Pacific Rim (Upcoming mecha vs kaiju movie)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Vent Noir

Pacific Rim (Upcoming mecha vs kaiju movie)

Guillermo Del Toro to direct "Pacific Rim"

I posted this in Neo's News, but I thought people might like to discuss it here.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
wraith1701

Re: Pacific Rim (Upcoming mecha vs kaiju movie)

I think it sounds freakin' cool!

The backstory looks pretty well thought out, and the portal to another universe idea is neat. DelToro has a gift for taking the fantastic and making it look like it could be taking place in the real world. If I had to choose someone to create a believable depiction of Giant Robot VS Monster action, he'd be the guy.
kayone73

wraith1701 wrote:I think it sounds freakin' cool!

The backstory looks pretty well thought out, and the portal to another universe idea is neat. DelToro has a gift for taking the fantastic and making it look like it could be taking place in the real world. If I had to choose someone to create a believable depiction of Giant Robot VS Monster action, he'd be the guy.
Del Toro is such a sci-fi fantasy nerd I agree with you, we're lucky to have someone with those kinds of hardcore passions who happens to be a very good filmmaker at the same time.

A lot of people dump on the Hellboy films, esp the 2nd one and from a mainstream, commerical POV, I can sort of see where they're coming from, but as a comic book reader, I can tell both those films were a real labor of love from GDT and think he'll do a great job making this upcoming film, even if it's not exactly everyone will like.
TetraVaal

I've never really seen anyone belittle Hellboy 2... it even received a pretty good amount of acclaim from both critics and fans (not that that stuff means anything), but I'm just saying that I've never really seen anyone insult those films. Anyway, Del Toro has been hit or miss with me throughout his entire career, but damn he's one likeable dude. I'll be giving this film a look for sure, since I love both mecha and giant monsters. I'm just glad that he told Universal to stick it once they told him At the Mountain of Madness couldn't be R rated, talk about a bold move for him. Passion over politics, I like that.