Ep. 068 - Christmas Bebop!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 068 - Christmas Bebop!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 068 - "Christmas Bebop!"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 155 min., 17 sec. (2:35:17) - 71.1 MB

Special Guest Host: Andres Cerrato (Intro & Seg. 1)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:43:52

03. Judau & the Junkyard Kids! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 0:43:52 - 0:44:40

04. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:44:40 - 0:45:31

05. 1st Segment: "Holiday Mecha Merchandise Gift Guide!"
Runtime: 0:45:31 - 1:24:17

06. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:24:17 - 1:25:14

07. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:25:14 - 1:25:44

08. 2nd Segment: "Anime Spotlight - Cowboy Bebop"
Runtime: 1:25:44 - 2:22:12

09. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:22:12 - 2:43:42

10. Outro: "Closing/Important News!/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:43:42 - 2:35:17

In this episode, we're joined by our resident Gunpla expert, Andres Cerrato, as he runs down every mecha fan's wish-list - the Gundamn Holiday Mecha Merchandise Gift Guide! Then, we bring the year to a close by discussing one of our favorite animes of all time - Cowboy Bebop!

Many thanks to Andres for taking the time out to join us in this episode. Don't forget to visit and read this latest articles at Tomopop.com & follow him on Twitter @VistFoundation. Also, make sure to check out the special news that Chris closes out the show with. Big things are happening at MAHQ in 2011 so don't miss the out on those details in the outro!

Many thanks for listening, Happy Holidays & See You Space Cowboys Next Year!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode

- Cold Open Drop
* "Clark Griswold's Not-So Christmas Bonus" from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

- Intro Segment, Opening Song
"Arashi no Nakade Kagayaite" by Yonekura Chihiro
* OP from "Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team"

- Intro Segment, Closing BGM
"Soldiers of Sorrow" by Andrew W.K.
* from "Gundam Rock"

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM
"Greensleeves" remixed by mc DJ (A.K.A. Donald Glover)
* from "A Charlie Brown X-mas EP"

- 1st Segment, Closing BGM
"Skating" remixed by mc DJ (A.K.A. Donald Glover)

- GoDaddy Commercial BGM
"Lonely Boy" by Andrew Gold
* from "What's Wrong With This Picture?"

- 2nd Segment, Opening BGM
"Tank!" by Yoko Kanno & the Seatbelts
* OP from "Cowboy Bebop"

- 2nd Segment, Closing BGM
"Blue" by Yoko Kanno & the Seatbelts feat. Mai Yamane & Gabriela Robin
* from "Cowboy Bebop" OST

- Outro BGM, 1st Selection
"God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen (Big Band Version)" by Jimmy Smith
* from "Christmas '64"

- Outro BGM, 2nd Selection
"Sleigh Ride" by Mel Torme
* from "Christmas Songs"

- Outro BGM, Final Selection
"Christmas Time" remixed by mc DJ (A.K.A. Donald Glover)

- Outro Drop
* "Heero vs. Wu-Fei: The Battle for Christmas AC. 196!" by Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

- Shinjuku Station & MAHQ Signoff
"Good King Wenceslas" by Mel Torme
* from "Christmas Songs"

- Stinger Drop
* "A Merry Note from John to Hans" from Die Hard

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 068 - Christmas Bebop!

Ok my only comment so far is, am I only the one havving problems downloading the episode?
Soul Bro Ryu

Mu La Flaga wrote:Ok my only comment so far is, am I only the one havving problems downloading the episode?
Just downloaded it from my end, and had no problems to report. But if you're still having issues, click this link to download it: http://www.sendspace.com/file/33mzi9
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Thanks Soul Bro if I get another problem I will know it's something on my end.

Edit: So listened to most of the episode now, interesting gift ideas.
I have never watched Cowboy Bebop.
Kind of have an interest in it but not overly much, might check it out one day.

As for Neo and his Australia bashing of us bloody convincts, right back at ya, you yank! :P
On a side note though dude sorry you had to put your dog down and all.
Would it be appropriate to give a Neo's salute to your awesome dog who had an interest in Chris'es leg during special 01 with Bill Whipton/Boi Wonder.
As a team Neo member I would support this idea.

