A curious question on the GP01

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Mu La Flaga

A curious question on the GP01

Ok so recently I was reading through this topic a little bit back :P
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11145

And the discussion made me think.
If the GP01 was supposed to be a prototype as were all 3 of the Gundam project machines which would be turned in to MP units or not.

Then the question is, instead of having numerous core fighters for environments for the GP01, why not make an optimal one for Earth and Space use?
I mean if they developed one for underwater resistance pressures and all that would be different.

But, it worked on RX-78 with the 1 core fighter works for all situations once it's combined in to the Gundam.
So anyone got any thoughts on this?
Wingnut

Re: A curious question on the GP01

Mainly because the hardware changes from Earth to space I would imagine.
Although the GP-01 was not originally intended to be as extensively modified as it was after Kou trashed it, the dialog implies that the large boosters on the core fighter that became the backpack were always part of the design and were considered unnecassary for ground use. Just taking them off instead doesn't work either as the fb core fighter lacks wings and even the brick of the original that Amuro's Gundam used had fold out wings to fly.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

Where the question arises, though, is why is the hardware change(Core Fighter/big boosters) even necessary, given that the RX-78-2's Core Fighter was equally capable of operation on Earth and in space, with AFAIK no hardware changes at all.
It does seem slightly silly.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
nacho-wan

My two cents in the matter: the GP series was never intended for mass production. They were technological test beds for new developments -very similar to the Advance of Zeta's Titan Test Team. Nobody thought that the Titans planned to field a mecha with oversized arms?

For te core fighter issue; I believe it was a test of modularity. Why have a specified mecha if we can have modules? It would make a less costly proposition as league military demostrated in Victory Gundam
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Wingnut

Dark Duel wrote:Where the question arises, though, is why is the hardware change(Core Fighter/big boosters) even necessary, given that the RX-78-2's Core Fighter was equally capable of operation on Earth and in space, with AFAIK no hardware changes at all.
It does seem slightly silly.
Performance of course. The GP-01fb was probably the quickest accelerating and most maneuverable mobile suit in existence when it rolled out.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
DeltasTaii

It's been mentioned before that GP01 would work in space just as well as the Gundam had if Nina and Kou weren't middle school children mentally. The boosters are for the sake of giving it performance more comparable to a dedicated space combat mobile suit, like the more complex backpack units on the GM Command Space or Zaku High Mobility Type.
Brave Fencer Kirby

DeltasTaii wrote:It's been mentioned before that GP01 would work in space just as well as the Gundam had if Nina and Kou weren't middle school children mentally.
While the argument over the recalibration did make the situation worse, the GP01 still needed a hardware change before it would've been fit for combat in space. At one point Nina says that in its current state (before the hardware change), the GP01 would be lower performance that a GM in space -- and that was with the correct recalibration.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
DeltasTaii

The funny thing about that point of reference is that all the GMs on the Albion are pretty high performance space use MS.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Though, that would depend on if they were specifically talking about the GM Custom or the general GM Kai. As said, the GM Custom is high-performance itself (as good as the RX-78-2 based on overall specs, which the GP01 also is overall), so being a little less than that doesn't seem like it'd be THAT horrible of performance (with correct calibration anyway). Even the GM Cannon II doesn't seem that horrid, lol.

Now being inferior to the regular GM Kai would be different...
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Enileph

If you are talking about RGM-79N then well... that is supposed to be the functional version of a GP01, and even that is originally only designed for a small, limited production for ace pilots. Well, in a way GP01 is a souped up RGM-79N with new parts and toys.

The GP series are never designed to be bases for Mass Production, they are basically testbeds for new technology for the most part. This is true from GP00 to even the disguised GP04. That is why you see expensive and over-the-top tech on these units, anything grom new frams and thrusters, to new sensor units, smart gun, nukes, giant beam bazookas, MLRS systems, MA grade weaponary, I Field, E-clips for beam machineguns, hidden arms and what not.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Enileph wrote:If you are talking about RGM-79N then well... that is supposed to be the functional version of a GP01, and even that is originally only designed for a small, limited production for ace pilots. Well, in a way GP01 is a souped up RGM-79N with new parts and toys.

The GP series are never designed to be bases for Mass Production, they are basically testbeds for new technology for the most part. This is true from GP00 to even the disguised GP04. That is why you see expensive and over-the-top tech on these units, anything grom new frams and thrusters, to new sensor units, smart gun, nukes, giant beam bazookas, MLRS systems, MA grade weaponary, I Field, E-clips for beam machineguns, hidden arms and what not.
Actually, it was using a GM Kai with tech from the Gundam Alex, not the GP series. The same with the GM Cannon II.

