Ep. 074 - Solid Snake Society

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 074 - Solid Snake Society

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 074 - "Solid Snake Society"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 130 min., 01 sec. (2:10:01) - 59.5 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & Revenge of the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:58:16 (Duration: 0:57:33)

03. Jabman: Defender of Destiny!!! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 0:58:16 - 0:59:29 (Duration: 0:01:13)

04. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:59:29 - 0:59:57 (Duration: 0:00:28)

05. 1st Segment: "G.I.T.S. Round-up! - 'Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence" (Movie)[/i]
Runtime: 0:59:57 - 1:26:14 (Duration: 0:26:17)

06. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:26:14 - 1:27:16 (Duration: 0:01:02)

07. Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios (YouTube Channel)
Runtime: 1:27:16 - 1:28:16 (Duration: 0:01:00)

08. 2nd Segment: "G.I.T.S. Round-up! - 'Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig'" (Movie)[/i]
Runtime: 1:28:16 - 1:59:46 (Duration: 0:31:30)

09. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:59:46 - 2:01:16 (Duration: 0:01:30)

10. "The Brightslap™!" by Garma Strikes!
Runtime: 2:01:16 - 2:02:31 (Duration: 0:01:15)

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:02:31 - 2:10:01 (Duration: 0:07:30)

In our final installment of G.I.T.S. Round-ups!, we hit you with a One-Two Punch - tackling the anime movies "Innocence" & "Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society"!

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

After listening to this episode, make sure to check out the gang at the "I Thought They Smelled Bad On The Outside" podcast! This time Gundamn's own Neo Lorrnoke appears with show hosts and MechaTalk.net regulars, The Fowl Sorcerous and Scott! The episode, which is "Battle of the Bands: The Who vs. Led Zeppelin", is finally up! Peep the links below for that and previous episodes!

I Thought They Smelled Bad On The Outside
Main Website: SBOPodcast.BlogSpot.com
Episode 015 - Battle of the Bands: The Who vs. Led Zeppelin
Twitter: @SBOpodcast
Also available on iTunes!

Thanks for having Neo co-host on the show, gentlemen, and for all who listen, don't forget to subscribe to them on iTunes, follow them on Twitter, and peep their main site on the regular for updates and new episodes!

Also, the Chaos Theater is live with no jive, gang! Join Pedro "Pedobear South" Cortes (of Tomopop.com & Tomocast) and MAHQ & Gundamn's own Chris Guanche in their new podcast - one that focuses on many other facets of Otakudom! Video Games, Comics/Manga, Merchandise, Books, Movies, TV & every other genre of Anime (sans Mecha) will be conversed about over a couple of cold ones by Chris & Pedro and they invite you to join 'em! (NSFW for younger ears!)

Peep the links below for the latest episode & more info:

- Chaos Theater (Main Website)

- Chaos Theater Ep. 003 - "The Wheel of Time" - MP3 (Right-click & Save!)

- Chaos Theater MechaTalk.net Official Forum:
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewforum.php?f=32

- Chaos Theater, Ep. 003 - "The Wheel of Time" - Feedback Thread
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13805

- Feedback Email: [email protected]

- Twitter: @CTCast

Finally, Shinjuku Station has just started a podcast, reviewing the latest movies in the theaters, films we missed that are now on home video, and classic movies that have left their mark. The assortment of reviewers will vary from review to review, with participants from "Gundamn! @ MAHQ", "Level Nine", "Flip the Script!" and other podcasts! Check out our first review - featuring Lee Majors, The Wonder (formerly Boiwondr), Neo Lorrnoke & Soul Bro Ryu - as we discuss "Battle: Los Angeles"!

Shinjuku Station At the Movies
Review 001: Battle: Los Angeles
- Download Now!: 128 kbps - 55 min., 25 sec. (0:55:25) - 50.7 MB - NSFW!
Review 002: Sucker Punch (NEW!!!)
- Download Now!: 128 kbps - 62 min., 45 sec. (1:02:45) - 57.4 MB - NSFW!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode
- Coming Soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
NastyNate

Re: Ep. 074 - Solid Snake Society

I think Chris forgot to mention his favorite forum to visit besides mechatalk.net is the Robotech.com form. :lol:

Anyways...great ep.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Mu La Flaga

Ok so a quick response from me.
Thanks Chris for answering that later batch of questions this time around.
I would like to say firstly you guys couldn't think of say the Matrix being inspired by Ghost in the Shell and all that?

As for Code Geass adaptation question, you have some good points, I just thought it was worth a shot to try for something a little simpler and all in some ways, but it would take alot of changes to make it work then it wouldn't be Code Geass so much.

