The Power Rangers/Super Sentai/Tokusatsu thread

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Raiden

Re: The Power Rangers/Super Sentai/Tokusatsu thread

Vent Noir wrote:
Raiden wrote:PR just barely escapes the grasp of death when it just needs to go. I wasn't too thrilled about Samurai cause it just felt like it was shoehorning alot stuff from MMPR like Bulk...i really don't understand why people went gaga when they heard he was coming back. The slapshtick comedy wasn't a reason why kids watched it back in the day, it was just for the fighting and you guys know it :D.
I don't think PR "needs to go" any more than Super Sentai does.
Meh without Sentai, Saban wouldn't even have come up with the basic idea. I thought it was weird how his name is in a bigger font size during the credits while Toei's is underneath his in a smaller one. Will never know if it implies something, but yea. Also its pretty dumb how they had to have all of them say their names in the OP, kids can read for christ sakes.

If anything i give em credit for improved blending of the footage. Wasn't feeling that Megaranger mode too much but the set was nice. Other than that it played out like Shinkenger Ep 3 with bad jokes and puns on both sides, and overall an extremely lighter tone.
Sume Gai

So episode 2 of Samurai was pretty good.

It was another Character episode, this time for Kevin and Mia. We learn about Kevins Dream of being an Olympic swimmer and Mia's simple desire to live a normal life. We also see the Rangers use their weapons, I particularly like Reds Enormous sword.

I didn't mention this last time but I Like the villains motivation this season. They don't really want to destroy but rather, cause grief. It's a good set-up for an episodic show that can, in the right hands, lead to some very interesting episodic plots.

On other Toku I've been watching Kamen Rider OOO, It's a fun series and I like the Metal Motif. Eji is a likable protagonist and I have high hopes for Anke's Character development. This season's female side-kick is less annoying than Ws but also somewhat more bland as a result. The second Rider, Birth has a fun mix of Gasaphon and construction equipment motifs. Date Isn't a Bad Character but I an hoping Goto earns the Suit before all is said and done. I can't Mention OOO with out a short shout to Kougami AKA Cakeboss; his antics manage to blend hilarious and Creepy in interesting ways.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! MAHQ Toku thrread.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Vent Noir

Just had a thought... the last 3 seasons, Toei isn't making things easy for Saban to adapt, are they?

Shinkenger: Very Japanese
Goseiger: Religeous themes
Gokaiger: The main characters' ambiguous morality, and all the pre-Zyuranger Super Sentai.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

Re: Power Rangers Samurai

Vent Noir wrote:I've heard some people saying it's actually episode 3. No idea why Saban/Nick would do that.

BTW, my statement about "a good Super Sentai show doesn't necessarily mean a good Power Rangers series" has a corollary that a bad Super Sentai show doesn't necessarily mean a bad Power Rangers series. OhRanger is infamous as the show that almost killed Super Sentai, but Power Rangers Zeo was pretty good. Gingaman was pretty average, but Lost Galaxy is one of the best PR seasons.
I wasn't much a fan of Zeo in some aspects, mostly the Zord designs.
Turbo had it a little better or more interesting again.

Lost Galaxy I fully agree with though, one of my favs.
Hey Vent what is your opinion on Power Rangers In Space?
To me that is one of the best Power Rangers series.
Vent Noir

Mu La Flaga wrote:I wasn't much a fan of Zeo in some aspects, mostly the Zord designs.

Definitely one of the best, if not the best season.

And it also illustrates another point: A Power Rangers series doesn't necessarily need to be faithful to its Super Sentai counterpart in order to be a good show. It had little in common with Megaranger, but that didn't stop it from becoming a classic.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Kenji

Wait, wasn't In Space based on Megaranger? That's usually cited as the favorite season (y'know, the one that wraps up the MMPR continuity), so all of the sudden love for Lost Galaxy (or, Gingaman) has been confusing me.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Vent Noir

Kenji wrote:Wait, wasn't In Space based on Megaranger? That's usually cited as the favorite season (y'know, the one that wraps up the MMPR continuity), so all of the sudden love for Lost Galaxy (or, Gingaman) has been confusing me.
In Space was based on Megaranger in that it used its footage and costumes, but plotwise the two had little in common.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Sume Gai

Vent Noir wrote: Shinkenger: Very Japanese
Goseiger: Religeous themes
Gokaiger: The main characters' ambiguous morality, and all the pre-Zyuranger Super Sentai.
I like this "difficulty" to be completely honest. It means Saban has to work harder to adapt these particular series and can be more creative. Two of Power Rangers' best seasons, In Space and Lost Galaxy, were very different from their original counterparts.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

Mu La Flaga

Vent Noir wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:I wasn't much a fan of Zeo in some aspects, mostly the Zord designs.