The GP series were a different thing all together.

And we already knew the rest there...(except the beam smart gun didn't debut until Gundam Sentinal, 5-6 years later) nor were there GIANT beam bazookas...
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
nacho-wan

Enileph wrote:The GP series are never designed to be bases for Mass Production, they are basically testbeds for new technology for the most part. This is true from GP00 to even the disguised GP04.
Wait a second, the GP-00 is not canonical -well so fas a I know. However your point is valid, the GP serier were test beds for new technology, afterall Anaheim had a lot to catch up when they started doing MS.

Do you think that the tech tree would be very different if the date from the Gundam Develpment Project wasn't erased?
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
HalfDemonInuyasha

Probably not really...after all, the technology used in the GP series didn't seem SO far advanced. Like Gundam Sentinal had the Plan 303 Deep Striker on paper, which is essentially a Dendrobium Orchis for the S Gundam. ZZ has the (possible) AMX-17 Gigantic and such.

Heck, the most advanced unit would most likely be the Neue Ziel overall; Big Zam on massive steroids.
JEFFPIATT

Enileph wrote:If you are talking about RGM-79N then well... that is supposed to be the functional version of a GP01, and even that is originally only designed for a small, limited production for ace pilots. Well, in a way GP01 is a souped up RGM-79N with new parts and toys.

the RGM-79N GM custom was based on the RX-78-NT1 gundam "alex" the only alex tech not adopted for mp ms was the panoramic cockpit/ liner chair. the full armor kit ended up on the RGC-83. the GP series tech was used on a set of 3 powered GM's that were built from stock RGM-79C units.
HalfDemonInuyasha

And even those 3 Powered GMs were primarily just thrusters and verniers to simulate the standard GP01 more than anything else. Otherwise, in terms of weapons, armor and whatnot, it was the same as the regular GM Kai.
JEFFPIATT

from the GP01 that would have been all that came off it to a next gen GM that and giveing the RGM series the same modular kits the zaku enjoyed.
prince_of_zeon

Well, the obvious answer is so that Kou could get something of a "mid-season upgrade" and Bandai could sell more kits...but I digress...

I think the main point we have to consider with the RX-78's core fighter is the fact that it was compatible with ALL of the Operation V mobile suits; the core fighter for the GP-01 was the only core fighter out of the entire production line (considering the GP03's remains non-canon). As such, the fighter itself was modular. I highly doubt that the core fighter as it was equipped on earth could have function well in space, and the space version's aerodynamics are simply atrocious, so I doubt it would work to well in an atmosphere. I would assume the same would apply to the Gundams they are associated with.

Another possible thing to note is that the Full Burner pack is an upgrade-it may have not been ready at the time that the GP01 and 2 were being tested and the Federation wanted to test those weapons systems as soon as possible (before the naval review?), so they would test the GP01's capabilities in a terrestrial environment AND THEN send it to the moon for testing its feasibility as space suit.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
nacho-wan

The GP-03 uses a different core fighter system; the design as seen in the MG model is quite different from the GP-01's.

Now given Gundam's track record with aerodynamics, I guess any core fighter would have flown on Earth atmosphere. Basic flight is thrusts anyway and the Full Vernian's core fighter had plenty of that.

The reason that its parts stayed on the moon was because they were completed later. Anaheim choose to send the two units to Earth for testing under gravity as soon as possible, after all, the Gundam military guys gets giddy when prototypes are involved!

I find really curious that at this stage, the EEFF stills employs core fighters -after all that is the most expensive part of the Gundam System
-Henry I. Miller
HalfDemonInuyasha

As said, the GP03's Core Fighter isn't entirely canon, so not really counted.

It would've flown probably (the regular one), but also like with any Core Fighter of a Core Block System, it was NOT made for combat, but rather self-defense for escaping, so it was made more for a speedy get-away vehicle and not aerodynamics. At the most, as Kou had done in 0083, possible reconnaissance, but even that was only done because they were using a spare Core Fighter. If they only had one, it most likely wouldn't even be doing THAT much.

And the Core Block System is still used, at least with prototypes, because of, like with the original Project V MS, data collection and protecting it so it can be analyzed later and used for future MS production.
nacho-wan

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:And the Core Block System is still used, at least with prototypes, because of, like with the original Project V MS, data collection and protecting it so it can be analyzed later and used for future MS production.
But then, after 0083 Core Fighters dissapear out of the UC timeline until Victory Gundam -the proto-crazy thing in AOZ doesn't count :roll:
-Henry I. Miller