Macross Frontier Movies

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
NastyNate

Macross Frontier Movies

Do they resolve the love triangle? How many are there? Are they just a compilation or a retelling like dyrl or a continuance?

Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the ending and series over all. Just curious what the movies are all about and if there is anyway to dig further with the characters after the series ending.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Wingnut

Re: Macross Frontier Movies

There's two of them from my understanding, the second of which isn't going to hit Japanese theaters until next month. Thus far the series events have covered up to the episode 7 range with the rescue mission of the Galaxy Fleet ships so there's a lot still to cover. Some stuff is the same, but there's plenty of DYRL style changes to the way some things go including a new plot involving Sheryl and her origins.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
NastyNate

So is the first movie good, and is it well enough written that I can watch it with a person who has not seen macross before? Just like DYRL.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

Wingnut

I suppose it's possible, but like I said it only goes so far in the Frontier story.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
azrael

NastyNate wrote:So is the first movie good...
Whether it is good or not is a matter of opinion.
and is it well enough written that I can watch it with a person who has not seen macross before?
You don't need to watch any previous Macross-series to watch the 1st movie.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Mr Bushido

azrael wrote:
and is it well enough written that I can watch it with a person who has not seen macross before?
You don't need to watch any previous Macross-series to watch the 1st movie.
I agree, you can go into Frontier without knowledge of the previous series. I think it works as a first time viewer.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Dark Duel

Frontier(the series) was my first entry into the franchise as well, and while having seen at least SDF Macross can make it more enjoyable in terms of the minor and not-so-minor homages (the respective colors of Michel's and Klan's machines, the sequence in which Alto rescues Ranka in the first couple of episodes), it's not a prerequisite.
Though having seen SDF, you can better appreciate one episode in particular
Spoiler
which is setting up Ozma to die exactly like Roy Fokker did in the original, only to end in a massive fakeout as Ozma survives.
But you can certainly watch Frontier with absolutely no prior viewing of earlier works - I did, and enjoyed it immensely. In fact, seeing Frontier motivated me to find and watch the original!
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
NastyNate

Well i just finished the macross frontier first movie. I watched it with someone that has not seen frontier and the movie did a great job expaining what was going on. I really did not like how they put more nudity and i don't know what was up with the vampire sheryl seen. This movie seemed to be much more dirty than the series which really disapointed me. The animation quality was out of this world great. I kind of liked the story changes they did.
Really wondering what are they going to do with
Spoiler
Michal surviving and sheryl knowing rankas song and knowing about rankas past.
Not sure if i am going to keep my first movie but i will be looking forward to the next movie with great anticipation of what changes they will make in the ending. but that will probably not be answered until 2012 when it comes on dvd.

azrael

NastyNate wrote:Really wondering what are they going to do with
Spoiler
Michal surviving and sheryl knowing rankas song and knowing about rankas past.
Spoiler
Who said Michael had to die in the first movie?
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
NastyNate

[/quote]
Spoiler
Who said Michael had to die in the first movie?
This is true which raises the anticipation of the next movie.

NastyNate

So with this new trailer
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GugClf1Em1M
it looks like they are going to keep michael alive and still keep his relationship with klan klan.
I wonder what is up with the bells and wedding dress scene. The real question is are they going to tie up loose ends with this one or are they going to make a new season? What do you think?

Third Child

Until recently, i actually thought the first movie compiled the entire tv show. It wasn't till a few days ago that i found out that it was 50-50 for both movies. As for who wins the love triangle, i'm impartial but i hope it gets resolved since i'm not a big fan of unresolved triangles as Macross 7 left us in a lurch, unfortunately.
Dark Duel

NastyNate wrote:So with this new trailer
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GugClf1Em1M
it looks like they are going to keep michael alive and still keep his relationship with klan klan.
I wonder what is up with the bells and wedding dress scene. The real question is are they going to tie up loose ends with this one or are they going to make a new season? What do you think?
1. Your link is broken. Fixed link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GugClf1Em1M
2. O.O...that last couple of seconds did have me go "WTF?" for a second
3. Nice to see Michel and Klan again. That shot with the '25G and Queadluun-Rea to me seems to make even more obvious the intended homage with those two characters(Not that it wasn't painfully obvious to begin with)
4. I'm always up for another new song, and Movie 2's titular "Sayonara no Tsubasa" sounds like it delivers.

Anyway, I finally saw Itsuwari no Utahime a little bit ago, and overall I liked it - it's different, but not in a bad way, really. Though personally I still prefer the initial concert sequence from the series to the one at the beginning of the movie. On the other hand, it introduces the Gallia-4 subplot much, MUCH earlier on, and to me the way the movie handles it not only makes sense, but is far more intriguing than how it was done in the series.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
NastyNate

Well the 2nd movie has just started showing in Japan. In case you can't wait to find out.
Spoiler
Yes, Alto rejects Ranka and then confess his feelings to Sheryl but inmediatly dies or is MIA because he gets caught in the fold made by the Vajra Queen, Mikhail survives and Klan too
If you want to read peoples thoughts that have just seen the movie and speak english, head on over to.
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... ntry900047

TetraVaal

Hell yeah, that is awesome.

This makes me want to see the movies now... I loved the series, and since they finally give you a REAL ending, this may make Frontier all the more better.
Kuraudo

Stay away from the spoilers. Reading about the triangle is fine, but there are a *lot* of awesome little touches/cameos that you'll probably want to see on the import rather than just read about.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

NastyNate wrote:Well the 2nd movie has just started showing in Japan. In case you can't wait to find out.
Spoiler
Yes, Alto rejects Ranka and then confess his feelings to Sheryl but inmediatly dies or is MIA because he gets caught in the fold made by the Vajra Queen, Mikhail survives and Klan too
I'm not at all surprised. To me, the winner of the triangle was perfectly obvious before the TV series even started airing.
Spoiler
They made it clear that Sheryl was the main of the two heroines just through the TV series promotions alone, and the series itself as well as the first movie solidly reinforced this.
It's quite often clear which of the heroines is the main one through ads, promotions, OP/ED animation, etc, just as they make it clear in Infinite Stratos that Houki is the main and the one who will win (if there's an actual conclusion to the harem, quite often they leave it open....), and that Index is the main heroine who will in in Toaru Majutsu no Index. (again, if there's a conclusion to the romance)
Dark Duel

NastyNate wrote:Well the 2nd movie has just started showing in Japan. In case you can't wait to find out.
Spoiler
HURRAH!!!! I was hoping that was the direction it would take. Now I can't wait to see it!!!! :D

Destiny_Gundam

Not at all surprised, since
Spoiler
the bitchier of the two love interests always wins in Macross series :lol:

I have no problems with Sheryl but she was quite the stuck up bitchy pop diva at first.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Dark Duel

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Not at all surprised, since
Spoiler
the bitchier of the two love interests always wins in Macross series :lol:
Not in the original, she didn't.
Spoiler
Minmay IMO was far more of a stuck-up bitch than Misa, and Hikaru ended up going with the latter.
Also, I read the spoilers on that link posted above, and it made me want to see this movie even more...can't wait!!
Last edited by Dark Duel on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.