Any NHL fans on here? Thoughts on the 2011 Playoffs?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Fritz Ashlyn

Re: Any NHL fans on here? Thoughts on the 2011 Playoffs?

TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Wedge14

Ha! fritz this a playoffs thread. Wrong thread man! :P

I'm loving all the anti-shark sentiment. I guess being eliminated by jumbo joe and gutless Marlol two seasons in a row really takes it's toll.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Antares

Sorry to pop in here, not really related to NHL, Finland ice hockey world champions 2011 in Bratislava. Not much more to add, carry on. :mrgreen:
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
TetraVaal

Last night's game was crazy... I was flipping between the Lightning/Bruins, Indians/Royals, and the Thunder/Mavs, but seeing Tampa almost come back from being down 6 - 3 was remarkable. And even though Boston got the win, I still think there needs to be a lot of concern in regards to Thomas' goaltending right now. Boston still has A LOT of work to do if they want to have a shot at winning this series.
Wedge14

If eager doesn't win the Conn Smythe this league is officially a joke! :lol:

TetraVaal

Kevin Bieksa with the Gordie Howe hat trick (it was hilarious watching him punk Marleau). The Sharks always amuse me, even as a general fan of the NHL. They're the only team I can remember that always gets THIS close to the Cup, yet they always do choke. At what point does pride begin to carry you? They have none. If they don't win the Cup this year, then they're not going to win it for a while. Both Vancouver and Detroit will basically return with the same lineups next season and you know Chicago is going to rebound after this lackluster season. Nashville is only going to improve, and Anaheim is showing they're the best team after the Red Wings when it comes to replenishing talent. The ironic thing is, the Sharks are one of the most loaded teams in the West, but they aren't going to keep skating around the Wings, Hawks, Ducks, and others for a third straight year. I'll bet ANY Sharks fan on that.
Wedge14

I had a post allready to go but lost it because i switched from my home network to my school network. :evil:

I'd be more mad about last night, and upset at Eager if that wasn't exactly how i played when i was in highschool. Marleau dropping the gloves was a spectacle, Eager going nuts was hillarious. I enjoyed the game even though it was a pretty big blow. I said it before the sharks just seem to get lazy and over confident. It's still too early to throw in the towel though, and i'm sure they still have the golf course far away in their minds still.

Ducks and hawks and stacked theres no arguing about that. Young talent too.

I can't see the redwings really improving that much. If they keep the same lineup they're probably going to end up worse off then they are. They do have promising prospects, but so do most teams. It's all about Datsyuk though, he's the best player in the league and will and does carry the redwings throughout the regular season and the playoffs.

I think the wings best chances lie in the hands of the league. If atlanta,phoenix or one of the other NHL teams that are trying to stay afloat right now actually get moved to the Peg, the red wings will probably move to the eastern conf. Im sure every wing fan would be overjoyed with that move.

Too bad the NHL is so against moving a team to hamilton. I'd love to root for a local team. No way in hell i'm cheering for the leafs :mrgreen:

EDIT: wow looks like of called atlanta to winipeg...also... *EXPLETIVE* YEAH!!! WOOOOHOOOO GO SHARRRRRRRKS! LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A SERIES *EXPLETIVE*

In other news the bulldogs won tonight, i had a nice seat right beside the houston aeros bench. Drunk as *expletive*. Lets go bulldogs!
Last edited by Wedge14 on Fri May 20, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TetraVaal

Lol, the Wings will be fine. They have the best GM in the entire NHL and a top 10 prospect system.

Anyway, looks like the Sharks attempting to make this a series, but they almost gave it away... again... despite having a three goal lead on two occasions. Even when I talk extremely bad about them and I assume I will turn out to be proved wrong, they STILL try as hard as possible to lose the game. If Vancouver wins game 4, this series is over in 5.
Wedge14

That was all refs weak ass call on mcginn and you know it. NBD tho.

TetraVaal

A Sharks fan complaining about calls? Give me a break. When the refs finally stop allowing Thorton to cheat in the face-off circle, then you can talk. Til' then, quit your whining and take the Sharks' half-assed effort as it is.
Wedge14

My apologies, i seem to have forgotten the no contact policy randomly instated by the nhl last night.

TetraVaal

That's not what I'm referring to, even Thornton himself has admitted to cheating in the faceoff circle. And not only that, but the Sharks tend to dive and have a flair for the dramatic. :lol:

Anyway, how about the comeback by the Lightning today? The Bruins had em' down 3 - 0 going into the second period and the Lightning come back to score 5 unanswered goals. This entire NHL postseason has been ridiculously unpredictable, to say the least.
Wedge14

Tampa has been really clutch! I didn't get to watch the game sadly. I'm not sure if i'll be able to watch todays 3pm game either.

Thornton is a beast in the circle, every good faceoff man 'cheats' I never go after the puck when i take a face off either. I try and lift the other guys stick or muscle him out of the circle. Sure i just play in a beer league, but the worse thing thats gonna happen is you get thrown from the circle. And how many times does thornton get thrown from the circle? Makes sense why he plays with Marleau, they can cycle in another centermen to take the draw on every line.

I think we also need to reevaluate that Jumbo dive.

http://i52.tinypic.com/63wqd0.gif

Just makes me respect how tough thornton is, he was back on the ice and skating fine 2 minutes later!

TetraVaal

Well, Vancouver is only one win away from punching their ticket to the Stanley Cup Final. They pretty much handled San Jose with ease and I expect more of the same in game 5.

A Cancucks/Lightning Final would be entertaining as hell to watch, that's for sure.
TetraVaal

Brian Rafalski is announcing his retirement on Wednesday. :-( I'm all for beginning to add an influx of youth to this team and despite Rafalski's regular season stats, he became a liability in the Playoffs for a second straight season (he was becoming long in the tune and unfortunately, he just doesn't possess the athletic ability of a Nik Lidstrom to keep playing into his 40s). It's still sad to see him go, though... as he has been a key part of the Red Wings for a very long time. I'm definitely thankful for his contributions to Detroit both on and off the ice, as I'm sure the entire Red Wings fanbase is as well.
Wedge14

Raffi is the man! I was coming in here to say something about him. It also looks like atlanta really is going to the 'peg. :D Good news for hockey in canada!

Big big big game tonight, im getting nagged about the playoff beard. Lets hope i can annoy my better half with it for a bit longer. :D Wellwood with a hatty tonight.

TetraVaal

LOL, San Jose CHOKES again! They had a 2 - 1 lead late in the third period and give up a goal and now we're going to OT.

Kessler with the game winner, that's my prediction.
TetraVaal

Well, my prediction Kesler getting the game winner was wrong, but Vancouver still won. :D It's really awesome that they're going back to the Cup for the first time in like 17 years or something.
TetraVaal

Lightning got a huge victory tonight to force a game 7, despite the mediocre goaltending once again.

Still hoping for that Canucks/Lightning Final.
Wedge14

No need to double or triple post, we have rules about that edit your posts next time.

But anyways....yeah what a lame goal to go out on. But it was a great season. I really hope we can keep wellwood, and i hope theres a GM out there dumb enough to trade for heatley(al snow?)

Im looking forwards to watching the game on friday! Im going with boston though, i'd really like to see Torres, and Kesler go up against the monsters they have down there. Plus boston is probably the best band of all time.

The double kick in the pants on tuesday was the houston aeros eliminating the hamilton bulldogs aswell. Double disapoint!

Go Nucks!