What's Your Current Anime? Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ShadowCell

What's Your Current Anime? Mk III

What it says on the tin. Don't be jerks.
reeoyuy

Re: What's Your Current Anime? Mk III

First of all, to make my post here relevant: I just watched Afro Samurai yesterday. I...don't know what to say about the plot. Between samurai terminator and Darth Vader with Teddy bear mask (or helm?), at least it has amount of violence and swear words as I expected.

Anyway,
TetraVaal wrote:
There are people who actually LIKE the designs from Code Geass? All of them are pretty much hideous aside from the purple one with the face pain, the name escapes me at the moment. But yeah, other than that they all mirror each other and I hate how they don't walk or run, but rely on those rollerblade things.
Just because you hate it doesn't mean that nobody likes it. You may not understand why people like it, but well, they have their reasons. Just like how you love RX-0, very likely there are people who hate it for their own reasons.

As for me, I like some of them. Some of them are ridiculous and over the top but I like concept of KMF as a whole. I don't understand why people dislike landspinner (those rollerblade things) so much. It's a neat feature that sets KMF apart from other mech. I'm impressed as early as the 1st episode when I saw a KMF (was it Viletta's?) scaled up the wall using landspinner ; I realized in an instant that landspinner has a lot of potential. Also, if you ever follow "what if mecha were real" arguments you'll know that gliding/skating over the terrain is much more effective and viable way than just walking or running. Just like blind_dead_mcjones said, it's not much different than Dom.
TetraVaal wrote:Since I don't know enough about the titles of each Code Geass mech, I'll just say that the Lancelot, Zero's brother's mech, as well as the others that appeared in R2 all seemed to mirror each other a little too much. I didn't find enough contrast between all of the mechs in that show, at least not enough for me to feel like any of the designs were fresh or interesting.
Uh, that's just like you saying you never watched Gundam and then claimed that the designs mirror each other since Gundam looks like GM, or Zaku II looks like Zaku I. Sure, Vincent look a lot like Lancelot since it's based on it, but unrelated KMF has a distinctive style on their own. Just so you know, even control system of Lancelot and Guren is entirely different, with former has traditional seated cockpit and latter has motorcycle style cockpit.
TetraVaal wrote: I'll tell you one thing, after how disappointed I was with Wing, which only took me seven episodes to wave the white flag, and the disappointment SEED is turning out to be, both F91 and Victory Gundam better to turn out to be at least MIDLY entertaining.
I think Lightningcount can explain this better than me, but I'll tell you, Wing is progressively getting better later on. Especially that episode 7 is actually the beginning of the actual plot. Things getting more interesting after that.
TetraVaal

Just because you hate it doesn't mean that nobody likes it.
I was jesting, because the user I was replying to made it sound like everyone enjoyed the mech designs in Geass.
Uh, that's just like you saying you never watched Gundam and then claimed that the designs mirror each other since Gundam looks like GM, or Zaku II looks like Zaku I.
...Most of the Gundams and mobile suits in general DO like alike, which is why I prefer the RX-0, Turn A, and Turn X compared to all of the other mobile suits. However, even with the mobile suits having collective similarities, I find the designs of Gundam in general, to be far more appealing than anything that appears in Geass.
Sure, Vincent look a lot like Lancelot since it's based on it, but unrelated KMF has a distinctive style on their own. Just so you know, even control system of Lancelot and Guren is entirely different, with former has traditional seated cockpit and latter has motorcycle style cockpit.
The interiors may be different, but the designs of the Knightmare frames in general, still retain the same aesthetic, and for me, that is only a terrible thing.
I think Lightningcount can explain this better than me, but I'll tell you, Wing is progressively getting better later on. Especially that episode 7 is actually the beginning of the actual plot. Things getting more interesting after that.
If episode 7 is the beginning of the actual plot, then it didn't do a very good job of holding my interest. Honestly, I don't know what's worse for me... the first half of ZZ Gundam or the seven episodes I spent watching Gundam Wing.
reeoyuy

