Perfect gundam game (nothings perfect though)

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
halo1000

Re: Perfect gundam game (nothings perfect though)

Enileph wrote:
J-Lead wrote:Two things; A cockpit view, and a competent dev team that actually wants to put out a quality title. Seriously, screw Japanese devs and their ridiculous aversion to an optional first person perspective. I'm pretty confident that the mecha sections of Killzone 2 & 3 were better than anything they're capable of putting out, and those were what, fifteen minutes long each? VS, JTJ and EIS-style gamplay will only work for so long, it's time they made a Gundam game with a friggin sense of immersion.

That, or for god sake, hand the IP over to a reputable Western developer (yeah I said it, do somethin' *grabs crotch*) since Japanese development teams seem WAY to comfortable with the fact that Gundam is immensely popular in their home country and will sell no matter what to actually put any considered effort into the IP. (Yes, I'm well aware of Front Mission Evolved and how bad it was, yet all things considered, it was still better than 80% of the Gundam games I've played.)

I once had the idea of a Bioware style RPG/simulator series taking place in the UC timeline, complete with a customizable main character that stays with you throughout the timeline, with each game taking place in a conflict from 0079-0088, and later down the line, you'll be able to recruit characters from sidestories to the AEUG Mass Effect-style, like Matt Healy, Ford Romfellow, and Agar, or maybe even Kou Uraki and Christina Mackenzie, thus expanding on their stories past 0079-0084, and perhaps some ace pilots like Tenneth A Jung and Led Wayline (amnesiac Johnny Ridden.)
NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. Cause last time some Western got their hands on UC, they make a piece of carp movie that is such a disgrace that the movie enters the forbidden lore status, where you can no longer find any reference of them in any timelines on any official website.
What is this movie? I know not of which you speak.
ydawg314

Enileph wrote: NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. Cause last time some Western got their hands on UC, they make a piece of carp movie that is such a disgrace that the movie enters the forbidden lore status, where you can no longer find any reference of them in any timelines on any official website.

The best chance is to induce a co-operation project. and hope for the best. Asking the japanese to make a western style game would produce works of fail like that certain UC game on the 360 system...
I think hes talking about the G savior movie?
It can be done you just need people who are hardcore fans and Bandai just to supervise.
halo1000 wrote:
Cannot believe I never thought of this!! You sir are winning this thread right now.

:mrgreen:
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
Gatx

J-Lead wrote:That, or for god sake, hand the IP over to a reputable Western developer (yeah I said it, do somethin' *grabs crotch*) since Japanese development teams seem WAY to comfortable with the fact that Gundam is immensely popular in their home country and will sell no matter what to actually put any considered effort into the IP. (Yes, I'm well aware of Front Mission Evolved and how bad it was, yet all things considered, it was still better than 80% of the Gundam games I've played.)

I once had the idea of a Bioware style RPG/simulator series taking place in the UC timeline, complete with a customizable main character that stays with you throughout the timeline, with each game taking place in a conflict from 0079-0088, and later down the line, you'll be able to recruit characters from sidestories to the AEUG Mass Effect-style, like Matt Healy, Ford Romfellow, and Agar, or maybe even Kou Uraki and Christina Mackenzie, thus expanding on their stories past 0079-0084, and perhaps some ace pilots like Tenneth A Jung and Led Wayline (amnesiac Johnny Ridden.)
On the flip side, in America, the Gundam IP is a complete joke as far as videogames go and probably wouldn't get the respect it deserves.
ydawg314 wrote:
iKhaotic wrote:Unrelated, Im still waiting to see a xbox kinnect version of G gundam
Hell yes.
halo1000

ydawg314 wrote:
Enileph wrote: NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. Cause last time some Western got their hands on UC, they make a piece of carp movie that is such a disgrace that the movie enters the forbidden lore status, where you can no longer find any reference of them in any timelines on any official website.

The best chance is to induce a co-operation project. and hope for the best. Asking the japanese to make a western style game would produce works of fail like that certain UC game on the 360 system...
I think hes talking about the G savior movie?
It can be done you just need people who are hardcore fans and Bandai just to supervise.
I know, I was being sarcastic. That movie is never to be spoken about.
NastyNate

The best gundam game I think would be if they would take the idea of Operation Troy for the 360 and give it a big budget. That game looks amazing. It has online team deathmatch and you can be first or third person.

The best we have thus far are
Gundam 0081 ps3
Mobile Suit Gundam wii
Gundam perfect one year war ps2
Operation Troy (Mobile Ops) 360
Gundam vs Gundam psp

if they combined the good in these then there you go. :D
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
InjuredPelican

I have two good ideas for FUN Gundam games, FUN being the key here.

