Ep. 004: Star Trek: The Animated Series

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 004: Star Trek: The Animated Series

Chaos Theater Ep. 004 - "Star Trek: The Animated Series"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 119 mins, 57 sec. (1:59:57) 55 MB

Special Guest Host: Soul Bro Ryu (opening and Star Trek: TAS)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:28:22

02. Discussion: "Star Trek: The Animated Series"
Runtime: 0:28:58 - 1:15:16

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:15:48 - 1:59:19

Yep, it's been awhile. What happened to the April episode? Well, we recorded this in April (in fact, on the same day as episode 0 of Laplace's Box). What happened? Schedules, and audio problems. Quite a few audio problems, so be aware of that going in. This time, Gundamn's Soul Bro Ryu joins us to wax illogical about Star Trek: The Animated Series. We also introduce a new segment, Slaying the Sacred Cow, which will skewer things that people hold in too high a regard. Our inaugural cow is Final Fantasy VII, and you can expect to see many more cows barbequed in the future. Next time, we turn our focus back to video games with a discussion of the classic Super NES RPG, Chrono Trigger.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"4 Minutes Before Death ~ Variation" and "COUNT DOWN" from Ghost Trick by Masakazu Sugimori

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Shinigam_Newtype

Re: Episode 004: Star Trek - The Animated Series

FIRST!!! Just Kidding.

It's funny, I relistened to the 1st three episodes today, wondering when Episode 4 was coming up.
One more episode until it's available on I tunes right?
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Mu La Flaga

Ok so just listened to the episode.
I agree to an extent some people over rate it, I mean I've talked about this with a friend.
And there flaws with it in some aspects that people hold it up too high in retroness.
Like the character models sort of.

I will disagree with Pedro on AC, in the context of the universe/setting itself AC is not a bad movie.
It may be predictable, but animation wise was interesting, it was a simple story, wasn't anything spectacular, some people do love it though for bringing back Sephiroth and all also.

Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerebrus I believe always added more to the universe as a whole, especially Crisis Core.

Also on the translation note the PC version did better, I know so as I originally had the PC version before I got the PS1 version, I got that version later on when I got a PS2 and all.
That and I couldn't play 7 through my PC anymore anyway.

Chris, I know your equating this on the same level of nostalgia as transformers, but still you need to play it before passing judgement.

Is it the be all and end all RPG series no it's not, is it my first either, no it's not.

I can say my first RPG was Mystic Quest for Super Nintendo
I am not going to hate on it because of difficulty though.

So that is all I'm going to say on FF7 part.
I still have my best RPG section open until I get somewhere with some other legendary titles and complete them one day.

On Star Trek the animated series, I've heard about it but haven't watched it in full.
I did catch occassional episodes of it, it was good.

Filmation itself is one of those companies which had hits or misses.
For instance how their was Filmation Ghostbusters competing with the Real Ghostbusters.
Even though Filmation had the rights before from a previous live action show and all.

But anyway that just confused people.
He-Man and also Flash Gordon they did are good examples of stuff they also did.
So there were ups and downs and all for series they made.
As noted by the stock footage recycling it's something they did alot obviously, I was used to it after seeing other older shows from Hannah Barabera era shows.
Like Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch, Whacky Races, ect.

As for my question answers.
Well for the novels shame you guys haven't read those novels.

As for Goldeneye it should be noted I don't use the standard control scheme btw, so it's easier then standard controls.

So maybe I am little crazy on Goldeneye the DS version I have is awkward and not the same as the N64 version, I tried to keep the nostalgia glasses off, but they tend to flip back down at times. :P

If you want to do a roast on Goldeneye I don't mind if you guys do.
But I just have my opinion of nostalgia leaning towards that one more heh.
Just my opinion on it.

On the Arcade Gaming note, I will also salute my old Arcade which is now as of recently boarded up and gone, yeah they seem to be slowly fading out of exsistance in some places.

