Ep. 001: Earthbound

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 001: Earthbound

Chaos Theater Ep. 001 - "Earthbound"
- Download Now: 128 kbps - 95 mins, 36 sec. (1:35:36) 87.53 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Debut and What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:08:58

02. Discussion: "Earthbound"
Runtime: 0:09:11 - 1:04:14

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:04:26 - 1:35:21

Yes, it's finally here: the first episode of Chaos Theater! In our debut episode, we introduce ourselves as well as our two continuing segments, "What We've Been Up To" and the "Chaos Theater Mailbag." We then jump into the focus of our discussion, the 1995 Super NES classic Earthbound (aka Mother 2). Next time, we'll be covering Hiro Mashima's fantasy shonen action series, Fairy Tail. If you want to learn more about Earthbound/Mother, check out Starmen.net. A special thanks go out to our Gundamn! listeners who have shown support so far for Chaos Theater. We hope you will continue to support us, as well as the Gunpla show.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Vent Noir

Re: Episode 001: Earthbound

I'm going to have to correct you about Rie Kugimiya. You said she only plays pettanko tsunderes. Actually, she only plays short pettanko tsunderes.

I'm curious about Fairy Tail, but Crunchyroll only has the last month's worth of episodes, and I want to start from the beginning. Is there anywhere else I can get it (legally?)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chris
Administrator

Since Fairy Tail is part of their subscription service and they offer the episodes on delay for free, I imagine the only way to get all the episodes legally is to become a Crunchyroll subscriber.
Mu La Flaga

So listened to the first episode and enjoyed it.
Glad to know you also like Sliders and all and yeah I never saw season 3, it went kind of donwhill there when it got changed.
Simillar deal for Seaquest, seems alot of shows got meddled with back in those days and all.

Farscape I forgot and that was made in Australia and all actually, I need to get in to that one again.

X-Files I forgot about, I should get the set one day.

Also just a small note on audio, I had to up my volume level to be good for the speech volume.
So probably wouldn't hurt to maybe set that a little higher in future.

Thanks for the responses.
Will aslo have to keep in mind that Pedro prefers subs more in future.
Seems also Dennis dropped by for a quick visit or to pick up a case of beer.
NastyNate

I enjoyed the episode. I miss sol bros editing of the curse words though. I had to fast forward through some of it. I am looking for Inevitable dot hack review. Since I know chris is a fan of the 4 original games.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
gundamtype0

Great first episode guys. Enjoyed the fact that you and Pedro swear like pirates. Very nice touch.

Dragon Age pretty much consumed my winter break. It's a very solid RPG. The discussion on Earthbound took me to memory lane. I remembered that giant strategy guide back in middle school. The rental place I knew would include that guide for a one week rental of the game. Another RPG series that's set in the modern era is Persona. Kinda gave off a similar vibe to Earthbound but the characters are high schoolers and is more stylized.

I think Quagmire made a cameo in the podcast along with Dennis.
Chris
Administrator

NastyNate wrote:I enjoyed the episode. I miss sol bros editing of the curse words though. I had to fast forward through some of it. I am looking for Inevitable dot hack review. Since I know chris is a fan of the 4 original games.
Well, I hate to disappoint you, but the show is always going to be this explicit. We don't curse for the sake of cursing, but the point of the discussion is to be informal, and this is how we speak to each other regularly offline. As for dot Hack, no promises for the foreseeable future, but anything is possible.
Shinigam_Newtype

Really liking this podcast! It's good to see MAHQ diversifying. Is there any chance this podcast will be on I-tunes?
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Hi, guys. Congrats on getting the new podcast started!

First off, I enjoyed the episode, but I highly suggest that you guys get some pop filters for your microphones to improve your recordings. (Gundamn! can probably benefit from the same investment. Especially Neo. His voice just resonates with everything in my room and the whole place shakes!) I hear you can even make your own at home for a collective cost of just a few dollars, haha.

I'm very very interested in Earthbound having heard your thoughts on it. I just don't know if I'll have the time for it. How long would you say each game lasts?

I'm currently working on Star Ocean 4's post-game, and I swear the whole thing is no fun AT ALL. Something like Earthbound would be refreshing. It's interesting to hear it was developed by HAL Laboratories because they also produced my favorite game growing up as a kid: Kirby Super Star on the SNES. It was absolutely genius. Simple and fun. Funny and awesome, and it had great fight mechanics, too.

