Mobile suit Grunt Wars (indie pc gundam action game)

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
ydawg314

Mobile suit Grunt Wars (indie pc gundam action game)

As I stated in the a previous post im going to be remaking mobile suit grunt wars. I have been thinking of some fun ideas for the game and it would only take me like a month at most to make so why not?

This game is going to play like the first mobile suit grunt wars but this one is going to be based around a different game style.I dont know if you guys are familar with HON aka Heroes Of Newerth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5WoMSxTxhs), but this game will be somewhat similar to that but also with some major differences. The game will playout like this...

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc69 ... layout.jpg

When you start a match your character will start off in a very basic mobile suit with very basic weapons and abilities as well special call-ins.

You will able to earn points by killing enemy grunt units. With these points you will be able to upgrade your weaponry, buy mobile suits, buy new types of call-ins and upgrade the AI grunts on your team.

The overall goal of the game will be to help your team destroy all the enemy defence towers and eventually dismantle and capture the enemy base. Towers will not be easy to destroy... they will be heavily armed and defended. Expect to die if you charge at one alone.

As you move into enemy territory you will be able to find hidden upgrades.

Some maps will have a third party nuetral bases like an ORB base with mass driver. If your team captures such a base you will be able to get points faster and or unlock more things to purchase with you coins.

the ideas for this game are still very fresh and therefore not set in stone so if you have any suggestions or gripes feel free to post them.
FYI: I will still be working on razas assault bu I am just taking a break which will allow me to come up with more ideas and better technology to develope it...
Last edited by ydawg314 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
ydawg314

Re: Mobile suit Grunt Wars CE: Battlefield Blitz

I have started making the engine and have also come up with some more ideas.

one idea is to allow you to buy with points mercinaries like the Serpents from astray and they can possibly be given orders such as seek out and destroy the other human players or help destroy towers.

Another idea is to make factions which serve only to be hazards in the game. For example you might have the archangle fly in out of nowhere and try and destroy anything that fires forcing you to retreat and find an alternate route. Such a hazard could be triggered if you or your team mates or your Ai grunts destroy too many civilian objects such as a houses.
Battle my brute
AthrunX23s

Dude I know a perfect way to test out the basic gameplay of your idea. In Warcraft III there are downloadable maps called Defense of the Ancients which is like the predecessor of HoN(I think). But it has the same layout and gameplay and can be modified to have custom game models (there are even some maps with Naruto models).
ydawg314

I would do that but im not familiar with the game so I would be hard to program... Also i have little experience with 3d models.

For now im going to stick with the engine im developing now.
Battle my brute
ydawg314

Should this game be about about UC gundam or CE gundam?

I was going to do CE because I know the timeline and ms's better and I feel evolutions are more clear. But it could be interesting to do UC version. I thought about it when I saw the opening intro for the 0081 game.

What do you guys think?
Battle my brute
quasadra

if you are more familiar with SEED universe then please go ahead with it, to minimize errors. it always better to start with those you most familiar. beside, you can always do some palette swap or crossover later.

i dont know anything about programming, so i hope this helps and good luck with the project.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
ydawg314

ok thanks for your input :)
Battle my brute
ydawg314

So right now I have not really started developing actual content for my game because I am still perfecting the engine/graphics/controls. Right now the game can run at 140 fps max while the first grunt wars could only run at like 20-30 (the game will be capped at 60 fps) so yeah I think my programming skillz have improved a little bit since last year :). Just in case you guys didnt know (cus I never explicitly said) this is going to be an online game.

One question I have been stuck on though is how should I make mobile suits available? Should I make it where its like you can select from "hero" mobile suits like strike, duel, aegis etc... like a classic gundam fighting games. The con to this is that there will be less upgrades to get and less options to customize your skills in game.

The other option is to make the main character start off in a grunt mobile suit like a ginn/strike dagger and level your way up in the game. This way all mmobile suits will be unlockable eventually depending on what you do. With this though, Ill make the player able to select a pilot type (melee/range/mid). This means the player will have a certain amount of points to spend on things from their skill type. The con however is that

I prefer this 2nd option but what do you guys think do you have other ideas?

I could actually make it an ingame option like how much money you get to start off with like in advanced wars.

edit: I could also do a create a character thing where you have to go through training to get your stats up and once you do you can customize where your skills go to.
Battle my brute
DAG101

I think I prefer the second option, too.

