Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

The name of this topic is pretty self-explanatory. Like Gundamn!, Chaos Theater will be featuring a Mailbag segment during each episode. Drop your questions in here, and we'll answer them!
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
DuelGundam2099

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

May I ask what criteria are allowed to be asked and what aren't? Are questions about the main site allowed?
Chris
Administrator

You can ask about anything relating to the categories that the show covers. Questions about the main site would be rather pointless because the show is primarily non-mecha based. Those questions can be posed instead to Gundamn!
TheGoose

Dear Chaos Theater,

Have either of you read any manga by Osamu Tezuka? If so, what ones did you read and what did you think of them? Have you seen any anime or movies based on Tezuka's work? What did you think of those?

Also, I've been looking for some shojo anime and manga to read and watch. What would you recommend? It doesn't matter how old or what sort of genre it is, I'm up for anything.

I hope the new podcast works well for you guys. 8)
Last edited by TheGoose on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dollow

What are your feelings about the Yugioh series as a whole? Do you think in the long run it help anime in the States or hurt it?
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
jabman025

Do you think shows like Pokemon, Naruto, or Dragonball Z are good for an anime as a whole because it draws in new fans? Or are these shows hurting anime as a whole because it sets a bad sterotype for those getting into anime?
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Furious Rodimus

What is up with moe? What was the impetus for it, what was the series that brought it to the fore front, and why does it continue on?

What do you think "The Next Big Thing" in anime will be?
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Mu La Flaga

So re-listening to episode 68 of Gundamn, general anime, scifi, fantasy, video games.

Still need or curious to see what else we can or can't ask though just so we have some more defined criteria for questions.
Chris
Administrator

Mu, you just answered your own question. Anything in those categories that you wouldn't ask on Gundamn!
Mu La Flaga

Alright will have to give it some thought and see what I can come up with to submit for the Chaos Theater mailbag.
Vent Noir

Do you guys read many SF/Fantasy books, or are you mainly just into TV/Movies/Anime? If you do read books, what have you read recently and what did you think of them?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

Ok here goes my mailbag entry.

Hey Chris and Pedro/Pedro and Chris aka Chaos Theater.
So been thinking on this for a little bit.
Here is my 1st question.
For general science fiction stuff are there any shows which might not be so much mainstream that influenced you or ones enjoyed watching when you were much younger?
An example of something not so much mainstream I can think of is a few of Gerry Anderson's works, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and Stingray.
But on the other hand there were some very interesting shows in the 90s like Sliders and Seaquest DSV were ones I can also point in the direction of.

So name some shows that come to mind in the science fiction genre.
(Chris Star Trek is not on the selection choices for you :P)

A 2nd quick question is to Pedo and Chris.
After hearing episode 63 of Gundamn and Chris mentioning he had shown those dub clips of Macross 2 to Pedro, can you guys name any general horrid anime dubs that are just completely and utterly irredemable? :P

Look forward to your answers and thanks guys.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Question about video games are alright, aren't they??

Anyway, here's my question:

Video games have always been fun for me. I'm pretty much open-minded to everything, but when it comes down to racing games, I'm all over them. What do you guys think about racing games?? Realist vs Arcade?? Any thoughts on the Burnout franchise always being awesome (especially with Paradise), the Gran Turismo franchise and the rollercoaster quality of the Need For Speed franchise (Shift and the most recent Hot Pursuit being the best since a very long time after the disaster of Undercover, Pro Street, Carbon and World)?? If any other comes to mind, feel free to mention.

BTW: Chris, we need a rematch on Hot Pursuit :mrgreen:
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
TakaTahuNuva

1) Has any of the hosts read (or seen the adaptations of) Frank Herbert's Dune, and if so, what are your thoughts on the series?

2) "Hard" science-fiction vs. "soft" science-fiction. An example in anime would be Planetes vs. Galaxy Express 999. What are your personal preferences? Which makes better live-action adaptation? Pros and cons of both genres? Popularity of one over the other? etc.
ohhhh snap
PedroBear

Hello everybody out there in Internet land!

I'm going to be one of your hosts for the Chaos Theater, the one and only Pedobear South, Pedro Cortes. Although everybody that's posted here I've heard/seen posting in the Gundamn! forums, I'll give a quick introduction.

I'm an associate editor at Modern Method's toy site Tomopop and their anime site Japanator. I've been collecting Japanese PVC pretty hard for the last 7 years and been watching anime for the past 10.

Besides animu and toys, I've been a huge SF nerd my entire life thanks to my parents introducing me to books and Star Trek at an early age. Lately I've been hitting Doctor Who like that Time Lord owes me money. It's good stuff and I recommend it to everybody.

For video games, I used to be a big fan of JRPGs, but that's cooled off as of late for various reasons. In the meanwhile, Bioware and Bethesda have filled that void gloriously with Dragon Age, Fallout and Mass Effect. I also enjoy fighting games, much to the chagrin of General Haterade and the Capcom Hate Force.

Well, that's good for a brief insight into what I like. Be sure to hit up CT for more severe neredery!
mobiusdiablo

What do you guys think of the Final Fantasy series as a whole? Do you like, dislike or just don't care? On a similar note, do you think Final Fantasy 7 is overrated, and if so, why do you think it's so hyped up? Personally I think it's because of it was the first FF to be released on the PS1 in 1997 which I think was its launch year.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Balesirion

I know that back in the old days of FAHQ, you guys had reviews of some of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. What are your thoughts on the books that have come out since his death, and on the series as a whole?
Cardinal_Gundam

Are there any anime that you couldn't finish watching because the actual plot was vastly different from what it appeared as in the beginning? An example for me would be "School Days" which starts out as a normal high school romance anime and ends with a girl snuggling up with a disembodied head.
Furious Rodimus

What has stood the test of time in the following categories (plus any others you can think of):

1) Anime
2) Video Games
3) Movies
4) Toys/Models
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Cardinal_Gundam

What are your thoughts on the idea of older games being remade for todays systems? Does it needlessly tamper with the nostalgia some older games carry? What are some games from the 8-bit or 16-bit era that you would like to see redone?