Iron Man 3

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Iron Man 3

So apparently this guy named Shane Black (?) is directing the next Iron Man movie. I don't know anything about this guy. What do you guys know and do you think it's going to be good for the Iron Man franchise?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
TetraVaal

Re: Iron Man 3

"This guy named Shane Black"... seriously? You never heard of Shane Black?! He was only instrumental in reviving RDJ's career and turning it around for him. He's also most renowned for penning the The Lethal Weapon, The Last Boyscout, and The Last Action Hero. He played a very big part in the 80s and 90s action revolution (the better part, anyway). He's also an extremely cool and humble guy and puts an incredible amount of effort into his work. Oh, and he also played Hawkins in The Predator.

Anyway, his directorial effort was Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang, which is quite possibly one of the most underrated action movies ever made. It received a massive amount of critical acclaim (and rightfully so), but wasn't a big money maker and most audiences don't even seem to recognize the title when you bring it up to them.

Just take it from a guy who detests these comic book movies with EVERY fiber of his being... Shane Black directing Iron Man 3 = me actually being excited about a superhero film, very excited, in fact. It looks like this and the new Wolverine film will finally have credible directors who aren't just about explosions or glossy VFX, but rather, actually give a f#ck about their craft and will put an extra amount of effort into making the best product possible.

Iron Man 3 will be leaps and bounds better than either of Favreau's underwhelming movies (provided that the studios give him 100% creative freedom). You can bet your ass that IM3 will feature its most mature, yet humerous content to date. Count me in.
Last edited by TetraVaal on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mu La Flaga

Tetra stopping voicing your opinion on the Iron Man movies as if they met your higher then normal standards.

The 1st Iron Man movie did well for a reason, Iron Man 2 did have it's flaws but they were still strong movies in their own rights.
Iron Man 2 had flaws also due to it being rushed because Marvel wanted it so.

So DO NOT disrespect John Favreau.
And if you detest these comic book adaptations why are you commeting in this thread?

Besides I reserve judgement on Shane Black yet, sure he has done good action movies.
But handling a movie based off a comic book series of movies may be very different, we shall see.

I would have prefered Favreau do the main 3 movies for his ideas.

That is all I'm saying, just show some respect in your opinions Tetra.
If you consider these things underwhelming go watch Revenge of the Fallen for something horrid.
The Iron Man movies earnt money for a reason, they were well made for the most part.
TetraVaal

...What opinions of mine did I pass off as fact? Let's see, the credentials of Shane Black that I provided aren't opinions, those are facts, check. The citation of his first feature film being a critical success, but under-the-radar amongst the movie going audience ins't an opinion, that's a fact, check. Oh, I see, you're mad because I said I disliked Iron Man 2 and didn't really enjoy the first Iron Man movie, either. I don't care about how much money those films earned, money isn't not a measurable of quality, sorry.

Oh, and as for why I'm commenting on this thread, despite the fact I generally detest comic book films, hmmm... let's see, it wouldn't happen to have anything to do with filling the OP in on Shane Black, would it? I suppose you also missed the part where I not only said I'm excited for THIS film, but another comic book adaption (Wolverine 2) as well. Who knows, maybe you're just illiterate? Oh, and FYI, I didn't "disrespect" Favreau, I called his films the way that I (personally) see them... nothing more than massively-inflated budgets, with glossy VFX and boring, grandscale action, with one dimensional characters and storytelling with little to no substance.

Shane Black has the potential to do what Favreau can't do... and that's make Iron Man more than some kid friendly action movie.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well now that I know a little bit more about Shane Black, that makes me much happier! But will he be better than Favreau? I dunno know, I liked both Iron Man movies so far.

And settle down guys, or a Mod is going to come in here with a Gundam Ban-Hammer.

--Freyja Wion
TetraVaal

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:But will he be better than Favreau? I dunno know, I liked both Iron Man movies so far.
If the studios give Shane 100% creative freedom (which it looks they're going to do, as the studios weren't happy with Iron Man 2), then yes, I'm going to (safely) say that Black will make a film that is infinitely better than both of Favreau's films. Trust me, as long as the studios don't get in Shane's ear, he'll bang out a compelling superhero film.
Arbiter GUNDAM

As long as Tony Stark doesn't turn into an emo, Ill be fine.

*cough*Spider-Man 3*cough* :lol:

--Freyja Wion
TetraVaal

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:As long as Tony Stark doesn't turn into an emo, Ill be fine.
You'll never have to worry about that with Black at the helm.

Speaking of which, Iron Man 3 will be more compressed and grounded, as opposed to being a big budgeted VFX extravaganza. It's been said by Black himself, that the film will be more like a Tom Clancy action thriller, with Iron Man taking on real world villains instead of constant robot foes.

It's sounding better than Favreau's films already, if you ask me.
Mu La Flaga

TetraVaal wrote:...What opinions of mine did I pass off as fact? Let's see, the credentials of Shane Black that I provided aren't opinions, those are facts, check. The citation of his first feature film being a critical success, but under-the-radar amongst the movie going audience ins't an opinion, that's a fact, check. Oh, I see, you're mad because I said I disliked Iron Man 2 and didn't really enjoy the first Iron Man movie, either. I don't care about how much money those films earned, money isn't not a measurable of quality, sorry.

