The People vs George Lucas (SW fan documentary)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
1-4-4

Re: The People vs George Lucas (SW fan documentary)

Amadi Akintunde wrote:
Raiden wrote:I don't mind the prequels either, well aside from the obvious complaints. Episode II's only enjoyable parts are the last 10 minutes...it just took so much time to get up to cause he paced it so slow. I remember distinctively laughing really hard the first time i saw Yoda fight..nobody saw that coming.

And speaking of fighs, I have to give the prequels credit for making lightsaber fights so much more enjoyable and exciting than in the original trilogy. In the original, it just seemed like they were just swinging it randomly and didn't have much choreography/martial arts like influence put into it.
The fights in the Originals had much more emotion and meaning packed into them, really. I loved Episode V's ending duel because it felt so... genuine.
That's how I feel. I rewatched "Empire" recently and it really seemed to me that the movie was very well put together in general. The thing about Luke's duel with Vader is that Vader starts out toying with him, and then gradually the whole affair becomes more desperate for Luke. By the time they're out on the catwalks it's clear Luke's being overwhelmed...

The prequels... Well, I want to give 'em another chance. I didn't enjoy 'em too much the first time around but sometimes a few years worth of perspective can be just the thing...

One of the big problems with the prequels, though, IMO, is they follow Anakin's life story, and his eventual turn to evil... In Ep 3 he even personally kills Jedi, and the trainee kids. He went from being a sympathetic character to a villain, and the prequels took on the task of telling us how that happened... Except they never really seemed to explain it adequately IMO.
Dark Duel

The main problem I've always had with the prequels, or more to the point with II and III, is the pacing.
The first one, you have Anakin as a nine-year-old kid competing in the futuristic/sci-fi equivalent of the chariot race from Ben Hur.
Then all of a sudden the movies skip forward a whole lot, and then everything is crammed together over a very short period of time, which makes it feel extremely rushed.
And IMO, it stretches suspension of disbelief well beyond the breaking point because we're supposed to believe Anakin goes from angry but essentially well-meaning to a complete monster who murders children in cold blood essentially overnight?

I'm sorry, but IMO that's completely absurd.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Zball

Yeah, but that lightsaber duel with Darth Maul in Episode I was the greatest. Admit it.
Whatever works.
Amadi Akintunde

Zball wrote:Yeah, but that lightsaber duel with Darth Maul in Episode I was the greatest. Admit it.
...I'll bite, it was. Even if certain parts of it practically screamed "too much choreography".
Dark Duel wrote:The main problem I've always had with the prequels, or more to the point with II and III, is the pacing.
The first one, you have Anakin as a nine-year-old kid competing in the futuristic/sci-fi equivalent of the chariot race from Ben Hur.
Then all of a sudden the movies skip forward a whole lot, and then everything is crammed together over a very short period of time, which makes it feel extremely rushed.
And IMO, it stretches suspension of disbelief well beyond the breaking point because we're supposed to believe Anakin goes from angry but essentially well-meaning to a complete monster who murders children in cold blood essentially overnight?

I'm sorry, but IMO that's completely absurd.
Yeah, this I agree with. Anakin's fall was rather quick. Though if the Clone Wars shows (and in certain cases, the comics) are anything to go by, he was touched by temptation quite a few times between all the movies.
Dark Duel

If you ask me, the entire Clone Wars cartoon/comic stuff is more than anything else an attempt at fixing that problem.
Which, while I will concede that it does its job, the simple fact that it does speaks volumes about the quality (or lack thereof) of the movies.
Yeah, but that lightsaber duel with Darth Maul in Episode I was the greatest. Admit it.
EVERYTHING about Maul was freaking badass. His lightsaber, his ship, the duels he was in; hell, Duel of the Fates IMO is one of the most awesome pieces of BGM ever. (Outside of SRW anyway)

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amadi Akintunde

Dark Duel wrote:If you ask me, the entire Clone Wars cartoon/comic stuff is more than anything else an attempt at fixing that problem.
Which, while I will concede that it does its job, the simple fact that it does speaks volumes about the quality (or lack thereof) of the movies.
Hey, that's what I think too! :D
Dark Duel wrote:
EVERYTHING about Maul was freaking badass. His lightsaber, his ship, the duels he was in; hell, Duel of the Fates IMO is one of the most awesome pieces of BGM ever. (Outside of SRW anyway)
Yeah, pretty much. That duel is my second most watched duel, second only to the Duel on Cloud City.

