Ep. 003: The Wheel of Time

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
AceAttorneyGundam

Re: Episode 003: The Wheel of Time

Well, I know I wasn't part of the drop off because I've listened to all three. I have been an off/on fan of One Piece so I didn't even think that would cause anyone to not listen.

After three episodes we have a good feel for what this podcast is. Personally, I'm very much in on the show and have added it to my rotation (android auto-downloading and auto-add to my playlist ftw)

Good points:
Pedro and Chris have a very good dynamic. I enjoy the feeling of being included in a conversation between two longtime friends. That is part of what makes Gundamn great.

Good material coverage. The last two topics were VERY broad and I think that the pacing, coverage and explanations were on point.

Enthusiasm. Both Pedro and Chris got the feeling across that they carried about each of these topics and were very interested in sharing them

Down points:
Not on the overall of the show, but episode 3 was a downer. The mention of the drop off of listeners sucked to hear, but was needed. The bad part was that you could tell that a bit of the sting of the episode was lost because of the re-record. It might have been a better idea to just 'lost episode' this one to later and pick a new topic off the fly.

Comedy. There have been some good moments, but nothing very stand out yet. I know you can't force comedy, but maybe you guys need to try to make each other laugh. I know you guys are both used to the format, so loosen up a bit, have fun.

The thing that is going to help the most here is if we as an audience get more into the show. We need some topic suggestions, some ideas of what we want to hear. FILL UP THAT MAILBAG!! Download podcasts and get the word out. Let's also make sure we 5 star the show on iTunes!
Chris
Administrator

AceAttorneyGundam wrote:The bad part was that you could tell that a bit of the sting of the episode was lost because of the re-record. It might have been a better idea to just 'lost episode' this one to later and pick a new topic off the fly.
Unfortunately, that's not a realistic option. Although we're both in Miami, Pedro and I live about 30 miles apart. It's just not feasible to come together for a failed podcast recording and try again some other day.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
The Fowl Sorcerous

I have to be honest; I dislike the wheel of time for it's slow pace, cliche-heaviness, and sue-ish protagonist. But I love Pat Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle which is slow-paced, cliched out the eyeball, and a very may sue-ish protagonist. Am I a hypocrite or have very inconsistent taste?
[[lorem ipsum]]
Chris
Administrator

Nah, you're cool. As we said in the episode, we have plenty of problems with WoT, including the slow pace, over emphasis on political intrigue later on, hordes of uninteresting side characters and the depiction of women. But the things we love about the series outweigh the faults, so I guess it's the same with you and Rothfuss.
AceAttorneyGundam

I do have to say I liked that for both One Piece and WoT we heard what you liked and disliked. I very much got the feeling that y'all liked both of them, but weren't so blinded to not see the faults. It came across strong.
Naz

Thank you Christ and Pedro, because of you two I started to do some research on Wheel of time, and I got my self an entire set of available audio books, I'm slowly catching up starting with New Spring.

I couldn't help noticing that episode 4 is taking its time to come out, and that you guys mentioned the drop in number of downloads. Please keep up the good work, I find your podcast very entertaining and I would be very sad if it goes away.

Regards

Naz
Chris
Administrator

Naz wrote:I couldn't help noticing that episode 4 is taking its time to come out, and that you guys mentioned the drop in number of downloads. Please keep up the good work, I find your podcast very entertaining and I would be very sad if it goes away.
Dude, relax. Last time I checked, this is still the month of April, so we're good in terms of releasing an episode. For the last three episodes, we recorded them at the end of the previous month and released them early in the following month. We didn't do that this time because we weren't ready, and also because we were at MegaCon doing Gundamn. Also, since we're switching to bi-monthly now, the episodes will be recorded in the same month they release. The show isn't going anywhere.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Hi guys. I have a small question about the Wheel of Time.

You mentioned in there a spell (I can't recall the name) that removes a person from existence. Now, let's say person A casts that spell on person B and removes B from both existence and memory.

Now, if someone were to later cast the same spell on person A, what would happen to person B, since person A never existed to remove him/her from existence?

Thanks! =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Chris
Administrator

The spell is called balefire. Your exact situation has not come up in the books, so all I can offer is a similar example. At one point, a main character gets killed by a high-level villain. That villain then gets balefired out of existence, which undid the death of that character. Also, although someone killed with balefire is wiped out of existence, they aren't totally wiped out of memory. It's a bit of a tricky concept, because when you have multiple instance of balefire being used, you're getting into the territory of time paradoxes.
christianwalker

AceAttorneyGundam wrote:Well, I know I wasn't part of the drop off because I've listened to all three. I have been an off/on fan of One Piece so I didn't even think that would cause anyone to not listen.

After three episodes we have a good feel for what this podcast is. Personally, I'm very much in on the show and have added it to my rotation (android auto-downloading and auto-add to my playlist ftw)

Good points:
Pedro and Chris have a very good dynamic. I enjoy the feeling of being included in a conversation between two longtime friends. That is part of what makes Gundamn great.