And I'd say stick with CE, but maybe add in UC suits and characters as bonuses or something. Maybe you need to accomplish some specific bonus goal to unlock UC/AU suits?
Espdude

i like the second option the best as well, maybe with a bit of the "create a pilot" throw in to mix it up a little.
ydawg314

Thanks DAG101 and Espdude ill go with that idea..
Good news btw... I can now release this game also for macs... I dont know if any of you use macs...
Battle my brute
ydawg314

I finished a lot of work on the AI. There will be multiple types of AI players in the game which have uniqe attributes like skill,reflex, emotion and weapon preference. Right now the game can have up to 40 players fighting similtaneously at the same time. A majority of the grunts in the game will start off with relatively no skills and slow reflexes, and fear of close combat but will be given chances to improve. For example every time the AI successfully dodges a bullet they will gain a small increase in reflexes. Also every time the AI goes and repairs itself after gaining damage in battle it will gain a small skill point. AI will have the chance eto become aces and unlock mobile suits for themselves so you'll want to takeout enemy AI units one at a time before they become too tough. AI will be limitedly commandable... for example you can tell them to protect your for a limited amount of time.

Another thing that I have also thought of was to make AI recognize 'Ace' playersb in the game. In the game the player will have a chance to gain titles (like in cod) by completing objectives. One for example... If you slice 20 AI you earn the name 'The Ripper'. When you recieve such names AI will take notice of you more and form plans to evade of attack you based on your reputation. Also along with this you can increase your reputation by having kill streaks. If you dont die and you have like 30 kills the AI will be terrified of you so they will act accordingly (imagine the gundams in gundam wing and how they terrifed oz) they will also notify the rest of the team so other players will know where you are specifically attacking.

If you have any ides post um.
Battle my brute
ydawg314

I am still working on the engine for this game but things are progressing quick.

A feature that will be in this game is the ability to franken mobile suits from spare parts. Im not quite sure how this will come into play yet but im thinking that for different game modes you will be able to do different things.

For example for single player you will be able to collect parts from grunts you destroy and you be able to use your own custom unit which gets better as you progress through the story (think ms from msv). For example by equipping a dagger body with cgue parts you be able to make a mobile suit which has all the all the maneuverability of a cgue with the operating time and power of the dagger.
(If you destroy something like a strike freedom you get the parts)

There will be an online mode where you can vs each other using these creations.

I will also make a multiplayer mode in which you start off with a basic ms before the first round after each round you will gain parts and be able to customize you suit in the garage. I will make doing basic customizations easy but as they get more complex your chances of customization success will go down. for example installing a nuke engine in a ginn will have a very low probability while adding a missile pod will be easy. You will also be able to spend points on upgrading your mechanics (The better your mechanics the better your chances).

As the player you'll have to keep in mind that the more damage you do to a mobile suit = the less parts you get....
Battle my brute
ydawg314

I forgot to post this

Here is a video of my game. Nothing is even close to being done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKoKzqne-U8
Battle my brute
Gatx

Looks pretty good so far. Is it actually keyboard controls for movement?

If you're going for DotA style play though, CE probably fits better than any other Gundam timeline. The main idea of the gameplay is that each side has lines of grunts charging in while the players have vastly superior hero characters. In the SEED universe, no grunts stand any sort of chance against Gundam pilots, with only other Gundams being a match for them, which melds with the PvP aspect of DotA pretty well.

I'd say just picking from various Gundams right from the start, and just leveling them up and gaining skills correct for each unit fits the established DotA formula pretty well. Blitz would have a skill to go invisible, letting it gank for example.
ydawg314

Yes the keyboard controls are wasd with mouse buttons and gestures to shoot and perform attacks

I actually plan to make a small scale gundam wing version of the game first. This will play out the way your suggesting

Youll get to choose from either of the 5 gundams as your hero

However i am still waiting to see if the large scale version of the game will be seed or UC. I want to expand on the upgrade feature more than just unlocking some new moves.

If I do seed i want the play to feel like they are Gai or lowe from msv
Battle my brute
ydawg314

Multiplayer mode is functional!
:mrgreen:
Battle my brute
BlitzkriegOmega

for non-mass production units, what can we expect to see? Will it just be the suits from the animes, or can we expect to see some of the MSV, lke the suits from GS.Astray and Vs Astray? (To be honest, I just want to have a Sword Calamity or a Blue Fram 2nd L...)
ydawg314

Yes depending on which universe i do though...
If i do seed ill add those (you'll also be able to make your own custom suits).
If i do UC ill do those msv

However the first version of the game will not have as much customization other than paint jobs because it will be wing
Battle my brute
BlitzkriegOmega

ydawg314 wrote:Yes depending on which universe i do though...
If i do seed ill add those (you'll also be able to make your own custom suits).
If i do UC ill do those msv

However the first version of the game will not have as much customization other than paint jobs because it will be wing
yeah, since I think there were but 3 kinds of mass production suits...Leo being the most famous...