Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (SPOILERS aplenty)

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
raijinz

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (SPOILERS aplenty)

I'm not going to drop any "S" bombs yet like a certain podcast blond ace, but I do want to talk about this game. I just got round to finishing it, and as much as I love Hideo Kojima as the god of gaming that he is, I really want to bring up some points that for me, just didn't feel right.

To all the haters, let me "Straight-Talk Express" this right away:

- I KNOW the Metal Gear series shouldn't be taken too seriously. Its a Japanese product after all, aimed at the Japanese market.

- Yes, there are huge plot holes in the story, but they don't stop me from enjoying the games.

- I know Hideo Kojima isn't perfect, I just happen to think that his contributions to the videogame industry should at least give him a pass whenever he does something off center.
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
iKhaotic

Re: Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (SPOILERS aplenty)

Hideo Kojima gave me Zone of the Enders. That alone atones for every fault he's committed and will ever commit in his career. lol

Aside from that, I just can't bring myself to play Peace Walker. The PSP controls doesn't feel right and throws me off. Which is a shame because I REALLY want to learn the story of the game.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
raijinz

I also rate Zone of the Enders, and would love Kojima-san to come back and expand that universe further.

I can't help but feel that he's been working on Metal Gear for so long that he's ended up adding to something that didn't really need any more content added to it, thus tainting what was already very good.

In his defence, it's the fault of fans like me that always demand more regardless of whether or not more MGS games need to be made.

Don't get me wrong, metal gear games have educated me in such topics as Robotics and Artificial Intelligence, Nuclear deterence, genetic manipulation and cloning, the Cold War and the Space Race, Private Military Corporations and information control. I feel I have grown as a person by playing these games. I even love the characters (especially the female ones...but not Rose).

The Metal Gear franchise has grown into a timeline with so much depth that you could be mistaken to think some of the events in the games actually happened in real life.

I just get the nagging fear that for every plot point that doesn't add up...
Spoiler
Example: Sigint from MGS3 is the DARPA chief from MGS1
Para-medic is Dr Clark, the same Dr Clark that turned Grey Fox into Cyborg Ninja
...that we are looking at another "George Lucas" monster in the making. Sometimes you just have to step back and leave a masterpiece alone.
Last edited by raijinz on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
////////////////
J-Lead

I don't think those plot points you mentioned were that bad, or contradictory in any sense I get why the "Hey remember those characters you used to like? Yeah, turns out they were dicks" factor can piss some people off, but it's just another case of absolute power corrupting a human being.

People often call the Metal gear franchise convoluted as hell, and while I don't disagree, that's actually one of the reasons I find it fascinating.
Spoiler
But seriously, screw Paz. Crappy character arc is crappy. I'm not a big fan of making the big bad a loli who turns out to be an arrogant punk. The fact that Kojima directed the game makes me want to have a word with him about that one...
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
raijinz

J-Lead wrote:I don't think those plot points you mentioned were that bad, or contradictory in any sense I get why the "Hey remember those characters you used to like? Yeah, turns out they were dicks" factor can piss some people off, but it's just another case of absolute power corrupting a human being.

People often call the Metal gear franchise convoluted as hell, and while I don't disagree, that's actually one of the reasons I find it fascinating.
Spoiler
But seriously, screw Paz. Crappy character arc is crappy. I'm not a big fan of making the big bad a loli who turns out to be an arrogant punk. The fact that Kojima directed the game makes me want to have a word with him about that one...
Thank you for that! That is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to talk about! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that was a stretch beyond "jumping the shark" there.

I kinda feel PW needed to have a villains team in the game, kinda like Foxhound for Shadow Moses or Dead Cell for MGS2. Heck, even the Beauty and Beast Corps gave the mission in MGS4 more depth.
Spoiler
Zadornov should have been the main bad guy IMO
////////////////
iKhaotic

J-Lead wrote: People often call the Metal gear franchise convoluted as hell, and while I don't disagree, that's actually one of the reasons I find it fascinating.
This this THIS! The story alone was what made me fall in love with MGS when I first played MGS2 (my first MGS game). Afterwards I was so intrigued by the story that I HAD to play MGS1, which I played in the form of the Gamecube remake, Twin Snakes. I still need to get around to playing the original Metal Gear games though.

Kojima did an excellent job relating the story to our everyday lives and throwing in the twist of espionage and betrayals between governments and their conspiracies.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
raijinz

iKhaotic wrote:
J-Lead wrote: People often call the Metal gear franchise convoluted as hell, and while I don't disagree, that's actually one of the reasons I find it fascinating.
This this THIS! The story alone was what made me fall in love with MGS when I first played MGS2 (my first MGS game). Afterwards I was so intrigued by the story that I HAD to play MGS1, which I played in the form of the Gamecube remake, Twin Snakes. I still need to get around to playing the original Metal Gear games though.

Kojima did an excellent job relating the story to our everyday lives and throwing in the twist of espionage and betrayals between governments and their conspiracies.
I find it kinda ironic that these days the Japanese gaming industry feels like it has to emulate western games more, when in reality the west could learn a thing or two from Japanese games, especially from someone like Hideo Kojima.
////////////////