Ep. 063 - The Postmaster Strikes Back!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
jcncasval76

Re: Ep. 063 - The Postmaster Strikes Back!

hawk of endymion wrote:
raijinz wrote: Keep up the good work guys! Don't feel bad Soul Bro, I too have a ton of shows I haven't gotten round to sitting down and watching! I feel your pain!
Please lets not make Soul Bro into a martyr. It might've sounded like a joke, but my explanation of Soul Bro's DVR/cable/Netflix addiction is quite real.
hey Neo, Soul Bro & Raijinz aren't the only one with that issue either, I got so many other programs stuffed in the DVR/DVD/hard drive as well. But we all have stuff dying to get it off our hands.

btw, when it comes to Soul Bro's garage kit (thanks, but no thanks btw), I must emphasize one thing though - even though you might concur with this point: because almost all of those parts are so fragile, and since I have a tendancy of not knowing my own physical strength, I have managed to many of those parts when i make a blunder over time. Thus I must have spent even more money on buying the same kits for spare parts, which drives me mad even more.

On the issue of importing Japanese entertainment products into the United States, Chris is absolutely correct about the fact that the prices is insane since I can testify about it too, when I did some purchases on just anime soundtracks from sites like YesAsia.com or Play-Asia.com, the median price is around $40.00 to $45.00 unless it's for a large box set, which was even more expensive (trust me, I have at least 2 box sets for Kamen Rider series soundtracks in my collection, and they ain't cheap). Even when i was just browsing the DVD section, I could not bring myself to put those stuff into the shopping cart even though I really want them because the price tag was so outrageously expensive. I might as well waiting for a blowout sale from those sites on those products later on to get them.

What an episode you guys have done. Keep up the good work!
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Koshernova

Okay, now I've actually listened to the full episode. You guys answered ALL my questions! Like. Whoa dude. Whoa. Amazing job! You guys have this, kinda, fun-loving attitude to the show, which is refreshing to listen to. As I heard you list my questions I kept feeling 'when am I gonna get laughed at?' and, like, you guys didn't. See above re: fun-loving, etc. Rockin'

Re: Xenogears, I was at first shocked neither Chris nor Neo had played it, but when Neo said 'it's important in a certain fanbase' it made sense to me why. I played the game because I was, at the time, deeply involved in the Final Fantasy/JRPG fanbase. I was playing pretty much every RPG Square put out at that stage (even Final Fantasy IX in Japanese, finished it too!). I played through Xenogears in 2001/2002, which was when I started getting into Gundam and rediscovering Macross, as well as furthering my exploration of mecha anime with stuff like Escaflowne, Patlabor, Nadesico, etc. Xenogears felt, truly, like a love letter to the mecha genre. But by now I realise, it's a very niche RPG that not a lot of people played, even mecha fans.

Also, thanks for the explanation of the DVR thing, I really wasn't getting the reference until you guys explained it this episode. Damn, SoulBro! You go, you watch the hell out of that Heldensagen of the bloody Kosmosinsel! I don't care if the new... tv.. program... is on! (I don't watch current TV much, can you tell? Wait, Glee is airing right now right? I watch that, or something).

And I noticed the repeat of the Eva question as mentioned above, but it was a pleasure to hear a different put down to a silly question :)
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Dollow

To Soul Bro, Thank you for using "Final Mission ~ Quantum Burst"

I am downloading right and will be giving my review later, but I will say I am loving the editing.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Chris
Administrator

Kosh wrote:Re: Xenogears, I was at first shocked neither Chris nor Neo had played it, but when Neo said 'it's important in a certain fanbase' it made sense to me why.
I skipped the whole PS1/Saturn/N64 era, so there's plenty of games from that time I haven't played, which comes as a surprise to many people. I also don't play that many mecha-based games, which I'm sure is surprising given what I do. A lot of mecha type games just aren't that good, and I'm not interested in them as much because of that.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

On a big side note to this whole episode, with all the time traveling you guys did.
I wonder if the Straight Talk Express is really the Steam Engine time machine from Back to the Future Part 3? :P

Makes alot of sense in some aspects.
Although knowing Neo he would prefer the Delorean.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Kosh wrote:
Re: Xenogears, I was at first shocked neither Chris nor Neo had played it, but when Neo said 'it's important in a certain fanbase' it made sense to me why.
I only played it briefly, never finished it. That was back when I was hustling Madden for money, so RPGs weren't high on the list then.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
jcncasval76

The one "contribution" that the Gundam Musou games have is bringing out a couple of new original mobile suits that turns into model kits. As far as the games go, I thought the graphics are really good with all of the versions (in the trailers, at least). However, since I don't have PS3 in my house, I can't really comment too much of the game style. Sure looks really interesting though.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Hyakushiki

On the question of the inconsistent level of technology in the Gundam universe it can be argued that cars may not look that radically different from now since more conservative designs are easier to mass produce. Also firearms haven't really changed that much in the hundreds of years since their introduction so it could be a case not wanting to fix what isn't broken. Considering how powerful beam weapons are in the Gundam universe I don't think a man portable beam weapon would be such a good idea, you don't want shoot through your target, then the wall behind him, then the outer hull too. Neo's suggestion of a linear rifle for infantry reminds me of the weapons in Mass Effect and I'd like to see that. Other inconsistencies are why MS have beam shields but not warships, or why hasn't MS technology used for things other than combat like humanoid robots for labor (with the mass casualties of the OYW they would have been useful in helping with massive man power shortage in the post war period) or cybernetic limbs (Gundam 00 at least addressed that).
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