Oh, and as for why I'm commenting on this thread, despite the fact I generally detest comic book films, hmmm... let's see, it wouldn't happen to have anything to do with filling the OP in on Shane Black, would it? I suppose you also missed the part where I not only said I'm excited for THIS film, but another comic book adaption (Wolverine 2) as well. Who knows, maybe you're just illiterate? Oh, and FYI, I didn't "disrespect" Favreau, I called his films the way that I (personally) see them... nothing more than massively-inflated budgets, with glossy VFX and boring, grandscale action, with one dimensional characters and storytelling with little to no substance.

Shane Black has the potential to do what Favreau can't do... and that's make Iron Man more than some kid friendly action movie.
If you can't see the aspect of the heart and story to Tony Stark's development, I don't know what to say to you there.

I mean really just fill him in and don't put down Favreau's movies, they earn money for good reasons and if the 1st movie was a hit for a good reason.
Not everyone shares your you've even admitted it yourself when you have said your standards are going to be kind of high.

Considering the Iron Man movies showed at least in the 1st movie, how Tony made the Mark 2 and tested it ect.

The whole concept of Power Armor, I always found that pretty good.
Like makin his repulsor cannons and his feet mounted rocket boosters.

I did say Iron Man 2 lacked a little, but the 1st movie was a very good movie.

On Shane Black as I said.
I reserve judgement on him, unless he has done a good comic book movie adaptation.
Favreau isn't top tier, but he has the Iron Man movies under his belt.

Iron Man 3 I don't know what to think, since Favreau wanted to do Mandarin.
I have no idea what Shane Black wants to do for a villian.

I have always prefered Marvel over DC anyway, in general their character portrayls and all were always done somewhat more realistically then DC.

I mean just to put this out there like Superman from DC, ok, a world with people who look like humans and all and have superhuman powers to crazy levels.
Yet chunks of their homeworld can drain them of their energy.

Sorry if I had a go at you though, I just get defensive because I enjoyed the 1st 2 Iron Man movies.
Dark Duel

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:As long as Tony Stark doesn't turn into an emo, Ill be fine.
I find it extraordinary implausible that Tony Stark, who is a womanizing, alcoholic speed junkie, could EVER possibly turn emo. If being slowly poisoned to death by the one device that's keeping him alive didn't do it(see Iron Man 2), nothing can.
Especially as long as Downey is playing the character, as he's basically playing himself with really cool toys.

I'm a little leery of changes in director during an ongoing film series, but I'm willing to hold judgement until I see it.
Which probably won't be for a while.
I have to ask though: Why's Favreau not directing 3? And will his character still appear in the movie?
Hope so - I liked him.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mu La Flaga

Well didn't Favreau and Marvel almost have a falling out with Iron Man 2?
Maybe they just decided to move on from him as a director

Or Favreau is busy with his own projects.
Jennuxia

I feel like an awful fangirl, I didn't know they were making a third movie...

I was more excited about Robert Downey Jr. being in the Avengers movie directed by Joss Whedon. Big Firefly and moderate Dollhouse fan here, but I thought that was supposed to be like the 'Iron Man 3' until now. Sorry if I'm getting off topic, I'm new and have no clue where to start here...
If you like RPing over IRC, please check out my mecha roleplay! I need people!
http://mechagame.webs.com/
Dark Duel

Nah, Iron Man 3 comes after Avengers.
And we get Cap before that.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
halo1000

Dark Duel wrote:Nah, Iron Man 3 comes after Avengers.
And we get Cap before that.
Incidentally here's the trailer for Captain America featuring Howard Stark for a brief moment...
Arbiter GUNDAM

Howard Stark: Creating new elements but not ACTUALLY being able to create new elements since 1941!

--Freyja Wion
Jennuxia

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Howard Stark: Creating new elements but not ACTUALLY being able to create new elements since 1941!
HAHAHA!!! Yeah, I wondered about that a bit too... Then again I guess all he really did was theorize it, the technology at the time wasn't advanced enough to actually make it, but my question is that if it was a new element, wouldn't it be superheavy and just collapse in a few milliseconds?

Tony: Hey! Look at me I'm not dyi-- *BOOM*
If you like RPing over IRC, please check out my mecha roleplay! I need people!
http://mechagame.webs.com/
Arbiter GUNDAM

This is comic book physics we're talking about here! 8)

--Freyja Wion
Kratos

I find it astonishing that people think the first Iron Man movie is anything less than a well-acted, well-written, refreshingly-adult-without-being-too-grimdark take on a superhero. Anyways.

This new Iron Man has lots of potential to be good, as long as what makes Tony Stark, Tony Stark isn't altered too heavily. They have a good thing going with the character in these movies. I'm open to pretty much any other idea, but Tony has to be Tony.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Thermolysis

Howard Stark in Captain America? Play that up please!

If Marvel manages to build up a significant amount of series crossover I'll be thrilled. I love it when a creator makes a consistent universe.
This machine has undergone numerous refinements.
burgerseatbright

I would pay money to see it if Scarlett Johansson was part of the cast again. The movies have always been cheesy, with villains I couldn't take seriously. But seeing Scarlett kick some ass as Black Widow would be worth my $10.