Ep. 075 - The Diamond Standard

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 075 - The Diamond Standard

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 075 - "The Diamond Standard"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 146 min., 16 sec. (2:26:16) - 67 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:57:30 (Duration: 0:56:47)

03. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:57:30 - 0:58:29 (Duration: 0:00:59)

04. Method to Madness (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:58:29 - 0:59:14 (Duration: 0:00:45)

05. 1st Segment: "Gundam Round-up! - 'Model Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G'" (OVA)
Runtime: 0:59:14 - 1:28:21 (Duration: 0:29:07)

06. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:28:21 - 1:29:51 (Duration: 0:01:30)

07. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:29:51 - 1:30:21 (Duration: 0:00:30)

08. 2nd Segment: "Second Chance Theater! Remaking Mecha Animes from the 20th Century!" (Discussion)
Runtime: 1:30:21 - 2:04:50 (Duration: 0:34:29)

09. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:04:50 - 2:05:41 (Duration: 0:00:51)

10. "The God of War" by Garma Strikes!
Runtime: 2:05:41 - 2:08:40 (Duration: 0:02:59)

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:08:40 - 2:26:16 (Duration: 0:17:36)

The Round-up you love is back with a vengeance, as we dive into the "epic" Gundam series, "Model Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G"! Then, we discuss our candidates for Pre-Y2K mecha anime series we would like to see remade!

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Also, the Chaos Theater is live with no jive, gang! Join Pedro "Pedobear South" Cortes (of Tomopop.com & Tomocast) and MAHQ & Gundamn's own Chris Guanche in their new podcast - one that focuses on many other facets of Otakudom! Video Games, Comics/Manga, Merchandise, Books, Movies, TV & every other genre of Anime (sans Mecha) will be conversed about over a couple of cold ones by Chris & Pedro and they invite you to join 'em! (NSFW for younger ears!)

Peep the links below for the latest episode & more info:

- Chaos Theater (Main Website)
- Chaos Theater Ep. 003 - "The Wheel of Time" - MP3 (Right-click & Save!)
- Chaos Theater MechaTalk.net Official Forum:
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewforum.php?f=32
- Chaos Theater, Ep. 003 - "The Wheel of Time" - Feedback Thread
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13805
- Feedback Email: [email protected]
- Twitter: @CTCast

Finally, Shinjuku Station has just started a podcast, reviewing the latest movies in the theaters, films we missed that are now on home video, and classic movies that have left their mark. The assortment of reviewers will vary from review to review, with participants from "Gundamn! @ MAHQ", "Level Nine", "Flip the Script!" and other podcasts!

Shinjuku Station At the Movies
Review 001: Battle: Los Angeles
- Download Now!: 128 kbps - 55 min., 25 sec. (0:55:25) - 50.7 MB - NSFW!
Review 002: Sucker Punch
- Download Now!: 128 kbps - 62 min., 45 sec. (1:02:45) - 57.4 MB - NSFW!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode
- Coming Soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 075 - The Diamond Standard

I want to say one thing on remakes potentially.
Maybe Tekkaman Blade series.

As for Nadesico POD, Soul Bro, I've seen the series and the movie and I LIKE the movie and the series, I started off with the movie.
Besides I remember reading that there was supposed to be an intended trilogy for the Nadesico movie, to like 3 of them.

I also would like to see a new Bubblegum Crisis entry and 2040 is good in it's own right.

I would like to see some of those older Super Robot series remade.
Like maybe say UFO Robot Grendizer.

One final entry since Neo mentioned Destiny, ZZ could probably do with the same treatment, ah well.

I'm not sure I can think of much that needs remaking from that period....

Gunpla Builders I've heard of, never seen it, but hearing the discussions has given me a little interest on it now.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat May 14, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wingnut

Mu La Flaga wrote:Gunpla Builders I've heard of, never seen it, but hearing the discussions has given me a little interest on it now.
I think it's safe to say that you'd like it.

And on the minor point about George Lucas coming down on people making new fighters and such out of existing ones, it's not going to happen because they exist in the EU. Known as Uglys for good reason. A rebel fighter with TIE wings just doesn't look as good as a GM with Dom legs.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Vent Noir

Listening to the "anime you'd like to see redone" segment now. Dirty Pair Flash was in fact a prequel set when Kei and Yuri were teenagers, so that explains their youthful look.

EDIT: A couple more old OVAs I'd like to see redone: Iczer-One and Dangaioh. They were short OVAs that were among the first anime I watched. A 12 or 13-episode TV series that fleshed either one of them out would be something I'd love to see, especially since Dangaioh didn't really get a proper ending. (Of course, we got the crappy Great Dangaioh show in the early 2000s, but I'm talking about the original here)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Arbiter GUNDAM

Another awesome episode guys! I particualrly like the Gunpla Builders segment. You're right, if that Gunpla battle game did exist, then Gundam would probably have a chance of being popular here in the States! :lol:

Man, you guys haven't used stuff from Garma Strikes! in a while. Brings back good memories of the early Gundamn days.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
kayone73

Mu La Flaga wrote:Gunpla Builders I've heard of, never seen it, but hearing the discussions has given me a little interest on it now.
Like the guys said, it's fun gunpla fanwank, but I enjoyed it and even tho it's shameless gunpla advertising, it's fun enough that it does it's job. Hell, I got back into Gundam model building after watching it. Also the same guys who do the MSG abridged parody series also are working on this show as well, and its also great, but watch the original first, it'll take you all of 45 min to watch the entirety.

