VOTOMS

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
1-4-4

Re: VOTOMS

MilkManX wrote: Watched Last Red Shoulder and Roots of Ambition yesterday.

Wow.

I really loved both of them. My only quibble was the kind of heavy handed Ypsiolon/Proto-One interaction in Last Red Shoulder.
I kind of liked Ypsilon's role in Last Red Shoulder. I think it gave his character more depth - clearer motivations for being fixated on Fyana, etc...

Roots of Ambition... I guess one thing that bugs me about that one is that it was the point where Chirico's knack for survival turned into a bona fide superpower. Dodging bullets at point blank range, recovering from that chest wound... I guess I've never been really sure how I feel about that.

As for Pailsen files - I say always go with production order.

I just watched Phantom Arc - enjoyed it a lot. I'm very pleased with it as the final Chirico story*.
Spoiler
Chirico's ending reminded me a bit of Goku's ending in DBZ...
I can't believe Wiseman survived and thought it was a good idea to involve Chirico in his plans again...
From the title I was worried that they might somehow resurrect Fyana... I'm glad they didn't. That would have been kind of dumb. Plus she was kind of a drag ever since she left Kunmen - needing to be constantly recharged and all that. It was getting kind of implausible.
I really need to watch Shining Heresy again - hopefully with subtitles this time... I really didn't understand enough of it the first time around.
(* Well, you know, except for "Alone Again", which is released after, but takes place before "Phantom Arc"...)
Last edited by 1-4-4 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MilkManX

Cool.

I am still re-watching the original show and am at the last episode of the Sunsa Arc.

Next is the God Planet Quent arc! :)

Then I will get back to the OVA's

:mrgreen:
...That day, the accursed war which had so disrupted my destiny ended. But its end was ultimately meaningless for me. The moment I saw her, my own private war had begun...a war for which there would be no end...
MilkManX

Finished the original show again.

Man what a ride.

The last few episodes really test your judgement of Chirico.
Now to get onto all of the OVA's...

:mrgreen:
...That day, the accursed war which had so disrupted my destiny ended. But its end was ultimately meaningless for me. The moment I saw her, my own private war had begun...a war for which there would be no end...
Bonesy!

I'm interested in hearing more opinions about Votoms Finder and CASE;Irvine aside from the MAHQ reviews of them. Anyone watched them/have any blog posts they've read?
DuelGundam2099

I'm interested in hearing more opinions about Votoms Finder and CASE;Irvine aside from the MAHQ reviews of them. Anyone watched them/have any blog posts they've read?
I've seen them, they're both very entertaining, more so with Case;Irvine.
Bonesy!

Finished Shining Heresy. I enjoyed it but the whole
Spoiler
fyana dying
bit was kinda frustrating
CyborgZeta

Yeah, that particular bit hasn't exactly endeared me to SH and the two OVAs that take place after it.
My Anime/Manga stats.
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
1-4-4

Eh. Fyana was such a drag after a while, though. Between the revelation that she needs to keep getting recharged, and the whole situation post-Ypsilon - and of course the fact that there were people who wanted to capture her and learn the secrets of her construction or whatever - Chirico just couldn't take her anywhere without her being a major drag. She was no longer the Phantom Lady of Uoodo, rebelling against her bosses, trying to understand who she was and reconcile her feelings toward Chirico, etc. - as soon as she left Kunmen she was Chirico's pet dog, constantly yapping. And with the high cost of maintenance it was just a matter of time before she got put down. I'm just glad she stayed dead. I don't mean that in a mean-spirited way, just I hate when characters are resurrected - it's so cheap... I was afraid the "Phantom Arc" was going to feature her return somehow.
DuelGundam2099

I just had to read 1-4-4's post. :(

Well, I found the old series yesterday at *insert site here* and am up to episode 14. This series may have slow spots, but when it wants action it gets it and with massive amounts of fighting and explosions. The only question I have so far is where did the Standing Tortoises come from in ep 13? It's like they just popped out of nowhere near the end, said "hi" with their guns, and left.

Since this is the VOTOMS topic anyone mind telling me the names of the armored troopers from Finder? I'm curious since I haven't seen any and at least with Case;Irvine I found out through the Japanese Wikipedia they're called Dark Dog and Bloody Dog.
SH2012

gale_wolf wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:I hope we'll be able to watch it without knowing what goes on in Shining Heresy.
I recall hearing that Shining Heresy was supposed to be 12 eps but was cut short by office politics and without telling the story that Takahashi wanted. 12 eps cut to 5 sounds like a lot of story left out. He supposedly hated the final result and said he'd never return to that time in the Astragius Galaxy because of Shining Heresy's flawed ending. Also something or other about not letting creative control for VOTOMS be taken by anyone else because they'd screw it up.

I don't know whether this is all true or not, but after watching Shining Heresy I can well believe it.
I'm very curious to know exactly WHAT part of the storyline Takahashi was upset with. Did they mention anything specifically? I know what I would have changed! Heresy is not an easy one to re-watch, but you have to watch everything in the Votoms universe, in order, at some point. :)