Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
mobiusdiablo

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

Okay as a followup to my last question, I heard that Pedro seemed not to feel that good about Birth by Sleep. Therefore, I must ask, Pedro (and or Chris) how you do feel about the Kingdom Hearts series? Good concept, bad concept, would it be good if it just didn't have the Disney characters?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
FordR

Out of curiousity, have either of you read the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin and/or The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent weeks?

If so, any particular thoughts on them?

If you've read the former, are you looking forward to the upcoming HBO tv show?
AKA- TheTrueYup
Destiny_Gundam

Has there even been a case where other people's hatred of something has made you like that thing even more? This tends to happen to me quite a bit, with stuff like Strike Witches, Asura Cryin' and currently Infinite Stratos (if you have anything to comment on about those shows, please do :)). I probably wouldn't like those shows as much as I do if it weren't for all the nay sayers.

On the other end of things, is there anything that you found yourself liking less because others go on about how great it is? An example for me is Gurren-Lagann, which I liked, but less so because everyone was going on about how super special awesome it was got on my nerves.

Also, this is probably a shot in the dark since this series is meant for housewives, but have you heard of/read the In Death series by JD Robb (pen name of Nora Roberts)? It's about a badass homicide lieutenant who solves murders with the help of her billionaire husband. It's set in the later 2050's, early 2060's so it has a sci-fi twist with all sorts of advanced technologies. The mysteries are good, the futuristic setting is well developed, but most of all the characters are lovable and the interplay between them are a pleasure. There's currently 40 books in the series, most of them being stand alone with recurring elements explained so anyone can get into it. I highly recommend it.

This last one's for Pedro. A reliable source informs me that you are obsessed with Yuki Nagato. As a fellow Yuki fan, I salute you for having good taste. How far does this obsession of yours stem? Outside of owning both seasons of the anime and the 4 novels so far, I have this figure and that's about it. What do you have to show off your Nagato love?

I likely don't have to ask what you thought of the Disappearence movie (I'm guessing you loved it), but which do you prefer? Normal Yuki or Disappearence Yuki? And no, you can't choose both :P
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
wielder

I heard Chris briefly mention Saint Seiya during the recent Gundamn episode with Tim Eldred, so I'd like to ask...what do you think about that series/property?

Personally speaking, I used to be a ridiculously huge fan during the late 90s but later realized that Masami Kurumada's inability to take advantage of the more interesting parts of the setting and/or take enough risks ended up disappointing me in the long run.

Granted, the beginning of the Hades arc was a breath of fresh air and the ending wasn't too bad...but for all of Saint Seiya's good points, such as dramatic fights and great background music, I think it didn't do enough to break away from the formula. I don't regret watching the show, nope, but just wish it had attempted to mix things up far more often and reinvigorate the story in a meaningful way.

Incidentally, I've been enjoying One Piece so far. Thanks for the new podcast and keep up the good work.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
MrVince

There are other one piece merchandise out there such as figurines, apparel, games, model kits of the last two ships, and even book ends! Is there any One Piece merchandise aside from the anime or manga that you have purchased? Is there something that's on your must have list?
Furious Rodimus

I read a quote somewhere to the effect that most fantasy writers either try to be like Tolkien or opposite from Tolkien; do you think this is true, why or why not?
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chris and Pedro.
Quick question for you guys, what are your opinions of Nippon Ichi games?
Like Disgaea series, Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, ect.

I like the games of Disgaea a bit, but I am annoyed how they cash in on the ports with more characters and stuff unlocked compared to the original versions(Disgaea 1&2 I'm looking at you) on say PS2 for instance.
Since I spent so many hours grinding, raising items, ect to get powerful enough to beat the bosses in game ect.
Now doing it all over again from scratch.

Used to spend many a long night leveling up and getting all the pieces for Land of Carnage in part 2.

Anyway that is all I've go this time for you guys.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue May 24, 2011 7:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
jabman025

Hey Chris, Pedro

In a recent episode of Chaos Theater you mentioned the decline of Japanese RPG's, and games in general, versus western games. I was curious if you thought this decline was due to the japanese trend of focusing on japan only. In terms of anime, gunpla, toys, etc... the japanese seem to focus on japanese sales and consumers. They leave the interantional audience as a secondary concern or worse. Is this same trend happening in video games, or is it that the japanese want to sell to international consumers and are just not sure how to do it.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Mekton GM

Seeing as you guys love the The Wheel of time series what other scifi/fantasy novel series have you read and enjoyed?

Have you read anything from famed author Greg Bear? I'm reading the new Halo novel "Cryptum" this is my first time reading anyhting from him and I'm finding it a bit of a tough read.