From what I've read linear weapons are closer than we think in our time.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
raijinz

jcncasval76 wrote:The one "contribution" that the Gundam Musou games have is bringing out a couple of new original mobile suits that turns into model kits. As far as the games go, I thought the graphics are really good with all of the versions (in the trailers, at least). However, since I don't have PS3 in my house, I can't really comment too much of the game style. Sure looks really interesting though.
Its good, harmless, mindless fun. Surprisingly addictive too. It doesn't do much, but what it does, it does very well! Sometimes when you get home from work, all you wanna do is kick the ass of hundreds and thousands of Zakus! (and the occasional "Red Rival"!) I eagerly await DWG3!
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
MrVince

Great episode. Thanks for answering my questions. I really liked the comment about 80's cartoons needing a patriotic element to stand a chance. I never considered that.
hotlimit

Great show, you guys wasted no time getting through what was essentially 40 smaller topics.

I'm glad Chris called out all the people whining about Devil May Cry, would you believe there were people complaining about the swords he was using?! "That's not Dante's sword! Where did Rebellion go!" ARGHH... the internet is great for all kinds of discourse, but everyone seems to think it's their personal soapbox.

I'm also glad Soul Bro cleared up that Pizza-eating clip, I'm pretty sure a lot of people were wondering about it.

Finally, Nate James and Modjo are always coming up on my Pandora channel when I put in 'Jamiroquai'. Soul Bro, did you hack my Pandora account, or do you just know about all these random dance/funk artists?
Soul Bro Ryu

hotlimit wrote:Finally, Nate James and Modjo are always coming up on my Pandora channel when I put in 'Jamiroquai'. Soul Bro, did you hack my Pandora account, or do you just know about all these random dance/funk artists?
Hell, yeah they do! I was on Pandora listening to the Jamiroquai channel, which introduced me to Nate James for the first time. That cat is amazing, to say the least. Plus "Lady" came on during the time I was listening to that channel, which is a jam I hadn't heard a long while. Crazy coincidence, though. You're probably just as excited about the new Jamiroquai album coming out this November as I am.

As for DMC, those knee-jerks haven't seem to get it that it is a very young Dante presented in the preview and it could possibly be him before he even obtained Rebellion. Plus, Ninja Theory pointed out that he does have white in his hair, although it's a few streaks. Everything about this "reboot" screams "origin story" at the same time, to me, but we'll see how it plays out when the finished product comes out.

In a somewhat related bit of trivia that I learned recently (which Anubis dig like as well), featured in a Japanese BlazBlue artbook, the artist of the series drew a picture of Ragna the Bloodedge holding the Rebellion with a shocked look on his face. It's humorous since that character himself is an homage to Dante, Vash the Stampede & Sol Badguy (from Guilty Gear). BTW, anyone know where I can find a scan of that pic?
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

On a relisten of the episode today, I just realised.
GaoGaiGar is more then 10 years old now, it's close to 15 years old(13 years old)

Also why Gendo has a different voice in Evangelion nowadays is simple, some of the ADV actors who did the dub in some cases literally just vanished.

Just to note on that.
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

raijinz wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:
raijinz wrote: Keep up the good work guys! Don't feel bad Soul Bro, I too have a ton of shows I haven't gotten round to sitting down and watching! I feel your pain!
Please lets not make Soul Bro into a martyr. It might've sounded like a joke, but my explanation of Soul Bro's DVR/cable/Netflix addiction is quite real.
Really? If it gets really bad, will you and Chris have to step in with an intervention?
(sorry Soul Bro, I couldn't resist! :mrgreen: )

Wow... after Emma Sheen, it's now the DVR/cable/Netflix obsession.
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
NastyNate

Wow I never thought I would get to find out about an episode of Gundam I have never seen. I am going to youtube asap to watch that episode 15. I'm the gundam guru on my terf and I'm glad to hear about you guys know more than me. Just like you guys convinced me to watch gundam x and turn a. Thanks yal.

edit: just watched the episode. I have always wondered why in my gundam battle chronicles for the psp has a weird zaku that throws rocks. It all makes since. That was a great episode.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
muppetgundam

The first thing that popped into my head when Soul Bro mentioned a WW2 era Macross style show with robots that use props instead of jets:
Big Duo.

Also, add to the list of one episode upgrades that are never seen again: the flight pack Lady Une gets for her Leo in episode 8 of Gundam Wing to give it the mobility of an Aries. I really thought that was gonna go somewhere on my first viewing (oh what a young fool I was).
Am I a Muppet, or am I a Gundam?
If I'm a Gundam, that makes me a Muppet of a Gundam.
skyknight

Was Soul Bro Ryu referring to Yoshiko Ōtaka/Li Xianglan as an inspiration for Minmay?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshiko_%C5%8Ctaka
She is still (in)famous among Chinese at this time.

Otherwise Wiki had its own entry for it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynn_Minmay_%28Macross%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lili_Marleen

I am glad that you guys found the time to answer my questions, and I may have to lay down the R2 dvd's for a while and read the side-stories/alternative-telling in manga publication, to see if it would change my initial opinion of R2.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100