Ep. 064 - Straight, No Chaser

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Chris
Administrator

Re: Ep. 064 - Straight, No Chaser

jcncasval76 wrote:Chris, 30 isn't the end of your life. I'm almost 5 years older than you, and I don't make that comment unless I really think i'm in deep trouble that I won't be survive for too long.
It's called a joke.
jcncasval76 wrote:One thing I have to say to defend George Lucas with his constant revision of Star Wars original trilogy, is that we have to keep in mind that when he wrote the whole saga, the technology at that time was still primitive. So he had to use what he could come up with to make the story believalbe for the audience; now, as we become relying on technology as it improves everyday, he wants to complete his original vision & intent with the saga. Even though some of the "hardcore" fans of the franchises could not understand what the purpose of "updating" the films, since the saga was set in the distant future, shouldn't we just let him perfect that franchise and not fault him for ruining it instead?
I wouldn't at all call what he's done "perfecting" the franchise. As an artist, there's a certain point where you have to stop tinkering with something you've created. You don't see painters going back and changing a painting they made 30 years ago, or a writer re-writing a book they did 30 years ago. The technology back then was fine for the kind of story he was telling. By that line of reasoning, every movie should always be tweaked because it'll become outdated. Whatever movie is made now, in 30 years there will be new technology, so should they be changed? Lucas is throwing in a bunch of CG effects that aren't needed, changing the context of scenes around (ie Greedo shoots first), and doing things like editing Hayden Christensen and Liam Neeson into Return of the Jedi. None of these things are needed. Of course, it's his right to do so. But he's taking away the choice people have of what version people can see. There are countless movies on DVD or Blu-ray where you can watch multiple versions of a movie, but George Lucas is hellbent on denying people that choice. That's a problem.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
jcncasval76

Chris wrote:[and doing things like editing Hayden Christensen and Liam Neeson into Return of the Jedi.
Chris, when did that version came out with both Neeson & Christensen in the Return of the Jedi? I only got the one that has Christensen in there. Maybe you're right about that, that's going a bit too far, even for my standard.

I wish I could have the time & energy to create a site like N.K. blog, and MAHQ. But that also inherit the danger of being criticized severely by "ultras" and "trolls". Speaking of which, have you ever considered putting a disclaimer at the home page of MAHQ?
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
hotlimit

Great episode as always guys! I felt a little bad about not posting my appreciation (for Gundamn) more often after hearing what happened to Ngee Khiong, but I don't want to come off as a sycophant either hahaha.

About the Gundam fandom, luckily I don't spend a lot of time snooping around anime forums on the net (besides the occasional Mecha Talk, of course), so I don't have a whole lot of experience on this topic. Though from what I have seen, some of these people really have no respect.

Personally I've always been more of a fan of the MS than the shows. I mean, I've seen almost everything but ZZ and Victory, and loved every minute of it, but where I can barely even remember half of what happened in MSG or Wing, I know all of the suits by heart (as was Bandai's intent, I'm sure). I may have fallen asleep trying to watch Seed, but damned if Calamity wasn't the first model kit I bought! I can totally see where Ngee Khiong would become upset when people can't separate the MS from the shows. Even my friend who swears he'll never watch anything later than Turn A knows about Strike and Exia, and uses them in videogames.

Also thanks to Neo who pointed out that this stuff is not a lifestyle. I've seen a lot of people beginning to rally behind the idea that video games are a lifestyle and not a hobby, and that they need to push to get it accepted as such. It makes me a little sick, and it can't be healthy to invest so much emotional energy into one thing (plus these are not teenagers, these are supposedly grown-ass men with families, freakin' posting pictures of their kids playing 'their first game' ahhhh, people make me sick lol). And as for people becoming less social, that started with freakin' AIM, Facebook was just the nail in the coffin. All that junk is just a good excuse to pretend you care about people without having to put any effort into it.

Finally thanks to Chris who got me to check out The Hidden Fortress (when you described it as 'how Star Wars would be done by the Japanese' last episode) and Macross 2, which I had to see just for Dennis.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

hotlimit wrote:Also thanks to Neo who pointed out that this stuff is not a lifestyle. I've seen a lot of people beginning to rally behind the idea that video games are a lifestyle and not a hobby, and that they need to push to get it accepted as such.
Thanks, I think its something thats needed to be said. I have nothing against video games, I play them myself. But unless you're a professional or working to be one, I don't see how they could be your life. I feel the same about any hobby that is obessed about by people.