TetraVaal wrote: ...Most of the Gundams and mobile suits in general DO like alike, which is why I prefer the RX-0, Turn A, and Turn X compared to all of the other mobile suits. However, even with the mobile suits having collective similarities, I find the designs of Gundam in general, to be far more appealing than anything that appears in Geass.
You can't expect all mecha from different series to have similar aesthetics with Mobile Suit, but I understand your preference.
TetraVaal wrote: The interiors may be different, but the designs of the Knightmare frames in general, still retain the same aesthetic, and for me, that is only a terrible thing.
Well, they're all build with the same concept, for same purpose. And that's the same with Gundam too. Just like how Main Battle Tanks of today have very similar aesthetics. I can't see how blocky Glasgow has similar aesthetic with curvy Vincent despite they are made by the same faction. I think you shouldn't made such judgement until you saw all KMF out there. You may not believe that Gawain is a KMF simply because it's huge, have no visible rollerskating thingy, and move around by flying like Psycho Gundam (and firing huge beam just like Psyco)
TetraVaal wrote: If episode 7 is the beginning of the actual plot, then it didn't do a very good job of holding my interest. Honestly, I don't know what's worse for me... the first half of ZZ Gundam or the seven episodes I spent watching Gundam Wing.
ZZ is much harder to tolerate than Wing. If you're tough enough to handle ZZ, you shouldn't raise white flag only after 7 episode.
DuelGundam2099

Are you serious?
Yes and I wish I wasn't.
I can now see why all of these people complained about SEED constantly using recap clips and then SEED Desinty relying on looped animation, if this turns out to be true.
It's only started and judging by how far you've gotten into SEED and not liking it at this point chances are you'll be another Anti-Destiny guy. Just saying.
Honestly, I don't know what's worse for me... the first half of ZZ Gundam or the seven episodes I spent watching Gundam Wing.
Give eps 8, 9, and 10 a shot. If they don't work than hey, at least you tried.
Uh, that's just like you saying you never watched Gundam and then claimed that the designs mirror each other since Gundam looks like GM, or Zaku II looks like Zaku I. Sure, Vincent look a lot like Lancelot since it's based on it, but unrelated KMF has a distinctive style on their own. Just so you know, even control system of Lancelot and Guren is entirely different, with former has traditional seated cockpit and latter has motorcycle style cockpit.
Sorry Reeyuy and no offense, but I'm with TetraVaal here. Not all of them, but most of the knightmare frames look generic with the colors being the only thing telling them apart. Without the main site separating them I would have never known the difference between most of the mechs in the series. There's also Guren, ugh, my least favorite anime mech ever piloted by my least favorite anime character ever. So wanna post my Velku picture here.
reeoyuy

DuelGundam2099 wrote: Sorry Reeyuy and no offense, but I'm with TetraVaal here. Not all of them, but most of the knightmare frames look generic with the colors being the only thing telling them apart. Without the main site separating them I would have never known the difference between most of the mechs in the series. There's also Guren, ugh, my least favorite anime mech ever piloted by my least favorite anime character ever. So wanna post my Velku picture here.
Considering that Code Geass story only cover few years and not over decades like UC Gundam, it's normal for KMFs to have generic look. It also add some realism IMO; I'm using modern tanks comparison again. You don't have to create unique design, copying successful and battle proven design is better choice than pursuing original aesthetics. Hero/named characters unique custom KMFs don't follow that rules however, but just like you said there's only few of them, not most. Can't blame you for hating Guren, it's a hit or miss design (same thing can be said to whole KMF concept).
TetraVaal

Yeah, the Guren is hideous... I think the only mecha I liked from Geass was the one Zero operated towards the end, the second version of the Gawain. I can't think of the name, though.

I'll admit that the new Knightmare concept for the upcoming Code Geass project looks beast, though. A significant upgrade on an artistic level from the original series.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I finished the Kilimanjaro arc of Zeta Gundam and I came out pretty disappointed. Did they really have to do an exact repeat of Lalah?? And it was strange that Kamille barely reacted to it. He hasn't done it yet, at least.

I sampled a random smattering over the weekend with my friend who has netflix. Here are some quick impressions:

-I wanted to watch Burst Angel because I thought the character designer is a good artist, but as I was watching the show the characters just looked kinda trashy. I know it's the beginning, but absolutely nothing is happening, and I really don't care for any of the characters. I heard it was going to be mediocre ahead of time. I should have stopped myself.

-Samurai 7 looks really cool, but the pacing is strangely slow and little is ever accomplished in a single episode. I dig the swordplay and mechs though. Great music.