Another question fot the Gundamn crew: the MSG dub audio clip in the podcast with the very British sounding Bright and everyone pronouncing Gundam as 'Gundamn', which version dub was that sampled from? I've heard references to a British voiced Bright before but never knew where it came from until now.
snoops619

Great show as ever guys. Thanks. Kept me entertained on my long walk to school and town.
Definitely peaked my interest in watching MSGBBG (what a great acronym!). It sounds like fun and it would be nice to see a less serious Gundam entry.
As for Second-Chance Theatre, I'd quite like to see a tidy-up of Macross Plus. Not that it wasn't a delight to look at before, but it would be interesting to see what could be done to it now.

Thanks again.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
El Jorge Loco

Awesome episode.

NPR played one of the Samurai Champloo BG songs as a take-away on one of their afternoon shows.
Dollow

kayone73 wrote:Another question fot the Gundamn crew: the MSG dub audio clip in the podcast with the very British sounding Bright and everyone pronouncing Gundam as 'Gundamn', which version dub was that sampled from? I've heard references to a British voiced Bright before but never knew where it came from until now.
That was from the Movies dub, before gundam got big in the states they did a dub for just the MSG movies, you could just was them on youtube

here you go

Great ep guys, like the whole remakes ideas; I could not think of anything as I was trying to come up with stuff. I saw Gunpla Builders and I like it I know who was targeted with the OVA, I still think there were some really strange stuff, but it is gundam so ok.

Soul Bro you should more of the old Garma Strikes!, I love it when I heard that again on the show, awesome editing.
Last edited by Dollow on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
christianwalker

Wow Chris, you get all intense with the legalities of our freedom of speech!

Great show guys!
"You might as well called his hotel room Elm Street, cuz I was bringing those nightmares every night." -Soul Bro Ryu
kayone73

Dollow wrote:
kayone73 wrote:Another question fot the Gundamn crew: the MSG dub audio clip in the podcast with the very British sounding Bright and everyone pronouncing Gundam as 'Gundamn', which version dub was that sampled from? I've heard references to a British voiced Bright before but never knew where it came from until now.
That was far the Movies dub, before gundam got big in the states they did a dub for just the MSG movies, you could was them on youtube

here you go
Haha that was great, thanks
Koshernova

Great job on the episode guys, as usual :)

I also enjoyed Gunpla Builders, and much like Neo I crave a Senjou No Kizuna arcade machine that scans custom model kits! When you think about it, it shouldn't be that far off from current tech: start off by programming every HG/MG into it as a 'straight build' (snapped together). Then give it the discerning eye to scan for panel lining, then for accurate painting, custom painting, etc. It's something that is conceivable, although rather than a Trek-like 'sensor scan' as we see in the show, it's more likely to be, say, a number of cameras around the model taking photographs of it.

And I wanna say, i certainly could've stood with Gunpla Builders having more episodes. Honestly, it could've been a series, long or short, it would have been fun and interesting. Who knows, they might still do it.

As for Second Chance theatre, I'm surprised you didn't talk about The Origin and the pluses and minuses of it being made, considering how many anime remakes there have been in the last while. But I won't join the chorus of trolls saying you were 'keeping the charismatic black guy down' :) I was surprised when I saw you guys bring up those troll comments from 4chan, as I had seen them when they were posted.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
AceAttorneyGundam

Loved Chris laying down the truth in the intro!! Hilarious and awesome

Great roundup on Gunpla Builders, I was happy to hear where to see it with some English subs. Went ahead and watched it myself (easy to do on a lunch break). I liked that they had some good things for people already experienced in Gundam, like the O taking out that Red Frame and seeing a Dendrobium in some serious action. I hope that they do continue it into a 'Intermediate', or even has some specialized one shots (airbrushing, decals). Short enough to make you want more, but not so long that it got silly. Beginning Gundam looks alright, but Forever Gundam is kinda hideous
bertman4

Re: Midnight Eye Goku
It was based on the manga series created by Buichi Terasawa.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B4% ... F%E3%82%A6
Aside from the OAV anime back in 1989, a supposed live action movie is in the works. But as of 2011, there is no word on its status.
Terasawa also created the manga/anime series Cobra.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_%28manga%29
That show is familiar to more than just anime fans because scenes from the movie were featured in Mathew Sweet's music video for his hit song Girlfriend.

Bertman
jabman025

Hey guys great show

I enjoyed Gunpla builders begining G, it was stupid, corny, and really goofy but in the end it was still a lot of fun. Like you I dream of a game like that where you can pilot your own custom gunpla. Would be a lot of fun to pilot my own custom kits. The bearguy is also one of the greatest suits ever made. If for no other reason than is sheer stupidity.

As for shows I would like to see get remade, I (like Neo) was thinking Outlaw Star. However I am not entirely sure it could recapture the spark from that show. Maybe if it were remade and made longer I would be more in favor of it. One show that I really would love to see make a comeback is Gunsmith Cats. I love a good action detective show and gunsmith cats was a lot of fun. It would be great to see it remade with modern tech.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Destiny_Gundam

Finally listened to this...

I never once said Prince of Darkness was perfect. It has issues like everything, but its existance saved the Nadesico franchise for me.

Also, Soul Bro, how is me reviewing Rayearth in any way surprising? It's a show about underage girls fighting with magic and robots. It's perfectly up my alley.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hotlimit

Great episode, I watched Gunpla Builders right after listening. What a great OVA, I definitely wanted more! The kid's 'byaku'-shiki was the best, if only I had painting skills like that!