strike freedom 1/60

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
AdamusKane

strike freedom 1/60

my new modeling project is to acquire a strike freedom 1/60 scale. i am currently aware of 2 types. the perfect grade (costing anywhere near 300 usd) and the lightning edition for around 100 - 150 usd.

my question is if the PG is really worth the extra. is it that much better?? or is the lightning ok. my purpose is to proxy it for table top gaming and to have a model of my favorite gundam (flame me later over seed).

does anyone know the exact differences between the two??

i am not averse to spending the 300 but it will take alot longer to get.

thanks in advance

-Kane
Dark Duel

Re: strike freedom 1/60

dalong.net has reviews of both, if you want to take a look:
1/60 Lightning Edition: http://dalong.net/review/seed/le1/le1_i.htm
Perfect Grade: http://dalong.net/review/pg/p13/p13_i.htm

The following two images are especially relevant because they compare the two side-by-side:
Front
Back

I do not own either, but a friend of mine in Houston owned the LE, and I have seen the PG for myself. I would personally NOT recommend the extra expense, for two reasons
1. The Strike Freedom, like many CE models especially in GSD, is chronically back-heavy. The problem is significantly exacerbated with the PG, whose wings are so heavy that they are known to snap off at the joint holding them to the back if not handled with extreme caution.
2. Visually they look little different - at least IMO not different enough to warrant the extra expense. I would also add that I feel the proportions on the less expensive Lightning Edition, especially the torso, are both far more aesthetically-pleasing and much truer to the Strike Freedom as it appears in the animation than the PG.

Other than better articulation, the only difference of note between the two is the source of the PG Strike Freedom's primary flaw - the aforementioned wings: There's a gimmick that's added on purely for gimmickry's sake that allows the DRAGOON units to separate from the wings themselves by a few degrees while still docked. I think it looks ridiculous, but again that's just me. As far as pointless gimmicks go, I like the LE's lit internal frame much better.

The TL;DR version: Buy the older Lightning Edition one. It's just as nice-looking, and a lot cheaper.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
AdamusKane

thanks much helpful. then my second question (aside from asking any other opinions on the strike freedom pg would be what PG models are the best?? preferably something from the newer series but i enjoy most of the gundams anyway.

thanks again

-Kane

p.s. the comparison pictures gave me a 403 error.
Dark Duel

Avoid any PG with a large backpack*. I'd recommend Astray Red Frame
(The exception would be the Strike, because its backpack is removable, and I've heard good things about it overall)

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
AdamusKane

yeah the images gave me a 403 error. any way of reposting
Dark Duel

Try copypasting the URL into your browser address bar - usually works for me.
If not, here:
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/9287/p13136.jpg
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/3562/p13137.jpg

AdamusKane

sorry to keep bothering but which is which??? my guess is that the PG is on the right but i might be wrong. also they are slightly different scales from the look of it.
Dark Duel

It's no bother at all.
The PG is indeed the one on the right with the longer rifles and gold highlights all over the place. If you look closely at the front photo, you can see that the torso is leaning back a bit because of the weight of the wings.

On a related note, I find hilarious that the SF's entire inner frame is consistently molded in gold plastic, yet the V-Fin NEVER is, and is always flat yellow.

AdamusKane

so is the PG just a bit taller or is that just how the picture looks??
Majin Tenshi

Dark Duel wrote:On a related note, I find hilarious that the SF's entire inner frame is consistently molded in gold plastic, yet the V-Fin NEVER is, and is always flat yellow.
Doing a quick search, it looks to me like that the v-fin is consistently a different texture from the frame.
zabimustdie

Here is a video talking about the PG Strike Freedom. It seems worth the hefty price tag for the extra flare. http://www.hobbylink.tv/gunpla-pg-strik ... on-winners

If you don't have the money yet, and really want to build a it, go cheaper. The price of the PG probably won't go down much any time soon.
"Where there is no death, there is life." - Ghost in Chronopolis, Chrono Cross