Ep. 063 - The Postmaster Strikes Back!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 063 - The Postmaster Strikes Back!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 063 - "The Postmaster Strikes Back!"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 195 min., 21 sec. (3:15:21) - 89.4 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:38:44

03. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:38:44 - 0:39:35

04. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:39:35 - 0:40:03

05. 1st Segment: "The Gundamn Mailbag Blowout!" (Part One)
Runtime: 0:40:03 - 1:46:55

06. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:46:55 - 1:47:44

07. 2nd Segment: "The Gundamn Mailbag Blowout!" (Part Two)
Runtime: 1:47:44 - 3:07:36

08. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 3:07:36 - 3:08:45

09. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 3:08:45 - 3:10:15

10. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 3:10:15 - 3:15:21

In this episode, we survive a nuclear explosion of questions from our awesome listeners as we catch-up on submissions to the Gundamn Mailbag! Now that we're caught up, put Chris back on task by posting new questions, stat!

Also, I'd like to thank the crazy crew at the SSAA Podcast for having me on as a guest host on their monthly gaming edition of their show! As you can guess, we spoke at length about my favorite video game developer, Capcom, discussing about their most popular franchises as well as some of their rarities over the decades.

SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast
Episode 65 - SSAG 5 - I Fell On The Spikes...Twice Actually
MP3 - iTunes - @SSAAPodcast on Twitter

Mad thanks to Doctor, Ritchie McBeefy, Mexican, & Peterson for putting up with me and my fanboy ranting not to mention having me be a part of this episode. After listening to this episode of Gundamn!, peep their website, download the latest episode, follow their Tweets & subscribe to them on iTunes! Don't forget to let them know that Gundamn! @ MAHQ sent you!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode

- Cold Open Drop
"30 Rock - Tina Fey On Her Favorite Episode" by Inside Media: Top TV Stars in Their Own Words
* from the Paley Center for Media (YouTube Channel)

- Intro Segment, Opening Song
"Metamorphoze" by Gackt
* from "Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation", Part One

- Intro Segment, Closing BGM
"Jealous of Victory" by Shigeaki Saegusa
* from the album "Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Symphonic Suite"

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM
"Final Mission ~ Quantum Burst" by Kawai Kenji
* from "Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie: Awakening of the Trailblazer"

- 1st Segment, Closing BGM
"ELS ~ Impregnability" by Kawai Kenji

- GoDaddy Commercial BGM
"Lady (Hear Me Tonight)" by Modjo
* from the album "Modjo"

- 2nd Segment, Opening BGM
"Innovade & Innovator" by Kawai Kenji

- 2nd Segment, Closing BGM
"The Battle of Strangers" by Kawai Kenji

- Outro BGM
"Glen Close (Instrumental)" produced by Trackezoids
* featured on the Binary Star album "Waterworld"

- Outro Drop
* from "Mobile Suit Gundam, Episode 1: Gundam Rising"

- Shinjuku Station & MAHQ Signoff
"See You Around" by Nate James
* from the EP "Funkdefining"

- Stinger Drop
"When It Rains, It Pours" by 30 Rock (TV Series)

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
mobiusdiablo

Re: Ep. 063 - The Postmaster Strikes Back!

NICE! My day has been made yet again. When I heard you guys switched Jabman's title to "Defender of DESTINY", I had to check to see. And it was, which made me laugh even more. Love the runthrough of the Mailbag, can't wait for next ep.

P.S. Do you know when that Gundam Extreme vs. game will come out for North America? I know it sounds like an idiotic fan idea, but given that Linkin Park of all people did the cover song, it would make sense that they get more money by marketing it out here.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Chris
Administrator

mobiusdiablo wrote:P.S. Do you know when that Gundam Extreme vs. game will come out for North America? I know it sounds like an idiotic fan idea, but given that Linkin Park of all people did the cover song, it would make sense that they get more money by marketing it out here.
In a word: Never. When it comes to North America, it seems the only Gundam games Bandai is interested in bringing over now are Dynasty Warriors. Which kind of sucks for me, because I don't like Dynasty Warriors. They haven't released a Gundam Vs. title here since Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam, which I think was back in 2006 or so. The only solution for you would be is if you have a PSP. I don't doubt that Extreme Vs will get a PSP release, and since the PSP is region free, you can import it from Japan and play it with no problems.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
jabman025

its official people.......also to my own amusment I now have my own saturday morning cartoon!

