Ep. 007: Batman: The Animated Series

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 007: Batman: The Animated Series

Chaos Theater Ep. 007 - "Batman: The Animated Series"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 103 mins, 46 sec. (1:43:46) 47.6 MB

Special Guest Host: Dale Rausch (opening and Batman)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:23:58

02. Discussion: "Batman: The Animated Series"
Runtime: 0:24:27 - 1:28:35

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:29:01 - 1:43:20

MAHQ co-founder Dale Rausch makes his Chaos Theater debut to join us for some sacred cow skewering, followed by a discussion of the classic Batman: The Animated Series. We discuss the 1990s series up through the Gotham Knights season, along with discussion of the movies Mask of the Phantasm, Sub-Zero and very briefly Mystery of the Batwoman. Next time, the Pedobears reunite as Peter, aka Destiny_Gundam, joins us for a discussion of the anime series Star Driver: Takuto of the Radiance.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Batman: The Animated Series theme" by Danny Elfman
"Main Title" from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm by Shirley Walker

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Wingnut

Re: Episode 007: Batman: The Animated Series

"I am vengeance.
I am the night.
I. Am. BATMAN!"
*thunder and lightning effects*
Downloading now.

EDIT: Manditory BGM for the thread.
Loved the episode, grew up with this stuff, still love it to this day.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
hotlimit

Dang, I've gotta download this right away! That show bothered me a lot when I was a kid - though it was sooooo good. Gave me a real respect for DC comics that I never had (Marvel for life!). Favorite ep had to be the one where Bruce ends up on a chain gang somehow.
Wingnut

hotlimit wrote:Dang, I've gotta download this right away! That show bothered me a lot when I was a kid - though it was sooooo good. Gave me a real respect for DC comics that I never had (Marvel for life!). Favorite ep had to be the one where Bruce ends up on a chain gang somehow.
I remember that one. Bruse was going undercover as a bum in an effort to try and trace down a string of missing persons and ended up losing his memory for a little while. Mega funny moment in that episode resulting in the interaction between Alfred and the Batwing's computer while looking for Bruce.

Edit: What do you guys this of this idea?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
jcncasval76

I have several interesting notes I have noticed in some of the voice castings as I did my research while listening this episode (please tell me if I miss anything): asides from voicing Mr. Freeze, Michael Ansara played Kang in the Star Trek TV universe in more than one occasion; fellow Star Trek actors like Ron Perlman (Clayface) starred in Hellboy movies & the fake Methos in the Highlander the TV Series, Kate Mulgrew (Red Claw) was Captain Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager; Robert Ito (Kyodai Ken) made appearances on multiple movies and TV Series; John Warner (Ra's Al Ghul) played Gorkon on Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Series; the late Brock Peters (Lucius Fox) played Admiral Cartwright & Joseph Sisko; Melissa Gilbert (Batgirl) guess-starred on Babylon 5 one-time opposite her now-ex-husband Bruce Boxleitner (don't remember which season when that happened); Richard Moll (Two-Face) was co-starring in "Night Court" and guess starred on Highlander the Series; John Glover (The Riddler) played Lionel Luthor in Smallville, and ironically co-starred in a small role with the disaster known as Batman & Robin (btw, I still owned that on VHS); and finally, Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (Alfred) had been so many TV series in the decades past prior to voicing as Alfred, including an appearance on Babylon 5. Alongside Kevin Conroy & Mark Hamil, even with some of the flaws, the series is a timeless classic just by such impressive voice casting.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Mu La Flaga

Well I guess I can know what to expect next episode as part of the Straight Talk Express on Gundamn.
Apart from a bit on the Gundam Age fanrage lately.

I don't always get vocal about every single game or anime series under the sun.
Prince of Darkness is going to be one of those things I'm in the minnority for it.
Also once again as I said in the thread on my final post there, I apologize for getting so vocal about that one thing.

I mean I can try other places for opinions sometimes and take it as the end all be all.
ANN's median/average rating for it is "good"

I'm going to have opinions that will clash with yours on further things from this episode but I can live with it better this time(took a little advice on board),
a few replies of mine in brief for video game good/bad adaptations.

I will say this much for Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat Annihilation.
Mortal Kombat, it hasn't aged well but let's compare it to te shitty sequel Annihilation.

Firstly casting wise, they let go of Linden Ashby, Christopher Lambert, Bridgette Wilson are all recast.

Secondly Shao Kahn's actor was half assing it or not as intimidating as I thought he would be.
It didn't help on top of that, Annihilation had short fights or sometimes cheap ways of killing characters(hello Rain and Sheeva namely).

The costumes were cheap and noticable Shao Kahn in a damn rubber looking helmet, I could see it on the frills of the skull type helmet he wears.

And finally, Shang Tsung(Carry-Hiroyuki Tagawa) was good.

Resident Evil movies I agree with Pedro on.
Come on Chris, does that mean your going to have some secret murder plot scheduled for me and Pedro just because we disgaree with you on the Resident Evil movies? :P

The straigh talk express secret assassins, taking out the people who disagree with Chris Guanche. :P
(slowly once you get a hit&run on someone)
EXTERMINATE!

Tekken was pretty crap, I thought Carry would help as Heihachi, but nope, Kazuya ended up being a punk.
Jin ended up having a romance with Christie over Eddie Gordo.
Xiayou was nowhere to be found and I could go on about this movie.

Also I really enoyed the Batman TAS discussion, I never did get to see that series in full.
It was the only DC series which had any real appeal to me

I also know Mark Hammil did some voice work for other animated works back around then.
Such as the 90s Hulk and Spiderman off the top of my head.

Batman does have this unnique quality to it in a way.
Kind of know wht Chris means when say you see that CG the 90s Spiderman used for going through the city at times.