But I did ask, also if you could think of any potential candidates as I said in my question in episode 72 Neo reckonned Space Battleship Yamato if done right.
Those are my brief thoughts, I may edit and add more to this post later on will see how things go.
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:I would like to say firstly you guys couldn't think of say the Matrix being inspired by Ghost in the Shell and all that?
What? Your question was about anime that has been inspired by live action movies, so why would we mention The Matrix being inspired by GitS?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

True, I wasn't quite sure, but thinking on it, wasn't sure if the original GITS came before the Matrix or not back then.

I can't think of any sort of more direct examples of ones right now, since got to check to see which one comes first, the movie or the anime.

Wasn't sure on GITS.
The Matrix came out in 1999 and Ghost in the Shell original movie was 1996 or so.
So I'm off on that one.
Then again it got dubbed then it took 6 months to get released down here in Australia, so there is that time added on to it, just saying though.

I'm low on ideas, Macross Plus was one that came to mind though.
Transformers Prime sort of almost counts, but then again it's western animation.

Bah, can't think of any really right now.

Also just curiously, what happened to the GoDaddy Sponsor and all that?
Did they drop sponsorship or go under or something?
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:Also just curiously, what happened to the GoDaddy Sponsor and all that? Did they drop sponsorship or go under or something?
All I can say is they are currently not a sponsor, but it has nothing to do with us.
Mr Bushido

I guess I should have been more specific on the scary Gundam part of my question. I meant it to be which did you guys think was freaky looking.

Also Chris, about the 00 mangas. The special editions of the dvds include them. I bought the special editions for both seasons 1 and 2 and oddly at the Fry's where I bought it, the standard dvd and the special edition were exactly the same price. I'm not sure if you already own the series but that's certainly an option. I think Amazon has some of the special editions for pretty cheap.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Chris
Administrator

I haven't bought 00 on DVD because I've been holding out for news of if Bandai Entertainment will release it on Blu-ray. Since that seems increasingly unlikely, I might just get the inevitable Anime Legends releases.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Chris wrote:I haven't bought 00 on DVD because I've been holding out for news of if Bandai Entertainment will release it on Blu-ray. Since that seems increasingly unlikely, I might just get the inevitable Anime Legends releases.
Because that Blu-ray thing isn't really catching on. Way to look to the future, Bandai.

BTW, I forgot how the Wii code looks lilke a FedEx tracking number.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Dollow

Chris wrote:I haven't bought 00 on DVD because I've been holding out for news of if Bandai Entertainment will release it on Blu-ray. Since that seems increasingly unlikely, I might just get the inevitable Anime Legends releases.
Good ep

I got the First season of 00 on dvd, but I had a bunch of problems, so I never wanted to try with the second season on dvd, I figured if I buy dvd they sell Blu-Rey someday. I do not believe that anymore. I personally don't think the Anime Legends of 00 are going to be any better (sigh).
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
FordR

Yet another entertaining ep, I'll be sure to put solid state society on my netflix que after this.

Also nice job with the Shinjuku station podcast, very entertaining and good to know, I'll check out "I thought They Smelled Bad On The Outside" at some point, hopefully will also be good. :D
AKA- TheTrueYup
The Fowl Sorcerous

Well I think ITTSBOTO is pretty good, but I might be biased...

What do you guys mean my philosophy degree doesn't fast-track me up the ranks of federal law enforcement or organized crime!? I'm changing my major! I will miss the fancy CG backgrounds in the lecture halls.
[[lorem ipsum]]
jabman025

Hey guys great show

Truth be told I didn't really like the Ghost in the Shell innocence. I like Neo, got the crappy inital release by Dreamworks, and I watched it once. That was enough, the plot was kind of dull. Bato was very depressing, and the action was virtually non exsitant till the end of the movie when the Major comes back. Maybe I was just expecting to much but this movie just rubbed me the wrong way.

Now as for the Solid State Society. I really enjoyed it. The plot was compelling, the action hit the ground running, and once again the characters in the movie were great. I paticularly like the way Togusa was portrayed. Also, like you guys said this was Yoko Kanno at her best and that is really saying something. My favorite moment in the movie had to be when Togusa was going to kill himself to prevent his daughter from being brainwashed by the puppetmaster. It was one of those jump out of my chair and cheer moments, when I saw the Major stop him. The only issue I have with this movie is that it kind of hints at a possible third season, which we have yet to see......
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Arbiter GUNDAM

Another well put together episode! I do have to say, I enjoyed the mailbag more than the rest of the episode as I have never seen any of the GiTS series'.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Shinigam_Newtype

Maybe I missed something but didn't Solid State Society imply that Kusanagi was the puppeteer all along? The engineer guy had been dead two years prior to the incident and the exchange between Kusanagi and the guy at the end suggests they are one of the same. Remember, earlier in the movie, we see that Kusanagi can control 2 bodies at a time.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080