Any NHL fans on here? Thoughts on the 2011 Playoffs?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
TetraVaal

Any NHL fans on here? Thoughts on the 2011 Playoffs?

I think I recall a couple of people on here being NHL fans, one in particular being a San Jose Sharks fan (curious to get his thoughts on the LA Kings beating em' last night). I'm very surprised by my Red Wings taking a 2 - 0 lead into Phoenix, especially since the Yotes have the revenge factor and despite the Wings being very successful in the regular season, their defense and goaltending has been extremely suspect throughout the entire year. I'm not surprised to see the Lightning/Pens going back to Tampa with a 1-1 not, especially since both Crosby and Malkin are out for the Pens. And as usual, the Boston Bruins continue to underachieve, even though the Habs aren't slouches, the Bruins SHOULD be putting up a much better effort (looks like their 3 - 0 collapse from last season is still in their heads). I'm not surprised that the Canucks are up on the Hawks 2 - 0, but I still think that series goes 6 with Vancouver winning. Ideally, I would love to see the Canucks, Wings, Preds, and Kings advance to the semi-finals in the West, mainly so Detroit would match-up with Nashville and not have to travel a billion miles if they are to advance. Their best shot of getting back to the Cup next season is by having as short of a traveling schedule as possible.
Wedge14

Re: Any NHL fans on here? Thoughts on the 2011 Playoffs?

I'm the sharks fan. Honestly i'm more upset with boston right now. Theres nothing more obnoxious then montreal canadian fans. I live in leaf country, so everyone here is either a leaf or a montreal fan. And they have to be some of the most obnoxious fans in hockey.

I don't hit me below the belt about my sharks. My #2 team is the wings.

I think the biggest problem with the sharks is their work ethic. They seem real lazy to me. If they can get around that, i think they got it. Alot of stars have alligned for them this year. They're easilly one of the most elite team's in the league. Winning their division is huge. Alot of people are putting emphasis on the canucks this year, but how many times did they have play to edmonton and colorado this season? The northwest division is a joke compared to the pacific division. Only dallas didn't make the playoffs and they were damn close.

Anyways i kinda ranted. Year of the shark.

Big Bert rules! 8)
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Wingnut

TetraVaal wrote:And as usual, the Boston Bruins continue to underachieve, even though the Habs aren't slouches, the Bruins SHOULD be putting up a much better effort (looks like their 3 - 0 collapse from last season is still in their heads).
This above anything else right now is the biggest surprise to me. I wouldn't have guessed that the Bruins would be down 2-0 and having the home ice for the first round too. They're really off their game here.

As for your and my Wings, if we can just play solid hockey and not take any stupid penalties that lead to good scoring opportunities for the Yotes like on Sunday, we'll take care of them in I'd say 5 games.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
TetraVaal

@Wedge, ha, my comment wasn't really supposed to be a jab at ya (although, it's hard for me to feel any sympathy towards them if the Kings beat them, as I dislike the Sharks in general). I don't know how their work ethic is night and night out, but I guess I can see your point, considering all the playmakers they have offensively... as well as usually being really solid when it comes to winning faceoffs. We'll see how they do once they get to LA... should continue to be a solid series to watch.

As for right now, I think the best series in terms of quality and suspense night in and night out is the Anaheim/Nashville matchup. Whoever comes out of that series is going to be battered and bruised for days on end.

@Wingnut, I still think that even if the Wings limit their penalities and end up having a hell of a PK, they're still vulnerable in 5 on 5 hockey, as I just don't trust Howard or our defense, with the latter being a surprise considering we have Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, and Stuart, as well as the two best two-way forwards in the entire game with Zetterberg (who is currently out, unfortunately) and Pavel Datsyuk. I think it's key for them to keep winning faceoffs and maintaining puck control throughout the game.

Anyway, looks like Vancouver now has a shot at sweeping Chicago, that's also a pretty big surprise.
Wedge14

@TV

I think what really hurt us in the face off department was losing malhotra to vancouver. Poor guy :( We managed to pick up wellwood for pretty much free. Which is a hell of a deal if you ask me! And now that Scotty Nichol is better we should start to take over in that department. We're at the point that even if someone like thornton is being kicked out of the circle we have another centermen filling in as a winger on everyline at this point.

