Vibrating blades

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Stampede89

Re: Vibrating blades

ydawg314 wrote:A lot of times however you find vehicles like tanks still have weak spots. while the armor might hold together other internal parts such as inner support structure, welds, bolts, might begin to weaken. All if this assuming the armor doesnt absorb sound
Right, and how long would it take for it to even cause slight damage? And what are you taking about armor absorbing sound? I've already said that if said material is tempered, the brittleness is gone and it wouldn't work.
Kuruni wrote: Yes, and you would get even better results with a anti-matter cutter! Wait, that's still far dumber than space-rifting cutter! :mrgreen:

Seriously, vibro blade are mostly used in setting where energy blade aren't available. Maybe the tech aren't advance enough, being expensive, power hunger, blah blah blah.
I was referring to current plasma cutters, and besides, when you are trained in metallurgy and tool making, there are a lot of alarm bells that tend to come up.

Anyways, vibro blades would need to be made of material that wouldn't dull so quickly especially since the contact on whatever material you are cutting would accelerate the wear on it. That means the material would have to perform much like adamantium for it to stay effective to do any damage. That also doesn't take into account the massive mechanical stress in creating and sustaining the vibration.
ydawg314

Stampede89 wrote:
ydawg314 wrote:A lot of times however you find vehicles like tanks still have weak spots. while the armor might hold together other internal parts such as inner support structure, welds, bolts, might begin to weaken. All if this assuming the armor doesnt absorb sound
Right, and how long would it take for it to even cause slight damage? And what are you taking about armor absorbing sound? I've already said that if said material is tempered, the brittleness is gone and it wouldn't work.
Sorry i mistyped
I meant absorbed vibrations.

Just because something is tempered doesn't mean it cant vibrate (or does it? someone correct me if im wrong). Also it would'nt have to take that long if the right frequency is reached. Look at how quickly the glass shattered. The only factor which is questionable is energy and if we can have plasma blades this technology can also be powered. Thing thing that I am concerned with most if the strain this would have on the ms that is using it.
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
SonicSP

Speaking of which, I wonder whether the sonic daggers used by the VMS in Gundam 00 series has some plasma cutter mechanisms to assist it though? Since said blade also doubles as a long generated plasma sword afterall.
Red Zeta

SonicSP wrote:Speaking of which, I wonder whether the sonic daggers used by the VMS in Gundam 00 series has some plasma cutter mechanisms to assist it though? Since said blade also doubles as a long generated plasma sword afterall.
I was under the impression that the HRL used vibroblades, the AEU used sonic blades, the Union used plasma blades, and Celestial being used beam sabers.
This signature is three times wittier than the average signature.
SonicSP

The AEU and the Union use the same type of sonic dagger for the Enact and Flag. Both possess the ability to generate a plasma sword. I was entertaining the idea that the plasma feature here is somehow assisting the sonic blade dagger function somehow since said dagger also possess the ability to generate a plasma sword. The HRL do not have a small dagger weapon as far as I know.
JEFFPIATT

The HRL use semi-circle carbon blades and the heatsyncs on there rifles as melee wepions.