-I know it's not supposed to come off this way, but Aquarion is hilarious and creepy. Asides from the one lady with short hair, the characters all really grate my nerves. Apollo is so psychotic and retarded that he's almost adorable. Aww, look, he's trying to communicate his feelings. Who the hell attacks people with a knife while they're out souvenir shopping, anyway? I love the music in this show. And orgasms are funny.

-Saw a bit of Blassreiter, but I only caught the end so I can't comment much. I totally called that guy who got tentacled by the wires merging with the computer....

-The art in the 1st ep of Shigurui: Death Frenzy was jaw dropping. My friend didn't care for the show because the first ep was slow, but I definitely want to watch the rest of it. I think all of it's available on YT. I was weirded out by the guy who entered that stance only to look like he succumbed to an acute case of bone-itis. O_O

-Darker than Black and Speed Grapher seemed interesting. Didn't care for the bad buys in Grapher though.

There was probably more, but I can't remember them all. Keep in mind, I was grinding through Monster Hunter Tri as I was sampling all of these. Gotta get that Rust Lance....

Tetra, it's hard for me sometimes also, but I really do enjoy shows more when I look for what they do well and see how they're set apart from what I've seen before.

Like I advised a while ago, Wing is really, really different from UC Gundam in execution. If you still want to try it out later, look for what it does well. If you don't like something, try to figure out why the show does things the way it does. You know, like the Gundams being really hard to destroy because they're literally trying to take down an army with a single MS. That's like trying to take down the US military by yourself with a single badass jet fighter. Hard to do on your own, right?

You seem to emphasize art/animation, choreography, and mechanical design as you watch a show. Wing will not immediately appear to be strong in these categories, but it does have its assets.

The Gundams fit very well into their combat roles (unlike SEED where they have weapons only to look cool and can't use them properly). All the grunt units have a special charm to them; they were designed by Katoki and Ishigaki, and we don't get to see them design grunts often. The grunt battles use a lot of stock footage because they're not especially important enough. The duels are fantastic.

Personally, I'm a whore for swordplay and characters that are talented and mature. I also adore projects that can tell their stories in a developed and concise manner. These are some of the better strengths that Wing has over the other Gundam series, and I suppose it's also the same reason I don't like 00 as much as everyone else.

Wing has its strengths, but I wouldn't see them either if I wasn't looking for them. The show takes some patience, so don't poop on it too much before you finish it, haha. I'm sorry about all of us trying to convince you that it's good. It's just that everyone talking to you has rewatched Wing like a dozen times because we adore it.

Anyway, I really appreciate your presence here because reading your thoughts as you've gone through all the shows has been interesting. I hope you'll take the time to write further about your progress.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
TetraVaal

Just finished episode 17 of SEED, far and away the best episode of the series so far. Kira punks Ssigh (who looks like Ringo Starr, btw) AND took his woman. Oh, and that blonde chick from the resistance wants him, too (sorry, her name already escaped my mind). I still hope that Kira doesn't stick with Fllay, though... I'm glad the writers came up with a character to use sexual intercourse in help with manipulation of a character she blames for her Father's death. If only the show's story would take as daring chances... then we'd have something.
LightningCount

TetraVaal wrote:I'll tell you one thing, after how disappointed I was with Wing, which only took me seven episodes to wave the white flag, and the disappointment SEED is turning out to be, both F91 and Victory Gundam better to turn out to be at least MILDLY entertaining.
Dang. That’s cold. I’m sorry, but I can’t believe you sat through ZZ and just discarded Wing after 7 episodes. (The only reason you "liked" ZZ more was because it loosely connected with Unicorn and other UC stories, if I recall). I personally found Wing to be in the same aesthetic family as Gundam X (a spiritual cousin), albeit Gundam X having slower pacing, less depth of events, and less dynamic choreography overall. I think when it comes down to it, you don’t want any series to stray too far from the UC world, which is your prerogative and right.

To be honest, though, while I like parts of UC, it’s pretty loosely connected series to series, especially when it comes to the latter timeline pieces of F-91 and V. In addition, it’s usually clumsy/afterthought human interactions and its sometimes sensationalist/sci-fi theater/haphazard mecha designs (Zakrello, Baund Doc, I’m looking at you), don’t make it the most appealing to me as a whole.

