The Official Gundam AGE Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Chris
Administrator

The Official Gundam AGE Mecha Thread Mk I

Ok, so the new Gundam series has been revealed. As usual, this will be the place for mecha discussion on the show. Please try to contain your self-righteous rage about how much garbage this will be and how it's destroying the franchise. I don't care about nor want to hear your fanboy rage.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Shinigam_Newtype

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Mecha Thread Mk I

This show is GOING TO SUCK!!!!!! it's going to make G Saviour and 00 season 2 look like Zeta!!!!!! It's the end of Gundam as we know it!!!!

Just kidding, It has an interesting premise, but I'll wait until I see the episode.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Wingnut

Given how long this one Gundam is hinted to be around, one would think there's some serious and perhaps crazy upgrades to be had in the later generations as they try to keep up with the rest of the world's military technology. In every universe save for Turn-A (I think) the resident military has stepped up their own mobile weapon programs to try and counter the big and nasty Gundam that's wrecking their stuff. Now we've been shown the base model along with two option sets so far, but I think those will all be used by the first generation and the second will have some kind of new option set(s) to improve the Gundam's performance to keep up with whatever else is being made at the time.

And more option sets means more gunpla to make and sell. I'm okay with this as it could be a return to just one Gundam (or a scarce few) being in the show, yet the toys for many still get to be made.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
JEFFPIATT

The lead gundam seems to be like the RX-78 but can attach mission packs like the F90 and Strike gundams. The Cardass element is very much an Bandai addition to there sponsored franchises they had Toei do it with Tensou Sentai Goseiger and KR Decade. it looks like it's gundams time to have an series with an trading card game integrated in to it.
Wingnut

JEFFPIATT wrote:The Cardass element is very much an Bandai addition to there sponsored franchises they had Toei do it with Tensou Sentai Goseiger and KR Decade. it looks like it's gundams time to have an series with an trading card game integrated in to it.
Or it could be something as simple as giving a Gundam a set of keys for the first time since Gundam X.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
SNT1

That has got to be the worst looking main Gundam of all time. The blue (armored?) one seems a teeny bit bearable though. The red one has absolutely horrendous colors.

Of course, given the nature of the show's plot, the latest upgrades may be something to hope for. But congrats, this is the dullest, lamest looking main Gundam I've seen :|
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Gundam0089

I didn't think Surnrise would pass on a second Gundam series with aliens. The Gundam designs are pretty neat, and the premise is interesting enough.

The only things I don't like is the character designs and the rumor that the Gundams are piloted by a...phone... :oops:
Sume Gai

From the Anime Thread
Deacon Blues wrote:MECHANICS

The Gundam AGE-1 is the main characters unit. Although it’s a machine, surprisingly, the Gundam grows with the “AGE SYSTEM”. It’s form seems to change with growth from experience in battle!

GUNDAM AGE-1 NORMAL
GUNDAM AGE-1 SPARROW (Speed Type) – A cool blue unit is the highlight. The enemy is torn to shreds with the cutting edge of the sharp Sigl Blade.
GUNDAM AVE-1 TITUS (Power Type) - Though it doesn’t appear to carry weapons, with it’s unbelievable destructive power it crushes the enemy.
Seems the good guys get an Evolving Gundam though it's unclear if they mean this in the same way as a learning computer or more like the Dark/Devil Gundam. The Titus is also something we haven't seen in a while either, not since G at least.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Siroh32

When I last posted over at A&M's own AGE thread, I didn't check to see if there was one about the mecha aspect of AGE here, and posted my reactions to it over there. For what it's worth, here it is, copied and pasted:
I wrote:When I first read the news on Gundam AGE on Gundam Guy's blog, I didn't completely read it through, and noted how Gundam AGE-1 looked more like an adolescent/young version of the RX-78-2; how the V-fin looked like it was growing out of the head, that the cockpit hatch--if it was one (and in retrospect I was likely incorrect on that assumption)--stood out and might not have "developed" smoothly into the torso just yet, and how it just seems to look "simpler" here and there in comparison to Okawara's RX-78, etc. *shrug*
In some small way, I seemed to have been right, but the AGE System not what I was exactly thinking. I know there's no vast amount of information released yet, but I wonder if the AGE System uses nanomachines to grow similarly to how Turn A uses nanomachines to repair itself.
Dark Duel