Anyway that is all I have got and once again I offer up my apology.
Even though probably wont change much, at least I know I'm not part of the Gundam Age bashing lately...unlike a certain mechatalk user.

Sorry Chris if your going to be disgareeing again with me or have a bone or 10 to pick with me.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Administrator

While I did mention the Nadesico thing that popped up on Gundamn, I didn't mean to single you out personally. I was speaking to comments I've gotten from lots of people over the last 11 years. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was personally going after you.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chris.
No hard feelings over it, as I've said I've now apologized 3 different ways of sorts now. :P
I didn't realise(at first) your message was also directed at the past vocal lots who have also spoken about POD.
So I appreciate you clearing that up.

And no counterpoint on Mortal Kombat in comparisson to Annihilation?
(I stand by my points, Annihilation is just horrid in comparisson to the first Mortal Kombat)

I mean Annihilation aged horribly worse, adding on top of how bad that movie is to begin with.

I actually forgot about Street Fighter, I don't mind that one, it's on the same level of fun cheesy lines and things like MK was.

I never bothered with Legend of Chun-Li.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hotlimit

Glad you had that whole spiel about Metacritic, I've been trying to convince my logic-bound, matter-of-fact friend that that website is total BS, but he won't have any of it.

Honestly, it's that instant, arbitrary representation of whatever something is that people love so much. Be it the first piece of liner art for a new show (zomg these characters look so stupid, why do I OMG it's gonna suck!), a game score (OMG 7/10 worst game ever, nobody buy it!), or just a video game screenshot (OMG Vaan has a little vest on, he's so gay, FFXII sucks!!), people really cling to these things more than say, any kind of rational opinion - well formed or not.
snoops619

Ahhh, finally an episode I can really go to town on!

Much like Chris, this show was my gateway show. To everything. To anime, to comics, to the sort of art styles I like, to detective shows, to voice-actors. You name it, this show probably influenced me in it. It was such a beautiful show, with astounding music and story. I couldn't possibly sing it's praises enough.

Great show as ever guys.

Oh, and nice pick Pedro. Guiness is excellent.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Mekton GM

Best memory I have of Batman TAS is when i was 8 and my dad took me and a few friends to see Mask of the Phantasim in theaters. It was funny cus he was one of those "I could care less about this thing i spent over a hundred dollors on toys for junior" but at the end of the movie he was giveing it a standing ovation after it was over. Next thing I know when ever he was home and I was watching it, we'd watch togeather.

Like Chris this show also made me aprciate the more grown up story telling that can be done with animation. That plus the face that I grew up on the Voltron/Robotech Power Hour every saturday.
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
Vent Noir

Just finished listening. I bought the first Batman: TAS DVD boxset a while back, I need to get the others when I have some money to spare (there were four in total, right?)

I remember BTAS first airing at around about the same time as the 90s X-Men cartoon, and at the time I was more of an X-Men fan, though now I regard Batman as a better show (I also started off as a Marvel fan and am now more of a DC fan, although it remains to be seen if the reboot will change that).

Incidentally, Harley Quinn wasn't the only character that went from the show to the comics - Officer Renee Montoya was also brought in (and I think a few other minor characters)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chavelo

When I first started watching the show. I was around 8 or 9. And the things that stuck with me were the more adult themes. Especially the episode with the imposter robot batman. Where he believes he is the real batman. So much so that when he thinks he killed Batman, he can't live with having taken a life.

And I enjoyed the robots they had in the show. They had such a cool retro look to them xD

Also. Great show guys. I'm so glad I have the podcasts on here to listen to during work :)
NastyNate

Listened to this ep because of the recent plug about review discussion from gundamn. I would have to say that one reason I care about reviews is because unfortunately the mainstream world uses them as a guide for what to buy. I love playing lost planet 2 and I had a friend come over and see how cool it is but he went home and said he did not want to get it because it had an average score of 6 out of 10. I know he is stupid because of this but it is a shame how so many use these reviews to guide there opinions. I am actually in the process of making reviews for fun on YouTube and I want to talk about underrated games that really deserve more credit than they get. Such as Front Mission evolved, Gundam Crossfire, and Lost Planet 2. Thanks for sharing your opinion on the episode it was a great listen.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
AceAttorneyGundam

Show has hit the ground running now! The sacred cow bit was top notch and is Chris at his finest.

Talking about Batman really brought back fond memories and I loved to hear y'alls thoughts on it. The love of the show and the work that was done in preparing for this episode really showed. I was already hooked, but this is a good episode to point at for why!
KarateKidMcFly

I'm a bit late to this train, but I had to say...

Hate for Baby-Doll? Really? I thought that her into episode was great, though I prefered her look later on in The New Batman Adventures.
The Fowl Sorcerous

KarateKidMcFly wrote:I'm a bit late to this train, but I had to say...

Hate for Baby-Doll? Really? I thought that her into episode was great, though I prefered her look later on in The New Batman Adventures.
baby doll's first episode (like all their villain origin episodes) was fantastic, but later appearances really cheapened the core of the character (like a lot of their recurring villains).
Last edited by The Fowl Sorcerous on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[[lorem ipsum]]
animalia

Thank you for answering my questions. I cannot recommend the Animorphs books enough. While they are at a kids reading level they are very deep and incredibly violent at times. Most of all you get to see the impact of being kids in a war has on the protagonists as well as all the hard moral choices that they have to make and what it does to their souls.
FordR

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... ters_Bible

As posted by the chaos theater twitter, as I just noticed now, herp da derp.

Well now anyone who doesn't have twitter can see it too. :P

Though, I recall there being a batman spotlight thing that Gordon used...
AKA- TheTrueYup
Adisteve

Re: Ep. 007: Batman: The Animated Series

FordR Thanks for share wonderful link!!!!