Speaking of F-91 and V, I think you’ll like them a bit more because they’re UC; but because they’re removed from the Zeon conflict that dominates more than half of UC in a repetitive WWII mindset, and because they try to replicate that in their own ways, I think you might have some troubles with them still... (I haven't made a final judgment about Victory yet. From the few episodes I've seen, it does some good things and some boring, cliche things). F-91 is stilted by its length, but it's grown on me as a bare bones Gundam piece that tries to start things in UC over again and manages to have some standout moments and characters). I saw, and somewhat regrettably own, G-Saviour, UC's far future story, which I think has been removed from canon, and that didn't give me much enjoyment...
TetraVaal wrote:If [Wing] episode 7 is the beginning of the actual plot, then it didn't do a very good job of holding my interest. Honestly, I don't know what's worse for me... the first half of ZZ Gundam or the seven episodes I spent watching Gundam Wing
As 'yuy said, the first 7 episodes set up the main story. A lot has already happened, in fact, in just 7 episodes; you blink in this series, you miss a key point. But, in a simplified nutshell, the five G-pilots were sent independently to earth by different people with roughly the same competitive objective: cripple the United Earth Sphere Alliance’s (UESA's) ability to impose their military/political will on the colonies any further than they already have. To do so, the most important targets would be those related to the military apparatus, OZ (Organization of the Zodiac), which secretly reside in the UESA’s “Specials” corps, who funnel in the newest mobile suit technology to the UESA.

However, the violent surgical strikes by the Gundams have made the war-weary and peace-leaning General Noventa of the UESA decide to convince the fellow top brass of the UESA to open up dialogues with the colonies to stop the attacks and move toward a demilitarization in space—an unexpected turn that the unaware G-pilots would probably approve of. However, in episode 7, OZ’s "leader," Trieze, tricks the G-pilots into thinking the UESA leadership is him and his OZ commanders. Heero ends up mistakenly killing Noventa and the only people who might bring about a diplomatic solution to the G-pilots destructive missions. It's erased any progress Heero and the others have made. Worse, it’s left the people they really wanted to eliminate, OZ, in a position to grab more power within the UESA under the guise of the "Specials," and lead it toward whatever means they wish. And all this I’ve told you, that’s just the setup established in the first 7 episodes after one twist--and I’m not even mentioning the major and/or subtle personal developments with any of the characters during that time. This series is just getting started...

Wing’s defining aspect is its ability to mix lots of creative action with a complex plot of political and philosophical arguments. You can watch this series over and over again, seeing striking mobile suit techniques unique to Wing, while still dissecting the intentions and real/theoretical philosophies of the characters and historical events that drive the story.
TetraVaal wrote:I just didn't think it was fair for the guy to cite Unicorn as the only frame of reference, but I think he did that because he knows how much I love Unicorn.
That was part of it (a sort of math equation like, if A then B). But the other reason I brought up SEED’s setup in relation to Unicorn’s was not because of the boy-meets-mecha cliché of many Gundams (especially UC), but because of the fact that Kira is a student engineer with student friends, just like Banagher is. As far as I know, Amuro and Kamille were just mecha hobbyists, they weren't in that same class setting. F-91 might have some similar parallels as well, but I won’t talk about that. I just wanted to point out that parallel. The fact that Kira is a student engineer who meets a mysterious girl who’s important to the plot prior to getting a Gundam.

And I guess I wanted to point out why the variations that Banagher had from Amuro or Kamille were kind of covered by Kira already, which made it all the more repetitive to me. A lot of episode 1 of Unicorn reminded me of SEED eps 1-3 and the first quarter of F-91.
TetraVaal wrote:In fact, I went and revisited a post you made in the Unicorn thread about how the "masked" villain concept has worn itself thin, and I agree... but I also think that another poster in that thread made an EXCELLENT point, that the masked rival concept feels so beatened to death, due to Sunrise feeling the need to give the AU shows it's own variation of Char...It's a bit unfortunate that all of these villains are basically unimaginative rip-offs of probably the BEST villain in all of mecha anime
"Some" are, yes. Not all. Otherwise, Jamil and Lancerow of X should have bothered you, as they were inspired by Char (yet really weren't like him). Look, with the masked characters, Char was a great character in the 0079 TV series because of how much yin and yang there was to him (slightly less ruthless in the 0079 Movies, from what I saw/recall). But as he went along, he became sort of “I’m Mr. Cool or Mr. Self-Righteous.” While he was the first of his kind in Gundam (not sci-fi), he really is an overhyped character, who made his name in 0079, and then just coasted on that fame in Zeta and CCA (and maybe even Unicorn in a sense).