Our PK blows i miss rob blake. And the cheechoo train too. :roll:

Sucks that you guys didn't get Nabokov :P

TetraVaal

Wings beat the Coyotes 4 - 2 to take a 3 - 0 series lead. I am honestly surprised by this, even with the veteran Playoff experience on this team. The Wings were so mediocre during the last six weeks of the season, yet they've come out looking like they're primed for another run at the Cup. I still think Howard will struggle once teams can generate traffic at the net, but I'm really happy with these results so far. Hopefully they can complete the sweep Wednesday night and get back to Detroit and rest up for their next matchup.
Wingnut

A pleasant surprise to be sure though. Once again, the opposing power play gave us trouble, but otherwise we shut them down quite well. A very scrappy game last night too with numerous after whistle scrums.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
TetraVaal

Wingnut wrote:A pleasant surprise to be sure though.
Oh for sure. I'm just happy to see them playing so well after how medicore they were towards the end of the season. I can't praise the defense and Howard's goaltending enough, they've been exceptional so far. I just hope they're able to finish this off in four games, which is easier said than done, as you know Phoenix will bring it in game 4 for two reasons: 1.) to save face in their own building, and 2.) it could very well be their very last game in the desert, so I'm sure they'd like to go out on a high note. Hopefully the Wings can weather the storm and come away with a sweep. Like I said, that's the ideal step towards making it back to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Oh, and how about that win by Boston in Montreal? Looks like Chara wasn't affected by the fan's reactions, which I thought would weigh on him at least a little bit. I'm also surprised that he wasn't arrested by the Montral polic (although, that's a joke in itself). They played really well and got a much needed win. I'm also a bit surprised to see Pittsburgh take a 2 - 1 series lead over the Lightning, especially when you consider that both Crosby and Malkin aren't back from injuries yet. I'd say that Stamkos has been a disappointing player to watch in these Playoffs so far, which is unfortunate, as he was one of the best young players to watch throughout the regular season.

Hopefully the LA Kings can take care of business... as well as Chicago at least taking one game against Vancouver, also wouldn't mind seeing Anaheim win on Wednesday, to push that series as long as they can.
Deacon Blues

Sabres all the way! *waves flag*
Mark064

Canucks all the way! *waves flag*
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
TetraVaal

Man, the Blackhawks demolished the Canucks tonight... reminded me of game 4 of last year's Red Wings/Sharks series when Franzen went for 4 goals against SJ.

I still expect Vancouver to win in 5.

LA Kings are currently taking it to the Sharks... I'm really surprised by the fact that the Sharks are 0 for 8 on the PP in this series so far. That's not a good omen for them.

EDIT: San Jose was down 4 - 0 and have come all the way back to tie the game at 5 - 5. :shock:
Wedge14

TetraVaal wrote: EDIT: San Jose was down 4 - 0 and have come all the way back to tie the game at 5 - 5. :shock:
What a big win! :mrgreen: Doesn't get any better then that.

TetraVaal

Wedge14 wrote:
TetraVaal wrote: EDIT: San Jose was down 4 - 0 and have come all the way back to tie the game at 5 - 5. :shock:
What a big win! :mrgreen: Doesn't get any better then that.
Yeah, I'm pretty certain that'll be a back breaker for Los Angeles. If they were to still win this series after dropping a game like that, I'd be shocked.
Wingnut

The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
TetraVaal

RED WINGS COMPLETE THE SWEEP, YEAH BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD8pu9olFTI

Now it's time to rest up and await the returns of Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen. 8)
Wedge14

Should we be saying Good bye to the Coyotes franchise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdh70xdZHK0

TetraVaal

As much as I hate seeing franchises being moved, the Yotes belong in Winnipeg. Move em' back to their rightful place and call em' the Jets again. 8)

Vancouver/Chicago tonight in Vancouver, but something tells me the Blackhawks are going to extend the series again.

LA Kings/San Jose in Los Angeles tonight, I have the Sharks winning easily, as I don't see the Kings bouncing back from their collapse the other night.

EDIT: went two for two with my predictions, the Blackhawks won 5 - 0 over the Canucks (Vancouver is in a lot of trouble now) and the Sharks are currently beating the Kings 6 - 3 with about 6 minutes left, so barring the biggest meltdown in NHL Playoff history, I'll be spot on with my predictions.

Looks like the Wings may get a rematch with the Sharks in the semi-finals. Let's do this. 8)
Wedge14

TetraVaal wrote:Looks like the Wings may get a rematch with the Sharks in the semi-finals. Let's do this. 8)
:mrgreen: Year of the shark baby, year of the shark. :mrgreen: 8) "Teal with it"

it's good to see boston win. And Vancouver?? Jeeeeez.

Wingnut

Wedge14 wrote::mrgreen: Year of the shark baby, year of the shark. :mrgreen: 8) "Teal with it"
Time to get that bigger boat and kill the shark(s). :P
it's good to see boston win.
That it is. It's now quite the series.
And Vancouver?? Jeeeeez.
I think they're asking the same question as Mr. Lombardi here after that 5-0 blowout.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.