Sume Gai wrote:From the Anime Thread
Deacon Blues wrote:GUNDAM AGE-1 TITUS (Power Type) - Though it doesn’t appear to carry weapons, with it’s unbelievable destructive power it crushes the enemy.
Seems the good guys get an Evolving Gundam though it's unclear if they mean this in the same way as a learning computer or more like the Dark/Devil Gundam. The Titus is also something we haven't seen in a while either, not since G at least.
I see the comparison to Bolt Gundam appears to be validated.
As to the "evolving" thing, I had originally interpreted it as more of an ALICE-esque A.I. type thing, but Deacon's translation seems to hint more at "growth" as in a physical evolution of the external appearance of the Gundam itself - in which case it would be more similar to the Ultimate Gundam/Devil Gundam. Be interesting to see how it actually pans out.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
prince_of_zeon

The thing that grabbed me most about the AGE Normal is how much it truly rips off the RX-78, even moreso than the "hero" gundams of every other series. The chest vents and the front skirts in particular really evoke Amuro's original.

Favorite response I've heard so far is "What, no jewel on the forehead?? RAGE!!!" Interesting how this individual's favorite suit from 00 was the Reborns Gundam...
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Dark Duel

Well, Reborns had the "forehead jewel" thing, actually.

Other than that yeah, has to be probably one of the two most deliberately blatant RX-78-homage designs I've ever seen (The other being 0 Gundam), and definitely the most blatant protagonist-design ever.
Its head, oddly, reminds me more of V Gundam's.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SonicSP

I personally like the main base Gundam so far (probably my favourite modern rendition of the RX-78 so far), though not necessarily their two variants. The red one is more bearable than thr Lue one in my opinion, based on the current screenshots.

I wonder how the enemies would look like, it would be interesting to see the other suits of this series.
reeoyuy

Fanart already?

Finally a lead Gundam with unconventional v-fin placement (excluding Turn A of course). Arios is the first one with that kind of v-fin IIRC, but Arios isn't main Gundam. Also those blue fins on the back is unique too.
Heecarl_Reez

Fanart already?
Well, they are quick, indeed

First time Impression at Age-1 it is like the combination of Astraea+ RX 78-2, and it do has very Okawara style impression. I do like the torso to head parts which has modern/00 influence to it, and that V-fin is charming :D. The lower body parts probably is too RX 78-2, but overall I'm leaning to like the design - Titas/Sparrow needs to impress me in motion though. :P
Laevatein

Gundam AGE-1, plus Titus and Sparrow forms models

Looking at the base the two change forms, the changes appear much more drastic than just slapping on armor or add-ons. Both alternate forms ditch the white part of the hip armor, and the blue Sparrow form has much thinner arms and legs than the base form.
reeoyuy

Heecarl_Reez wrote: Well, they are quick, indeed
Interesting. I guess being very basic design it has benefit of easy stylization using different art style. I like that Katoki-fied one.

I thought Titus is heavy gunner mode like Virtue, but it looks like a heavy brawler or something. Now, is this the unknown enemy?
Heecarl_Reez

Looking at the base the two change forms, the changes appear much more drastic than just slapping on armor or add-ons. Both alternate forms ditch the white part of the hip armor, and the blue Sparrow form has much thinner arms and legs than the base form.
My guess that it will swap it's arms, and lower body parts, keeping only the body. The clearer scans seems indicating so but let's see..
I thought Titus is heavy gunner mode like Virtue, but it looks like a heavy brawler or something. Now, is this the unknown enemy?
My first impression of Titus is Bolt+Maxter, but putting that aside the LQ scan do mention that creature name, 'Gafran' (Gafuran). The small text describe it as 'Alien like unknown enemy that attacking humanity....' (Eirian no youna nazo no teki ga jinrui ni osoikakaru..'- CMIIW)
Last edited by Heecarl_Reez on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gundam0089

reeoyuy wrote:
Heecarl_Reez wrote: Well, they are quick, indeed
Interesting. I guess being very basic design it has benefit of easy stylization using different art style. I like that Katoki-fied one.

I believe so, translators described the wording as like "unknown enemy like an alien striking at humanity".
Geoxile

reeoyuy wrote:Fanart already?

Finally a lead Gundam with unconventional v-fin placement (excluding Turn A of course). Arios is the first one with that kind of v-fin IIRC, but Arios isn't main Gundam. Also those blue fins on the back is unique too.
The first ricer gundam? Well...unless you count SEED and Destiny's upgrades.