Comic Books (other than manga)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Re: Comic Books (other than manga)

Just read the second volume of Runaways. So-so story, and I'm not too crazy about the art, either.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
ZeroBusterXX

G-Slayer wrote:Just read the second volume of Runaways. So-so story, and I'm not too crazy about the art, either.
I actually really enjoyed Runaways all the way through.

But the book took a noticeable dip in quality when Vaughn left.

Whedon's run was still pretty cool though.

Anyone read Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors? Nice to see Guy having his own book again!
1-4-4

I am very selective these days...

In terms of ongoing stuff, I guess the only American comic I currently read is Usagi Yojimbo. I have a full collection of all the trade paperbacks released so far...

I have a real soft spot in my heart for the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic. It was kind of a fun, (almost) anything-goes adventure. I guess the pride of my collection would be the Return to New York series - though the guest authors and artists who contributed to the series did a lot of great stuff, too.

"Dark Knight Returns" is a great oldie, but I thought its sequel from a few years back was trash...

And... so far everything I've mentioned goes right back to the mid 1980s. :) Sure, Usagi Yojimbo is still ongoing, but...

In the early 1990s I read a lot of X-Men and its spinoffs. There was a period where Mark Texeira was drawing Wolverine that I thought was great. Scoured the comic shops to get all (or most?) of the issues of "X-ecutioner's Song" - and Marvel was quite successful with me, using that crossover to get me to read the other Marvel titles. Toward the end of high school (mid 90s - no, it's not so bad being in my 30s.) I "grew out of it", getting sick of barbie-doll renditions of female characters and what I saw as a general lack of depth... I suppose it didn't help that I was just reading X-men and its spinoffs... Started reading a lot of independent stuff (this was about the time I renewed my interest in TMNT and picked up Usagi Yojimbo... Read Scud and La Cosa Nostroid and Optic Nerve and Strangers in Paradise a lot around then...) and then got into Manga with Ranma 1/2... Read that for a while until it felt like each new volume was basically the same story... Blade of the Immortal was a huge influence on me. It's weird to look back now on how long that series has been a part of my life... And seeing the anime version, the kind of hold those old stories have on me... I know the thread's not supposed to be about manga - but these are the things I read in those years.

Anyway - I'm not reading Marvel or DC stuff these days, but I think some of the things I used to hate about Marvel comics I'm now starting to like again. I mean, I think sometimes the art in those comics isn't very good and I never like that... But the parade of cheesecake shots of sexy characters... I can dig it. :) At least when it's done well.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

After going through some manga, I've just read Superman: Red Son. Right now I'm in the middle of Vol. 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer before I move on to Luke Cage Noir.

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Mu La Flaga

So forgot to post in here for a while.
I've recently read the TPB for New Warriors Classic 1.
Their first adventures and team forming ect.
One of the fights had a team up with Thor against the all mighty Juggernaught.

Hoo boy was that a fight, especially when your throwing trains at each other and all.
Gatx

I'm fairly new to reading actual comics, and while I figure I'm a couple decades behind the main series, I usually try to read the graphic novel type ones like Dark Knight Returns and the various Year One issues. I also used to vaguely follow Ultimate Spider-man (since Ultimate Marvel is a bit easier to keep track of than regular Marvel).

Also read Y the Last Man for a bit, but couldn't find more issues in any local stores.

Was pretty into Star Wars Legacy, only comic series I was actually caught up on, but since I'm new to comics, I couldn't stand the month long wait (I'm more used to the weekly updates from manga) and just put it off for a while. Started reading Republic, but only for the Clone Wars, but then the Clone Wars stories is a total mess, the recent cartoon doesn't help either so gave up on that.
Dark Duel

Haven't really read comics in ages, as there's no comic store in my area so I have to rely on volume releases in mainstream bookstores. Read the first nine volumes of Star Wars: Legacy (I only own the first three).
I also recently purchased Superman: Earth One, which is quite good.
Gatx wrote:I also used to vaguely follow Ultimate Spider-man (since Ultimate Marvel is a bit easier to keep track of than regular Marvel).
Yeah, I used to own the first ten or so volumes of that, sold them last year. It was pretty good, but I think it took a big dip in quality around the time of Carnage's second appearance.
Followed Ultimate X-Men too, but I kind of lost interest.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mu La Flaga

Went through the first 5 IDW reprints of the UK Transformers stuff.
Interesting stuff, Simon Furman is a pretty good writter.