1st. A game of the One Year War. You play as Amuro in 1st person mode, the entire time. You can roam the White Base and other areas in between missions, talk to your allies, advance plot lines, etc. When comes the fighting, you, as Amuro, pilot Gundam. It needs to be a really good 1st person games, with huge scale and graphics. Good game design on close combat and tactics would be cool too. The key thing for me, is to have characters though. Gundam, as awesome as the mecha are, is really about characters. So an RPG like setting seems like a good fit. My favorite scenes from MSG and Z are usually character interactions on the ship. Some good scripting and voice acting, and maybe even dialogue choices would be great. Plus, 1st person Bright Slaps. Enough said.

2nd. If you ever played Star Wars Battlefront, namely the second, you'll know where I'm coming from for this one. Two military factions opposed on various maps, each team has their soldiers, engineers, scouts, artillery, and then specialized units. Hero units can be unlocked for a duration, which would include Gundams and super Zeon types (Char's stuff). What would be cool is to not limit it to just Fed VS Zeon. It could stretch across all of MSG, Z, ZZ, and CCA, each map/faction changing according to era, much like in Star Wars Battlefront you have the Empire versus rebels and Clones versus Droids. A SEED/Destiny version would be cool too.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
quasadra

InjuredPelican wrote:2nd. If you ever played Star Wars Battlefront, namely the second, you'll know where I'm coming from for this one. Two military factions opposed on various maps, each team has their soldiers, engineers, scouts, artillery, and then specialized units. Hero units can be unlocked for a duration, which would include Gundams and super Zeon types (Char's stuff). What would be cool is to not limit it to just Fed VS Zeon. It could stretch across all of MSG, Z, ZZ, and CCA, each map/faction changing according to era, much like in Star Wars Battlefront you have the Empire versus rebels and Clones versus Droids. A SEED/Destiny version would be cool too.
this is what Operation Troy tries to be, too bad it is kinda... underwhelming.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
ydawg314

quasadra wrote:
InjuredPelican wrote:2nd. If you ever played Star Wars Battlefront, namely the second, you'll know where I'm coming from for this one. Two military factions opposed on various maps, each team has their soldiers, engineers, scouts, artillery, and then specialized units. Hero units can be unlocked for a duration, which would include Gundams and super Zeon types (Char's stuff). What would be cool is to not limit it to just Fed VS Zeon. It could stretch across all of MSG, Z, ZZ, and CCA, each map/faction changing according to era, much like in Star Wars Battlefront you have the Empire versus rebels and Clones versus Droids. A SEED/Destiny version would be cool too.
this is what Operation Troy tries to be, too bad it is kinda... underwhelming.
True the game had many flaws almost like it wasnt tested well before release. I mean I cant say I didn't spawn camp and troll players myself but that was a huge issue. that said I found it very entertaining 4 on 4 games were sick.
Battle my brute
InjuredPelican

Operation Troy however uses human soldiers in gameplay. I only want MS combat for my Battlefront game. Do it like the 3rd person shooter that Battlefront is and it will make for a lot more fun. Support vehicles could be like the Gallop or BigTray. Even if inaccurate, perhaps MAs could be handled that way as well, really overpowered support vehicles, or just AI controlled support units, like the AT-ATs in Battlefront.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
ydawg314

Im adding a lot of those elements in my own game. the goal is to have the player feel like they are in a large scale battle even though it might just be conquest. There will be tanks, turrets, aircraft, MAs, battleships etc...
Battle my brute
Enileph

I think MA are not included most be because MS is a pretty one sided thing, and EFSF and MA do not usually mix well (don't tell me Ball is an MA too, those are just flying coffins).

Well How do I say this...

Do you know who Darth Vader is? How about Luke Skywalker? I am sure all of you would know who they are, even if you are not a star wars fan, even if you have nevar watched OT/PT, and even if you hate star wars.

Well, Gundam, esp UC, are just like that in Japan (and probably to many parts of asia too). Basically everyone have at least heard of Char, know what Gundam/Zaku are, etc. Basically there are specific atmostphere people would expact in a Gundam Universe.

To most people, Gundam game would involve in piloting an MS (mini game aside). Yes I am sure some hardcore fans would like to pull off a MS Igloo2 and go against a Zaku with a type61. but for the most part, MS Pilot. Operation Troy kinda force people to do the grunt thing rather than an MS pilot for a relatively long period of time. That, and the game is glitchy, and half-finished.

Its like having an online Football game, where someone would be assigned to be a benchwarmer, or even a waterboy. Its not fun, at least its not fun for many people.
InjuredPelican

Another idea I had was to take the Gundam vs Gundam format, but allow for up to 8 or even more players to duke it out like a battle royal or a small war. It would be the same good Gundam VS format, but with that much more chaos. I love chaos.
-Loran Cehack
ydawg314

Yooo one sick idea...
so G gundam game using kinnect but with battlefield 3 frostbyte engine. This way buildings can take damage and be used strategically.

the destruction was one of my favorite things about g gundam if they make a g gundam game it should incorperate it.
Enileph wrote:I think MA are not included most be because MS is a pretty one sided thing, and EFSF and MA do not usually mix well (don't tell me Ball is an MA too, those are just flying coffins).