I may have to use that as a gag in one of my youtube videos.....

thanks for answering my question guys, in my own defense what I meant when I said "vague referances" to middle eastern culture I was just saying that the real prince of persia doesn't jump off walls and rewind time with a dagger, and as far as I know there is no bald tattooed wind sage running round riding a cast reject from the never ending story.

Oh and one more thing..... between Emporer Palpatine, the story about beware of the pedobear, and Soul Bro's comment on "young asian boys" this epsiode was a tad on the creepy side
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Chris
Administrator

jabman025 wrote:what I meant when I said "vague referances" to middle eastern culture I was just saying that the real prince of persia doesn't jump off walls and rewind time with a dagger, and as far as I know there is no bald tattooed wind sage running round riding a cast reject from the never ending story.
How do you know that sort of stuff never happened? :wink:
mobiusdiablo

Chris wrote:In a word: Never. When it comes to North America, it seems the only Gundam games Bandai is interested in bringing over now are Dynasty Warriors. Which kind of sucks for me, because I don't like Dynasty Warriors. They haven't released a Gundam Vs. title here since Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam, which I think was back in 2006 or so. The only solution for you would be is if you have a PSP. I don't doubt that Extreme Vs will get a PSP release, and since the PSP is region free, you can import it from Japan and play it with no problems.
Hmmm... Disappointing, but makes sense. I liked the DW Gundam games, but it does get repetitive. Looks like I'm going to have to get my PSP fixed (everything moves in the front/scrolls up)...*sigh* How much would I be looking at for importing a PSP game? 50, 60+?

And thanks for answering my question! Looks like I might have to talk to the Pedopowers that be about the entire East/West thing...
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Koshernova

Another great episode, guys. Am I the only one hoping for a Dennis/Palpatine Very Special Episode of Gundamn? I hope not!

Also yay, news I submitted got read, awesome. Now, I'll be the first to admit I don't know how old you guys are, but I guess it's nice to be called 'young' at 27, when most of the time I go to gigs, conventions or pubs and I'm made to feel like a goddamn granny.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
TakaTahuNuva

Haven't finished listening yet, but guys, you do know that you've already had a 10-minute long discussion about the "Shinji is the best character ever" question, back in episode 51, right? :P
ohhhh snap
VentZX

Always great to hear a new episode.

I'm in the June section of questions at the moment, and the question about when there'd be another original American mecha show, Chris gives an emphatic NO. Well...Sym-Bionic Titan on Cartoon Network has to count. It's the new show by Gendy Tartakovsky, and it's actually pretty good. It's on Fridays at 8:00pm EST on Cartoon Network. I recommend it. It's already 3 episodes in, but it's pretty episodic.

Now back to listening.
Vent Noir

Just listening to the Straight Talk Express at the moment. I don't have much experience with video game fandom, but IMO anime fans have NOTHING on comic book fans where bitching is concerned. Just look at the recent shitstorm over Wonder Woman's new costume (despite the fact that it's clearly a temporary situation meant to shake things up).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Soul Bro Ryu

Vent Noir wrote:Just look at the recent shitstorm over Wonder Woman's new costume (despite the fact that it's clearly a temporary situation meant to shake things up).
I was reminded of that after we recorded too. I must be one of the only people in the world that digs Diana's new costume. Her threads were overdue for an overhaul, and when they finally give her a design that not only isn't highly sexual & nonsensical to run around in, the fans lose their minds. In light of the recently announced new live-action TV series (produced by Boston Legal & Ally McBeal showheader David E. Kelley), I couldn't see the actress portraying Wonder Woman running around in anything but her new outfit, unless they want the show laughed out of television.