As for more examples I could list a few if given time to think.
TMNT when I thought of that I meant the original one before Turtles in Time.
Turtles in Time I may try to get on the SNES some time, since I want that and have read about it.

I also used to spend alot of my time at one particular Arcade at one point there was like 2-4 arcades of I knew that I would visit.
Galaxy World, Timezone, Tilt, off top of my head.
Those are all dead nowadays at least that I know of, there might be 1-2 in the CBD in Sydney somewhere though, not sure now.

Thanks for answering 2 sets of my questions in one go also.
Overalll this was a pretty interesting episode of Chaos Theater, just to say.
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:Chris, I know your equating this on the same level of nostalgia as transformers, but still you need to play it before passing judgement.
I never once said FFVII was a bad game, just that it is being massively overrated by people who are clearly under the effect of nostalgia from playing it years ago. Other than the absolute diehards, I'm sure anyone playing it today will find it's probably not as good as they misremember it being.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

Ah fair enough.
I still say in all fairness, it's not the be all end all game, I can still find fun in it for what it is despite it's flaws and it's age and all.

EDIT: Before I forget this note also Happy Birthday to you Chris, 3.1 decades old now :P
Wingnut

Re: TAS. I'm gonna have to get myself a copy now considering it's been forever since I watched it.

And you speak of childhood arcade injustice, the place I frequented to play the likes of TMNT, The Simpsons and countless other games was closed down years ago and has been inhabited by Starbucks ever since. :cry:
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Shinigam_Newtype

Oh, and as for platinuming Yakuza 4, good luck with that. I hear it requires on average 120+ hours of gametime.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
jabman025

good show guys, lots of fun, my experience with the Star Trek animated series is very limited, but after hearing you guys talk about it I will have to look into it further

I also enjoyed your talk about old school Arcades back in the day, we had a large arcade called TILT at a mall I used to freqent. I remember playing MK II, Super Street Fighter, The Simpsons, and Turtles in Time. It was a blast, but like your Arcade it slow desended into a crappy nasty place and the mall itself soon followed.

Looking forward to the next show

oh and one more thing, Pedro's laugh at the end of the episode was creepy as hell, it will haunt my dreams.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Destiny_Gundam

I have to disagree about Sengoku Otome. I've been watching it and it's been great fun. Nothing particularly serious about it but it looks nice and it's good to sit back and relax to.

In regards to Metroid Other M, I suggest you pick it up. It's different, but different is good. Remember how people were bashing Prime because it was a FPS instead of a side scroller?

It's set between Super and Fusion, btw. It does show flashbacks to her academy days, though.
Spoiler
Samus's characterization is still consistent with the other games. We've seen her monolouge in Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, and Fusion also establishes her relationship with Adam. Other M expands on that so it's hardly unusual that she'd listen to Adam's orders. And just because Adam is a man doesn't mean it's sexist and doesn't make Samus a weak woman. At the times when Samus couldn't rely on Adam's orders, she didn't act lost or confused, she just kept on going, even releasing her abilities without any permission.

Another problem people had was when Samus freaked out upon seeing Ridley again. Even if she had beaten him countless times before, he's still the one who killed her parents. If you consider that from Zero mission all the way to Super (including the Primes), Samus has never actually killed Ridley it makes more sense. He escaped, recovered, and came back each time. In Super, Samus finally did kill him for good and it was as if the nightmare was over. But then he comes back in Other M and the unexpectedness of it brought all her trauma back.

I personally loved this because it painted Ridley as a creature to be feared. He was an actual threat rather than the obligatory "Oh look, it's this guy again" fight. IMO in was the greatest Ridley fight in the franchise. In the end Samus still pulls herself together and beats down Ridley once again.
Samus didn't undergo 'badass decay' like so many people claim. Her character was expanded and made 3-dimensional. I loved it.

