Listener Participation: Tim Eldred

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Chris
Administrator

Listener Participation: Tim Eldred

Ok Gundamn crew, we need your help with something. In episode 72 we'll be featuring an interview with VOTOMS expert Tim Eldred. We'd like to take some listener questions during the segment, so if you have any questions for Tim about VOTOMS or Star Blazers, post them here.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
TheGoose

Re: Listener Participation: Tim Eldred

1. Back in episode 59, the Gundamn crew took a look at the infamous anime, M.D. Geist. During the segment, it was mentioned that Tim Elred did a comic book adapation of the OVA. My question is how Tim Eldred got the job to do the adapation, how he went about making the adapation, and any colorful tales about working with Central Park Media.

2. What are some of Tim Eldred's favorite anime and manga outside of the mecha genre?

Thanks for taking the time to appear on Gundamn, Tim! :D
Last edited by TheGoose on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Destiny_Gundam

How did you go about writing the VOTOMS field guide that came with the ammo tin set? What were your sources? How long did it take to put it all together?

How do you feel about the recent revival of the VOTOMS franchise? Have you seen any of the new titles? What did you think of them?

Why was only one episode of the TV series dubbed?

Over all, what is your favourite installment in the franchise (ex. arc or OVA)?

I went through the TV series and counted all the ATs Chirico went through and came up with 23, each mecha lasting an average of 1.8 episodes. His longest surviving AT was his 3rd Marshydog which lasted from episodes 18 to 27. Because of that, I'm extremely fond of the Marshydog. What's your favourite AT and why?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
TakaTahuNuva

!!!! Woah! You guys need to stop reading my mind; just earlier today I've been thinking how awesome it would be if Tim Eldred was on your show (since he's been a guest on other podcasts in the past)

1) First off, Tim, I've read that in your 2010 "Yamatour", you got to meet and interview anime legend Leiji Matsumoto. How was it like meeting him?

2) Do you think it's likely that Yamato Rebirth will be licensed and released officially outside of Japan?

3) Was the live-action Yamato production really worth it? I obviously haven't seen it yet, but it just doesn't strike me as something that could work well with real actors and real set-pieces. Would you like to see a sequel, or do you think the franchise is best done using good ol' animation?

And some VOTOMs-related questions;

4) At the end of Red Shoulder Documents: Roots of Treachery, Pailsen is shocked to see Chirico still alive, at which point Chirico says something to him which the audience can't hear. Has it ever been revealed what exactly Chirico said?

5) In the prologue to Last Red Shoulder we see Chirico and his Red Shoulder buddies being given new transfer orders. However, this is set a few months after he already left the Red Shoulder battalion, as per Roots of Treachery and Pailsen Files. Maybe you know the answer to this inconsistency?

As a final note, just wanted to say that I have huuuuuge appreciation for the work you've done, especially with your StarBlazers.com site, so keep it up man!
ohhhh snap
Mu La Flaga

Hello Tim.
I have some small general questions for VOTOMs for you.

1.Do you have any particular standout episodes or OVAs of VOTOMs?(for a character related episode or story development episode?)
2.Do you think VOTOMs is the best depiction of real robot or do you think it could push the envelope further?

That is all I have to ask.
snoops619

Pretty standard fare in terms of questions from me as I haven't seen VOTOMS (sorry Tim). My question is "what is your favourite mecha of all time ever?" and "What is your anime guilty pleasure? (a show you're not proud of loving to watch but you do anyway)".

Thanks!
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Kuraudo

Oh wow, I'm going to be looking forward to this interview.

My question would be what does Mr Eldred feel is going on over at Sunrise, especially with regards to the production Votoms: Finder. It seems like it's a pretty different take on the Votoms ip in order to rope in new fans; if that is indeed the case, does he think it's a good move? If bad, what are his fears for the direction of the franchise?

I can only hope it *does* get new fans into the franchise, but without departing too much from what makes Votoms, Votoms: AT's being glorified tin cans/Mobile Coffins.

One last one!

What's Mr Eldred's take on the direction the ova's have taken the franchise since the TV show aired? Especially the recent ones; I'm interested in what he thinks about the way AT battles are portrayed, specifically.
SwordBits

I was wondering if you could maybe enlighten us about two of the Votoms Side Stories, Blue Knight Berserga and Equal Ganisis (Sorry if I'm butchering the title here). I've been able to get a tiny bit of info over the years about Berserga but the later is all but a mystery to me. All I know is that it ran in Newtype during the 90s and that's about it, so it would be great to get some info from an expert. Thanks in advance!
Chris
Administrator

Episode is about to start recording, so closing this thread for submissions.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his