Ep. 003: The Wheel of Time

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 003: The Wheel of Time

Chaos Theater Ep. 003 - "The Wheel of Time"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 97 mins, 47 sec. (1:37:47) 44.8 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:13:05

02. Discussion: "The Wheel of Time"
Runtime: 0:13:24 - 1:04:30

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:04:48 - 1:37:47

Chaos Theater is back, and things go just as planned this time... until they don't! As you'll hear in the episode, we had to record the show twice due to a software hiccup. Fun times, folks. This time we discuss Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson's fantasy epic, The Wheel of Time. Aside from that, you'll get our two regular segments, What We've Been Up To and the Mailbag. Next time, Chaos Theater starts doubling up with two episodes per month. We'll head into the final frontier of animation with Gundamn's Soul Bro Ryu to discuss Star Trek: The Animated Series.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
Wheel in the Sky from Infinity by Journey

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Wingnut

Re: Episode 003: The Wheel of Time

No replies yet? I guess not that many people around here have read the books. I haven't either, but the other regular stuff on the podcast is worth the download for me. The mailbag always proves to be interesting on one level or another if nothing else.
I suspect more will tune in for the Star Trek segment next time. I sure will as it's been a long time since I saw The Animated Series. I'm talking about Blockbuster rentals on VHS long time ago.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Mu La Flaga

I agree with Wingnut I am usually more so interested in the mailbag, this episode and last I was just drift through the first segment.

The Earthbound one was pretty interesting.
So maybe should rotate between a game, movie, series, per episode of Chaos Theatre?
Just keep mixed up all that stuff.

You guys have some interesting stuff on your shelves, not so much anime things kind of.
And I didn't say posters, but oh well, have to learn to refine the wordings on my questions.

Also I look forward to the upcoming stuff for Soul Bro on Chaos Theatre and Austin vs Soul Bro in a future epside of convention stuff.

Thanks for the questions btw, though brief.
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:So maybe should rotate between a game, movie, series, per episode of Chaos Theatre?
Haven't you noticed that that's exactly what we've been doing?
yazi88

As much as it pains me to say it, I have to agree that J-RPG's have stagnated in the past couple of years. At least the new Tales game for the PS3 (or rather the enhanced port of the wii version) of Tales Of Graces F is finally coming out in America.

The few J-RPG developers I even follow now aside from Atlus (which is given) are:

NIS-Disgaea series

Gust-Ar Tonelico series and Atelier series

TriAce-Star Ocean series, Valkyrie Profile series (just first 2 games 3rd one was garbage), Resonance of Fate (loved this game)

Compile Heart- Record of Agarest War series (heavily inspired by Record of Lodoss War anime with dating sim elements and prequel coming out soon in US with sequel later on), Cross Edge (fun cliche cross over game)

By the way what do you guys think of the PS3 game Demon's Souls? Cause this game is really popular both in Japan and in the US.
Mu La Flaga

Chris wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:So maybe should rotate between a game, movie, series, per episode of Chaos Theatre?
Haven't you noticed that that's exactly what we've been doing?
Well it's only episode 3, so nope admittingly, sorry :P
Has to be a reason you got such a huge drop though in downloads.
VentZX

I didn't comment on the last episode, but I did listen to it, and I'm one of those that you mentioned might see One Piece in a different light. As for this episode, I haven't read any of these novels, but they do seem interesting based on how you both described them. Definitely feel you on long running series ending, though.

As for the Q&A section, regarding the Japanese games you guys own, Pedro I realize you didn't mention Valkyria Chronicles as being on your shelf. RECTIFY THAT. I mean, talk about a JRPG that is innovative.

As for FFX, while I did enjoy the battle system, everything else about it was merely ok. The plot was ok, and the voice acting was tolerable at best. I think it's funny that in the same episode Chris mentions he's been marathoning Ratchet and Clank, FFX comes up as Ratchet and Tidus are voiced by the same guy. Anyway, XII was a much better game, for sure, but it had a few minor faults. For one, the various side quests were such a distraction I lost track of the plot and was WAY overpowered by the final boss fight. That's a minor complaint though, since I was having fun through out.
jabman025

great show guys, It was a fun listen

As for you varying downloads, just relax a little your first episode was a little over downloaded and your second was a litte under downloaded. This episode should be somewhere in between. Its only 3 episodes so give it some time.

By the way both you sounded kind of pissed off for most of the episode. Paticularly you Chris. But I'm sure that was because this was the second attempt at said episode.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Chris
Administrator

jabman025 wrote:As for you varying downloads, just relax a little your first episode was a little over downloaded and your second was a litte under downloaded. This episode should be somewhere in between. Its only 3 episodes so give it some time.
No offense, but characterizing an 82 percent drop as a "little under downloaded" is to ignore the facts. For whatever the reason, it's not normal so please don't try to say that it is.
jabman025

Chris wrote:No offense, but characterizing an 82 percent drop as a "little under downloaded" is to ignore the facts. For whatever the reason, it's not normal so please don't try to say that it is.
perhaps, but its only been 3 episodes to date, not a huge sample size so you can't make any conclusions yet. Just keep up the good work and I'm sure things will improve.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
phillosmaster

I've been interested in starting the Wheel Of Time series, but the number of books you need to read to get caught up at this point is intimidating. Also part of it was fear that I might get invested in a story that might not ever actually see a conclusion. I was very invested in King's Dark Tower series for years and I remember being very worried that he might not ever finish the damned story considering how often he would put off releasing a new entry in the series. Knowing that The Wheel Of Time series will be brought to a conclusion now does make me want to give it a shot.