May I abbreviate Chaos Theater as CT?

Chris, I have a few questions or topic suggestions I thought about dropping into the mailbag, but I suppose the mailbag is not really for topic suggestions? I'm thinking that this early into the podcast that you and Pedro already have a lot to cover on your own. I'm just worried my questions usually take some time to answer.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Vent Noir

Chris wrote:Since Fairy Tail is part of their subscription service and they offer the episodes on delay for free, I imagine the only way to get all the episodes legally is to become a Crunchyroll subscriber.
I am a subscriber. I can still only get the last month's episodes.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Slyther2rao

Awesome! Can't wait to listen to it. PS and probably for the final time, Sorry for the trouble I may have caused. I've not been feeling to good recently but thankfully for me I'm in a much better state
Slyther2rao

Also when you were talking about a lack of RPG's in a modern setting, I don't think you mentioned Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series? Adittionally it'd be cool if you've played them if its worth discussing and what it does differently from other RPGs?
Chris
Administrator

To not create a massive quote wall, I'll leave those out.

Shinigam_Newtype:
You need to have 5 episodes before you can be listed in the iTunes store. But as I noted in the first post, you can easily add us manually into your iTunes.

Seraphic:
Since this is a brand new podcast, there are going to be some kinks to work out. We're already looking into filters. As for Earthbound, my second playthrough was over a long period of time, but I'd say it's probably around 40 hours, at least. Yes, you can call us CT. Although we have the entire year's topics already mapped out, we'll be having topic suggestion and general feedback threads soon.

Vent Noir:
Don't know what to tell you then. Maybe you should contact Crunchyroll and ask why an archive isn't available.

Slyther2rao:
We were specifically trying to name modern RPGs starring young kids, hence why we only mentioned Pokemon and Costume Quest, whereas Persona has teenagers. I have yet to pick up Persona, but Pedro has extensively played 3-4. Also, in the future please use the edit function instead of double posting.
Slyther2rao

Coolio! Would love to know what Pedro thinks of them? Am currently a decent length into 4 and just started 3. Makes a nice change after beating myself with Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy and Tales.

As of this update I have managed to ebay a copies of Earthbound 0 for the Nintendo Famicom and Mother 2 for the Super Famicom. Given that they're in Japanese and I probably wont much without a walkthrough would you still recommend them? I'd also have to take into account that these games are 20+ years old and especially for earthbound 0 it's internal battery is probably next to nothing now?
jabman025

good show guys, looking forward to future episodes

just wanted to remark on the question that Dollow and I asked (get out of my head Dollow!) Yes your right, anime is really a medium not a genre, but here in the states it is. This is paticularly true of new fans. I was just curious of what your thoughts of these gateway shows are. But when I think about it your right, there really are no gateway shows anymore. Since everything is online these days, everyone can find whatever suits their tastes. Back in the day DBZ was my gateway anime but I guess those days are gone......I feel old.....

p.s. Pedro you really need to work on your "Defender of Destiny" yell, Neo does it so much better. XD

and Chris, you know you just fear the Defender of Destiny....admit it!
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Chris
Administrator

jabman025 wrote:Yes your right, anime is really a medium not a genre, but here in the states it is.
Regardless of what people (incorrectly) think in the U.S., it doesn't change the fact that anime is a medium rather than a genre.
Furious Rodimus

Hey, excellent episode.

Thanks for fielding my question and clearing up a few things for me, the explanation was very helpful.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
phillosmaster

Earthbound is perhaps my favorite RPG (My brother and I also fished it out of a bargain bin when we were younger). Any game that allows you to plays as a little kid, eat burgers out of garbage cans, and hit garden snakes with a baseball bat is a winner in my book. Also the Runaway Five were awesome. Earthbound, Chrono Trigger and FF6 are the holy trinity of SNES RPGs.

Really enjoyed the first episode.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Slyther2rao

Speaking of re-releases of Snes RPG and what not, I really wish Nintendo and Square Enix would consider releasing in any way possible Seiken Densetsu 3, the follow up to Secret of Mana. I would pay to play that game legally.
jcncasval76

Chris, is this show on iTunes yet?
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)