Ep. 001: Earthbound

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Wingnut

Re: Episode 001: Earthbound

jcncasval76 wrote:Chris, is this show on iTunes yet?
He mentioned in the podcast itself that you need 5 episodes to be listed. So the answer is no.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
jcncasval76

Wingnut wrote:
jcncasval76 wrote:Chris, is this show on iTunes yet?
He mentioned in the podcast itself that you need 5 episodes to be listed. So the answer is no.
thanks, i'll pick that up in a bit.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Quiddity

Just checked out this episode over the weekend and enjoyed it. Despite being a big SNES RPG aficianado when I was growing up, I actually never played Earthbound and your podcast has inspired me to play it for the first time. Haven't gotten too far, but I'm enjoying it so far. Features a lot of unique things (that you mentioned), such as getting to skip fighting enemies much weaker than you that I love. Looking forward to future episodes!
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
snoops619

Fantastic show guys! I'm loving the laid back, alcohol-fuelled discussions.
It seems I am a bit too young for this episode, as I was only born in 1992 and never owned a SNES (though I did end up procuring a NES from my uncle). However, upon listening to this episode, I delved into "the grey area" and started playing this game. It has been rather enjoyable so far though fairly tough at the beginning as you warned.
Thanks for doing the show and I look forward to the future.

Also, could you tell us what beer is fuelling you at the beginning of each ep? Just for the sake of interest. XD
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
TheGoose

Really enjoyed the new podcast, guys. I, too, also enjoyed the down-to-earth dicussion between you guys. Thanks for the recommendatons concerning shojo. Along with the ones you gave me, I'll be watching the classic show, Rose of Versailles, soon too.

Also, thanks for answering my question about Tezuka. I'm a huge Osamu Tezuka fan and I think he's one of the best magnaka (and best comic writers and artists in general) ever. He did tons of work (from what I've heard at least 700 series of books) and did many types of genres. When or if you guys decide to pick up one of his books up, I'd start with Phoenix. It's the work that many fans and Tezuka, himself, think is his life's work. It has many of the themes and philosophy he uses in many of his works. The stories often jump between the past and future with many different types of genre being explored in the stories. You can pick up any volume of the series since the stories of Phoenix don't have much to do with one another.

Another series to check out would be Buddha. It's a highly embellished, but excellent biography on the religious figure, Buddha. Even though it deals with religion, it has tons of action and adventure in it. Also, even though it deals with Buddhism it never hits you over the head with it's messages and Tezuka isn't afraid to show questionable behavior from Buddha, himself.

Even though Tezuka created Astro Boy and did many manga for children, he did make a lot of good adult manga. Books like MW, Ode to Kirihito, and Ayako focus on morally gray characters and social problems like the American occupation of Japan, corruption of the Japanese Medical Association, and the concealment of the truth by government bodies.

Besides Astro Boy, I think his other famous chracter Black Jack would be good. It tells the stories of a renegade disfigured doctor named Black Jack who performs many amazing surguries. If you enjoy medical dramas like House, you'll enjoy this series alot.
Arorn0086

Hey guys just finish listening to first episode and moving onto the second, and i have to say, while all i know of Earthbound/Mother is what was in smash bros i really enjoyed the episode. on a side note, have ether of you heard of another Atlas game series called Shin Megami Tensai Persona (specificly 3 and 4)? I belive you would enjoy it, due to it being modern setting (the two most recent set in 2009 and 2011), and has bizzare segments (example in 4, one level is a 8-bit style dungon, and another is a large japense onsen). and while it doesnt break the fourth wall, it does work with your emotions (though not as bright sounding as how pedro said earthbound is), has the overworld enemy "im behind you when i approach you so i get to attack you first" mechanic, and while it only has one town, its over the course of the year so events change and things people say change as t ime goes on. It does have some final fantasy feal, but at the same time, despite being set in japan it does have some similarities to how you guys described earthbound, kinda in the middle ground. anyway sorry for a belayed review and keep up the good work! look forward to when you do the fairy tail segment, and now on to listening about One Peice.
"Lockon Stratos, targeted and firing!" - Neil/Lyle Dylandy, Gundam Meister

"Free will is an Illusion"

The Scotsman from Wales

PSN/XBOX: Arorn