Gundam Wing EW Model Kits

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Xiphas

Gundam Wing EW Model Kits

With Gundam Wing undergoing a revival lately I kinda got a renewed interest in the mecha from Wing. I was wondering how these kits hold up to the test of time, particularly the 1/144 Sandrock Custom, Nataku, Serpent, and Tallgeese III. I think I might be spoiled by the 1/144 HG 00 series though...
Raiden

Re: Gundam Wing EW Model Kits

Think its better that you buy the MG's or wait to see if they make a HGAC line cause the kits that came out during the show's run did not survive the test of time imho. Polycap joints are terrible and the quality of the plastic wasn't too great.

The EW 1/144's were better than the TV versions but not by alot cause they had the same polycaps joints and hands as well. In the end, none of the old kits from back then hold up or even come close to rivaling the new kits today or even the first few HGUC's...imo again.
Dark Duel

The plastic is decent quality, though not as good as current kits. But be prepared to spend an enormous amount of time painting - the only one I've assembled, Tallgeese III, is completely molded in a single color.
Moreover, seam lines are very obvious on the assembled kit, much moreso than on modern kits.
On the flip side, assembly takes far less time than a more detailed modern kit.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SNT1

IF your standard is the HG 00 series, prepare to be disappointed.

The 1/144 Wing TV kits were already widely considered as crap in all aspects when they came out, so don't expect too much there.

1/144 HG EW kits however were actually pretty good when they came out 13-14 years ago; joints were comparatively sturdy, proportions are pretty good, had those cool action pieces to replicate movie scenes, although they still required a fair bit of painting. But if you compare it to HG 00 and HGUCs and even some of the older SEED HGs they still lag behind in terms of playability. If you're a customer who likes to paint and just leave models in one pose, these guys aren't bad pickups at all. (Note that the Tallgeese III is just a remold of the crappy TV 1/144 line with extra parts for the III's weapons so it's the crappiest of the EW line)

Good thing about the 1/144 Wing kits is that they're very, very cheap compared to the 1/144 00 kits and HGUCs, which on average is double/triple the price.

In terms of 1/100s, the HG TV 1/100 line was alright, but clearly dated. The EW 1/100 I would say has stood the test of time---they can still mingle with the newest MGs, have MG-like proportions. But saying that, Bandai's cranking up Wing MGs at a very surprising rate, so I would go for MGs if money's no object.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Xiphas

Lets say my standard is now the old SEED kits, like the Strike or Aegis HG's. Am I still gonna be very disappointed? Will the polycap joints get loose after a while? Am I better off getting the MSIA's if I want the EW mechs in that scale (or around there)?
Dark Duel

Yes, no, and in my opinion yes because even though MSiAs have always suffered from chronically oversized weapons, making them difficult to pose properly, IMO they're much less headache-inducing because they come pre-colored correctly.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SNT1

If you're not going to paint EW HG's, stick to action figures (MSiA/Damashi)
If you'll play with them, stick to action figures

EW HGs are just not up to par with newer HGs (post-2000) in terms of playability and color-correctness, like I said.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

In terms of 1/100s, the HG TV 1/100 line was alright, but clearly dated. The EW 1/100 I would say has stood the test of time---they can still mingle with the newest MGs, have MG-like proportions. But saying that, Bandai's cranking up Wing MGs at a very surprising rate, so I would go for MGs if money's no object.
If there's one thing that I disagree on is the durability of the 1/100 EW's. My Deathscythe H.C.'s proportions and posability were good, but with it's looseness and back weight, it was a wonder I could pose it.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
SNT1

But the Deathscythe Hell EW's design is naturally going to have that problem. The other 6 are still pretty good (Wing Zero has massive wings but can use them as stands)
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
1-4-4

I think the EW 1:144 HG kits are actually quite good. I'd recommend them.

At the time they were released ('98) HG's were just starting to get really good. This was just a year before HGUC started, and a little before the Turn-A line as well. A few aspects of the kits aren't up to HGUC standards (like no joint covers for the polycaps, and the hands are vinyl parts) but the quality of the sculpt is generally quite good.

I built a Wing Zero Custom 1:144 - my main complaints with the kit was that a few details weren't quite refined enough. (V-fin was kind of thick and blobby, and the feathers on the wings were very thick...) But you'd find these kinds of issues on most HGs, really.