In terms of Facebook, etc., I choose not to have one because of my career. I'm looking to advance and in today's economy/market, you have to be careful about what's on the internet about you. Maybe when things get better, that will change, but for now I'll play it safe.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

To say something simple on the matter.
Facebook it has it's ups and downs, especially when it comes to privacy and/or what people do with information on it.

Which is why admittingly i keep alot of info on there private and friends only viewable.
Hell there are even companies going around scamming or identity frauding people this way.

Although blaming lack of social stuff on AIM I disagree with to an extent.
Sometimes people meet good and bad people through the ways of the net, including 2 good Gundam fans and 1 potential gf who is also big in to mecha.
So it can be argued without it, people may never meet sometimes alternatively.
This also applies to socially how people are, some people were like this before the days of AIM, Gundam has been around a long time in Japan and all.

Videogames ect, I sort of agree to disagree, I mean it's good to have interests in those things.
But not to let it consume every moment of your being.

Moderation is the key.
That is all I am saying for now.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote:Moderation is the key.
That is the lesson of life. Let yourself define who you are, not a hobby, social media, etc. People have lost that concept.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

Yeah I mean it's not like Mu La Flaga formed the basis for my personnality.
Just here it's my way of admiring the dude and thus the username and avatar.
hotlimit

Mu La Flaga wrote:To say something simple on the matter.
Facebook it has it's ups and downs, especially when it comes to privacy and/or what people do with information on it.

Which is why admittingly i keep alot of info on there private and friends only viewable.
Hell there are even companies going around scamming or identity frauding people this way.

Although blaming lack of social stuff on AIM I disagree with to an extent.
Sometimes people meet good and bad people through the ways of the net, including 2 good Gundam fans and 1 potential gf who is also big in to mecha.
So it can be argued without it, people may never meet sometimes alternatively.
This also applies to socially how people are, some people were like this before the days of AIM, Gundam has been around a long time in Japan and all.

Videogames ect, I sort of agree to disagree, I mean it's good to have interests in those things.
But not to let it consume every moment of your being.

Moderation is the key.
That is all I am saying for now.
True, situations are different for everyone. I just called out AIM because I remember the exact moment when (normal) people started using it. You saw a lot less kids hanging out at parties, and a lot more people messaging each other, instant messenger drama, introverts becoming even more introverted. Of course, I'm not going to pretend like there aren't benefits to social media and all that, but it really has changed our culture in a way I wouldn't have chosen.

Neo's got the right attitude on moderation, be sure to be your own person at the end of the day, not some stereotype. It's just I know some people that get really wrapped up in online communities, and while it doesn't necessarily take up their whole life, it does start to affect who they are as a person. Like I saw some dude the other day saying, "I'll never marry any girl who isn't a gamer!", and it's like... really? Your entire life is gaming, so you're not going to make contact with people who aren't into it? I've known some geeks in the past, but never saw people that extreme until social media allowed people to think that these were acceptable lifestyles.
Mu La Flaga

Well take for example this.
I myself earlier on in my life until about or so was more so introverted and I kind of am now.
But then again for instance parties or raves and things aren't my idea of fun.
On the other hand I just like going out to the movies and arcades or stuff with a few friends.

That is how it works for me.
I was that way before the internet days and anyway one my friends helped change that back then.

As for dating of sorts and communities and stuff.
Well for instance the girl I am close to and all is actually the kind of girl who is in to games and mecha anime/anime, but those are just starts of reasons as to why.

Some people do focus on it way too much i agree.
Gundamn episode pointed out on episode 60 how it can be refering to WoW/Gamer comparissons.

And like Neo once said on Gundamn.
"I think WoW is a good game, but I don't want to loose my soul"
Roughly summarizes thoughts alot for me.

Also I said.
"Moderation is the key" line first :P
Destiny_Gundam

To address what Chris was saying in the first bit: It's not that people change their minds and start complaining about stuff they didn't before. Dub haters don't suddenly start complaining when a show isn't dubbed, but they go silent because they're happy. They got what they wanted. However, those who actually like dubs then fill the void and start complaining about it. They didn't complain before because they had dubs so they were happy. It's impossible to make everyone happy, and those who aren't happy complain.

On trolling, I sure suffer from it on a pervasive scale. All of you Nanoha fans probably know what happens when the name F91 is mentioned. I can't do anything in the open without getting attacked for it and only because I don't think Nanoha and Fate are lesbian lovers. If you want vicious trolls, you won't get worse than rabid shippers. I try to do nice things like sharing translated doujinshi with everyone, but people go out of their way to report my files and get them removed in an attempt to get me arrested, and they try to get hold of my personal information to do whatever with it. They'll flame me for the stories I write and for even something simple like saying anything nice about Yuuno.