Well How do I say this...

Do you know who Darth Vader is? How about Luke Skywalker? I am sure all of you would know who they are, even if you are not a star wars fan, even if you have nevar watched OT/PT, and even if you hate star wars.

Well, Gundam, esp UC, are just like that in Japan (and probably to many parts of asia too). Basically everyone have at least heard of Char, know what Gundam/Zaku are, etc. Basically there are specific atmostphere people would expact in a Gundam Universe.

To most people, Gundam game would involve in piloting an MS (mini game aside). Yes I am sure some hardcore fans would like to pull off a MS Igloo2 and go against a Zaku with a type61. but for the most part, MS Pilot. Operation Troy kinda force people to do the grunt thing rather than an MS pilot for a relatively long period of time. That, and the game is glitchy, and half-finished.

Its like having an online Football game, where someone would be assigned to be a benchwarmer, or even a waterboy. Its not fun, at least its not fun for many people.
Me and people i played with loved playing games without using ms. It made taking out ms more of an accomplishment
Battle my brute
rainix

That looks like a more exiting gundam game. It should be played on online mood with a server. This could at least easier to play along with friends and some other players on the internet.
BlackLion

Gameplay and graphics of Extreme Versus (boosting, shooting, melee)

Stages and style of Dynasty Warriors Gundam (thousands of enemies, huge open battlefields, story stages, upgradable suits)

Along with Gundam Sentinel, Gaia Gear, and G-Saviour.

Basically just DWG with way better fighting mechanics and a lot more suits to choose from.
iKhaotic

BlackLion wrote: Along with Gundam Sentinel, Gaia Gear, and G-Saviour.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkp7vycscB1qayhrz.gif

...No.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
BlackLion

iKhaotic wrote:
BlackLion wrote: Along with Gundam Sentinel, Gaia Gear, and G-Saviour.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkp7vycscB1qayhrz.gif

...No.
G-Saviour had a decent movie, an excellent PS2 game, and some great MS designs. I see no reason to exclude it any further than it has been already. I would love to see the G3 and the Raven in a second game.
iKhaotic

IMO, the movie didn't feel like Gundam at all. Sure it had some staples of Gundam, but the way it was approached felt weak, rushed, and unfinished. The designs were meh, the G-Saviour itself was ok, but most of the other MS didn't seem Gundam styled (was the mecha designer someone who hadn't done Gundam in the past?). I never got to play the PS2 game since it was imported and I was too young to bother with that stuff at the time.

To me, G-Saviour is to Gundam as The Spirits Within was to Final Fantasy. A new style of conveying their respective stories done poorly. Hopefully though, we will get an "Advent Children" for Gundam (same style, but done right).
BlackLion

iKhaotic wrote:IMO, the movie didn't feel like Gundam at all. Sure it had some staples of Gundam, but the way it was approached felt weak, rushed, and unfinished. The designs were meh, the G-Saviour itself was ok, but most of the other MS didn't seem Gundam styled (was the mecha designer someone who hadn't done Gundam in the past?). I never got to play the PS2 game since it was imported and I was too young to bother with that stuff at the time.

To me, G-Saviour is to Gundam as The Spirits Within was to Final Fantasy. A new style of conveying their respective stories done poorly. Hopefully though, we will get an "Advent Children" for Gundam (same style, but done right).
The mecha designer for G-Saviour is Kunio Okawara. You know, the guy who designed almost every Gundam in history including the original. The movie WAS rushed and underfunded, because Japan has a horrible movie industry and so has no idea what kind of resources / money it takes to make a Hollywood-tier movie. So we got a sci-fi B-flick that had an interesting plot and a nice ending fight.

Check out this scene of the game, it's a lot of fun and has some of the best music I've heard in a Gundam production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOVw8hk ... re=related

And the difference between the FF movies... well, Spirits was a good movie, but not Final Fantasy. Advent Children was a horrible movie, but was nothing but FF fanservice so the fans ate it up.
iKhaotic

Oh it was Kunio that did them? Alright then I take that back, I guess he wanted to try something new in terms of design for the movie then. I didn't say it was a bad movie though, just that it didn't feel very Gundam like, the movie it self was pretty decent and it did seem that the producer had a lot of ambition.

To get back on topic though, I checked out the gameplay video you posted and yeah, that does seem like a fun game. I like the fast paced smooth movement system like they have in Encounters in Space and Journey to Jaburo on the PS2, if they move away from the Dynasty Warriors engine for future Gundam games, they should definitely stick with the style of the PS2 games.