Topic Submission Thread Mark II

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Topic Submission Thread Mark II

Spotlight on various anime studios and their works they have produced.
From say Gainax to Sunrise to Bandai to Toei and more.
Discuss them and some of their known works or infamous works ect.

Just have some fun with it.
SwordBits

Since you guys are gonna be doing a Patlabor roundup pretty soon, you probably aren't gonna get to something like this for a while, but since Code Geass was generally a success and since all his works are available on DVD, I was thinking maybe you could do something a bit different and do a Goro Taniguchi roundup sometime in the future. This would be particularly awesome to hear you guys talk about Planetes or even the over the top badassary of s-CRY-ed and Gun x Sword.
awesome78

Since everyone has a guilty anime pleasure how about you guys talk about sci-fi or mecha anime that you enjoyed but are too embarrassed to admit it to others, you can even have listeners participate in this segment if you don't have enough material for it.
Mekton GM

Well I dont know if this is a Gundamn topic or a Chaos Theater topic so I'm posting it in both.
Why not do a anime spotlight on Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's 1989 movie Venus Wars. Its a beutifly done movie (with the exeption of some of what happens durring the 3rd act) It's kinda mecha with some of the vehicle designs.
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
kayone73

If it hasn't been mentioned before, maybe a spotlight on a couple lesser known but good mecha related OVAs

Dragon's Heaven (chris should know this one since the mech designs appear on MAHQ)

Roujin Z, yeah the movie about the mecha nursing home bed, I think that story was WAY ahead of its time.

And I know it's not strictly mech, but futuristic Fighter jets with AI, but Sentō Yōsei Yukikaze. Really cool series.
Rahxephon91

Would really love a Nadeisco spotlight. Been re-watching it recently. It's such an enjoyable tv show......

that happens to have a less enjoyable movie.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Would it be possible to have an episode or segment featuring all the MAHQ staff?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
AceAttorneyGundam

The recent topic on Anime we'd like to see re-done, plus a recent mailbag question about which UC manga we'd like animated made me want another question answered.

What anime should be re-done to include parts from their manga not in the original animation?

A great example of this working was Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. While I enjoyed the first show, the ending did leave a bit of a bad taste and Brotherhood showed me how awesome the original creator's intent was. We also have a Berserk show coming up that will follow the manga. Very excited by that.

Some mecha/sci-fi that deviate from the manga:
Outlaw Star
Trigun (more especially the manga Trigun: Maximum)
Vision of Escaflone (three different manga interpretations to pick from)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Gurren Gakuen-hen (alternate universe)

Another mention is Gunsmith Cats. After the show, Sonoda started a manga which has some much better storylines and new characters (and a lot of Bean being a badass) plus the new Gundsmith Cats BURST comics (which I haven't finished). I think this show could have some strong appeal for an American audience (probably more than Japanese).
kayone73

Throwing out Musekinin Kanchou Tyler (Irresponsible Capt Tyler) for a series discussion, including the original TV series and sequel OVAs. It was mentioned in an earlier Gundamn segment by Chris during the topic of favorite Mecha captains. As he mentioned, it does feature goofy looking mecha power suits but is more a ship combat show like Yamato or legend of Galactic Heroes. Probably one of my favorite lesser known anime shows from the 90s.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I know Chris doesn't like doing these but what about a Top 5 Fav Women of Macross and Least Favorite Woman?

Neo, how about a least fav OTHER than poor Ranka? :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

Here is an idea after hearing Chris on the Tomocast episode recently.

Listener Participation: What was your first Robot Toy?

Simple enough just make a thread and let people post their answers in there for fun.
Just a small idea.
Mu La Flaga

Here is a new idea came to mind I don't think you guys have done.

The Senpai or mentor type characters in mecha anime.
For instance Roy Fokker in Macross, Mu La Flaga in SEED, Ozma in Macross Frontier, Gamlin in Macross 7.

So you guys can probably expand on that from there.
Take note if they were good or bad pilots, as mentor type characters and all that sort of thing.
kayone73

Couple different giant robot animes with very similar styles.

Yasuhiro Imagawa's (G Gundam) Giant Robo; The Day the Earth Stood Still

Masahiko Murata's (Mazinkaiser) GR: Giant Robo the TV series

and The Big O series. I just finished watching this on the Adult Swim site. Be interesting to hear your thoughts on wether the series had great storytelling or was just a load of pretentious crap.
Mu La Flaga

Just adding Dai-Guard and Strain for anime spotlight recommendations.
Since Dai-Guard has a special place in Soul Bro's heart.
And Strain is one that Chris and D_G both seem to like and is under rated, not to mention I want to learn more about it.
((I brought the series off Amazon based off the short prologue to the series Chris gave in the 2010 Megacon special)

Forgot to add Dancougar Nova on to the list.

So there you go that is all I've got to add in this time.
prince_of_zeon

Rahxephon91 wrote:Would really love a Nadeisco spotlight. Been re-watching it recently. It's such an enjoyable tv show......
I second!

And speaking of that show (and the horrible last episode of Gekiganger 3), how about a discussion of some of the best and worst endings of mecha/sci-fi anime? It doesn't necessarily have to be even final battles, just how the shows concluded.

EDIT: One more--for the next Anime Toilet, how about that fantastic Chinese knockoff of Macross Frontier, Astro Plan?
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Mu La Flaga

prince_of_zeon wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:Would really love a Nadeisco spotlight. Been re-watching it recently. It's such an enjoyable tv show......
I second!

And speaking of that show (and the horrible last episode of Gekiganger 3), how about a discussion of some of the best and worst endings of mecha/sci-fi anime? It doesn't necessarily have to be even final battles, just how the shows concluded.

EDIT: One more--for the next Anime Toilet, how about that fantastic Chinese knockoff of Macross Frontier, Astro Plan?
I agree, that or get in to Full Metal Panic on the show :P

And I also mentioned Astro Plan and Space Gundam V on the end of page 7 :P
kayone73

Mu La Flaga wrote:
prince_of_zeon wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And I also mentioned Astro Plan and Space Gundam V on the end of page 7 :P
Also add in the korean Mazinger knockoff show Taekwon V, which has all sorts of cult status in korea complete w their own statue.

Maybe do a segment called 'Attack of the (knockoff) clones'.

Edit: another show came to mind, 80s fans may remember this OVA series but it's probably unknown to 90s & later: Kenichi Sonada's Gall Force, this show was BSG the remained series long before the new BSG was conceived.
Last edited by kayone73 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeino

I have two submissions for you guys.

The first is one I'm not sure if you've done already. A spotlight on F91's manga sequal by Tomino himself, Crossbone Gundam.

The second one is on the major Super Robot series of 70s and 80s like Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, Grendizer, Raideen, Steel Jeeg, Gaiking, Zambot 3, Daitarn 3, Combattler V Voltes V, Daimos and Dancougar as well as their OVAs and updated remake series like Getter Robo Armageddon, MazinKaiser, Shin Mazinger Z, Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu, New Steel Jeeg and Dancougar Nova.
prince_of_zeon

You know, I think another listener participation episode is in order, but maybe apart from simply asking questions, you guys could do a themed discussion, i.e. one of the threads on the board. One example might be having people express their opinions via Skype on Gundam Age in what would essentially be an audio version of the forum, or something to that effect.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Mu La Flaga

Got a suggestion that is right up Gundamn's alley.

Discussion of all 3 Transformers Michael Bay movies.
You know the good, the bad, the horrid, the awesome things to them all and your thoughts ect.
So just an idea to throw in.