In the meantime, some of the AU “masked men” have equaled Char on their own terms, even if the basic cliché of the idea is often annoying, particularly at first glance. The problem gets to be when it’s a crutch—like when 00 turned Graham into the masked man for no good reason, all but ruining his rather enjoyable character. SEED, as a reimagining of 0079, has Rau out there at first to remind old viewers of Char…yet, right away this guy has an established rivalry with a military peer, Mu (not the Gundam's teen pilot)…and the further things go along, the more this Rau guy separates himself from all of the masked men before or since. Whether he has a mask or not, this guy, on his own, turns out to be a fantastic character.

And speaking for Wing’s Lightning Count himself, despite what was done in "Mobile Fighter: G-Gundam" on the masked front, Zechs Merquise was one of the first characters to purposefully bring the Char look back in a modern way as a part of bringing Gundam back into a "war" setting following what was done with the well-crafted tournament/conspiracy/adventure of G. However, Zechs’ own story also varies from Char in key ways, and I’d say that is highlighted by Zechs’ personality--defined by a sense of honor, shame, and grit versus Char’s pompous scheming and cunning.

All that said, going forward, I don't want masked men to appear in Gundam for a while. CE finished the last viable exploration of the concept for me. 00 was the first series where I said to myself, "Ok, no more." :lol: Graham has officially done it to death. And then Full Frontal had to come along in animation...:cry: Enough, I say!
TetraVaal wrote:SEED designs remind me of Geass...I hated the character and mecha designs for Geass...I even made a comment to a friend of mine that Kira is over taking Shinji from Evangelion, as the weakest protagonist I've seen for a mecha anime
Code Geass’ art style bothers me, too. I don’t love its mecha, but I don’t hate them. I will say I think the roller idea makes sense, and I don’t have an issue with it; however, I’d already seen it done in Blue Gender (which isn’t a series I care much for, either).

Oh, I went nuts about SEED’s style for the longest time—it just annoyed the heck out of me (the colors, the bubbly look, etc). But within the last 3 or 4 years, I’ve learned begrudgingly that I have to adjust my mindset to enjoy what is good about a given series. And when I did that, I found a number of things I really liked about SEED, even in spite of the overbearing clip episodes/loops (some which have important info/new scenes mixed in). I even found that the background art—the use of character and detail in them—is often more “alive” than the more modern 00 series.

Also, I was in your shoes with 00. I was so caught up with what it wasn’t, that I didn’t enjoy its positive points much until seeing it a second time through (though the second season of 00 didn’t improve, anyway :|). But regarding Destiny, if you don’t get some enjoyment out of SEED by its end, you probably will hate Destiny. While Destiny does some things different than SEED, and has a very strong/fun start, it has many of the same flaws as SEED, only magnified. Even so, I've managed to get some enjoyment out of it. You might eventually like Stargazer—or part of it, though, as it’s a very different take on the CE universe that takes place during a grim incident in Destiny.

By the way, Shinji makes Evangelion almost unwatchable sometimes, so there’s no way that I find Kira as bad. :wink: Kira is simply a modern teenager reacting to his situation who is uncertain of his role. Shinji’s selfish depression and whining are in a whole other league of bad leads.
TetraVaal wrote:Paraphrased for time: vast superiority of UC
From my experience, I’ll just say that outside of primarily 0080 and 08th Team, I feel that the AU series (IE: G, X, Wing) do a better job with consistently bringing forth “humanity”—the pure, organic emotions of characters—as opposed to tacking them on and stumbling through them. (IE: Beltorchika and Amuro’s random interactions, the ridiculous mess of Quess x Char x Gyunei x Hathaway, Newtype instant love, Nina and Kou, etc).

