Ep. 070 - The Dialogues Have Come

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Re: Ep. 070 - The Dialogues Have Come

And you spell like a two year old.

It's p-o-l-i-t-i-c-i-a-n.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

Since when did politics have to do with any of this?
Besides is that the best you could come up with on short notice? :P
You are the ill informed newscaster even if got the article right in front of you :P
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote:Since when did politics have to do with any of this?
You are the ill informed newscaster even if got the article right in front of you :P
I was making fun of Jabman's spelling, that's all.

I went to the Larry King school of journalism, so I need no preparation.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:Since when did politics have to do with any of this?
I was making fun of Jabman's spelling, that's all.

I went to the Larry King school of journalism, so I need no preparation.
Well it helps if you use the quotes to avoid confusion.

And Jabman has something to answer for now at least. :P
tehprognoob

About the dastardly manipulators:

HOW COULD YOU EVER FORGET???

Even if you don't like NGE...

http://www.wisemouseboy.com/gallery2/d/ ... framed.jpg
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

FordR

Another most entertaining podcast, thanks for that.

Your reviews did actually make me go see the movie, I mean afterall, how could I miss the first time aliens appear in gundam?

That being said, I believe SoulBro makes a comment that is actually in error, unless this is addressed in the epilogue which I didn't stay for after the scene concerning Shenberg.

SoulBro states that he was watching for Andrei and was happy when he died. I actually don't think he did, as in the scene where his MS gets sliced in half by Allelujah clearly shows Andrei being propelled out by the explosion in the same position that Patrick did when his suit was destroyed by Setsuna. It doesn't clearly show him dying (unfortunatly) and as we all know the first rule of fiction (and gundam) unless you see the corpse, they're still alive, he likely survived. Again, unless this is addressed in the epilogue, which I didn't see.

So yeah, just wanted to point that out and crush SoulBro's hopes...and mine.

Unless I'm remebering this entirely wrong in which case feel free to correct me.

Oh and, my thoughts on the movie were generally high, it was a good experience, there's only one thing I wish they'd done but understand why they didn't in terms of the story they went with. I wish they gave the 00 [Q] some real action scenes asides him flying in, shooting Patrick's suit, and cutting into the center of the alien mother ship thing and deflecting shots...we never really got to see what it could do. I suppose what I'm trying to say is it didn't really sell the model to me, which, is kinda the point isn't it? (especially given the model's balance issues)
AKA- TheTrueYup
Chris
Administrator

Yes, you are wrong because Andrei clearly did die. Allelujah rescued a Flag pilot, not Andrei. Besides, his suit exploded while being absorbed by ELS. He didn't survive.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
tehprognoob

The case would've been different with Patrick, but Andrei isn't Patrick
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

thehod

Patrick is a graduate in the school of escaping mobile suit destruction.
FordR

Oh well then I clearly missed that, awesome.
AKA- TheTrueYup
Arbiter GUNDAM

I very much enjoyed this episode. I don't know why but it just seemed like you guys were having a lot of fun with this episode. Maybe because you were talking about the worst 00 since Code Geass? :mrgreen:

And yes, I too give Trailblazer a 4.5 out of 5.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
hotlimit

Great episode, and I loved that youtube clip of Chris's voice to Sai Argyle, I'm hoping someone will do a Dennis clip.

Anyway, I have one thing to say about both stunt casting and insert songs: They are what got me into Gundam! I was pretty much anti-Gundam until I heard that TM Revolution was going to be involved with it (hence my screen name...). I gave Seed a chance but couldn't stay awake through the second ep. I passed over Destiny until I found out Chemistry was doing one of the opening songs (the one everyone seems to hate), and since they were my favorite group at the time, I watched the episode of Destiny where they used it. It was a clip show, naturally, but it had a lot of action and turned me on to Gundam as a whole.

In any case, that got me to go back and watch the original and Zeta and all that good stuff. I certainly wouldn't have given the franchise a second thought if it weren't for that clever bit of marketing.
skyknight

Sorry to be late on this topic, but with the year coming to the end, I think its ok to look at things that have happen this year. I did watch the 00 movie roughly a few weeks before the March 2011 Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami; and my bro and I were having a departing lunch party with our buddies, who are also Gundam fans, just about 2 weeks before the quake struck (our original plan was to visit Japan from 3/18~31, hoping to catch the sakura blossoming as we leave - we changed the plan later for May).

And what did we think of it? Boy, was it mixed - from character development, the real nature of the aliens, and the mecha designs; we could NOT agree on one thing. But one thing for sure, it was entirely different from all the Gundam shows we have seen before, and I guess maybe that is a good thing from being another cliche anime movie (like Ronin Kenshin, Bleach, Dragon Ball...).

Gotta say that the 00 series has to be the boldest Gundam series (Turn-A is the next one), as tries to setup the story as close as to our contemporary timeline, while exploring possibilities for the future of humanity (one tragic outlook from the series is that alternative+GREEN energy will NOT solve human conflicts). Almost all Gundam series deals with armed conflicts, where the protagonist(s) finds ways to end it, but not necessary resolve it - just look at the UC timeline.

Yes, I was aware of the "review" from ANN, which I thought some areas were complete BS - it was clearly that he probably never watched more than 10 eps from the entire 2 seasons of 00. If he never saw much of the 00 series, he should be upfront about it, and judge the work differently (Roger Ebert made the mistake of saying that videogames can NEVER be a piece of art, but he never played one with his grandchildren; for the record he did give thumbs up for Serenity despite never watching any of the Firefly eps), but I think at the end, it is up to viewers to decide - Bandai relies on Gundam fans, not reviewers!

I have a different view of the movie from you guys, for one is the defining the role of Innovators: on Shaman, I did have the same initial impressions as you guys, but after I saw the film, I actually thought differently about him - I see him as the misunderstanding of Innovators: they are not be born as super-solders, but are to be ambassadors of humankind and coordinator for the better future (I would dare to say this was the role of Newtype and Coordinators were suppose to be), and this is where Ribbons failed and Setsuna succeed.

The 00 Qan[T] was something that my bro and buddies have polarizing views: it looked worst than 00 Raiser, didn't have any fancy weapons like the Nu Gundam; but for me it is the anti-Final/Ultimate MS, as its purpose is to establish communication with ESL, not to be the almighty MS of all Gundam universe.

The character development was good on most part, seeing the redemption of Graham is the highlight, while Setsuna is trying to fulfill his role, where Tieria is the "aniki" for the group. I think Feldt was under-use for the film, and I do question the screenwriter's take on her feelings for Setsuna from S2, which is not truly resolved. Yes, I did ask before, but the relationship between Setsuna and Marina has to be one of the most interesting (can't find the right word) in Gundam - not a elder sister/younger brother, but like a moral/ideal conflict; and I do agree with Chris it is bittersweet at the end, and Soul Bro, double true -> I want to know what happens to the rest of the crew.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100