Also I dont know if you are fans of the Halo series but what are your thoughts on its expanded universe of novels and comics?
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
sakurangel

wielder wrote:I heard Chris briefly mention Saint Seiya during the recent Gundamn episode with Tim Eldred, so I'd like to ask...what do you think about that series/property?

Personally speaking, I used to be a ridiculously huge fan during the late 90s but later realized that Masami Kurumada's inability to take advantage of the more interesting parts of the setting and/or take enough risks ended up disappointing me in the long run.

Granted, the beginning of the Hades arc was a breath of fresh air and the ending wasn't too bad...but for all of Saint Seiya's good points, such as dramatic fights and great background music, I think it didn't do enough to break away from the formula. I don't regret watching the show, nope, but just wish it had attempted to mix things up far more often and reinvigorate the story in a meaningful way.

Incidentally, I've been enjoying One Piece so far. Thanks for the new podcast and keep up the good work.
Im also a huge fan of the series saint seiya since im 10 and can be compare quote to quote to DBZ foron of the best shonen series ever... and will be great here some point of view from pedro and chris about the series...
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
Mu La Flaga

Hi Chris and Pedro.
Dropping in another entry for the mailbag.
I am dipping in to retro cartoons but I'm mentioning ones with elements of fantasy or scifi in them, so feel free to comment or add your own entries for retro cartoons(retro as in encompassing 80s to late 90s)

Do you guys think that in the 80s and 90s was brilliant era for Western Animated shows?
To me I think it was loaded with creativity.

Anyway here is my list.

Mummies Alive(got a simple yet awesome story based around Egyptian mythology with fantasy elements in it alot)
Bionic Six(definete scifi elements there with nanotechnology ect)
Dino Riders(simple yet interesting idea, where you got a war in the past on Earth with people riding Dinosaurs with weapons on them in to battle)
Gargoyles(Do I need to say why for this one?)
Street Sharks(You have the whole thing of genetic engineering and all that sort of thing and to me, the storyline was pretty interesting, better handled then Extreme Dinosaurs)
MASK(Just plain awesome yet simple concept for a series)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(Do I really need to say on this one?)
Conan the Adventurer(A pretty good series based off the comic series and had alot of fantasy elements to it)
Visionaries(An interesting world and setting, I liked this one a bit had elements of magic and technology)
Inhumanoids(The big bad world right under our feet filled with all sorts of nasties and Earth Force battling them)
MIB the Series(Just to throw it in there and it was nice to see a series expanded beyond the movies, especially when the 2nd movie never did that well compared to the 1st)

That is all I have, curious to hear what you guys think.
Finally I want to say, all of these shows I do like still, despite how silly or cheesy some of them may be nowadays.

I would also like to tack on Centurions and Exosquad, but those might be crossing over in to Gundamn@MAHQ's territory.

That is all I've got, thanks guys.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sun May 29, 2011 6:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zeino

Hello, Chris and Pedro. Since you guys have already made it well known that you love One Piece, I would like to know your opinions on the the other major Shonen series? Dragonball/Dragonball Z , Fist of the North Star, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Hunter × Hunter, Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, D.Gray-man, Fullmetal Alchemist and Soul Eater.
Ray

For someone who's used to anime and just starting to skirt the boarders of novelized scifi , can you recommend any titles that will keep me interested?

I made the mistake of picking up Ian M. Banks' "The Algebraist"... Soured my tastes.
Flame-X

Since this question has already been answered in Gundamn, I'll direct this to Pedro.

Have you ever played a PSone J-RPG game called Xenogears? If so, what are your thoughts on it?
animalia

1. Have any of you read the Animorphs book series and what did you think of it?

2. Do you enjoy the NOVELs of Michael Crichton?

3. What do you think about the Star Wars Expanded Universe? Personally i fell it generally fares better then the movie triologies, but i am curious about your opinions.
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chaos Theater duo.
Got some new questions for you both.

1.On a Filimation related note after doing episode 4 on Star Trek: The animated series, I was wondering if either of you have seen New Adventures of Flash Gordon?
If yes, what are your opinions on it, I have the whole series on DVD and watched it, it was in a simillar vein to Star Trek where it was a little more mature in some of its content, even if the episode plots could be predicatable sometimes.

2.Have either of you seen or watch The Adventures of Merlin/Merlin, the UK made live action series?
I think it's a very interesting series and has kept me interested in the story each episode or sometimes 2 parter episode, the characters have been interesting to watch.

If you have watched it throw your opinions in to the ring :P
I personally have enjoyed it alot, season 3 as I type this is starting up in 1 day from now.(8th May here in Australia just to be clear)

Also just to say also I like alot of the cast and John Hurt who voices the Great Dragon was also the guy who played the role of the crewman Kane in Aliens who had an Alien come out of his chest.