Anyway, I have to read Seraphic's related post that I missed before mine in full, but I did see that he said something I echo: it's interesting reading your reactions to Gundam as you go through it.
TetraVaal wrote:Just finished episode 17 of SEED, far and away the best episode of the series so far...If only the show's story would take as daring chances...then we'd have something.
Hey, I said the series gets better. (Not that it won't have hiccups). You are in the parts where it just "starts" to pick up a more consistent momentum with more complexities built in from the situation as seen on Earth. And I heard you don't like the BaCues, but they make for some unique and fitting battles for this arc. I like the various conversations with Sahib during this arc on the local layout, etc. Also, just want to make sure you remember that this blonde girl, Cagalli, is the same mysterious girl Kira ran into in episode one at the Heliopolis colony who was upset upon seeing the Gundams there.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Mu La Flaga

Spoiler
I need to come to this thread more often, oh wait, I know why I didn't.
Since when did this become character or mecha design bashing thread mark 3? :P

I mean really Tetra, some of your complaints are valid, some are not.
And I will berate you if you never finish all of your Gundam series, SEED does pick up more later on when they get to Orb and leave Orb, it goes it's own direction.

On characters, I like Mu and Rau, Rau is one of the more interesting villians of CE by a long shot, his motivation for things later on can be kind of clear, but it's sort of dropped on you in the last 5-6 episodes.

Also I shall say this on some stuff.
Andrew Waltfield, you will probably like him and the Zoid rejects/Buccues, since you will get plenty of gound comat and sometimes with vehicles for a bit.

I assure you also the girl you saw earlier on Heliopolis, Cagalli, she becomes awesome later on.
She develops, she grows, her character gets trashed in Destiny though.

Murrue becomes an interesting and kind of morally driven character, especially when following orders in some cases ends up being suicidal.

Flay, she does actually change a bit later on and does want to genuinely make up with Kira.
Personally I would have prefered Kira and Flay again, instead of Mrs perfect Lacus Clyne.

Also the reason she becomes so bad mentally was in part due to the death of her father or did you not notice that detail?

As for designs, well that is Kunio Okawara for you :P

If you don't like Kira much, you may like Athrun more and Shinn in Destiny is a polar opposite to Kira.
Far less of a crying whinger, ect
Since part of Shinn's anger and all is what drives him from his firsthand experience.
But again like other things and characters, so much of that goes downhill in the last 1/3rd of Destiny and I say last 1/3rd as in after episode 34, just after an incident or two.

Not to mention on a point, which by the end of SEED Kira is more so focused on ending the war and not killing people when he can avoid it.
In Destiny he becomes more so blindly loyal to following Lacus or protecting her, to the point also he has no development and seems very robotic in his responses in general.

Not to mention their idea of solving problems with Orb or stop them from fighting is to interfer and fire on both ZAFT and the Earth Alliance and Orb ships.

Needless to say this paints a BIG target on the ArchAngel later on.

So I would say to SEED, see it all the way through.
I would also say the same thing about Wing and Destiny, I've seen all those series.
I mean I wasn't keen much on Eureka Seven but I saw it all the way through before forming a final opinion on it.

As for Code Geass and Knightmares I can see where it comes from it's a refreshing change.
But the Gawain/Gavain doesn't have wheels.

And your thinking of the Shinkiro.
I liked the Tristan and Mordred for something different.

Just my thoughts.
Hope Lightning Count backs me up on some points here.
Edited to cover my bases for Tetra Val :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
LightningCount

@Tetra, watch out for spoilers above in Mu's previous post!
Mu La Flaga wrote:...Hope Lightning Count backs me up on some points here.
Mu, I agree with many of the things you said, but maybe don't spoil 3/4s of SEED and/or Destiny for Tetra. Can you put some of those, like specific character's specific developments/fates and relationship endings in spoiler tags? Just a thought. I think I said enough in my previous post (which I don't think was read yet), so I'll button my lips for the moment. PS: Mu can "make the impossible possible" :)

...And on the note of other anime I'm watching: FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood continues to be an interesting variation of its animated forbearer. And I'm getting itchy to go back and see the second half of Xam'd. I got invested in the characters, even if the action wasn't where I wanted it to be. I've been watching random DVD episodes of Gundam Wing and SEED here and there; I've got one Wing episode in mind I want to watch again soon (ep.34) for a certain conversation and battle sequence.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
reeoyuy

I suggest Tetra make a new thread titled "I'm doing marathon of all Gundam series and this is my opinion on them" or something like that, to keep this thread simple. And we can have discussion all we want there.

Just one thing though
It does

Anyway, just watched one episode of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei again after a long time. Man, I miss this show.
Mu La Flaga

reeoyuy wrote:I suggest Tetra make a new thread titled "I'm doing marathon of all Gundam series and this is my opinion on them" or something like that, to keep this thread simple. And we can have discussion all we want there.