Good material coverage. The last two topics were VERY broad and I think that the pacing, coverage and explanations were on point.

Enthusiasm. Both Pedro and Chris got the feeling across that they carried about each of these topics and were very interested in sharing them

Down points:
Not on the overall of the show, but episode 3 was a downer. The mention of the drop off of listeners sucked to hear, but was needed. The bad part was that you could tell that a bit of the sting of the episode was lost because of the re-record. It might have been a better idea to just 'lost episode' this one to later and pick a new topic off the fly.

Comedy. There have been some good moments, but nothing very stand out yet. I know you can't force comedy, but maybe you guys need to try to make each other laugh. I know you guys are both used to the format, so loosen up a bit, have fun.

The thing that is going to help the most here is if we as an audience get more into the show. We need some topic suggestions, some ideas of what we want to hear. FILL UP THAT MAILBAG!! Download podcasts and get the word out. Let's also make sure we 5 star the show on iTunes!

I am a new listener. This episode was actually my first. You pretty much covered all of my points. I came to this site to see what people where saying. I look forward to more episodes and wanted to lend my support. The guys did a good job even if the the frustration was evident.
Keep up the good work, Chris and Pedro! I look forward to more.
SolidSpidr

Chris wrote:Also, although someone killed with balefire is wiped out of existence, they aren't totally wiped out of memory.
I believe Moiraine said at one point that the intensity of the Balefire determined how far back that person was erased from existence. A weak balefire might just erase person A's existance for a few minutes prior to being hit but a powerful blast of balefire could erase his existence years back or even to the point of causing him to never be born.
“The school of the undefeated East!”
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
“Look! The East is burning red!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
Slyther2rao

I really need to listen to this episode. Been too long since I heard anything from the MAHQ crew e.t.c XD

All the same, I am aware of the massive length of the series. Worth a read? Given the time I'm always on the lookout for new stuff to read and have heard about this series for a while. I do have full audio copies of the first two books and did like the first one. Worth getting back into because first time I was quite intrigued.
SolidSpidr

Slyther2rao wrote:I really need to listen to this episode. Been too long since I heard anything from the MAHQ crew e.t.c XD

All the same, I am aware of the massive length of the series. Worth a read? Given the time I'm always on the lookout for new stuff to read and have heard about this series for a while. I do have full audio copies of the first two books and did like the first one. Worth getting back into because first time I was quite intrigued.
If you have the time, I would say read it.
“The school of the undefeated East!”
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
“Look! The East is burning red!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
Mekton GM

Well I'm biteing the bullet just got the first 6 books for around $40 (thank you employee discount)
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
Mekton GM

Quick question Chris. Prince of Zeon asked in the "What book are you reading" thread in the general descusion forum, where would a new reader start the series with Eye of the World or New Spring? Also at what point while reading the series would you recomend that we read New Spring?
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Chris
Administrator

I'm honestly not sure what to tell you. It's been a long time since I've read New Spring, so I can't recall if it spoils in advance things you learn later in the main series. As a prequel, it's almost sure to spoil some things from what I can recall. Your best bet is to start with The Eye of the World and go back to New Spring later. After three or four books you should be ok to going back and not getting any spoilers, from my hazy memory of New Spring.
Mekton GM

Re: Ep. 003: The Wheel of Time

Posting it here because Chose Theater doesnt have a news thread.

Darrell Sweet, artist for the covers art of the The Wheel of Time has died.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/12/darrel ... -1934-2011
Chris
Administrator

Oh man, that sucks to hear. I was never the biggest Sweet fan - I liked his backgrounds and landscapes, but not so much his people. Still, his art was an iconic part of the series, and it's a shame that won't see it through to the end either.
bertman4

I know Audible is one of your sponsors. I'd like to recommend the audiobooks to those of you who are thinking of WoT but are discouraged by the thought of reading 14 books. These books are read by Kate Reading and Michael Kramer, two outstanding readers. This was the first audiobook where I heard the women's point of view chapters read by a woman, and the men's point of view chapters read by a man. The production value is very high. And you get to hear how to pronounce some of these weird names in the books.

I think I listened to Lord of Chaos but quit after that. Audiobooks can highlight both the good and the bad of a novel. As Chris and Pedro mentioned, many of the women are just unlikable bitches. It really detracted from the story telling. I found myself yelling at the audiobook because I came to hate some of the female characters. You know how Quentin Tarrantino has a foot fetish and inserts all kinds of feet imagery in his films? Yeah, Jordan had some weird women issues. That's the only reasonable expalantion for some of his female characters and the way they interact/treat the male characters.

Anyway, thanks for covering WoT.

PS. Also, Brandon Sanderson's 10 part Stormlight Archive novels will be read by Kate Reading and Michael Kramer. I just finished the first book (the only book so far published) and it was a fantastic listen. It was heavy on exposition but nevertheless a fantastic beginning to an epic series.