Fate of the GP-00 and its pilot?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Geoxile

Fate of the GP-00 and its pilot?

From sources like mahq and the wikia (which often seems to derive info from mahq), the GP-00 was completely destroyed during an accident while engaging in combat. Sources also seem to point out Jack Bayard was the test pilot for it. Now normally being completely destroyed would point at the pilot's death, yet Jack shows up in later publications. How? Was the GP-00's core block functional? And did it save the pilot's life?
Imperial

Re: Fate of the GP-00 and its pilot?

I don't know any of this for sure, but it is entirely possible that the GP00 was damaged in such a way as to total it without harming the pilot. You've seen people walk away from catastrophic car accidents, right? Same principle

It's the simplest answer, which is often the right answer.
This space for rent
Geoxile

Most car explosions don't typically end up in unrealistic nuclear fireballs of doom
Kuruni

But it's unlikely that GP00 went explode in "nuclear fireballs of doom". IIRC, it's shoted down by a Xamel, which doesn't has beam weapon so GP00's reactor won't explode at all.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Geoxile

Uh, isn't the explosion an effect of the explosive release of heat and radiation from a disrupted i-field? MS tend to explode to any weapons when they get peppered or hit somewhere near the reactor I suppose.

Also, I don't know how accurate the wiki is, but it claims it ran into an abandoned ship and was completely destroyed.
Kuruni

Nope, Minovsky reactor only explode when hitted by beam attack. Punture it with solid object won't cause chain reaction and the leak-out particle is harmless (this is whole idea behind Crossbone Vauguard's shot lancer). So, even if it got destroyed by crashed with spaceship, it still don't cause "nuclear fireball".
My girlfriend was a loli.
saneman

I thought that the Canon was that GP-00 was not built at all, was it changed or is it Wikia being speculative?
You know, doing what is right is easy. The problem is knowing what is right.
~ Lyndon B. Johnson
Geoxile

Both Mahq and the wikia imply its creation and state its "complete" destruction.

Not sure where the never constructed canon came from unless you mean canonically it may have never existed.
Imperial

saneman wrote:I thought that the Canon was that GP-00 was not built at all, was it changed or is it Wikia being speculative?
Protip: Never trust wikis when it comes to Gundam. You should be especially skeptical toward the Gundam wiki, which is one of the worst wikis I've ever encountered.

The GP00's uncertain status seems to stem from the fact that no one has ever bothered to give it any definitive status. It's a hypothetical prototype that has never been in any animation or manga titles. Perhaps the powers-that-be are holding off a definitive ruling in the event some new UC spin-off needs a titular Gundam, but, in the meantime, we don't have much to go on because no one cares enough to supply that information.
This space for rent
JEFFPIATT

The gundam wiki gives an composite story to make sense of the small blurbs written about the GP00 in side story's mostly being the card games it ended up in. the idea is the actuall story is in the middle of the 3-4 short blurbs where it gets destroyed. in concept it's just all 4 AE gundams merged in to one gundam frame.
Geoxile

Imperial wrote:
saneman wrote:I thought that the Canon was that GP-00 was not built at all, was it changed or is it Wikia being speculative?
Protip: Never trust wikis when it comes to Gundam. You should be especially skeptical toward the Gundam wiki, which is one of the worst wikis I've ever encountered.

The GP00's uncertain status seems to stem from the fact that no one has ever bothered to give it any definitive status. It's a hypothetical prototype that has never been in any animation or manga titles. Perhaps the powers-that-be are holding off a definitive ruling in the event some new UC spin-off needs a titular Gundam, but, in the meantime, we don't have much to go on because no one cares enough to supply that information.
What about Mahq?
bluemax151

I scrounged a few previous topics where this has come up on here

First is very light like on info like this topic itself
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php? ... w=previous

Second is a little better but is a general GP thread so you have to dig around in it
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=GP00

Still not much but more than in here.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
J-Lead

Geoxile wrote:
Imperial wrote:

What about Mahq?

The way I see it, Mahq has the most accurate information on mobile suit profiles, and although certain pages need updating from time to time, Chris and toysdream generally do a good job of keeping things as up to date as possible. Gundam Wiki, on the other hand, has the greatest abundance of information in english, and due to the fact that the majority of the mecha profile info is taken straight from Mahq anyway, it's...well, generally accurate. Gundam Wiki also contains information on characters in addition to various mecha profiles, although how accurate these are can vary from profile to profile, but they generally ballpark things pretty well. Not the best Wiki I've seen, but not the worst (that crown goes to the Avatar wiki.) In fact, I've occasionally (not often) seen the Gundam Wiki more up to date on some of it's profiles than Mahq.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Deacon Blues

Jack Bayard was piloting the unit on a patrol mission on the lunar surface when he encountered a Xamel cannon team and the unit was seriously damaged, not completely destroyed. Upon recovery and inspection of the damaged unit, it was determined that cramming every possible function into a single unit was detrimental to the pilot.
Irwin-Scarnato

I wasn't aware that the Xamel could be used outside of Earth or another habitable atmosphere. Nothing about it suggested it was space-capable..
Proud Zeon remnant.
The side that lost isn't necessarily the wrong one.
toysdream

The team consists of a handful of customized Zakus with a Xamel cannon that's been converted into a mobile suit-portable artillery piece. According to the original articles in Dengeki Hobby, when used on the lunar surface, this cannon is capable of lobbing shells into a ballistic arc to hit targets at a range of almost 170 kilometers. In the story, the Zeon remnants are using it to bombard Von Braun City.

Jack Bayard's Gundam GP00 battles the Zeon mobile suits, but ends up getting trapped inside the crashed Musai that they're using as a hideout. According to the original profile, the GP00 is heavily damaged, but its combat data is successfully retrieved and analyzed. Jack, of course, escapes to continue his awesome losing streak. :-)

Just FYI, the one-shot story in Dengeki Hobby was produced with Sunrise supervision, and like the later Advance of Zeta it seems to have some semi-official cachet as a result. A bit more, perhaps, than the average manga serial.

-- Mark
Imperial

Losing streak?

I know Jack has become an almost ubiquitous character with how often he crops up, but I didn't realize he had a losing streak. Didn't he and Adam Stingray make a run through A Baoa Qu without so much as a scratch? That's more than mildly impressive.
This space for rent
Geoxile

Didn't Adam die holding off a Surprise Zaku?
AmuroNT1

Pretty sure he survives, since he shows up as an AEUG pilot in Green Divers.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Geoxile

Ah, really? Never seen Green Divers, seems info on that little ride is scarce.