Gundam Game's Cinematics ...y?

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Darkerangel

Gundam Game's Cinematics ...y?

How come in some Gundam titles either no or very limited cinematics/cut scenes? And by cut scenes I mean new or added animation ones.

Don't get me wrong, I figure or atleast I think it's because to save money, but the companies that make them aren't in the poor house. And with games that do have them, this whole "to save money" thing just ain't flyin' with me anymore.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
Kuruni

Re: Gundam Game's Cinematics ...y?

I think War for Earth has 100% new cinematics, for most part of game. But nobody want to talk about it.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Calubin_175

Perfect One Year War (PS) and any pre Axis no Kyoui Giren no Yabou games(SS/PS/PS2) had heaps of newly drawn animation for storytelling. Encounters in Space had some original ones with the MSV ace piltos and the Space, the End of Flash Side Story.
Mark064

While I can't speak for certain I'd imagine it has to do with a variety of factors including cost, time, and game development goals. You have to remember that Gundam games are generally cheap production games made and are riding mostly on the fact they are Gundam, of course there are exceptions to this but that's what they are.

Other then that we can look at the games with familiar subject material and ask is there really a need to reanimate the famous scenes from the anime again? For example Pilots Locus on the Gamecube featured no cinematics at all and the game didn't lose anything from that because they wouldn't add anything new and would largely be familiar things we've seen multiple times. Other games like Lost War Chronicles are lacking in story generally and cinematics wouldn't add much. And then you have some like Rise From the Ashes which simply wouldn't fit into the game style at all.

The games are about the gameplay not about adding new fancy animation which fans can try to pick apart for scenes they've never seen or action not seen or something reanimated. The focus is probably on that instead of flash.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Darkerangel

Mark064 wrote:While I can't speak for certain I'd imagine it has to do with a variety of factors including cost, time, and game development goals. You have to remember that Gundam games are generally cheap production games made and are riding mostly on the fact they are Gundam, of course there are exceptions to this but that's what they are.

Other then that we can look at the games with familiar subject material and ask is there really a need to reanimate the famous scenes from the anime again? For example Pilots Locus on the Gamecube featured no cinematics at all and the game didn't lose anything from that because they wouldn't add anything new and would largely be familiar things we've seen multiple times. Other games like Lost War Chronicles are lacking in story generally and cinematics wouldn't add much. And then you have some like Rise From the Ashes which simply wouldn't fit into the game style at all.

The games are about the gameplay not about adding new fancy animation which fans can try to pick apart for scenes they've never seen or action not seen or something reanimated. The focus is probably on that instead of flash.
Which I agree, however every since the next generation gaming came out, it's all about the graphics now, which gameplay has taken a backseat. It is totally like you said the gameplay of it all, but when developers shows up a new game for example, it's usually a cutscene verses actual gameplay.

Now being that it's 2011 and shows from the past are being requipment toward 1080p I say, yes to reanimation in terms of gaming. I wish I could show it, but Youtube took it down, but they totally redid Amuro and Lalah's fight scene in a music video. Looks awesome.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
2NA Fish

A majority of Japanese game studios are a lot smaller than the big American ones. They simply don't have the money or manpower to do the same things you see in those Hollywood style games like Gears of War or Assasin's Creed.

As opposed to having 200 people working on a game over 4 years, a Japanese studio might only have 50 in their development team and have only 10 months to get the game finished.

If they outsource just their cinematics, I know some studios can charge $100,000 for a short 2 minute piece. Have a few of those and it will push the cost of making the game up by maybe a million dollars. Not worth the sacrifice for something that Bandai knows will sell well only in Japan.
Gatx

At the very least most Gundam games have pretty nice FMV intros. Journey to Jaburo had some really interesting animated scenes. You had animated scenes that were basically redone versions from the show, and then for the extra mission stuff you got to see animated versions of side story characters like Yuu Kajima and co. Continuing off of that, there was this "preview" of sorts of what they do after Jaburo.

I assume Encounters in Space is actually kind of a sequel to Journey to Jaburo in many ways, partly because it includes the same animated scenes for moments like Amuro fighting Char when Sayla comes in and what not. EiS also had animated scenes for their side story characters, but overall it wasn't the same quality.