Another Century's Episode Portable

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
AmuroNT1

Another Century's Episode Portable

Platform: PSP
Release Date: 1/13/2011
Price: 6279¥ (~ $76)

Featured Series:
Blue Comet SPT Layzner
Brain Powerd
Overman King Gainer
Aura Battler Dunbine
Wings of Rean
Code Geass R2
Martian Successor Nadesico
Nadesico: Prince of Darkness
Heavy Metal L-Gaim
Metal Armor Dragonar
Z Gundam
Char's Counterattack
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
Gundam X
Turn A Gundam
Gundam SEED Destiny
Gundam 00
VS Knight Lamune & 40 Fire
Macross Plus
Macross Frontier
Eureka Seven - good night, sleep tight, young lovers

Reportedly, the game will have NO overall plot - You just pick missions and play them, earning ACE Points (presumably to upgrade and unlock stuff), with no real progression. The game will feature three-player Co-op, presumably adhoc.

The game is currently 90% done, which is making a lot of people suspect it's a rushjob done to mitigate the PR disaster that was ACE:R. I suppose only time will tell.

Screencaps:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/ ... acep01.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/ ... acep02.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/ ... acep04.jpg
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
quasadra

Re: Another Century's Episode Portable

well, this has to come sooner or later... lets hope they remove those charge weapon. it breaks the games sense of speed.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
AceWhatever

Ok I can see ammo counters and a boost gauge. So that's a good sign. Attacks being still in tabbed panels is small price to pay, but I'm not getting good vibes from the countdown timer present in all shots.
AmuroNT1

I think tabbed panels is an understandable move seeing as the PSP is a few buttons short when compared with the PS3 remote.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Mu La Flaga

Most interesting, I may very well look in to this.
Got a mixed line up.
Siroh32

Well, at least I won't need to get the PS2 (or PS3) anytime soon to try out the ACE series of games... Still, I'm considering that anyway.

I don't think I'll overanalyze the news other than that having no story doesn't sound like it's necessarily a bad thing, to me. Looking at the lineup, it's no surprise CCA MSs will remain; I don't recall an ACE game without them. GW:EW, GX and TAG are back from ACE 3 (which is good, in my view). 00's a surprising addition; Exia seems suitable for games like this or the G vs. series.

It doesn't sound like there'll be a multiplayer vs. mode (ad-hoc), which knocks a point or two down for this game. Not much, though, since I don't think I'd find anyone else with the game anyway. Will there be at least a customizable "free battle" mode of sorts where you can pick your mecha and opponent mecha to fight against?
DuelGundam2099

Z Gundam
Char's Counterattack
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
I think it's safe to say that these MSes get over used waaaaaaaay too much.

Looking at the lineup it looks like a "best of ACE" game with 00 thrown in with the Eureka Seven movie instead of the series (was wondering if Banpresto would ever do them) and ............VS Knight Lamune? Hey wait, wasn't it in Super Robot Wars NEO? I thought Banpresto didn't like super robots in their ACE titles unless they raked in cash. :?
AmuroNT1

DuelGundam2099 wrote:and ............VS Knight Lamune? Hey wait, wasn't it in Super Robot Wars NEO? I thought Banpresto didn't like super robots in their ACE titles unless they raked in cash. :?
Actually, NEO had NG Knight Lamune & 40; VS Knight Lamune & 40 Fire is its sequel, and focuses on the son of the main characters from the originals. I saw it once years and years ago, and I never thought it'd turn up in ACE of all places.

As for Supers in ACE, if you believe that post that came out before R, then Supers are allowed as long as 1) they're decently popular like Gaogaigar or Tobikage, and 2) their plots mesh with Real Robot plots from the 90s and 00s. They had a whole gigantic list of Supers that were considered and rejected, including things like Daitarn and the Nagahama Romantic Trilogy.

DuelGundam2099

Actually, NEO had NG Knight Lamune & 40; VS Knight Lamune & 40 Fire is its sequel, and focuses on the son of the main characters from the originals
The sad part is that I found out about this shortly after I made that post. Yeah, my bad. >>
As for Supers in ACE, if you believe that post that came out before R, then Supers are allowed as long as 1) they're decently popular like Gaogaigar or Tobikage, and 2) their plots mesh with Real Robot plots from the 90s and 00s. They had a whole gigantic list of Supers that were considered and rejected, including things like Daitarn and the Nagahama Romantic Trilogy.
That is what I'm questioning, how popular is NG/VS Knight? I know they both have arabic dubs, but I'm not sure about their success in Japan. I also never got how Getter Robo Armageddon or Aquarion could fit into real robot storylines other than typical disaster from x years ago/everyone is sucked into a dimension parts early in the story.
They had a whole gigantic list of Supers that were considered and rejected, including things like Daitarn and the Nagahama Romantic Trilogy.
That is what Super Robot Scramble Command 1 and 2 are for. :wink:

Wonder if Banpresto will use mechs from the ES movie in their next SRW after Link.
AmuroNT1

Wish I could tell you about the Lamune franchise's popularity, but honestly I don't know. All I know for sure is, the only series to come to America is Knights of Ramune, which wasn't very well received.