Chaos Theatre sounds pretty interesting, keep us posted on this.
I don't see the forum yet.

Also Merry Christmas Gundamn Crew.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

You know what?

Way back when I was in high school, we were at a marching band competition where I saw a band marching Tank! on the field. Unfortunately, they were horrible, both music and marching-wise. Their sax player even screwed up the solo.... So shameful. Well, it was interesting to see that someone had gone out of their way to coordinate some marching band sets for Tank!

(Neo, I'm trying to find time to work on your stuff.)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Vent Noir

On behalf of us convicts, bet you wish your great-great-great-grandfather had nicked a loaf of bread!

Cowboy Bebop was a good show, but it never grabbed me the way it did some other people. I'm pretty much over it.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
jabman025

Good show guys

I liked the wish list for the holidays, MG Wing gundam was great kit. I appreceate the shout out but, while I love the looks of the PG Strike Freedom I just can't see myself spending that much money on one kit.

As for Cowboy Bebop, I just wanted to say that while all the characters are good in this show. What makes this a great show is the story telling. You could put random character A in any one of the roles from Cowboy Bebop and keep the story the same and it would still be a great show. My personal favorite episode has to be "Pierrot le Fou" because in gave us one of the greatest and most terrifing villians to show up in a single episode of anything.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Chris
Administrator

jabman025 wrote:I appreceate the shout out but, while I love the looks of the PG Strike Freedom I just can't see myself spending that much money on one kit.
Blasphemy! You have profaned the sacred title of the Defender of DESTINY. You don't deserve the name!
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
jabman025

Chris wrote:
jabman025 wrote:I appreceate the shout out but, while I love the looks of the PG Strike Freedom I just can't see myself spending that much money on one kit.
Blasphemy! You have profaned the sacred title of the Defender of DESTINY. You don't deserve the name!
The Defender of Destiny is not rich.......I wish it were so but it is not
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Nick Izumi

While I LOVE Steve Blum, my definitive role for him will always be what I first heard him in, which was Char Aznable on the original US Gundam Movie dub. I treasure those tapes and while they get very little respect from a lot of people, I would absolutely love to have a DVD with that dub on it..
I AM A MAN!!! *PUNCH*
I review stuff with MS Paint. www.youtube.com/nickizumi
phillosmaster

While Cowboy Bebop might be a bit overexposed now in the states considering the Cartoon Network aired it to death, it's still on my list of top ten favorite anime series. For some reason I never get tired of watching it. Ballad Of The Fallen Angels is definitely my favorite episode. The pace of that episode and the shoot out at the end was so well done that it just blew me away the first time I watched it.

My sister is a Spike's alive believer, and I've had many a spirited debate on the subject. I think it's a testament to the strength of the storytelling that people care that much if Spike lives or dies at the end. He's definitely dead BTW.

Like I said in the mailbag, keep up the good work. When I first became a Gundam addict back during Wing mania, I was starved for information on the subject. MAHQ and later Gundamn! has become my go to resource for all thing mecha related. You guys are awesome.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
The Fowl Sorcerous

Mu La Flaga wrote:As for Neo and his Australia bashing of us bloody convincts, right back at ya, you yank! :P
Always remember in most cases they were convicts that were smart enough to ask for transportation.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Mu La Flaga

Might be the case for some people.
But not with my family.
jcncasval76

on the question about the trailers, I remembered the teaser trailer for first live-action Transformers movie, I would think that piece would play at the beginning of the film; as it turned out, however, that teaser was used on a scene during a briefing between Section 7 chief & Defense secretary. so when I watched the first trailers for both Green Lantern & Thor movies, I literally put a comment "please comment only after the actual movie comes out, it's a bloody teaser trailer" on youtube recently - right after reading at least a few comments from people hating the movie after watching the trailers.

As for Cowboy Bebop, it's one of those anime series that I wish I had watched it; alas, I don't have the budget to get the DVD boxset, nor the opportunity to watch it first hand or reruns due to scheduling from Cartoon Network (before and after cable tv), not having cable tv before sept., 2004, and just can't stay awake long enough to watch it at all.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
gundamtype0

Great job guys. Another entertaining podcast.

