Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
VR7

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

If anyone ever googled Assault Horizon back in the day and found that it was trademarked by Namco Bandai for whatever reason, they weren't joking.

The most mainstream Ace Combat anyone?
-noel
quasadra

Re: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

not what i expect from a Ace Combat game. that said, as long as i can fly X-02 Wyvren in HD, i am all in.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
blind_dead_mcjones

this reeks of that godawful movie Stealth, with a bit of tom clancy thrown in somewhere
Flag Fighter for life!
Murra

If it doesn't feature any obscenely implausible super weapons I will be sorely disappointed.
Red Comet90

If the gameplay is really that cinematic...I'm going to LOVE this game and I'm hoping they keep incredible super weapons. I can tell this game is going for the realistic approach and I don't mind, but Super Weapons are what keep this game interesting to be honest.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Amadi Akintunde

...did I just see a helo doing a barrel roll?

I am suddenly horny. There better be a superweapon or two.

And that last shot is heart racing.

But it seems that they're gonna be featuring the F-22 again. Better be able to fly my F-14 or I swear to Bob. I also hope it won't be as arcade-ey or 'on rails' as the trailer suggests.
blind_dead_mcjones

yes you did amadi, yes you did

actually i was thinking, it would be make a nice change if the F-22 was the plane used by the big bad instead of the flanker, as it would be far more intimidating due to the fact that you wouldn't pick it up on your radar until it was too late, would make for a more challenging boss fight
Flag Fighter for life!
VR7

The Su-37 is currently one of the four cover planes on the Joint Assault cover, sharing it alongside the F-22, the Rafale and the F-14. (Correct me on this but I'm pretty sure these are what I saw) Prior to that, the last time the Su-37 was a cover plane was Rena Hirose's Su-37 on the cover of Ace Combat 3. Abyssal Dision was the main antagonist of AC3, and for most of the game he flew an F-15S/MTD and later on he flew a customized F-22.

Just thought I'd let you guys know. :P

This isn't completely relevant, but the Joint Assault demo has been out for more than a month now. The full game will release on August 31st.

Reception to Assault Horizon has been, from what I can tell, mostly negative--Assault Horizon and Joint Assault are both being compared to the HAWX series primarily on the fact that they take place in a real world setting. But what I didn't like about HAWX was that, like all Tom Clancy games, superior technology (Crenshaw, use your E.R.S. button to let us win the game for you) and the American way always win in the end.

For the record, that wasn't necessarily always the case (See: Vietnam War).

For all the good and bad things in the Assault Horizon teaser, you gotta give it credit for one thing--at least the game still pretends to emphasize on piloting skills.
-noel
quasadra

VR7 wrote:Reception to Assault Horizon has been, from what I can tell, mostly negative
its like Front Mission Evolved a couple of months back. but they have their fair reason for worrying. its Project Aces we are talking about here, they can bitch whatever they want. plus it just a single trailer, we dont even know how stuff will work. the sequence in the trailer feels like its on rail though.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Amadi Akintunde

Everyone at Ace Combat Skies, save me and about three others are mourning the apparent "Death of Strangereal" and bawling over a 1:30 trailer. They're not even criticizing it - just pointing out how Assault Horizon's gonna be plain garbage.
VR7

Let's try to leave Ace Combat Skies out of this.

I thought the reason Ace Combat went to the real world was because of the general complaint that no one could relate to the countries of Strangereal. Ubisoft Romania once put up a blog entry chastising the use of Strangereal, and the majority of people for some reason agreed with them.

Now it seems to be the opposite.

I was more worried that they'd exhaust the number of countries in Strangereal, though AC has reused the continent of Usea about five times by now. (AC2, AC3, AC04, Advance, Operation Katina)

P.S. I never found that blog entry. I know it exists however, because I read it myself and nerdraged over it. If I find it, I'll post it.
-noel
Robo Jason Mk1

VR7 wrote:Let's try to leave Ace Combat Skies out of this.
Yeah it's turning into C&C4 over there

And I don't know where everyones getting the "On Rails" part? I see some fancy camera tricks, and a Heli part(cool!) and even a Attitude indicator, so why straight to worst possible idea's? even when the last 6 or so Aces have been doing fancy camera tricks as well! *Ace 5's US commercial comes to mind.*

and FYI I'm a oldie on ACS, Jason. I'm trying to keep the peace there.
Amadi Akintunde

I think the reversion to the real world's something of a good idea at the moment; ACES seems to have been losing inspiration concerning the Strangereal world for a while. Such as recycling the 'one man army' and 'two man army' ideas. Then there's the losing and liberating of a capital that went on with Zero, X and 6. Strangereal hasn't run out of countries yet, but I'm betting that there's general confusion over what to do with said countries right now.