In regards to Furious Rodimus's question, I think he was refering more to online reviewers like Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation who spend 5 minutes a week bashing the newest games. In Yahtzee's case, though, he usually does point out good things but as he's said before "No one likes it when I'm being nice to a game." People want to see stuff being torn to shreds as it's more entertaining.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hotlimit

Hurray! I downloaded, but haven't listened yet. Glad a new episode is out, I didn't know there was an animated Star Trek, so this should be interesting!
Mu La Flaga

TMNT I wasn't refering to Turtles 4, Turtles in Time.

I did refer to the original arcade installment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mjNs7ck6io
hotlimit

Great episode, maybe I'll buy that Star Trek cartoon series for my friend's birthday if he hasn't seen it yet (he certainly never said anything about it to me). I look forward to the Chrono Trigger episode, I've played through the entire series of Final Fantasy and most classic SNES RPGs, and I have to say that Chrono Trigger is the only one I can still play through today and enjoy at the same level I did the first time... well, besides FFVII, but according to you that's because of 'nostalgia glasses' ;) By the way, Pedro is totally right about how that game could not be remade- the weird art style, the massive ambiguity of the original translation, and the fact that people would expect it to be fully voice-acted - you wouldn't be able to make anyone happy with it.

With regards to those videogame sites, I think Chris said it best- start your own website or find one that provides what you want. The problem is that a lot of masochists want to get into non-constructive heated debates with as many people as possible, and so Gawker's sites, which draw thousands of people a day, are going to reign supreme. Personally I'm mainly concerned with Japanese games, many of which will never come out in America. The website Andriasang does a great job of combing Japanese gaming news sites and reporting/linking to their articles, so I don't need to look any further than that. Now, if I want to read a long-form article about what some nobody thinks of the state of the industry, there are websites for that too.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Hey guys!

Finally got into Chaos Theater and am enjoying so far. Now, I've never seen Star Trek: TAS so I can't comment too mch on it but from what you've said, it sounds very interesting.

Concerning my questions:
Yeah, at this point in my life, Star Wars pretty much consists of the OT and a few things from the EU such as the X-Wing book series, the Young Jedi Knights books, Jedi Apprentice, and a couple of others. I don't hate the prequels but they are certainly inferior to the originals. Shadows of the Empire too. As far as I'm concerned with the current EU (the majority of it), taken as a cohesive narrative, it's not very hopeful and doesn't make much sense.
I will share Pedro's comments on Mass Effect, but not quite the PHYSICAL description :D
Bleach... ah Bleach. In the time since I wrote that question I've become very ambivalent to Bleach. It was awesome in the Soul Society arc but that's also where it failed me. I thought that the war against Aizen was going to be something much more awesome that it ended up being.
Spoiler
Stuff like, the battle for Karakura being less of a battle and more like a series of duels that are trying to be more awesome than the last one, Ichigo and friends deciding to split up and fight individually in the heart of Aizen's fortress, etc.
I think I just don't have any tolerance for Shonen shows anymore. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Jake72

Re: Ep. 004: Star Trek - The Animated Series

Who else remembered watching reruns of this back in the 80's on Nick? i did 25 years ago when i was 4 years old and it introduced me to Star Trek along with the first 3 movies.

Sure it has typical Filmation animation but the writing is outstanding as the show was a cool continuation of the classic show. I loved how it introduced two new characters such as Arrex the camel faced alien and the sexy feline alien M'ress.

Remember this really cool spin-off of the original series? it was basically seasons 4 and 5 but animated and done by the makers of He-Man known as Filmation. Sure the animation is typical Filmation shlock but the writing is brilliant including the storytelling.

Who else watched reruns of this 70's cartoon on Nick in the 80's? i did when i was 4 years old as that with the first 3 movies were my introduction to Star Trek. It introduced 2 cool new characters as part of the crew such as Arrex who is that lovable Edoysin alien with 3 arms and 3 legs and the sexy space catgirl M'ress who is a Caitlain.