Ep. 078 - Fire and Gundamnation!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 078 - Fire and Gundamnation!

So got a chance to make a more so full reply and all.
So I listend to the Apocalypse bit that was an interesting discussion I had the feeling were missing 1-2 possible ones or ones that almost happened.

Like SEED Destiny with Break the World for instance wrought some havoc on Earth for a little while.

Simillarly Gundam Wing and Libra almost crashing in to Earth they reckoned it would have set off a pretty bad nuclear winter or dust cloud on Earth.

I will listen to the Gundam Sousei bit later on I'm curious to listen to it in full.
Need to do that.
mobiusdiablo

Oh Gundam Sousei...that one really, really cracked me up. I'm sure that Tomino did a bit more of his inaccurate describing to get stuff like Ideon passed. I am surprised though in the Apocalypse segment, you didn't touch Turn A (or at least not that much). Well then again, considering how far the story was set from said doomsday, it probably didn't count.

As far as other ones I know of, most of, if not the entire Armored Core franchise (I hear Neo and Chris complaining about its complexity now) is usually set a short deal after an apocalypse, and in the case of Armored Core 4/For Answer, you are practically in an apocalypse and have the option to begin another one depending on the paths you choose.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Chris
Administrator

mobiusdiablo wrote:As far as other ones I know of, most of, if not the entire Armored Core franchise (I hear Neo and Chris complaining about its complexity now) is usually set a short deal after an apocalypse, and in the case of Armored Core 4/For Answer, you are practically in an apocalypse and have the option to begin another one depending on the paths you choose.
I don't have a problem with Armored Core, but it's just not my thing. However, because I run MAHQ, people assume that I'm heavily involved with every mecha video game franchise there is, and that's just not the case. That's what annoys me, not the games.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
mobiusdiablo

Chris wrote:
mobiusdiablo wrote:As far as other ones I know of, most of, if not the entire Armored Core franchise (I hear Neo and Chris complaining about its complexity now) is usually set a short deal after an apocalypse, and in the case of Armored Core 4/For Answer, you are practically in an apocalypse and have the option to begin another one depending on the paths you choose.
I don't have a problem with Armored Core, but it's just not my thing. However, because I run MAHQ, people assume that I'm heavily involved with every mecha video game franchise there is, and that's just not the case. That's what annoys me, not the games.
Fair enough. I can see why it's not for everyone, especially as how you and Neo put it in the episodes. I personally get a lot of fun tinkering with my machines to precise detail (something that 4/FA have actually simplified against the previous games but I digress), but others probably don't care for that and just want to have explosions or however Neo so eloquently put it. :twisted:
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
yazi88

Xabungle also casts a comedic spin on a post apocalyptic world like Gundam X and acts like King Gainer at times instead on Desert Wasteland instead of snow and fighting bandits instead of making a pilgrimage. Same thing with Desert Punk.

The recent Casshern Sins is also post apocalyptic then again the original Casshern series was like that too.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Trigun.
Mu La Flaga

Just dropping a note since listened to the Gundam Sousei bit, seems rather funny and interesting parody entry for Gundam and all.
Lightknight

What was that connie-something blog you mentioned ? Cant find anything like that anywhere. You dont put a link, you dont bother to spell it...was it conniedrop.com ? Cause thats what it sounded like.
Chris
Administrator

Wow, you're way off. It's Colony Drop and that's pretty clear. If you couldn't make it out, you could've also gone into the Mailbag thread.
Lightknight

Well sorry for not being an obsessed fanboy to pick up a reference even if its pronounced unclearly.
Chris
Administrator

And I don't need to hear any attitude from you, buddy. It's not my fault if you can't hear things properly.
kayone73

Lightknight wrote:What was that connie-something blog you mentioned ? Cant find anything like that anywhere. You dont put a link, you dont bother to spell it...was it conniedrop.com ? Cause thats what it sounded like.
It's pretty obvious it's 'colonydrop' since that's a gundam reference. Just FYI
Mr Bushido

Lightknight looks like an obvious troll given the guy's second post. Not worth responding to a child.

Anyways listened to the episode during FanimeCon and coincidentally when I heard you mentioned about the Rapture, there were Christian extremists protesting against the con lol. On a serious note, I've given Sousei a read while back but never really got into it but I took another shot and found it really enjoyable. I loved the part where Ikeda turned into Char. Brilliant.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
wraith1701

Another great episode, Gundamn team. You guys have a great group dynamic. It always makes for an entertaining show. And soulbro; my hat's off to you for always keeping your cool while under fire. 8)

Keep the shows coming guys; everything you do is greatly appreciated. :)
Koshernova

Fab episode you guys! Thanks for indulging all my questions :)

I found it a bit odd you didn't go into much detail on Colony Drop. Damn! Here I was hoping to spark some big debate or somesuch.

Also: Loved the discussion on Gundam Sousei, which I'd deeply enjoyed and had never made the Transmet connection. The ending of the comic is also quite fantastic. Hell, all of it is. But one question for me remains: what does 'sousei' mean?

Keep up the good work x
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Chris
Administrator

We didn't dwell long about Colony Drop because there wasn't much we had to say. If the question had been something like what we thought of that Robotech loser Doug Bendo, then yeah, there would've been more discussion.

Sousei means creation/birth, so in total the title tells you what the series is going to be about.
kayone73

Kosh wrote:Fab episode you guys! Thanks for indulging all my questions :)

I found it a bit odd you didn't go into much detail on Colony Drop. Damn! Here I was hoping to spark some big debate or somesuch.

Also: Loved the discussion on Gundam Sousei, which I'd deeply enjoyed and had never made the Transmet connection. The ending of the comic is also quite fantastic. Hell, all of it is. But one question for me remains: what does 'sousei' mean?

Keep up the good work x
One site translates Sousei = Genesis.

Makes sense to me.

Incidentally, I just read that Itano was the animation director for Megazone 23 II, and given the level of ultraviolent detail, and 'Itano circus' style space battle animation sequences, I can appreciate this in a whole new way.