3.Name some good and bad video game movies?
For instance.

Good: Mortal Kombat, Silent Hill, Resident Evil(first 2-3 movies)
Bad: Mortal Kombat Annihilation, Tekken, Wing Commander.

Also a small note for Pedro, I support you on Total Recall, it's still a good movie, it may show it's age but it's still good.

Thanks in advance and look forward to your answers.
Also sorry for the double parking in the mailbag, the straight talk express and that party van of pedro's, needs to park somewhere anyway :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue May 31, 2011 11:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mu La Flaga

Edit: I lumped my other questions together in the mailbag instead of double posting so ignore this!
animalia

In a previous episode you mentioned Fushigi Yuugi, I Am wondering if either of you have read the Prequel manga Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden? I own all 9 volumes released in English and i like it even better then the original.
Mu La Flaga

Hello to the duo in charge of the theater of chaos.
Got 2 question/topics for you to discuss, so here you go.

1.This one goes for Pedro more first, but also applies to Chris if he has played these games..
"A tale of souls and swords eternally retold",
"welcome to the new page/stage in history",
but also applies to Chris if he has played this series of games.
Thoughts on the Soul Calibur games(including Soul Edge)?, I myself only have 2,3 and Broken Destiny, I love 3 for the innovations it brought and weapons and new characters, but do I ever HATE the cheating AI in the game, especially noticable in Olcadan the secret boss route fight.

Also just to say on another note for 3 I loved the storyline for it, it was a little more complex or involving for all the characters and the interactive button input scenes added more.
That and and Zasalamel is one awesome, cold calculating, mannipulative, bad ass, neutral party, since he never fought for Soul Edge's will or Soul Calibur's side to destroy the evil sword.
I found his story of seeking to rid himself of his re-incarnation curse to be interesting, that was what drove him
Not to mention the soundtrack I like so many of the music tracks, even the character select(SC3 I refer)
On a sound related note the voices of SC 2 in English weren't that good(some, not all of them), SC3 was much better, for instance Astaroth voiced by same guy as Charles Brittania(Mike McConnohie), Talim by Hyden Welch(think Nia from Gurren Laggan), Zalasmel is Keith Silverstien aka Full Frontal from Unicorn, Siegfried is done by Crispin Freeman one of Chris'es favs.
For the Japanese voices there is a bunch of familliar names in there which have been voicing characters for a bit, Nobiyuki Hiyama(Siegfried), Toshiyuki Morikawa(Mitsurugi), Houko Kuwashima(Seonng-Mi-na), Sochiro Hoshi(Killik) for examples.

Broken Destiny is good, but it was a stripped down version of 4 for PSP.
Also just to add this in for fav characters to use here are mine(in terms of gameplay and story at least during 3 )
Story wise: Talim, Cassandra, Zasalmel, Mitsurugi, Taki, Cervantes and off the top of my head.
I tend to play best with Talim, Cassandra, Zasalmel, Taki, Yun-Seung and Olcadan most of all though out of the ones listed(in that order)
Pedro make mention of yours and Chris also if he plays Soul Calibur as well.
Just a quick note, I enjoyed the new classes the game added from Chronicles of the Sword RPG like mode, but watch out for that nasty save corruption, I never got hit with it fortunately.:P

2.For Chaos Theater I just to have throw this movie in to the mix here, being SciFi and all, I refer to Event Horizon, an interesting scifi horror gore entry, to me it's a movie I love with some interesting ideas and all(such as the concept of the ship's main warp drive creating wormholes), on youtube there are 1-2 clips of scenes cut from the movie including back story Dr Weir(Sam Neil's character)

Not to mention in screenings of the movie in the original person it was bad enough some people threw up from it, but I'm just going to put this down, 3 moments that make me cringe.

A)When Justin gets sent out of the airlock expsosed to the vaccum of space without a spacesuit.
B)When DJ the doctor is cut open and strung up whilst still alive.
C)The time the crew discovers the graphic log of the original crew of the titular ship and what happened to them.

So anyway what are your opinions on this movie?, as it was once mentioned On Gundamn@MAHQ in brief during episode 40 or 41 I believe.

Curious to hear your answers.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:32 am, edited 12 times in total.
SwordBits

Hi Pedro And Chris. I was wondering, what blogs or news sites do you guys use in order to keep up with new fantasy and sci fi novels coming out? I was wondering cause I find myself reading a lot of books lately and it's hard to know who is a good, reliable source for information, especially with so much coming out at any given time. Thanks guys!