Josh's Old Franken Thread

The place to share your artwork.
Antares

Re: Josh's Mecha Hangar (6/4 - Vagabond Type 2)

Truly smexy machine but I have one technical gripe; on DevA you mention the wheels are inside the feet. This would serve as a considerable problem for machine stability especially in fast maneuvers. The reason for the usual landspinners is that they serve to stabilize the Knightmare as it moves. In effect the only way to counter that would be for the vagabond to move in a constant crouch to move its center of gravity down. :)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Josh

Re: Josh's Mecha Hangar (6/4 - Vagabond Type 2)

You got me there, I completely forgot about the purpose of the landspinners to begin with. I suppose to revise my original statement of where they are, I might as well say they're located within the legs and flip down similarly to most of the Knightmares used by the Black Knights. The rotating join however is located right above the ankle so when the spinners are flipped down they resemble kickstands on a bikes.

I'm glad at least one person bothers to still respond to my work here. I might get around to making a weapon for Type 2 but right now I can't really say what my next franken would be. I've got so many projects I've started, scrapped, un-scrapped, and attempts at modeling mechs in Sketchup that I've become very sporadic with this little hobby.
Amadi Akintunde

Re: Josh's Mecha Hangar (7/28 another preview)

And you live at last

Those shapes imply the mech will be rather aerodynamic in purpose. What with all those curves as opposed to the blocky and boxed design scheme most mechs go with.
Newtype87

Re: Josh's Mecha Hangar (7/28 another preview)

Ooh, pretty. I really like the smooth shapes, that's fairly uncommon amongst Gundams. Kind of organic-esque.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
Wingnut

Re: :|

My first thoguht: Tekkaman Windam.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Josh

The End

After who knows how long thinking things over and flip-flopping on decisions I think I can finally make this post and keep true to my word for once.

I'll just be straight to the point; I'm sick of frankening. Project after project being scrapped, I've come to the conclusion that in my opinion: no matter how talented you might be with frankening you can never create something you can truly be proud of, at least not on the same level as if you created your own design and not use other people's work. I'm sick of scrapping franken after franken because I become dissatisfied with the project completely, I'm sick of the limitations frankening puts on my creativity and I'm really freaking sick of tracing line after line after line after line all for something that in the end doesn't amount to much. Of all the time I've wasted with these things, I could have spent getting accustomed to Sketchup AND learning how to competently draw my own designs as well as characters.

So with that, I bring this post, this thread, and my little hobby career as a frankener on this forum to a close. After this I will focus exclusively on making mecha in sketchup and drawing. I'll make a new thread for all of this when I have enough content to post. Thank you to everyone who posted in this thread saying how much they liked my frankens, in the end you few were the last bit of hope I had to continue this but that wasn't enough. I need to broaded my artistic abilities desperately and sticking around doing franken gundam and knightmare frames gets me absolutely nowhere.

If any of you wish to have my frankens in PSD format or finish any of the ones I started but abandoned (I have quite a bit I've never posted) or the images I've acquired and used for frankening please post so that I know there is interest and I'll upload all of these files to an image host for you to use freely. I do not ask that you credit me if you happen to use one of my abandoned projects to make something of your own but I won't deny that I'd appreciate it if you did.

Lastly, I'd like to speak to any of you who continue to franken or are reading this and are thinking about getting into it. This is all my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, I'm only trying to give advice here. "Frankening" can be a nice starting point if you wish to create your own original mecha designs or at least something close to that for a fanfic, RPG or whatever have you. People have created some great looking mecha with it and I like to think I've created at least one or two interesting designs as well. However, no matter how much one can "delude" themselves into thinking that this is completely their creation, it isn't. You started this because you didn't have enough faith in yourself to think you could create your own design on your own so you decided to (for now or forever) pick apart other people's designs and splice them together into a mishmash of parts that resemble something new or for the very lest, not the original design. It is technically stealing, however god forbid the creators of what you take from, let alone a disgruntled Gundam/CG/whatever fan say you can't be doing this. Learn from it, study the designs of what you take from and get a good feel for how they might draw or think things out. The sooner you do that the sooner you can eventually step up and go beyond just "frankening." I've inadvertently done so already and now I've got a taste for what I've been keeping myself from. It's brought me back to my senses... in a sense.

I'm not saying those of you who continue to franken are too scared to create your own original mecha. I completely understand that the few of you might just be doing it because you don't aspire to put the effort into drawing your own original work. I'm cool with that, keep on doing what you do and I'll keep enjoying it. I'm simply writing this to share my thoughts on frankening and how I feel. Personally, to me, it's been holding me back since I first posted this thread. Now I hope to move on and begin anew with a new found drive to create and hopefully a new computer to be creating with.

Thank you, everyone.
Turinu

Re: Josh's Old Franken Thread

Good luck in the new frontier of Google Sketchup and beyooooond~!
tehprognoob

Re: Josh's Old Franken Thread

tl;dr
but GL anyway.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force