Folks can bring up Linda Carter all they want but to me, despite how attractive she was in the classic getup, she looked mad silly in it on a weekly basis. I'm sure she preferred the moments in the show where she was dressed down as "Diana Prince" than the scenes where she had to portray her alter ego.

Color me part of the minority, but I really hope her new design sticks around for a while. It makes sense and she looks great, even with less showing.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...
Soul Bro Ryu
jabman025

Soul Bro Ryu wrote: I was reminded of that after we recorded too. I must be one of the only people in the world that digs Diana's new costume. Her threads were overdue for an overhaul, and when they finally give her a design that not only isn't highly sexual & nonsensical to run around in, the fans lose their minds.
I actually really like the new look for wonder woman, no matter what DC tried to do giving her armor or weapons I always thought her outfit just made her look goofy and outdated. When I saw the plans for the new look all I could think was "its about damn time"
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Chris
Administrator

TakaTahuNuva wrote:Haven't finished listening yet, but guys, you do know that you've already had a 10-minute long discussion about the "Shinji is the best character ever" question, back in episode 51, right? :P
Oh yeah, we did. You have to understand that these podcasts all roll into each other after awhile, and episode 51 was a long time ago. I didn't remember until now that I went and asked that question out of order back then.
Mr Bushido

Nice an episode of only the mailbag. Oh and just fyi, the old RandomCuriosity is gone but a new one took it's place. Anyways thanks for answering my question. I've been waiting for this to be answered for months now.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
jcncasval76

On SoulBro's answer with regards to Asian actors in movies, let me bring up 2 names to further his point: John Lone & Russell Wong. Both actors had appeared in Hollywood movies, Lone, who starred in "The Year of the Dragon", how ironic I would actually mention that as well, and "Rush Hour 2", and Wong, who actually starred in his own TV series called "Vanishing Son" in the early 1990s, as well as movies "Joy Luck Club" & "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor". Neither of them really have much of a chance in Hollywood other than playing into "stereotype", and they went to the Asian market doing quite well there. Even when they bring Jackie Chan & Jet Li throughout the late 1990s to present, most of the movies don't focus their strengths, instead they focused just solely on the martial arts. On the other hand, they did much better job when I saw them in Chinese movies, thus begs me to believe in that even with actors and actresses like Korean musician Rain, and Donnie Yen (Hong Kong), Hollywood tends to just keep them with the stereotype thus creating a difference in creative ideas.

With regards to whether fandom ruins franchises, at least for the time being, I don't recall having a mass protect against end-products that were perceived as "alienate" the core fans. That was at least with Hollywood movies. Same cannot be said about sports fandom, specifically with greater irony in soccer commuinty. Now those fans are quite passionate, however, some literally takes it too far and literally starts a fight, thus is called hooliganism for the precise consequences (See 2006 World Cup).

Speaking of SoulBro's profession with the cable company, I have to ask you this question: what's with the deal when one certain community makes a petition on certain channels to be added to the cable system? what's the company's position on that?
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Soul Bro Ryu

jcncasval76 wrote:Speaking of SoulBro's profession with the cable company, I have to ask you this question: what's with the deal when one certain community makes a petition on certain channels to be added to the cable system? what's the company's position on that?
Sadly, I'm not the authority when it comes to the TV Programming side (since I'm a Tech Support Rep for Internet & Phone services), but I've seen time and time again that petitions or calls to your cable provider do work when it comes to the channels you want. Cable companies usually go for the channels they know will be watched, enjoyed and will attract new subscribers. Different areas, whether they are cities, counties or states get the channels that they think or research that their subscribers will care for in the long run. It's unfair, but at the moment, it's the rule of the land.

As I mentioned before, when it comes to cable, petitions WORK. The fellas may joke about me having an affinity for petitions, but it mainly comes to participating in a few that came through, mostly having to do with getting channels on my local provider.

- When I was eight and my family was stationed in Jacksonville, I wrote a letter to my cable company, asking to add the Disney Channel (which was a premium channel at the time). I received a reply from the provider months later, announcing that they acquired the channel after local interest was gauged. Pains me to see what happened to the channel in the 90's. Damn...

