Real Steel

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Strike Zero

Real Steel

Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Sume Gai

Re: Real Steel

Rock-em Sock-em Robots: The Movie?
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Wingnut

Sume Gai wrote:Rock-em Sock-em Robots: The Movie?
Looks like it. I'd watch it.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
halo1000

Awesome doesn't even cover it! :mrgreen:
TetraVaal

the reflective textures scream Transformers to me (the Michael Bay versions that is), which is NOT a good thing, at all. However, I will commend the artists behind the actual designs, as they look fairly interesting. As for the movie itself... meh, not something I'd rush out to see.
Dark Duel

Hugh Jackman has never disappointed me yet as an actor, so I will probably give this a look.
However, I'll wait a couple of months longer and pay a dollar for the rental, rather than ten bucks for a movie ticket.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
TetraVaal

one major strength I see right now is, the robots motions have no artifacts what-so-ever. I wonder if this film utilized any of the tools that were created during the making of Avatar, as not even ILM's work on either of the Transformers films have accomplished this. That is one thing this film has going for it, just by rewatching the trailer over and over, and analyzing each frame, their motions have no jarring effects, incredible FX work so far.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

This reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode with a similar theme. Depending how it goes, I might give it a look.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Mu La Flaga

Simple yet interesting.
mcred23

After reading this and later seeing the trailer, I just couldn't take it seriously at all. I was half expecting to see one robot knock the head off the other or something like that. :roll:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
dreacon

Well i'm rawther sure that will end up happening.
We're oft' t' blame and this tis' too much prove'd that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself.
thanatos

It looks like they've just scaled down the Bay's Transformers.

There's no indication of plot in the trailer, but I'm hoping for the heart-warming story of a down-and-out robot who, through hard work and determination, rises to victory. I wonder if the training montage will just be him sitting in a repair shop getting upgrades and new software.

So essentially, I want Rocky with robots. Robocky?
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
Geoxile

More like Ironman: Boxers
Not even kidding...

edit: Wiki'd it and

Real Steel is an upcoming action drama film inspired by Richard Matheson's short story "Steel". The story was first adapted for television by Matheson as an episode of The Twilight Zone. The film stars Hugh Jackman, is directed by Shawn Levy and produced by Robert Zemeckis and Steven Spielberg.[1]

Maybe not such a joke? Matheson is pretty big.
Big B

I cannot take this movie seriously. It looks fun, don't get me wrong, but it looks like the first contender for bad-movie-of-the-year award for 2011.

Maybe not "Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus" bad, but unless something's there that I don't know about, this is definitely not an Oscar contender suffice to say.
TetraVaal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWwR2_bWN7k

NEW trailer for those interested. It's a stark contrast from the first trailer, which I'm happy to see. It looks like something I'd take slightly more serious than what the first trailer had to offer. Oh, and the VFX... it just goes to show that motion-capture is the future of CGI. The VFX in this trailer alone already makes the latest Transformers trailer look out-dated.
Arbiter GUNDAM

The premise is so ridiculous that it makes me want to go see it just to see HOW ridiculous.

But who knows, if this does well in theaters, maybe we'll see more robot movies (likely not Gundam though.)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

I had hopes for this until I saw the new trailer before Stranger Tides yesterday. I swear, why does Hollywood never learn??! The number two protagonist beside Hugh Jackman is a frickkin' KID!

--Freyja Wion
fahentai

Look really cool.
However, I doult if there will be a lot of those mech detail be showed on the movie or not.
Sorry for my fuxked up English...But I am just an international student in Au from China. If my words makes you guys confused, let me know.I will explain it.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Hmmm, it's a got a 71% fresh rating on RT so far. I'm getting more interested.

--Freyja Wion
Strike Zero

So, I was lucky enough to be invited along to attend a pre-screening of Real Steel last night. Without a doubt, best movie I've seen all year; as much fun as I had watching Dark of the Moon, Real Steel beats it far and away in terms of enjoyability.

Any worries I had about the presence of a kid ended up being unwarranted -- I liked the character, Max, just as much as I liked Hugh Jackman's character (who I shall henceforth refer to simply as 'Hugh Jackman' because all that we really need to know is that he is Hugh Jackman). And of course, there was ridiculously-awesome robot boxing action everywhere. I'd recommend that anybody who had even the slightest interest in this movie go and give it a shot.

Now for some spoiler-y thoughts:
Spoiler
The plot is pretty straightforward standard fare, so I won't bother going over it too much. Long story short: a down-on-his-luck robot boxer teams up with his estranged son to enter into robot boxing matches and beat the living crap out of anybody who stands in their way. Well, not at first -- Hugh Jackman gets his ass kicked a lot at first, mostly thanks to his cockiness and sheer overconfidence before and during his fights. Fortunately for him, he manages to grow out of it later.

I give the plot props, since it doesn't waste a whole lot of time with anything unrelated to Max and Hugh Jackman's journey through their matches. Max comes off as kind of a little prick at first, but once you realize that Hugh Jackman's own attitude isn't all that much better, you see that they make a pretty good match. I actually ended up really enjoying their development as they grew closer to one another, and it made for a pretty decent story overall.

Meanwhile, the whole angle surrounding the robot underdog, Atom, was pretty much ripped straight from the first Rocky movie, but I didn't mind at all because, dammit, they replaced Rocky with a seven-foot-tall boxing robot, what heck isn't there to love about that? What I found particularly interesting was the fact that Atom wasn't built as a boxing robot, but rather a sparring robot. This meant that he couldn't hit very hard, but was designed to take a lot of hits and could move quickly, which gave him a means to fight against bigger robots designed to deliver damaging blows. There was also this thing throughout the movie where they seemed to be implying that Atom was actually alive(?) but I decided not to think about it too much, since it gave them an excuse for the exciting scenes where after being knocked down, Max would shout for Atom to get back up and, holy crap, the little robot freaking got back up!

The action, thank the Gods, doesn't suffer at all from Transformer's infamous "Can't-See-Shit Syndrome". All of the fights were really fast-paced and hard-hitting, and most of the robots were highly unique and individual, so there was absolutely no lack of excitement to be found there. My favorite robot of the movie, to my surprise, actually ended up being the Atom. I wasn't all that enthused when I first saw glimpses of him in the trailers, since I figured (and accurately surmised) that it'd be yet another case of "a boy and his robot" with him and Max. However -- in addition to all the things mentioned in the above paragraph -- once he started showing up jerks and beating the ever-loving out of robots nearly twice his size, I just couldn't help but adore him. Though that's not to say that I didn't love any of the other robots that showed up; I nearly jizzed in my pants when Hugh Jackman brought Noisy Boy out of the shipping crate, his design was so cool. Needless to say, I was highly disappointed/outraged when Hugh Jackman allowed him to be beaten to hell in his first fight. Rest in pieces, Noisy Boy. You will be missed. =( In the end, the only robot I didn't care for too much was the champion Zeus, if only because his design, while intimidating, was also pretty boring (though he did have piston-punch arms, which was kinda cool.)
All-in-all, I'm very glad I had the chance to see Real Steel. If I'm able to find the time, I'd definitely like to go and see it again before it leaves theaters. I just hope that it manages to do well enough box office-wise -- it most certainly deserves it.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.