Neo really seems to like his merchandise with a hint of a colony drop.

Bebop is still one of my favorite shows. I equally enjoyed both the Japanese and English voice acting. To this day, Mad Pierrot still freaks me out.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote:As for Neo and his Australia bashing of us bloody convincts, right back at ya, you yank! :P
On a side note though dude sorry you had to put your dog down and all.
Would it be appropriate to give a Neo's salute to your awesome dog who had an interest in Chris'es leg during special 01 with Bill Whipton/Boi Wonder.
As a team Neo member I would support this idea.
Well, my dog had a good life and was not alone when he went. There'll be a new dog sometime soon.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Koshernova

As I've said again, great show guys! I never pay attention to your schedule so whenever I hit 'refresh' on iTunes, and I get a new Gundamn episode, it's always a fantastic surprise :)

Anyway, here's me again with a silly question regarding an in-joke: What's the whole 'this show doesn't exist' business with Unicorn? When/where did it originate?
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Chris
Administrator

Kosh wrote:Anyway, here's me again with a silly question regarding an in-joke: What's the whole 'this show doesn't exist' business with Unicorn? When/where did it originate?
Back in 2009, some Italian sites were reporting that Unicorn was being adapted as an anime. Given what happened earlier that year with 0081, I didn't want to report anything until there was reliable confirmation from English sources. Because that took awhile, a couple of the idiots on 4chan's /m/ starting talking about how I was refusing to acknowledge Unicorn's existence. Thus came the joke about it not existing, thanks to those morons.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mr Bushido

Chris wrote:Back in 2009, some Italian sites were reporting that Unicorn was being adapted as an anime. Given what happened earlier that year with 0081, I didn't want to report anything until there was reliable confirmation from English sources. Because that took awhile, a couple of the idiots on 4chan's /m/ starting talking about how I was refusing to acknowledge Unicorn's existence. Thus came the joke about it not existing, thanks to those morons.
Wasn't the fact that it was also announced on an April 1st contributed this news as fake? Cause when I remember reading about this, it was posted on an April 1st date though that was a while back and I don't remember that well.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
MrVince

Thanks for this episode. I'm a pretty big Bebop fan, and since you guys didn't have any comments on the manga, I'd like to contribute a few notes. Sorry but I haven't read these since I purchased the manga box set from Suncoast. Yeah, it's been that long.

The manga is split into two small sets of volumes:

1. Cowboy Bebop, written by Hajime Yatate (collective pseudonym for Sunrise's staff) and illustrated by Yutaka Nanten. The character designs are slightly different. This three volume collection, packed with standalone stories, vary in length from 8 to about 50 pages. Some of the chapters I recall include:

- Faye crossing paths with her former mentor.
- Spike is sent to jail, but it's only part of the plan. He's on a job to break out a very "unique" inmate.
- Ed reunites with a fellow classmate from the school of hard knock hackers, but all isn't what it seems. This is one of the longer 50-ish page chapters.
- A space truck driver gets caught up with the wrong crowd and gets tangled with Mr. Spiegel himself. This is also one of the longer 50-ish page chapters.

2. Cowboy Bebop, Shooting Star by Cain Kuga. These are two volumes cover an alternate universe. The first volume and half the of the second covers the crew of the Bebop taking on a very meticulous enemy. The art in these two volumes contrasted a bit more than the other manga series and the anime series. People with a low tolerance for discontinuity in art and story should avoid these two volumes.

I enjoyed all of the manga, but found the three volume set to be better than the two volume alt. universe set. The vibe in both the art and story are in sync with the anime series. Expect good humor and action. I could see these presented in a future OVA or webisode series. The chapters with Faye's mentor and Ed's peer add well-deserved depth to the two female members of the crew.

The alt. universe presented in the two volume set are good. The story has more depth than the three volume collection. The antagonist arguably has more depth and backstory than Vicious. This is to Kuga's credit. However, I felt the fun bebop vibe was not all there.

I recommend the manga to the moderate or extreme fan who came to terms Spike is dead and all we can do scrape around the edges for side stories.