MSG Movie Trilogy DVDs - Audio?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
vmsns

MSG Movie Trilogy DVDs - Audio?

Hey everyone,

I've been a long time fan of Gundam since I was about 10 years old. For a while there, I kind of fell out of love with the series because of other things going on in my life (college, jobs, ect...) but recently, I've got the Gundam kick again.

While home at my parents house last weekend, I was looking through some of my old stuff and I came across dozens upon dozens of old Gundam VHS tapes that I had collected over the years (MSG, Zeta, X, CCA, G Gundam, and a few others). At the moment, I'd like to rewatch the original MSG Movie Trilogy, but preferably not on low-quality VHS tapes. So, I started looking online for the DVD release of the MSG Trilogy. Unfortunately, it seems like the only available DVDs have remastered audio and completely different music and sound effects? Like I said, I've been kind of out-of-the-loop with Gundam, so I was quite shocked when I learned about this. Why the hell would Bandai/Tomino redo all the audio? I though the audio and dub for the original VHS tapes I had was great (outside of the obvious gunDAM pronunciations during the 1st movie). And why not offer another audio track for the original material?

Are there any plans to release the original MSG Movie Trilogy on DVD with the original audio, or am I just stuck with the remastered crap for now?

Oh, and is the DVD release of the MSG TV series remastered as well? I personally prefer the movies over the series, but I wouldn't mind having the series either if the original audio is intact.

Thanks
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Re: MSG Movie Trilogy DVDs - Audio?

I'm not sure about the movies, but the DVD release of the series only had the English dub that aired in America and is now pretty hard to come by.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Ciel

Unfortunately the DVD release of the movie trilogy has all redone audio. The classic gundam beam rifle sound? Gone is that awesome Bazhoom! sound... Now in place of it is a generic sci-fi sound.

So yes, all sound effects have been changed. As has the music except for a few pieces.

I'd rather watch the VHS with the better audio myself. And I highly doubt the DVD Trilogy would ever get re released with the original audio. Seeing as U.C. Gundam is unpopular in the west.

Also, they didn't include the English dub in the DVD release of the movies either.
mcred23

vmsns wrote:Are there any plans to release the original MSG Movie Trilogy on DVD with the original audio, or am I just stuck with the remastered crap for now?
None at the moment that anyone knows about, so don't hold your breath on it happening. They didn't do it back in the day (Probably for cost reasons) and Gundam isn't nearly as popular today. If you want to watch the movies on DVD, you'll have to deal with the subtitles, altered sounds, and changed music.
vmsns wrote:Oh, and is the DVD release of the MSG TV series remastered as well? I personally prefer the movies over the series, but I wouldn't mind having the series either if the original audio is intact.
No. The original TV series release on DVD includes all of the original sound effects and music, and on the first two DVDs (Which cover the first ten episodes), it even has the original Japanese opening (All the rest use the Toonami one). However, they are dub only, so that may be an issue if you don't like the dub. The other problem is finding them all nowadays can be somewhat tricky, as I think they have been out of print for a while.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
1-4-4

Personally I think the remastered Japanese audio is quite good. I think it lends a nice feeling of intensity to the space battles, which in the original Japanese track were a little music-heavy sometimes. Still, it's only recently that I've been able to hear the original track. (I got a copy of the movies with all the audio tracks via illegitimate means...)
Vifam7

If you want the Movie Trilogy with the original audio, you have to buy the Japanese DVDs.

These:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3579

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3580

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3581

Worth every penny IMO. I don't know what possessed Tomino to do a George Lucas - ie. fool around with music placement, changing the sound effects, and redubbing the voice actors. None of it was an improvement IMHO. Thankfully somebody at Bandai Video in Japan got the message and released the above 3 (which was actually first released as a box set but is now released as singles).
iKhaotic

if you ever come across the US released 0079 DVDs, you should definitely pick them up. they're VERY rare and hard to find now.

*hugs my complete 0079 collection which includes the 3 originally US released movie trilogy DVDs*
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
1-4-4

iKhaotic wrote:if you ever come across the US released 0079 DVDs, you should definitely pick them up. they're VERY rare and hard to find now.
You're talking about the TV series release, right?

No OP, no Japanese audio, no episode 15... It's really not a release I've ever felt good about supporting. If they ever make a decent US release of the show, I'll buy that.

(EDIT): Well, Episode 15 is trash, so it's kind of no big loss there - but still, I'd rather have it included than not.
iKhaotic

1-4-4 wrote:
iKhaotic wrote:if you ever come across the US released 0079 DVDs, you should definitely pick them up. they're VERY rare and hard to find now.
You're talking about the TV series release, right?
yeah, the DVDs that have the Toonami rips on them. 10 volumes total. they've been discontinued for at least 4-5 years now.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
JEFFPIATT

They did announce that a bilingual reissue of the original gundam is comeing out this year with the newer Japanese audio track as a anime legends set. no actual date yet. the reasion we never got the old Japanese audio track was the lack of a DVD set there of the TV series so we only got our 2.0 audio soundtrack. the new version is getting the new 5.1 audio from the recent japan DVD set and more than likely is keeping the 2.0 English audio.