Just one thing though
It does

Anyway, just watched one episode of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei again after a long time. Man, I miss this show.
Actually, the thing is Shadowcell directed him here when Tetraval used to do just that, so that is going around in circles again :P
reeoyuy

Eh, if that's the case nevermind then.
wielder

Just wanted to say, simply for the record, that I preferred the Guren to the Lancelot, Gawain to Shinkirou and, generally speaking, most of the mecha designs from the first season to those of Code Geass R2. In addition, just as I don't have much of a problem with many Gundam designs sharing a common lineage, I appreciated the fact that you could see a certain progression throughout different KMF models, even if they weren't necessarily "great" from a purely aesthetic level. In that sense, my least favorite mecha designs were certainly those used by the Knights of the Round. I didn't have any real issues with the rest of them.

Moving on...

The only anime I've been watching lately is One Piece, of all things, thanks to the recent endorsement from Chris & Pedro in Chaos Theater. After 36 episodes, I'd say the Arlong arc is definitely where things are starting to get a lot more interesting, but the earlier ones were still acceptable as far as character introductions are concerned. While the initial arcs tend to feel slow, the show benefits from being quite easy to marathon and having some good cliffhangers here and there.

It's a little ironic but nevertheless welcome to see Nami getting the most development though. As far as fights go, other than Mihawk's brief duel only Don Krieg seemed to pose any real threat despite being a generic villain at heart. Buggy had the whole killer clown thing going on, for better or for worse, and Kuro ended up being a bit underwhelming. It's still early to judge Arlong but the series has at least attempted to make him look like the worst bastard of the bunch (and for a good reason, mind you!).
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Dark Duel

wielder wrote:my least favorite mecha designs were certainly those used by the Knights of the Round. I didn't have any real issues with the rest of them.
Oh GOD yes. EWWW.
I liked the Tristan in spite of its eye-stabbing paint scheme because I'm a sucker for variable types, and that twin spear/scythe/whatever-the-devil-it-is he used was pretty cool (I also like giant robots with melee weapons that aren't swords). I HATED the Tristan Divider and all the other Rounds machines, ESPECIALLY the Percival.

I actually prefer the Vincent to the Lancelot, but other than that I concur that S1 designs were, by and large, better than in S2(Except the first Guren Flight Type and the Sutherland Sieg). And I plain hate both the Albion and SEITEN. Not only are they hideous(Well at least the latter makes a pretty cool entrance, but it's still ugly), they're moronically overpowered.
I'm currently rewatching Season 2 in JP/subbed (since the last few times I watched it dubbed, and Nunally's dub voice makes me want to carve my own eardrums out), and to be honest I'd forgotten how intensely I disliked Suzaku, Nina, Schneizel and Diethard.
OTOH, Xingke's a bona-fide badass even if his Knightmare looks almost as fruity as any of the Rounds and he takes a level in moron during the season finale.
(I'm currently watching through the Chinese Federation arc)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
wielder

Dark Duel wrote: And I plain hate both the Albion and SEITEN. Not only are they hideous(Well at least the latter makes a pretty cool entrance, but it's still ugly), they're moronically overpowered.
Of course they are, but on the bright side they don't have too much screen time either. They're present in less than half the show to begin with and I actually liked that underneath all the fancy gadgets the basic Lancelot and Guren functions remain, by and large, as illustrated during the last episode of the series. So that made me reevaluate them a little, if mostly because of their design lineage.

I do share your pain as far as Nunnally's dub voice is concerned though. The English language cast was quite competent overall and generally improved over time but she truly sticks out like a sore thumb.
OTOH, Xingke's a bona-fide badass even if his Knightmare looks almost as fruity as any of the Rounds
Yeah...though it's mostly a poor color scheme issue, in my opinion, so I wouldn't mind seeing a repainted Shen-Hu. It's also too bad Xingke didn't really get much of a chance to shine outside of his own arc.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
TetraVaal

I finally concluded the Macross Plus OAV series tonight and wow... I really don't know if there's a better Macross series than this one. I'm still reeling from how much imagination was put into this product, from the story, characters, and music, to the art, animation and every other technical category. This series requires and immediate rewatch.
Mu La Flaga

No response to my post or Lightining Count's post Tetra? :P