But of course they're not the trolls. Oh no. I am the horrible troll that should be killed because he ruins everything. I'm the one doing all the horrible things, trying to destroy the fandom and yadda yadda yadda. It really is too much to handle sometimes, especially considering it's practically the entire fandom who has it out for me, with just what seems like a handful of people supporting me. As some one who's never had very high self-esteem it certainly doesn't help. It's impossible to just ignore them too, because it seems everywhere I go they follow me and pounce whenever I open my mouth.

Well, there don't seem to be people like that here, though. Even if there were at least on this site I have mod powers! :D
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Dollow

Destiny_Gundam wrote:To address what Chris was saying in the first bit: It's not that people change their minds and start complaining about stuff they didn't before. Dub haters don't suddenly start complaining when a show isn't dubbed, but they go silent because they're happy. They got what they wanted. However, those who actually like dubs then fill the void and start complaining about it. They didn't complain before because they had dubs so they were happy. It's impossible to make everyone happy, and those who aren't happy complain.
I agree with Destiny Gundam, if anime moved completely to subbed only; I would buy less anime than what I do now. I love dubs more than subs, I would miss dubs, I am not going all over the internet to complain about it; but I know a least one person who is.

The whole world of Trolling is only going to get worse, the internet "changes things, forever" and people will always feel that they can do everything, and since there is no price to pay for saying troll crap to someone else; no one is safe. The internet is something apart of ours lives; and the many bad things about it are a fact of life just as much as the good stuff, the internet just brings out someone's true personally and if that person is not good natured; then that is what you are going to get. Life is hard and its only getting harder, to the point that one has to be very strong of mind to keep going.

I like your editing on this ep Soul Bro, you are have taken to adding what I call "Wall Breakers" with the media clips and it helps give the lister a contex, the junkyard ad gave me so much to laugh at that I was crying, great stuff and I cannot wait for "WSBR", Keep up the great editing.

Overall I love the ep, keep up the good work.

To Destiny Gundam, so your F91? That's cool, you write pretty good fanfics :wink: .
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Vent Noir

Some quibbling over definitions. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I've always thought of a "troll" as someone whose posts with the sole intention of annoying people. However rude somebody is, if they're doing something other than that, they're not "trolling" to my mind. A true troll, to my mind, is something like "Every single Gundam show sucks and all of you are stupid for liking it!"

Of course, that's not to say that the other stuff isn't annoying, but it's a side effect rather than the actual intent.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chris
Administrator

Vent Noir wrote:Some quibbling over definitions. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I've always thought of a "troll" as someone whose posts with the sole intention of annoying people. However rude somebody is, if they're doing something other than that, they're not "trolling" to my mind. A true troll, to my mind, is something like "Every single Gundam show sucks and all of you are stupid for liking it!"

Of course, that's not to say that the other stuff isn't annoying, but it's a side effect rather than the actual intent.
I would agree with you that that's the old definition. But as Internet discourse has become more venomous, the traditional definition of a troll doesn't apply. In my mind, these days someone who is being rude and dismissive of all opinions other than their own is a troll. Even if it's not their specific aim to troll, they're doing it nonetheless by poisoning a discussion.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
skyknight

Man, you guys are talking about some serious s**t here!

So sad for me as well to see NK-Blog go down like Newtype Asylum, as it did a really good job about Japanese sci-fi merchandise.

People ought to know what is the delicate balance between the freedom of speech with modesty and decency; if you don't like what you are seeing or reading, you can offer criticism (that is progressive), or helpful suggestion, or not even bother to follow it. Heck, no one is putting a gun to your head, and forcing you to visit any sites.

Gundam fanboy inner-wars, boy, that will drag down the whole Gundam universe to the ground. Let's be honest here, nothing is perfect, and many Gundam series will have their own faults and flaws, but I do look for a good story with characters that I can relate to. I shouldn't be boggled down by a fictional timeline to enjoy a good storytelling.

Well, to Chris, Neo, and Soul Bro Ryu, I salute you guys for putting up with the trolls, and may I wish that you will hunt those trolls down, eat their flesh, and drink their blood. And thanks to you trio for the contribution for Gundam fans in the English speaking world!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
bertman4

Regarding George Lucas and his inability to let things go.
http://www.foxtrot.com/2010/10/10312010/
The man should work on something new. Please. For the love of Star Wars.

Bertman