I love Strangereal, but it doesn't hurt to try to change once in a while. The stories and characters have been great, and the "Scars of Ulysses" saga more or less drew to a close with Ace Combat 6. I figure it'll be some time before Namdai can come up with a new central plot for the Strangereal world. Till then, the fans can write.
VR7

Considering that the Ulysses Asteroid only played a major role in Ace Combat 04 and 6, I don't really see a Scars of Ulysses saga. What I see in Strangereal is a bunch of unrelated wars strung together that are meant to build up to the Corporate War of 2045 but don't really seem to. Not yet, anyway.

Ace Combat 5 and Zero had little to nothing to do with the Ulysses Asteroid, and X had a lot more to do with the Corporate War than the Ulysses Asteroid. Ace Combat 3 is when the Corporate War of 2045 took place, and it seems more integral to the Strangereal timeline than Ulysses does. Should Namco return to Strangereal, maybe they could write a story that more blatantly ties the Strangereal games to the events of the Corporate War.

Not that there's anything wrong with using a real world setting--Joint Assault clearly demonstrates that an Ace Combat type storyline does work even in a real world setting (Cheese lines like "It was a golden axe... that I dropped." and "Why is our insurance selling so well?"). It's hard to see similar material in Assault Horizon, though.

I guess we would have to wait until another trailer shows up with equally cheesy writing.
-noel
Amadi Akintunde

Gonna have to wait for Gamescom.
Strike_Rouge_Mk2

This is new to me, and I cant wait. I hope they put the F-14 back in. Its my favorite plane :D

The real world setting seems interesting and I hope for an awesome Soundtrack like the other AC games, my favorite being from Zero. And to me the trailer seemed to be gameplay and was showing off some crazy camera angles that might occur during combat.. Either that or I'm nuts.
Zeonic Glory wrote:Sorry to ask this but, what does kawaii mean?
Be kawaii and visit the Art and Multimedia section.
raijinz

Add me to the "haters" side of this argument. I know it's still early to crit Assault Horizon, but from playing Joint Assault on my PSP, I really don't like this new "real world" direction.

They should just leave that kind of thing to Tom Clancey's HAWX franchise, this is not the kind of thing AC is about IMO. Realism is over-rated, and even though they're using the same music and style JA just doesn't feel like a true AC game.

It is admirable that they're trying something new, but the "westernization" of Japanese games these days is pissing me off.

Here's hoping a huge drop-off in sales with bring NamcoBandai to their senses.
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
AlteisenNacht

I like the way the Ace Combat: Assault Horizon is looking so far I just hope their careful because I really hope it doesn't end up like H.A.W.X, but so far it's looking really good.
Amadi Akintunde

New Trailer showcasing the Close Range Assault system.

Low Quality Trailer and Screenshots are up.

Gametrailers Link

F-14D confirmed.
Gatx

Robo Jason Mk1 wrote:And I don't know where everyones getting the "On Rails" part? I see some fancy camera tricks, and a Heli part(cool!) and even a Attitude indicator, so why straight to worst possible idea's? even when the last 6 or so Aces have been doing fancy camera tricks as well! *Ace 5's US commercial comes to mind.*
Actually presumably the trailer shows actual gameplay, especially the way the button prompts appear in that quick time-y fashion that's so popular in action games nowadays. At certain points, starting from 0:27 of that announcement trailer that was linked, for example, the camera seems to move on its own path, while the plane will move from the left to the right side of the screen. Loving the music in the trailer though.

I kind of liked the whole "Strangereal" thing. It allowed them to tell some fairly interesting stories without stepping on anyone's toes. By setting in the real world now they have to make sure to make things politically correct and non-offensive and what not.