I guess Chris and I are the same age because I graduated high school that same year. You feeling like an old man yet Chris?
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Destiny_Gundam

Does it matter how we download the episode or does it have to be on iTunes or something? I always use the download link provided in the thread.

This applies to Gundamn as well, but if the episode covers a topic I particularly have no interest in (like this ep), I still download and listen to the opening and closing segments at least.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

No matter which way the episode is downloaded, they all point back to the same feed (which is where the download links here come from).
snoops619

Great show, as always. Not read these books and frankly probably never will as much as I'd (now) love to but I figure you should know my appreciation all the same. In fact, the only thing in this show that I can comment on really is your beer choice. Guinness is a fine choice so well done there. I'd recommend getting your hands on some Newcastle Brown Ale or, should you get the opportunity, some Butty Bach.

Thanks as always.

*EDIT* Oh, and well done on the marathon of Ratchet and Clank Chris. They are worth it, aren't they?
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Chris
Administrator

Newcastle is always appreciated around these parts. The first time we recorded the episode, we were also proclaiming our love for Guinness 250 and lamenting that it was only a limited run brew.
sakurangel

since i here this episode i have a great interest on reading the series wheel of time sood fantastic thanks for another great episode and continue the hobby about CT alive
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
Soul Bro Ryu

Mu La Flaga wrote:I agree with Wingnut I am usually more so interested in the mailbag, this episode and last I was just drift through the first segment.
Really? To each their own, but when I listen to a podcast, I usually listen to the whole show, save for anything that might spoil something I plan on watching/reading/playing first. If I do skip a segment due to that, I make a note of it and peep it later once I've been exposed to the subject matter. Other then that, when it comes to things I initially have no interest in, if the people who's opinion I trust and respect are talking about it, I'll listen to that discussion to see if they can convince me to check it out.

Chaos Theater is compelling podcasting. Pedro & Chris could be talking about sandpaper and still manage to keep me riveted.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:I agree with Wingnut I am usually more so interested in the mailbag, this episode and last I was just drift through the first segment.
Really? To each their own, but when I listen to a podcast, I usually listen to the whole show, save for anything that might spoil something I plan on watching/reading/playing first. If I do skip a segment due to that, I make a note of it and peep it later once I've been exposed to the subject matter. Other then that, when it comes to things I initially have no interest in, if the people who's opinion I trust and respect are talking about it, I'll listen to that discussion to see if they can convince me to check it out.

Chaos Theater is compelling podcasting. Pedro & Chris could be talking about sandpaper and still manage to keep me riveted.
Well to phrase it better.
I listen to the whole episode but for me this time the mailbag caught my interest more so.
Where as say episode 1 of Chaos Theater the whole episode was entertaining to me.

Simillar deal applies to Gundamn also.
I give the whole thing a listen first time, but afterwards I just skip the parts not interested in.

I mean just to put it out there anyway, I mean One Piece isn't my kind of Shounen series.
Simillar applies to Naruto, but when it comes to Dragonaball/Z/GT that one was one which always stuck with me, despite some of it getting a little boring later namely in GT.
hotlimit

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote: Other then that, when it comes to things I initially have no interest in, if the people who's opinion I trust and respect are talking about it, I'll listen to that discussion to see if they can convince me to check it out.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it, and that's why I check out these podcasts when I get the chance. It's like, there's a bunch of media (books, games, cartoons) that I'm probably never going to partake in, so what's better than to hear two people who are really passionate about the subject talk about it at length? It's like a free pass into a culture that I'm otherwise ignorant about. In a few rare cases, the discussion actually gets me to check it out myself (G Gundam for example).

------------------------

Anyway, great episode guys. I loved the Wheel of Time discussion, especially hearing how Brandon Sanderson took over after the original author died, and how it did and didn't affect the books.

As for the mailbag question where you guys went off on JRPGs for being stuck in the past, I really wish you guys could play the latest game in the Metal Max series that came out on the Nintendo DS last year. It very literally is Fallout meets Earthbound, with all the quirkiness and twisted humor of the Mother games, and the open-world post-apocalyptic setting of Fallout.

I think the real problem with innovative Japanese developers is that they just don't have the money to put out big titles for the current consoles... and the developers that do have huge budgets (SquareEnix) are mired by their fickle fanbases. To me, FFXIII was their response to all of the complaints people had about FFXII (too non-linear, not story driven, MMO-style battles, etc.), and somehow in addressing all those complaints they managed to alienate all but the most apologetic of fans.
SolidSpidr

Great podcast guys, I'm an old Wheel of Time Fan and it was the reason I subscribed the podcast. I actually have The Gathering Storm sitting on my desk waiting to be read but It's been so long since I read Knife of Dreams that I decided to go back to Book 1 and reread the series all over again. I underestimated how big an undertaking this is for a busy college student. Mat's always been one of my favorite characters, his story, trials and with the dice always rolling. Not to mention that amulet of his; every Aes Sedai that learns of it tries to find a way to get it away from him.

The Wheel of Time series is really an amazing bunch of books, to date its the only series that's gotten me out of bed at 2 in the morning to write my own story.

The mailbag was also pretty interesting and I have gotta agree on the JRPGs stagnating and reusing the same old formula. They all try and add their own gimmick to try and stand out from the rest of the pack but at the core they're the same old song and dance.
“The school of the undefeated East!”
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
“Look! The East is burning red!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!