8.9 Earthquake/Tsunami Hits Japan

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

8.9 Earthquake/Tsunami Hits Japan

While the story of the 1/1 scale Gundam statue's collapse in an earthquake is fake, the story on the earthquake isn't:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcaFBlH8tjM
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
TetraVaal

Re: 8.9 Earthquake/Tsunami Hits Japan

Over 88,000 people are confirmed missing... 11 nuclear reactors in 4 different plants have stopped working. Trains have disappeared... this is just nuts.

This is so terrible.

The Japan economy is crippled right now...
South Burning

Earthquake and tsunami in Japan

By now I'm certain everyone has seen news reports of the devastation in Japan from the earthquake and resulting tsunami. And I'm certain we all wish to send our most heartfelt thoughts to our brothers and sisters in Japan and in all the other locales affected by this horrific disaster. The only thing that separates us all from Japan is an ocean, and we should do what we can to help, even if we are limited to donating some small amount to any relief efforts that are organized.
1-4-4

TetraVaal wrote: The Japan economy is crippled right now...
Hm, maybe the yen will come down... XD

I kid. In fact I don't take this kind of death and destruction so lightly.
kayone73

As thew disaster coverage continues to unfold and the continued aftershocks which are bigger than regular earthquakes in other parts of the world. It's looking worse and worse.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Look at these pictures

Since this is Japan we're talking about, it looks like a few battalions of mobile suits just finished fighting a war. This might just be the worst natural disaster in history.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

The levle of devestation is insane seeing all these images.
Even some buildings weren't safe.
teslashark

I heard that Macross's creator Kawamori had gotten into a MD-500 heli and is photographing/filming the aftermath.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
SNT1

This is horrible.
Pray for Japan, and its people.

Earthquakes and Tsunami is bar none the most destructive force of nature, literally only giving you a handful of minutes at most to act. And I don't like the way their reactors aren't shutting down.

I have complete hope for the country though. If there's one example of a country coming back after a setback stronger than ever, it's Japan.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
teslashark

Fukushima nuclear powerplant damaged

A nuclear reactor is heavily damaged and have some posibility of a meltdown. The heat already killed a repairman form the JGSDF.

Japanese news about it:
原子力安全・保安院によると、東京電力福島第一原発1号機の炉心は、水位低下が止まらず、現在、自衛隊のタンク車やポンプ車が計3~5台出動し、給水をして冷却している。また、外務省を通じて米軍からも協力すると打診されているという。

保安院は、1号機の燃料部分ではウラン燃料を覆う金属製の「被覆管」だけではなく、燃料を固めた「ペレット」も溶けている恐れがあると見ている。

A somewhat unimportant news: crateloads of PS3s and PSP-GOs have been washed offshore. Sony is going to lose at least a season's revenue.

EDIT: Please use the Edit button instead of double-posting.

~ShadowCell
Kyuzo Aoi

I heard that the death toll might rise to two thousand.

This is a sad day for Japan, but the Japanese are known to never giving up. If they rebuilt after the Tokyo earthquake of 1923, after two nuclear strikes in World War II, after the Kobe earthquake in 1995, they will do so again.

The problem is that it will cost a huge pile of money, and other countries may be obligated to help even in a small way.
I am a Gundam!
bluemax151

You guys probably already know but it's pretty easy to find streaming news online from the likes of ustream. I've found this feed in English and it's been up for a while

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/coolzeldapingaz

If those workers actually stopped the meltdown they are world heroes.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Tangerine

TftF Discussion Thread #4

All my prayers for Japan. I hope the number of victims and destructions stops at minimum.
Destiny_Gundam

My thoughts go out to everyone there. I've given a donation to the Red Cross, and while it may not be much, in times like these every little bit counts.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
teslashark

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Look at these pictures

Since this is Japan we're talking about, it looks like a few battalions of mobile suits just finished fighting a war. This might just be the worst natural disaster in history.
Not battalions. F*shing DIVISIONS.
Frankly, everything is going down pear-shaped just like the movie 2012. Another plant is damaged and the volcano of Kirishima is erupting. Fortunately both US and Russia are helping Japan.
Random point: I am going to a MUN meeting about nuclear future andinternational diaster response. Now there's loads of stuff to talk about.
Kuruni

Kyuzo Aoi wrote:This is a sad day for Japan, but the Japanese are known to never giving up. If they rebuilt after the Tokyo earthquake of 1923, after two nuclear strikes in World War II, after the Kobe earthquake in 1995, they will do so again.
Unlike 1995 Kobe Earthquake, however, Japan is currently stuggle with economic recession (and the word NEET wasn't exist back then - now it's Japan's big problem). They will recover, but it might be not as fast.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Mu La Flaga

One could always say though as cold as it almost seems.
There will be lots of people in construction jobs kept busy for a LONG time.

In that area alone at least.
reeoyuy

About economic impact
The widespread damage from Japan's deadly earthquake and tsunami will create economic and financial aftershocks for dozens of specific companies and industries. But the overall impact on Japan's beleaguered economy may be relatively small.

Ironically, the influx of insurance claims to repair and rebuild could even provide a short-term economic stimulus.
On other news, the magnitude of Friday earthquake is raised to 9.0, from what I heard on NHK World a while ago.
The Big Zabowski

Looks like Fukushima Plant 1, Reactor #3 had it's reactor building explode. The containment vessel appears to not have suffered damage but those trying to secure it were inside when it went off.

Cameras were on the plant when it occured.

It also appears the aftershocks have caused Shinmoedake to pop it's cork again after January's eruption.

If this is all a big coincidence.. it's sickening.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
iKhaotic

My heart goes out to Japan and everyone that was affected by this and I hope they will recover well. This was a serious and major disaster and the damage is immense. It's just insane that something like this can happen so suddenly and without warning. Hopefully all goes well with the nuclear plants. I also hope they continue to find survivors.

If I were able to, I'd gladly fly over there and volunteer my time and help in any way I can, whether it be cleaning up, rationing out food/water to the shelters, or controlling the destruction.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~