- When Cartoon Network started, the commercials for it on all the other Time-Warner networks mentioned that if one wanted the channel on their cable provider, but best thing to do was to call them and DEMAND it. That's what I did, several times a week. ^_^
We finally got it in a few months of it's debut, but since Time-Warner was our cable provider at the time, I'm sure it was part of the plan all along.

- A few years ago, the Anime Network was coordinating through the internet what areas wanted the channel and I helped with the petition effort to get it here locally.

If you can't get a petition organized, get your friends to call the customer service side of your local provider and let them know what channels you would like to see on the line-up, especially when someone you know across town has that channel and you both have the same provider. Be cool about it though :)
Soul Bro Ryu
Mu La Flaga

On the dubs answers you guys discussed browsing from my collection.

I found, some of Ocean's dubs to vary in quality.
Some of the show in my collection I am going to list off as good or bad ones and average ones.

Good:
Gundam SEED for the most part was good especially with Rau and Mwu La Flagga's dubbed version voices, SEED Destiny was good but there were 1-2 weaker sounding casted choices.
I do like ADV's work on Nadesico, despite some of the characters being overly loud or annoying(Izumi's dub voice), I actually like the Full Metal Panic dubs, Raxhephon, 08th MS team.
GaoGaiGar
Gravion and Gravion Zwei.
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
Neon Genesis Evangelion the series and the Rebuild movies.

Average: 0083, Heroic Age, Overman King Gainer, Detonator Orgun. Godannar(borderline good/average), Fafner(this one had some strong voice actors, but not all of them were top notch I noted)
Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz
Macross Plus
New Getter Robo
Innocent Venus

Bad: Aquarion(this one is borderline bad/average), Zeta Gundam(alot of the cast was off quite a bit, the only good ones to me were like Amuro, Hamarn, Scirocco, Sarah, Four, Apolly, Robterto and not too many others off top of my head, most of the other voices seemed irritating or wrong tone for the characters)

Those are my thoughts.
I will probably look in to other series more in time like probably Code Geass and Eureka Seven so that is good to know the dubs are considred higher calibre.
Then again my opinions on the dubs seem to vary a little from Chris'es.

I mean I could go in depth but it would take a while to go over the voices or voice actors I like or not too keen on ect.

The GaoGaiGar dub I found pretty good, I mean it's hard to match Nobuyuki Hiyama, Michael Sinterniklas did pretty good matching him though.

Also thanks for the answers, in return I resubmit my 2nd lot of questions that haven't been answered yet.
So got something in there.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
raijinz

I want to thank you guys again for a excellent episode, and for answering all the questions I submitted! It really made my day! It really feels nice to know you've contributed in a small way towards something you love, you know?

I can't help but feel the way thinks are going though, sometime in the future an episode of Gundamn will be hijacked by Emperor Palpatine, Dennis from Macross II (my man!) and The Troll! Man, is that gonna be an episode to remember! (or forget?)

Considering you pretty much blew through the backlog, I can now look forward to hearing an answer to the next question I post in the mailbag! I will try to make it a good one!

Keep up the good work guys! Don't feel bad Soul Bro, I too have a ton of shows I haven't gotten round to sitting down and watching! I feel your pain!
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

raijinz wrote: Keep up the good work guys! Don't feel bad Soul Bro, I too have a ton of shows I haven't gotten round to sitting down and watching! I feel your pain!
Please lets not make Soul Bro into a martyr. It might've sounded like a joke, but my explanation of Soul Bro's DVR/cable/Netflix addiction is quite real.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
raijinz

hawk of endymion wrote:
raijinz wrote: Keep up the good work guys! Don't feel bad Soul Bro, I too have a ton of shows I haven't gotten round to sitting down and watching! I feel your pain!
Please lets not make Soul Bro into a martyr. It might've sounded like a joke, but my explanation of Soul Bro's DVR/cable/Netflix addiction is quite real.
Really? If it gets really bad, will you and Chris have to step in with an intervention?
(sorry Soul Bro, I couldn't resist! :mrgreen: )
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx