AoZ: The Traitor to Destiny Mechanics

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Gelgoog Jager

AoZ: The Traitor to Destiny Mechanics

I started this topic to discuss the new designs that are appearing on Advance of Zeta 2.
Most of these designs seems to be using the color scheme of a new unit called the Keraunos squad. This color shceme is very similiar to the standard color scheme of the federation's ground combat forces, such as the ground based units of the original GM C. This seems to point that many of these designs are optimized for ground combat:

New GM C variant:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... 79CMSV.jpg

This unit seems to be a testbed considering the additional parts that the background design is equipped with. It's color scheme is similiar to the Powered GM from 0083.

GM C varaint in Keraunos squad colors:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... raunos.jpg

The main point of interest is the backpack, which is the same one used by the GM Command. This version of the GM Command was designed for colony defense and also has small verniers behind the legs, which were probably the inspiration for the larger ones seen on this new GM C.

GM C Wagtail:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... gtaila.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... gtailb.jpg

The unit seems like a finished design made from the feedback on the orange GM C variant. It has a small shield where it holds two beam sabers, additional to the two already carried on it's shoulders. All these GM variants have guards on their knee armor and the first variants even have guards on their shoulder armor.

New Hi-Zack variant:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... raunos.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... 06Iris.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... 106MSV.jpg

The main differences with the original Hi-Zack seems to be the covered chest vents and somewhat bigger backpack. The first unit has a regualr Hi-Zack's head, but the second and third unit seem to have their "mouth" vents modified in the same fashion as their chest vents. The last unit seems to be a commander unit, and it's decoration seem to be based on a Gelgoog commander Type's head.

Finally a new Zanzibar Variation:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... aunosa.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... aunosb.jpg

In the bottom of the first image you can see the original design of this ship, although I don't know if it's supposed to be a new design or AoZ2's depiction of the original Zanzibar. In either case, we can observe that the Keraunos squad's version ahs been modified from the original design:

-A larger bridge design at the front of the ship
-New arrangement of the rear engines
-New design of the lower wings

The second image also provides a small preview for a new variation: the GM Cannon II Keraunos Squad Type, which is shown equipped with heat blades on it's forearm.

As usual, comments, corrections and specially translations are welcome.
J-Lead

Re: AoZ2: Rebels Against Time Mechanics

Any idea what faction the Keraunos squad belongs to, or when it was rolled out? I don't see markings anywhere...

Addendum; it's worth pointing out that the orange variant sports the space-friendly backpack belonging to the RGM-79GS (not to mention the happenin' GM variant standing behind it is nice and laden with thrusters pointing in just about every direction,) while the blue version features the backpack used by the RGM-79G (and the artwork seems to depict the GM Keraunos Squadron operating in a gravity environment, not to mention they have one of those gravity-defying Zanzibar class carrier.)

So I guess orange = Zero G while Keraunos = Earth/Colony?
Last edited by J-Lead on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
toysdream

I haven't been following this series very closely, but here's a little bit of info based on the text visible in the scans:

The initial RGM-79C variations seem to be rough drafts. I think the new versions published later would override these.

The "GM Type C Keraunos Squad" is a custom machine used by an anti-Titans organization and piloted by Van Asiliaino. It's been customized with junk parts, notably from the GM Command. The "Wagtail" is a further upgrade, made with parts provided by a mysterious sponsor, which are apparently left over from rejected next-generation machines developed for the Federation Forces. In other words, it uses leftover parts from the Gundam Development Project, so this mysterious "sponsor" is obviously Anaheim.

The Keraunos Squad version of the Hizack has extra cooling gear for a longer operating time. It sounds like the "Iris" is a minor modification. No idea if it'll eventually evolve into the "Hizack Variation" published at the beginning of the series, or if this is just another rough draft.

The Keraunos Squad evidently takes its name from its mothership, the Zanzibar-class Keraunos (which means "Thunderbolt" in Greek). Damaged in the Battle of Solomon, it's been repaired and upgraded with the help of the aforementioned "sponsor". Note that the engine nozzles have been moved to the sides, to allow access to the mobile suit hangar via a rear hatch.

-- Mark
yazi88

toysdream wrote:I haven't been following this series very closely, but here's a little bit of info based on the text visible in the scans:

The initial RGM-79C variations seem to be rough drafts. I think the new versions published later would override these.

The "GM Type C Keraunos Squad" is a custom machine used by an anti-Titans organization and piloted by Van Asiliaino. It's been customized with junk parts, notably from the GM Command. The "Wagtail" is a further upgrade, made with parts provided by a mysterious sponsor, which are apparently left over from rejected next-generation machines developed for the Federation Forces. In other words, it uses leftover parts from the Gundam Development Project, so this mysterious "sponsor" is obviously Anaheim.
been repaired and upgraded with the help of the aforementioned "sponsor". Note that the engine nozzles have been moved to the sides, to allow access to the mobile suit hangar via a rear hatch.

-- Mark
So these are early AEUG units? And when does this new AoZ story take place? Around UC 0085 of something?
J-Lead

Some more pages featuring the Keraunos GM Cannon II. It's not like I like you guys or anything. I just happened to have them lying around!

Baka MAHQ...
Chris
Administrator

J-Lead wrote:Baka MAHQ...
'scuse me?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
AmuroNT1

He's pretending to be tsundere.

That GM Cannon is pretty funky. I'm not quite sure of the context on that second pic, with the punting and such.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
flamingtroll

It looks like a cartoon representation of the typical role of each of the machine in a sortie. Iris seems to be the long range spotter/ supporting fire unit. Wagtail would be the melee/dogfighter. The Bendt's GM Cannon II would be the medium range combat/assult unit.
Gundam Enzyklopadist

In other words, it uses leftover parts from the Gundam Development Project
maybe i missed it Mark, but which chapter or mecha profile has this information?

-- Henning
Calubin_175

In other words, it uses leftover parts from the Gundam Development Project, so this mysterious "sponsor" is obviously Anaheim.
For a moment, I thought that it could have been from the damaged Gundam Mk-II Unit 4 or the Next Generation MP Prototype from AOZ. Oh well, I guess my intuition was wrong.
It looks like a cartoon representation of the typical role of each of the machine in a sortie.
The electronic warfare role or sniper seem to replaced the tank role. Dragonar had the D-3, the Thrones had the Drei, and now this publication has something else.
Bazookafied

Gundam Enzyklopadist wrote:
In other words, it uses leftover parts from the Gundam Development Project
maybe i missed it Mark, but which chapter or mecha profile has this information?

-- Henning
I would hazzard a guess that this isn't legitimately printed information, but more of Mark knowing his way around the Gundam block. In the same way that the "mysterious sponsor" could possibly be Anaheim.

The RGC-83 II GM Cannon Keranose Use is used by the Lucian Battalion commander with a special powerplant and equipment. The left arm is obviously geared towards close-range combat. The rifle on it looks like a modified GM Rifle.
toysdream

Yeah, the part about the Gundam Development Project and Anaheim is my own supposition. The "Wagtail" profile text reads as follows:
A drastically improved version of Van's damaged GM Kai, which appeared to have reached its limits in resisting the Titans' Hizack and GM Quel due to the disparity in basic specs. A "sponsor" provided parts from test machines that had been passed over for selection in the Earth Federation Forces' next-generation main machine tryout, and these were forcibly installed in the GM Kai.
Easy enough to connect the dots, but technically this is still supposed to be a mystery.

-- Mark
Bazookafied

Anaheim running a war on both fronts... that's a major point in Zeta to begin with. The original AoZ focused on test machines for the Titans with parts sent from Anaheim. AoZ 2 looks to be looking at the other side of the coin. It looks like this Keraunos Squad is a hush-hush place for them to start.
Gelgoog Jager

toysdream wrote:The Keraunos Squad evidently takes its name from its mothership, the Zanzibar-class Keraunos (which means "Thunderbolt" in Greek). Damaged in the Battle of Solomon, it's been repaired and upgraded with the help of the aforementioned "sponsor". Note that the engine nozzles have been moved to the sides, to allow access to the mobile suit hangar via a rear hatch.

-- Mark
The rear hatch is a feature previously seen on the Lili Marleen. Maybe Cima's ship was also upgraded by Anaheim. that would explain the higher firepower it packs compared to other Zanziabr class ships, not to mention the MS catapults.

I'm still confused on whether Keraunos is a better equipped group of Zeon remnants or an early resistance group prior to the AEUG and Karaba.

Also, considering the involvement of Anaheim and the Gundam Development Project, anyone else hopes that AoZ2 could provide an opportunity for the Gerbera Tetra Kai to finally appear?
radioactive28

Gelgoog Jager wrote:Also, considering the involvement of Anaheim and the Gundam Development Project, anyone else hopes that AoZ2 could provide an opportunity for the Gerbera Tetra Kai to finally appear?
That'd be nice. The Wagtail's upgraded bits already look like some variant of the GP01Fb parts. They could also explore possible options for the GP series which were eventually discarded.
Bazookafied

Gelgoog Jager wrote:I'm still confused on whether Keraunos is a better equipped group of Zeon remnants or an early resistance group prior to the AEUG and Karaba.
From what I can tell, they're some kinda AEUG. I could've sworn I spotted the AEUG logo on one of their jackets.
Gundam Enzyklopadist

From what I can tell, they're some kinda AEUG.
a terrorist group led by Volker Merckx and former Zeon Forces soldier
this is from Deacon, so Keraunos is not directly AEUG.
I could've sworn I spotted the AEUG logo on one of their jackets.
can you tell us where?

Could it be that you confounded it with Karaba since Danica McGuire, one of the main cast wears a jacket of them.
Here is a picture of her in the print version of Chapter 3 Dengeki Hobby Magazine 01-2011 issue.
http://img271.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... 22_2lo.jpg

-- Henning
Bazookafied

Bah... that's what it was! Thanks for clearing that up!
J-Lead

Gundam Enzyklopadist wrote:
Could it be that you confounded it with Karaba since Danica McGuire, one of the main cast wears a jacket of them.
Here is a picture of her in the print version of Chapter 3 Dengeki Hobby Magazine 01-2011 issue.
http://img271.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... 22_2lo.jpg

-- Henning
I think that's just a Federation-issue casual jacket. You see Amuro wearing one even before he joins Karaba. Besides, I don't think Karaba has any formal uniform, and since it's really just a branch-off of the Federation in the first place, whenever they do wear any faction-based attire, it's almost always Federation-issue.

And from what I'm gathering, the current time frame of the story seems to be UC 0085, am I correct?
mcred23

That isn't the AEUG logo anyway, it's one that IIRC is another used by the Earth Federation, although exactly what or why I don't remember (Maybe one they went to during the Gryps War era, rather than the more commonly seen anchor-like one?).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')