It's a shame that Duel of the Fates is one of the most overused pieces for everything Star Wars related, though.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Amadi Akintunde wrote: Yeah, this I agree with. Anakin's fall was rather quick. Though if the Clone Wars shows (and in certain cases, the comics) are anything to go by, he was touched by temptation quite a few times between all the movies.
Paraphrasing Harry Plinkett: Don't tell me it's explained in some book or comic or video game! Why isn't it in the [expletive] movie?! :twisted: :lol:

In any case it seems Lucas is up to something new. What do I have to say about it? No no no a thousand times NO! Why does he have to invent a new technology for his projects over the last 12 years? I'm sure they could make a great Star Wars TV show with the same kind of budget that Battlestar Galactica had and it would still look awesome. Oy, I find it bitterly ironic that Lucas himself once said "A special effect without a story is pretty boring."
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Amadi Akintunde

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Paraphrasing Harry Plinkett: Don't tell me it's explained in some book or comic or video game! Why isn't it in the [expletive] movie?!
It's hard to explain the flow of events in little more than two hours while telling the story of current events, you know. So that paraphrasing was useless.
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote: In any case it seems Lucas is up to something new. What do I have to say about it? No no no a thousand times NO! Why does he have to invent a new technology for his projects over the last 12 years? I'm sure they could make a great Star Wars TV show with the same kind of budget that Battlestar Galactica had and it would still look awesome. Oy, I find it bitterly ironic that Lucas himself once said "A special effect without a story is pretty boring."
As he said in many interviews, the production costs for each episode of the Star Wars Live Action series are practically theatrical in budget. Believe it or not, he (nor any other big shot Hollywood director) can't afford $200,000,000 per episode. If it takes him a while to come up with a more economically feasible way of "making movies", then I can wait. I just hope the quality of the production won't suffer for it.

And I also hope this production team isn't full of yes-men like there were in the Prequels. Lucas has already admitted to that mistake, and the first fruit of his new labors has been The Clone Wars. I'd like to see what he's got for this.
Mu La Flaga

Just on a note the Darth Maul fight was definetely the best.
But didn't anyone like Vader vs Obi-wan on Mustafar?

Palpatine vs Yoda was quick but fast paced powerful blows and force using showing off.
Dark Duel

Mu La Flaga wrote:But didn't anyone like Vader vs Obi-wan on Mustafar?
To be perfectly honest...Not particularly, no :D

Mu La Flaga

Well it was longer and better then Yoda vs Palpatine.
Since as I said, the fight wasn't as quick and actually got interesting at times.
Amadi Akintunde

Mu La Flaga wrote:Just on a note the Darth Maul fight was definetely the best.
But didn't anyone like Vader vs Obi-wan on Mustafar?

Palpatine vs Yoda was quick but fast paced powerful blows and force using showing off.
I did like it, but I feel that it dragged on a bit too long at times. And once they got outside all you could see was red and blue.

Yoda vs Sidious however, was pretty spiffy. Especially with that arrange of Duel of the Fates in its final act.
Zball

The Anakin v Obi Wan fight was awesome until it turned into a rave.
Whatever works.
Mu La Flaga

It actually only went that way at the start when Anakin ranted on about his faith in the dark side and then at the end when Obi-wan tried to just in brief tell him how he pittied Vader.

The ranting wasn't as bad during the fight it was more like.
"It's time for you to die my old master"

Or something to that extent.