Definitely one of the best, if not the best season.

And it also illustrates another point: A Power Rangers series doesn't necessarily need to be faithful to its Super Sentai counterpart in order to be a good show. It had little in common with Megaranger, but that didn't stop it from becoming a classic.
Let's see, Darkonda, Ecliptor, Astronema and the brainwashing stuff/identity thing, death of Zordon, the final few episodes, the awesome Zords line up, the Psycho Rangers and the first Red Ranger's super Powered form.

Those are the main reasons which spring to mind instantly for In Space being so awesome.
Mu La Flaga

Hey Vent a new question for you.
What is your opinion of the Bettleborgs series when they came around?
I personally didn't mind them, some of the ideas and stuff were interesting.
Other times they almost focused on side plots or chasing around the house way too often.

I also found it interesting for most of the series, they just fought on the ground or in their battle vehicles.

No Zords or things so much.
Vent Noir

Never really watched Beetleborgs, sorry (unless you count reusing the suits for Forever Red)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Mu La Flaga

I did I watched most of the back in the days of Cheez TV when they used to air and all.
Similliarly I tried to keep up with VR Troopers, another somewhat awesome series.

So just letting that be known for this thread :P
zerogradius

The nostalgia is everywhere in this thread, with mentions of Power Rangers, VVR Troopers and Beetleborgs. I almost feel like starting a Tatooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills discusion going...almost.

Anyway, I'm not really into anything past In Space, maybe Lost Galaxy, but that's it. However, I have an interesting question to pose. As good as In Space was, would it have been better or worse if Tommy, Adam, Rocky, Kat and Tanya were there instead of the cast that replaced them.
Vent Noir

Finally seen the first ep of Gokaiger (I was waiting for the sub). Pretty cool. Captain Marvelous seems to be a Mal Reynolds type who's trying to pretend he doesn't care about people when he actually does.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Mu La Flaga

So since the thread kind of died down let's spark some renewed interest.
Gentlemen, mention your fav Zords and why.

I myself will say this.
Pretty much all of Power Rangers In Space Zords Megazords, simillar deal for Turbo, except the Blue Centurion's standard mode change giant Police Car/Robot, not to mention the dude got reprogrammed once a week :P

I also happen to like the first 2 seasons of MMPR Zords, I liked the Ninjazords too.
But it got kind of silly how powerful the Shogunzords became especially when combined.
Not to mention the Falconzord could combine with them, talk about overpowered.

I shall say Space remmains one of my favs because.
Astro Megazord, they put their base on the line in fights at times, not to mention it could combine with the Delta Megazord, giving it awesome rocket punches and miniguns on the shoulder armor.

Mega Voyager was just plain awesome, not to mention Mega Winger gave it flight/mid season upgrade.

Anyway that is all I've got to say.
Long post.
Sume Gai

Favorite Zords... Quite a quandary... I like most Zords quite a bit, Mainly because combining robots are some of my favorite gimmicks.

My favorite one to say is Supertrain Megazord. Seriously say those words and see if you can stop yourself from grinning, I know I can't.

I really like the aesthetic of the original Zeo Megazord Especiallly the head and Chest area.

Story wise my Favorite is probably the Thunder zords, particularly the White Tiger.

Vent Noir

Astro Megazord's probably my favourite, too.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Mu La Flaga

The Thunderzords themselves were rather awesome with the exception of Tor, not to say the original Dinosaur Megazords weren't any good.

It's just the fight with Rito should have gone down differently, considering how powerful Mega Tigerzord form is on average.

I was thinking they should have taken out at least some of the monsters before going down in that fight.

If anyone is confused by what I mean, I refer to Ninja Quest episodes where they get their new Zords.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilks Waldwika

Dragonzord wins every time, man. This isn't even a contest.
Mu La Flaga

Tell that to Mega Tigerzord, takes down 3 in 1 blow in it's debut and shrugs off energy blasts which took down Thunder Megazord. :P