Getter Armageddon worked in ACE 3 as a compliment for the other "ruined world" series like Gundam X and King Gainer, but primarily tied into Eureka 7; in fact, in the ACE-verse, Invaders and Coralians are related to one another.

As for Aquarion, I suppose it had something to do with the Shadow Angels and their space-warping, which meant they could be a threat without having to have a giant wad of them sucked into the "black sphere". Granted, BP should have thought of that before they wrote out the plot like that...

The list of rejected Supers from that original post, BTW:
-Daitarn 3
-J7 Trilogy (Braiger, Sasuraiger, Baxinger)
-Iron Leaguer
-Jushin Liger
-Daoija
-Zambot 3
-Baldios
-Trider G7
-Acrobunch
-Daltanius
-The Eldran franchise
-Goshogun
-The Nagahama Romance Trilogy (Combattler, Voltes, Daimos)
-Golion
-Godmars
-Gaiking
-Steel Jeeg
-Dendoh
-God Sigma
-Mechander Robo
-Raideen

I suppose that means stuff like Shin Mazinger would work fine, and possibly Kotetsushin Jeeg (unless it falls under the header of its "parent" series).

DuelGundam2099

As for Aquarion, I suppose it had something to do with the Shadow Angels and their space-warping, which meant they could be a threat without having to have a giant wad of them sucked into the "black sphere". Granted, BP should have thought of that before they wrote out the plot like that...
Which is perplexing since in Aquarion, the series anyway because I haven't seen the movies, Shaodw Angel warping is pretty much limited to Earth and Atlandea. Granted in one episode Futaba tried to make his own distorted reality, but that's more or less it.
I suppose that means stuff like Shin Mazinger would work fine, and possibly Kotetsushin Jeeg (unless it falls under the header of its "parent" series).
Jeeg I imagine would work if they allowed ultra fast weapon shifting and with Turn A Gundam the Haniwa Empire could be involved in the Black History when they made Turn A. Just a thought. Shin Mazinger Z? I don't know, maybe if they made Dr. Hell seem like a super intelligent terrorist with the mechanical beasts being prototype mobile suits or something I might see it, depends if they have another series where mythical entities are plausible.
in fact, in the ACE-verse, Invaders and Coralians are related to one another.
The coralians kind of remind me of the OVA versions of demons from Devilman, but that's neat either way. I wonder if Banpresto ever thought of making killer organisms based on series mooks with genetic splicing or something.
Murra

AceWhatever wrote:Ok I can see ammo counters and a boost gauge. So that's a good sign. Attacks being still in tabbed panels is small price to pay, but I'm not getting good vibes from the countdown timer present in all shots.
Exactly, ammo counters and no tension bar make me willing to at least give this a shot. The lineup looks fantastic as well.
DuelGundam2099

*Bumps this* New game play vid got released not too long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lie7A3emaVM

YF-19 vs. Macross, I snickered a little and thought "Ha, yeah right, like a single variable fighter can take down a Macross class ship". Also, does anyone else think that the Eureka Seven stuff is a bit underwhelming? It's just Nirvash busting A-Zone skulls (they don't have bones, but you get the idea), not even Terminus Type B303 is anywhere, strange. Every other series looks like they have at least one battleship from their series and a boss.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Looks like they solved two of the problems with ACE R:

1) The Destiny's slow and pitiful beam rifle firing rate.

2) The utter useless-ness of Luka's RVF-25 in-atmosphere. (you could only use the gunpod and jamming attacks without the Super Pack, which could only be used in space)

But they kind of got a little cheap in the game design for the appearance of Trans Am. Instead of the awesome red glow to the mech's armor, it just gets a red aura exactly the same as the Layzner mechs' V-Max.
DuelGundam2099

And it's officially out; Banpresto originals include a Mass Production Gespenst Mark 2 and two unique gespensts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es4ja0R8pbI

There's also YF-19 game play.
Shinji103

Yeah, the game is a little cheap on the G00 side of things. They use the GSEED sound effect set instead of the sound effects from G00, and for some reason they use the FINAL MISSION~QUANTUM BURST BGM from the G00 movie instead of Daybreak's Bell or one of the other OP themes. (not that that's necessarily a bad thing) And Setsuna's "GUNDAAAAAAM!!!!" shout as his mission complete quote is......really corny. ^^b

Otherwise, it looks like a nice game for a handheld. Although it sounds like the ACE original BGMs are just reused from ACE2, as far as heard in the gameplay videos on Youtube so far anyway.
Wingnut

Uh, Shinji. You seem to have misssed the part in the Youtube video disription that the uploaded mixed in his own BGM tracks for the video instead of what was actually in the game.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
DuelGundam2099

I don't suppose anyone wants to explain what the G-1, N-1, and C-1 Gespenst units have and what those letters even mean.
Shinji103

Wingnut wrote:Uh, Shinji. You seem to have misssed the part in the Youtube video disription that the uploaded mixed in his own BGM tracks for the video instead of what was actually in the game.
Huh, interesting. I saw in the video that it had a Custom BGM option like in ACER, but I didn't see the part of the video where the guy actually used it.