My RX-178 Costume

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
kikin0083

Re: My RX-178 Costume

woo hoo the con was a success and i got alot of great crtiques, eventough i got second place, it caused an uproar because i lost against a vocaloid. the board members actually looked for me to apologize becuase they felt i should have won but the judges, i think one of them was to blame lol. well anyways i got honorable mention, which to me means "no competition" hahahaha. well anyways here it is with 90% completed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20533250@N05/

my friends took more pics of me with other cosplayers and me beating up an umbrella corp. operative, i accidentally tripped and kneed him and the crowd went wild and worked out just fine hahahahaah
iKhaotic

Could use some panel lining......

.....I kid I kid lol. Very impressive! It turned out really good, I'm assuming you're going to keep working on the details until you get it to look like a full fledged Gundam? If so, it's going to look really nice when finished since you have such a good start. Now that I've seen the near complete product put together though, this brings up the question...what Gundam were you going for? I can't for the life of me figure out which it ressembles lol...
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
Dark Duel

It's in the thread title, and the design of the backpack makes it kinda obvious: RX-178 Gundam MkII (AEUG colors).

Looks awesome. Way better'n anything I could've done.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
kikin0083

thanks guys, in case your wondering from what series its Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. i finally got a chance to see it this year and the movies finally being released by bandai this past summer, i became a ZETA freak! :D
iKhaotic

Dark Duel wrote:It's in the thread title, and the design of the backpack makes it kinda obvious: RX-178 Gundam MkII (AEUG colors).

Looks awesome. Way better'n anything I could've done.
Wow, can't believe that slipped my mind lol (and I'm probably the one that posted the most in this thread too aside from the OP!). I haven't gotten around to watching Zeta Gundam yet which is why I couldn't recognize it from looking at the photos. Thanks for clearing that up.
kikin0083

ok i want to start making the beam rifle but i cant find good enough pics to base it off. can anybody take pics or know places where i can get good large sized pics of the beam rifle and if possible the shield also, thanks. :D
iKhaotic

kikin0083 wrote:ok i want to start making the beam rifle but i cant find good enough pics to base it off. can anybody take pics or know places where i can get good large sized pics of the beam rifle and if possible the shield also, thanks. :D
Dunno if you'd want to use a Gunpla rifle as a referense pic, but try Dalong's site. Go to PG on top, then the Gundam MkII

http://www.dalong.net/
kikin0083

oh wow these are perfect because of the high details he put on them and theyre very clear looking too. thanks alot this is gonna help me alot. people i met at the con, are already wanting to see it finished hahahahahahaha. but thanks alot for the link its gonna be very helpful :D
SchizophrenicMC

Pretty nice work, there. Too bad about second place (that Vocaloid better be singing Fly! Gundam or Toki wo Koete right now :P) but there's always room to make it better and win it next year, eh?

Costuming's a fun hobby, and I've always wanted to combine that with my interest in Gundam (and Gunpla). Got my ODST armor waiting for next A-kon, and I plan on making an Ez8 arm to flail around. I'm thinking of starting a Ground Gundam costume. Any advice on proportions? I know Gundams are notorious for having all kinds of non-humanoid proportions.
My incredibly disorganized Photobucket album - Because I'm too lazy to find and fix all my links, should I make new albums.

"You really think anyone's gonna play hero? You're startin' to disappoint me, Commander Newbie."
-Eledore Mathis
kikin0083

thanks alot, a ground gundam would be sweeeeeet!. they way i got the porportions is taht i started with the head part first. i used an extended msia mark 2 as a blueprint. with the head finihsed i compared the head piece of teh msis to the other parts of the figure and then compared that to the one i bullt and then took measurements of how long should each side of the piece should be. it does take a while to figure out a piece your gonna make before you make the first cut. i advice that measurements are what take up most of the time in making, so make measurements and write it down on a piece of paper to make your own blueprint of each individual piece. its basically like building a gundam from the ground up.

i suggest start with the head first and then move to limbs (arms first then legs), the chest part and skirt, i suggest leaving the rocket boost pack at the end because its the simplest thing to make and its just one whole big piece. good luck and maybe i see you this coming akon, i just might go.
SchizophrenicMC

Well, see, I was planning on using a far more advanced, computerized, and expensive method (:P) to make that costume. I'm just wondering if I should try and mess with proportions till it fits me, or if I should make it an extended exoskeleton that makes me taller to fit it.

I'm kinda leaning towards making the large exoskeleton, because it'll remain accurate to the anime, though, it'll make a lot of else impossible. Makes me wonder how I'll go about holding the rifle. Maybe some complex electronics? I shall have to ponder this.

Back to your costume, I just built a Titans MkII Master Grade, and, man, the proportions on that thing are fourteen kinds of crazy. I think you did pretty good to reconcile that to human.
My incredibly disorganized Photobucket album - Because I'm too lazy to find and fix all my links, should I make new albums.

"You really think anyone's gonna play hero? You're startin' to disappoint me, Commander Newbie."
-Eledore Mathis
iKhaotic

Speaking of complex electronics, if I ever muster up the patience and skill to build a Gundam suit/costume, I wanna do a Strike Freedom one. I've always thought it'd be cool to rig up some kind of switch controlled by pressing a button on my palm to open up the DRAGOONs on the back unit lol.

Just a wild dream? For me, maybe. But for someone who is commited and skilled, it's very possible and would be really neat!
SchizophrenicMC

Just remember, the biggest problem faced by all men of science is the capacity of the battery!

NEEDZ MOAR JIGOWATTS

But, really, keep in mind weight constraints, cost constraints, and power concerns, and you should do alright.

-Eledore Mathis
iKhaotic

Hahah, I'm pretty sure power wouldn't be a problem considering I only want the DRAGOONs to open up. Not like I'm asking it to fly everywhere shooting stuff (although that would be neat...) lol. I'm sure there's some small machine that can be taken apart which only requires like 4 AA batteries to run :P
SchizophrenicMC

Well, what you've gotta consider, is, for all those DRAGOON wings to open takes a good few servomotors and is gonna weigh quite a bit. More weight means more power is needed to move them. More power means more batteries. I assure you, there is no 6-volt, low-amperage motor that can move those. Or, at least, if there is, it's damn expensive.

Remember, what seems like a small amount of weight, really isn't, because you've got near a third horsepower (Roughly 220 watts of power) at your disposal. A little CD player motor spins a 2-ounce disc at a couple hundred RPM. A blender motor might work, but the biggest disconcert about using motors is they're not designed to move and stay at one position. Plus, a blender motor runs on a 120-volt AC current. You won't find that in a portable solution. You'd need a geared servomotor. They're a bit more expensive, but they're easy to work with and do exactly what you want. Problem with them is they require control boards and the general expense with that.

If I was to dabble in it, I'd make a simple glove-controlled device to move the hand remotely. And I'd also have a mostly-fiberglass construction, with aluminum or steel supports in the legs, assuming I'm messing with size to match proportion.

-Eledore Mathis
iKhaotic

Ah, well I can't argue with your reasonings there. You win. I knew it was just a dream for me lol.
SchizophrenicMC

Don't let it get you down. Just remember, while there's always a solution, it can cost more than you'd like to spend :P

-Eledore Mathis
BlitzkriegOmega

That is an amazing costume....even if the shoulders seem a little too big, but hey, we're all human....I'd love to see a Nu Gundam costume, but the obvious issue would be the Fin Funnels being too heavy
kikin0083

Hello everybody, sorry i haven't been updating this post but now that school is over for the semester i can get back to work and got started on the beam rifle and a more detailed booster pack during the semester whenever i had a chance, check em out :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20533250@N05/
kikin0083

alright heres an update on my beam rifle its looking pretty good :D, like always in the gallery there are more photos of different angles of the rifle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20533250@N05/5773302517/