Time Wars was awesome, the 6th one I'm missing and the last one is Target 2006.
Vent Noir

RIP Dwayne McDuffie

You will be missed.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
apecape92

Although Im a fan of reading manga, I love the Batman comics from DC also I love reading Iron man from marvel. anything else completely boring and corny
zabimustdie

Vent Noir wrote:RIP Dwayne McDuffie

You will be missed.
Indeed.

Still working my way through the Avengers archive vol.1, just bought Torn: Betrayal, some Sonic archives, and a Psylocke trade I bought for a chick that recently broke up with me.

Any of you read Red Son? Such a great story.
"Where there is no death, there is life." - Ghost in Chronopolis, Chrono Cross
hitokirigarou

I went back into comics sometime around 2004 after a hiatus of almost 11 years. I primarily read nearly everything from Marvel and DC and I supplement it with comics from other publishers (Hellboy, Invincible, Transformers, Atomic Robo, etc.). Since childhood, my favorite heroes/teams are Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, the X-Men and the Justice League.
Mu La Flaga

Recently got 2 small TPBs.
War Machine Classics 1, this was lots of fun to read and even include a brief skirmish between War Machine, Cable and Deathlok and War Machine going almost all the way to stop a potential civil war.

War Machine Dark Reign 1, another interesting entry in the Dark Reigh related story stuff and I haven't read any of that.
G-Slayer

I've recently read:

Mark Millar's Wanted (again)

Daredevil Noir (again)

The Immortal Iron Fist (Vol. 6, I think)

Batman: Heart of Hush

JSA: Thy Kingdom Come

Jimmy Palmiotti's Claws (featuring Wolverine and Black Cat)

Ms. Marvel (Vol. 6)

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

I've been reading the recent Batman R.I.P. (whatever the series is called) comics.

Also I'm a fan of The Mask series
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

-Suzuka Hime (Mugen no Frontier)

... Are we that predictable?
christianwalker

I am a huge comic fan. It surprises me that I didn't see this thread sooner.

Vent: I love that you are posting what comics you picked up. ^_^ I just like talking about what came out, what was picked up, and how people are enjoying/ not enjoying what they got.

To break it down: I am not the big Marvel fan that most people here seem to be. That said I do read Deadpool and Secret Warriors. As far as DC goes I am reading Secret Six.

Everything else I am reading comes from Vertigo, Image, Dynamite, Icon, Titan and the list goes on.

In terms of titles, the books that make me squeal with joy like a little girl on a playground everytime I find them in my Pull 'n Hold at my local comic shop are (in no paticular order): Powers, Lenore, Chew, Jennifer Blood, Hack/Slash and Sweet Tooth.

Is anyone reading Jennifer Blood? I would love to talk about that one.

Lastly, I love Bendis.
"You might as well called his hotel room Elm Street, cuz I was bringing those nightmares every night." -Soul Bro Ryu
Vent Noir

The DCU reboots. The internet explodes.

Personally, I'm more concerned than excited about this, and it's a double whammy for me with my local comics shop (Alternate Worlds) having its own "Flashpoint" and relocating (after over 20 years) to an as-yet-undetermined location (likely to be somewhere in Melbourne's outer eastern suburbs).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

On a note of my own comic related it's kind of sad my Phantom Zone store I visited might be gone now by seems of things.

I hope it's just remodelling the store, if not, damn!
Pkmatrix

I've gotten back into comics over the last few months thanks to IDW's new Godzilla series. Since I'd like to support my local store, I've been sampling some other stuff that looks interesting. So far, besides the two Godzilla series (Kingdom of Monsters and Gangsters & Goliaths), I've been following Dark Horse's BPRD, Hellboy, and Turok series. ^_^
Red Comet90

Ever since I watched Green Lantern: Emerald Knights I've wanted to read the Green Lantern comics. I got into them about a month later. I've read the first 20 issues or so and so far its pretty good. Its strange that now as I get older I read more comic books.

I've also been keeping up with all of the avengers comic books (Secret, New, etc) along with Thor. I just recently started reading Spider-Man and its been interesting so far with Spider Island now going on.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn