Ep. 065 - Chef Bandai's Troll Nightmares!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 065 - Chef Bandai's Troll Nightmares!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 065 - "Chef Bandai's Troll Nightmares!"
- Download Now! *: 64 kbps - 132 min., 4 sec. (2:12:04) - 62 MB

(* Unless your ISP is Road Runner, in which there might be difficulties downloading this episode with the usual methods. If you're having any issues with downloading this episodes, try clicking on Mirror #1 or Mirror #2 and grab it from there. Mevio is aware of the issue and is working on it. When the issue is fixed, this message will be removed.)

Special Guest Host: Andres Cerrato (Segment 1)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:34:43

03. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:34:43 - 0:36:13

04. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:36:13 - 0:37:03

05. 1st Segment: Straight Talk Express Bonus Round!: "The State of the Gundamnation & the Last Days of the Ngee Khiong Blog - Merchandising"
Runtime: 0:37:03 - 1:11:19

06. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:11:19 - 1:12:13

07. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:12:13 - 1:12:40

08. 2nd Segment: "Overused Cliches in Science Fiction Films & Television"
Runtime: 1:12:40 - 2:02:12

09. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:02:12 - 2:03:21

10. Jabman: Defender of Destiny!!! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 2:03:21 - 2:04:33

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:04:33 - 2:12:04

Arriving fashionably late, our resident Gunpla expert, Andres Cerrato takes the wheel of the Straight Talk Express, reigniting the discussion on merchandising aspect to controversial closing of the Ngee Khiong blog. Then we change topics, waxing about repeating tropes & cliches that constantly appear in Sci-Fi Movies & TV!

Also, Chris recently appeared on one of our favorite podcasts, Decoration Disorder Disconnection! He joined Flags & Mechatalk.net regulars - The Suspicious Red Lamp & Bakuhasu - in a discussion of Anime, Gundamn, and other fun topics!

Decoration Disorder Disconnection
DDD Ep 15: Gundamn it! HE IS HERE!!!
MP3 - iTunes - Zune - RSS Feed

Props-o-plenty go out to the DDD Crew for inviting Chris to ride shotgun in this episode! After listening to this episode of Gundamn!, peep their website, download this episode & subscribe to them on iTunes and Zune! Don't forget to let them know that Gundamn! @ MAHQ sent you!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode

- Cold Open Drop
* "The Rent Is Too Damn High Party's Jimmy McMillan at the NY Governor Debate" by TheDailyBeastVideo (YouTube Channel)

- Intro Segment, Opening Song
"Flying in the Sky" by Ushima Yoshifumi
* OP from "Mobile Fighter God Gundam", Season One

- Intro Segment, Closing BGM
"Resolution" by ROMANTIC MODE
* OP from "After War Gundam X", Season Two

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM
"Gallant Char" by Takeo Watanabe & Yuji Matsuyama
* from "Mobile Suit Gundam" OST

- 1st Segment, Closing BGM
"Char Ga Kuru (Here Comes Char)" performed by Hori Kouichiro
* from "Mobile Suit Gundam" OST

- GoDaddy Commercial BGM
"Anything To Say You're Mine" performed by Etta James
* from the compilation album, "The Chess Box"

- 2nd Segment, Opening BGM
"Yakitori" by Yoko Kanno
* from "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex" OST

- 2nd Segment, Closing BGM
"Rush" by Yoko Kanno & the Seatbelts
* from "Cowboy Bebop" OST

- "Jabman: Defender of Destiny!!!" Commercial BGM
"Take Off - Daisanshou - Ooi Naru Yuushi no Kodou" by Toshihiko Sahashi
* from the album "Symphony Seed: Gundam Seed"

- Outro BGM
* "The Price is Right Theme Guitar" (Cover) by Hill Valley Preservation Society

- Outro Drop
* from "Turn 13: 'Assassin from the Past'" of Code Geass R2 (English Dub) (Anime Series)

- Shinjuku Station & MAHQ Signoff
"Fool That I Am" performed by Etta James
* from the compilation album, "The Chess Box"

- Stinger Drop
* from "Chapter 7" of Eastbound & Down (Television Series)

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
VentZX

Re: Ep. 065 - Chef Bandai's Troll Nightmares!

Great stuff. I agree with everything during the Straight Talk Express segment, and I don't have much to add to the cliche segment. I do have to say that the clip from Geass at the end made me remember how touching that particular scene was. I was a bit disappointed though when you didn't add a clip of someone saying "SUZAKU DID IT!!!" right after.
raijinz

Great show as always guys! Congrats on hitting episode 65!
I loved Chris's response to my news post on Gundam Musou 3! Don't worry, I can tell from Chris's PS3 trophy list that he doesn't own a single Dynasty warriors game! ~_^

On a similar note, can we put a fund together to get Soul Bro a PS3? I know how much he wants to play DW: Gundam, Gundam Senki Record UC 0081 and Gundam Extreme Vs!
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
Mu La Flaga

So finished listening to the episode.
Skipped over the first segment, noted my questions were skipped over in the mailbag, probably come up in a future episode either way.

As for the sci film and tv cliche/tropes you want to see disappear.
I admit some of those tropes are very dated now.
I can't think of many you covered the main ones, so not much else to add to the thread.
jabman025

oh snap........sometimes really need to keep my big mouth shut.....
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Mr Bushido

Concerning the boot-leg gunpla, I can see Andres' frustration cause I had a friend who bought a fake HG Strike Noir because it was cheaper. Even though it wasn't mentioned but I was hoping to get Andres' opinion on reviews on boot-leg gunpla and comparing them to the Bandai version. Something like what Prime92 does when she reviews her models, I was hoping to get an opinion on that.

And about my mailbag question in this ep, hilarious how Chris and Neo won't touch it lol but I was hoping to get their opinion too but oh well. And you're welcome Soul Bro!
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Turn X

Bushido wrote:Concerning the boot-leg gunpla, I can see Andres' frustration cause I had a friend who bought a fake HG Strike Noir because it was cheaper. Even though it wasn't mentioned but I was hoping to get Andres' opinion on reviews on boot-leg gunpla and comparing them to the Bandai version. Something like what Prime92 does when she reviews her models, I was hoping to get an opinion on that.
I'll be glad to chime in on that here!

In all honesty, I don't like the reviews as it gives the bootlegs some semblance of credibility. The reviews, at least of those I saw, just treated them like ordinary kits. I'd like to see some things as to what makes them so different compared to the genuine article. The videos just give off the vibe that it's totally okay and "Hey, I saved money by buying the bootleg. It's totally the same!" That's something I can't agree with when it comes to plastic kits.
twitter.com/VistFoundation
www.tomopop.com
Vent Noir

Thanks for answering my question. I was really referring to a having a female Gundam character be on the "main team" - the only ones I can think that might qualify would be Cagalli in Seed (where the main good guy "Gundam team" didn't form until near the end) and Lunamaria in Destiny. Oh, and Elle and Roux in ZZ (it's been a long time since I watched ZZ, I almost forgot them).

Concerning Super Sentai, I've just gotten to the end of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, and there was a surprise in there...
Spoiler
Takeru turns out to be a substitute for the real head of the Shiba clan, Kaoru, giving us the first female red ranger in Super Sentai. Of course, she appeared too late in the series to get much character development, and ended up relinquishing the role back to Takeru in the end, but I still feel it was a gutsy move by the staff to do that. Hopefully she'll return (with powers) in Shinkenger vs Goseiger.
I'd disagree that the girl rangers aren't given much character development. In the Super Sentai series I have seen, the staff did a good job of dividing up the character focus episodes well, and they're given as much character development as their male teammates.

Oh, and Super Sentai/Power Rangers has had kids as rangers before (who turned into adults in costume) - the white ranger from DaiRanger, and Justin in Power Rangers Turbo (ugh).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Taekmkm

Time Force Ranger had a female Ranger as the leader, and therefore, most character development in the series for a female by far.
Vent Noir

Taekmkm wrote:Time Force Ranger had a female Ranger as the leader, and therefore, most character development in the series for a female by far.
Nominal leader, at least. Quoting TV Tropes' "The Smurfette Principle" entry on Super Sentai/Power Rangers:

More than one series has tried to be different by making a female Ranger the nominal leader of the team. In all cases they did an incredibly half-assed job of it, because the Rangers tended to forget this new power structure in the heat of battle, and the male Red Ranger ended up taking command anyway. Examples include Kakuranger/Alien Rangers, Timeranger/Time Force and Gekiranger.
* That's mostly because the underlying trope concept that Red = Leader tends to trump all other considerations. The only way a female character is ever going to get to be the undisputed leader is if she's also the Red Ranger. Some series have had a male non-Red leader (Megaranger, Goseiger) and he's nearly always pushed aside in favour of the Red as well.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Furious Rodimus

The one I'm getting tired of is all the non-evil vampires lately.
Also the villain who isn't really evil, but simply misunderstood.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

raijinz wrote: On a similar note, can we put a fund together to get Soul Bro a PS3? I know how much he wants to play DW: Gundam, Gundam Senki Record UC 0081 and Gundam Extreme Vs!
You really want to waste your charity on someone who would only play one game on the PS3?
Give your money to the Red Cross or something.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
mobiusdiablo

hawk of endymion wrote:
raijinz wrote: On a similar note, can we put a fund together to get Soul Bro a PS3? I know how much he wants to play DW: Gundam, Gundam Senki Record UC 0081 and Gundam Extreme Vs!
You really want to waste your charity on someone who would only play one game on the PS3?
Damn, that's some hate, lol. Though it's probably true. He might also use it as a Blu-Ray player.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Dollow

mobiusdiablo wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:
Damn, that's some hate, lol. Though it's probably true. He might also use it as a Blu-Ray player.
Based on all we hear of, I don't think so since he has free cable, DVR, and Netflix, face it he would not use it as a Blu-Rey player. :D

Don't worry Soul Bro, maybe one day.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

People probably complain about products the way they do because when a company produces something that isn't liked (by those individuals), those are resources that could be put towards what those individuals want. So then they just hate and bitch with all their strength until they get something that satisfies them.

This is a really backwards way of doing things though. You can't make the companies produce solely what you enjoy. You just find things you like and be happy with them. And when there isn't any more of it, you go find something else. Simple, right?

Sorry I haven't been commenting often. I've listened to every episode, still.

Finished this while listening to some episodes. No nudity, but I wouldn't recommend looking at it at work/school, lol.

edit: agh, I forgot to talk about the other topic. I really hate forced romances that happen simply because there is a main male lead and a female lead (Transformers?). It's something about Hollywood that really aggravates me. Such a waste of screen time.

Soul Bro, I thought Tales of the Abyss did an excellent job dealing with/subverting the amnesia thing. I loved that game. Have you played it?
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Ocho

I just wanna say that end of the episode with Shirley dying and Lelouch losing one of his closest friends ALMOST made me cry. With that said I bid you adieu.
"I... I won't die alone. I'm gonna take your soul along with me when I go.""Because of your stupidity the earth remains trampled under the feet of fools."
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Seraphic wrote:Finished this while listening to some episodes. No nudity, but I wouldn't recommend looking at it at work/school, lol.
I like the pic. When episode 66 comes, there's a new challenge that may interest you.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

hawk of endymion wrote:I like the pic. When episode 66 comes, there's a new challenge that may interest you.
Yeah, that does sound like something I'd like to work on. I guess you can PM me about it, Neo. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
skyknight

OK, this is just a response for the first half,

Glad to hear from Andres for his view on the shut down of NK-blog and current chaos over Gundam fans "internal-war." First off, I do say that things operate differently in China + Hong Kong (and some extent Taiwan), which brings to the issue of bootlegs. Believe it or not, some Chinese see it as patriotic duty to create knockoffs of foreign brands: the belief is when you buy a knockoff, you deny that foreign company a profit - like printing counterfeit money as an espionage operation. And one thing that could be unfortunate, is that bootlegger could be living just few blocks away from you, and he could be a friend/relative of the local strong man...

With the NK-Blog shut down, I do hope those living in the "free" world can do the right thing, respect others' opinion and buy the "real" thing. I don't like the design of Destiny Gundam (needs a bit more love!), but I won't trash about it for a week or months, and I do respect those who do like the design. And if you do like the design, I won't stop you from buying the MG kit; its your money and you have control on how you want spend it. As a repeat from my last response, there will never be a perfect show, perfect toy... there were always be flaws, and it is how we look over the flaws that matters.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100