Marvel Comic's "Thor"

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Kishiria

Marvel Comic's "Thor"

I saw it Saturday night in an advance screening for the military. We loved it. I've never read the comic, but if it's anything resembling the movie, I want to.

It's kind of hard for me to review this since I don't know the comic, but it is fast-paced, full of action and a few laughs, and fun. The actor who plays Thor himself is smoking hot, and I usually don't pay attention to hunky men.

The movie is the lead-in to "The Avengers". Given how thrilled one of the people I saw the movie with became, I'm thinking I'll be leading an expedition when this one debuts as well.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Marvel Comic's "Thor"

I saw this movie like 2 weeks and 3 days back over in my part of the world.
It's a pretty good movie and the man your thinking of is Chris Hemsworth who played Thor.

I liked this movie alot, the cast was good, the story had an interesting setting simply because of how he characters were always based off the Norse mythology.

So anyway, it was just good and had this very well made feel to it, all in all.

Just my thoughts on it, in brief.
Dendrobium Stamen

It seems to have gone on general release earlier in Blighty, which is an interesting reversal of the usual trend (excluding Brit-flicks like The King's Speech of course!), and allows me to say this:

Thor was a great film! It ticks all the boxes for a good "origin story" film, keeps a pretty decent pace throughout, and in my view was at least as good a film as Iron Man; it's another one for Marvel Studios to be proud of. The fact that it was directed by Kenneth Branagh and had a story co-written by J. Michael Straczynski shows how seriously Marvel took this one: alongside The Dark Knight, it's one of the few comic adaptations which is also a critic-friendly "proper" film, in my opinion at least.

Of course, both this film and Captain America in two months' time are being released with a careful eye on getting the characters and their Marvel Cinematic Universe incarnations established in the mainstream film-going public consciousness before 2012's Avengers film... which is being penned and directed by Joss Whedon, by the by. And if that film is as enjoyable as this one was, it's going to be one hell of a film.

Chris Hemsworth, incidentally, should be familiar to the sci-fi fans around here, for his role as Lieutenant George Kirk in 2009's Star Trek. You can see why Kirk is such an epic character, his dad is the Norse God of Thunder after all! :P
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Dendrobium Stamen wrote: Chris Hemsworth, incidentally, should be familiar to the sci-fi fans around here, for his role as Lieutenant George Kirk in 2009's Star Trek. You can see why Kirk is such an epic character, his dad is the Norse God of Thunder after all! :P
Get outta town! I guess I didn't recognize him without the Starfleet uniform and all his spouting off of "How DARE you attack the Son of Odin!!!"
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Imperial

Slapping on all that muscle and growing out his hair probably helped him shake a lot of familiarity, too.

I wasn't planning to see this movie due to my dislike of Thor (as a concept more than a character), but it's been getting enough buzz from the right places that I've decided to give it a chance. This movie may finally make a believer out of me.
This space for rent
kayone73

My thoughts:
- I like the change of Asgardians from actual deities to superpowerful high tech aliens.
- The over dramatic opera of Asgard needed the real world goofiness on earth, if the movie was entirely one way or the other, would have sucked
- Chris Hemsworth was fairly charming as Thor, his performance could have been a LOT worse, he played early Thor well, a superpowered douche
- I'm glad they did away with the Dr Blake secret identity other thN the little injoke
- Natalie Portmans worst performance yet since Star Wars
- Asgard looked effin badass
- Loved the inclusion of most of the key Asgardian players from the classic comic books, Sif, the Warriors Three (Fandral, Hogun, Volstagg) and they kept the look of the characters pretty close to the comic counterparts while slightly updating their outfits not to look totally retardo.
- While I thought Anthony Hopkins was a terrible choice for Odin from the stills, I thought he wore the role well during the movie even if he is just a tiny welshman and not a Nordic barbarian warrior

For folks not familiar with Chris Hemsworth (Star Trek basically introduced him to americans), he should be a household name to the Aussies since he was a star in their long running TV series 'Neighbours'.

btw a quick youtube search on Hemsworth doing acting in Australia all yield scenes of him topless and at the beach, lol
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

I went to see this the day after general release, and it was the first movie since Avatar where I've seen the movie thater packed. I found a single parking space on the far side of the parking lot, and found one seat, only because nobody wanted it since it was behind a really tall guy whose head partially blocked my view of the screen. >.>

I definitely thought it was worth it. (the mini-running gag of hitting Thor with a car was especially great :)) It was definitely corny in some parts (especially with Thor's "death and rebirth"), but I thought the movie overall overcame that. And you can't hate cameos. :) *coughHAWKEYEcoughcough* And I especially liked the blatant self-advertising: "Thor will return for The Avengers." One year to go 'til that.

Now, one week until Pirates 4........
Raiden

I didn't really go in to this movie expecting it to be filled with jokes. But hey...the comedy was actually quite well done XD.

Kayone pretty much said everything i would agree with, but i will add that even the avenger references with Selvig referring to Bruce Banner and Coulson referring to Tony literally were actually well done. And spoiler warning to a cameo
Spoiler
Really didn't expect Jeremy Renner to be there in person! Especially since he was casted pretty late but damn was that awesome!
And the score for the film...felt really epic. :D \

Hope Capt. America does just as well as this. But overall i think Marvel is doing a great job leading to the Avengers.
Kenji

About when Thor got his powers back, I was thinking to myself, "Damn, this is gonna be a long-ass movie!"

Then it all resolved itself in, like, twenty minutes.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on Thor. The resources they had to draw on, from acting to special effects, were so impressive that I felt let down by the final result. Frankly, I would've much rather seen all of this put toward making a movie version of Ragnarök, or even Der Ring des Nibelungen, than Marvel Comics's heavily diluted version.

I know I should judge the comic book movie by its own merits, but compared to the untapped moviemaking potential of the Norse gods, how can I be anything but disappointed?
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."