Ep. 061 - All The Best Pilots Have Daddy Issues

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Re: Ep. 061 - All The Best Pilots Have Daddy Issues

Mu La Flaga wrote: Although I suppose for some people the length is an issue.
They should make sometime, it'll change their life.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:
They should make sometime, it'll change their life.
If not all you need is Delorean, a flux capacitor, 1.21 Gigawatts of energy and Time Circuits, you could make time any time 8)
mobiusdiablo

hawk of endymion wrote:Isn't that the appeal of podcasts? You can listen at your own pace and skip around if needed? It's not a requirement to listen to every minute of Gundamn.
Awww, so you're telling me that my entire summer (or at least most of it) was for nothing? lol.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
wantfastcars

Wait, is Gundamn! audio only? I have an iPod Touch and the two podcasts I watch are both video. Is there even such thing as audio-only?
"The God of Death is BACK FROM HELL!!!!" -- Duo Maxwell, AKA The God of Death
mobiusdiablo

Well, yah it's audio only, but that might be a good thing within itself. I listen with my PSP, and I can't hold that much stuff on it. A video file would be murder.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Chris
Administrator

wantfastcars wrote:Wait, is Gundamn! audio only? I have an iPod Touch and the two podcasts I watch are both video. Is there even such thing as audio-only?
I guess you're not very experienced with podcasts, since they started out as audio only, and the majority of them still are that way.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Some Kind of Robot

I usually play episodes on my commute to work and home. Better than the radio.

What song was that at the end? Was pretty good. Well actually there's a lot of op's and ep's that I like but don't recognize and I thought it'd be a good idea to post whatever bgm you have playing in your episode summary. Would that be a problem?
If it turns burns banks and rolls...
Momaru

Wait. Call me incredulous, but did Berny's lament really get linked to by NAMBLA? If so, *pat pat* While I couldn't help laugh my ass off at this, Soulbro I feel for you man! I watched the video, and I can definitely see how someone could misconstrue Berny's relationship with Al if they haven't seen the OVA. I also liked the comment that Reinhard got so screwed up by his dad that he decided to take over the universe and actually did! Too true, too true. Although I will argue was really raised by Annarose, and if it wasn't for her, the things that Reinhard achieved wouldn't of happened. LOGH even explicitly states this as being as such.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Momaru wrote:Wait. Call me incredulous, but did Berny's lament really get linked to by NAMBLA? If so, *pat pat* While I couldn't help laugh my ass off at this, Soulbro I feel for you man!

No it isn't. But, glad you got a laugh.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
skyknight

So it is true, Larry King is Emporer Palpatine! :mrgreen:

OK Daddy Issues, should we have Dr. Phil and Jerry Springer in the house???

I think you guys did answer the question about this theme several times in the past, as this is related to who the audience of mecha anime are. In fact most are young males, who may went through teenage rebellion against their own parents.

I did see the Gundam Trilogy as a regression of the role of parents, Amuro had a caring father and a super-passive mother, Kamile had a ass-kissing, cheating, backstabbing father and a workaholic mother, while Juda has none. But all three rise up to save the day, granted you can argue if any one of them was able to find peace in the end. Yes, the Zabi's are one f"ed up family, which guys did miss that mark.

I haven't pick up the pace for V Gundam, but already I am sure I will see more dead people. And I did agree with you guys on Unicorn about the strong father-son connection that was sorely missing from all Gundam universe back when you did the podcast review of Unicorn (can't wait for Vol.2!).

For Gundam Wing, I was kinda of disappointed (like SBR) that Relena grew up very fast (compared to other 5!), I was hoping that she had some of the teenage girl, cynical attitude. And boy how fast her mom was gone from the screen! The parents in SEED/Destiny were pretty close to real life, which I thought was good. And yes, Kira's creator/"father" and Mu's father are both dicks for playing god! Gundam 00, I did like the concept of crossing path between those who fight and those who live among us - you got Setsuna killing his own parents and coming to regret it later on, Louisse losing her family and driven towards insane, and Andrei being a whiner by blaming all wrongs on his father, Sergei.

Code Geass, truth be told, you may need to watch the websoides, radio story, and perhaps buy the "official" fan guide book to get the clear story on everything. I still don't know what visions the producers had. But from what I watch and listen, Suzaku's dad is NOT a good man, he is a shrewd politician that wanted to stay in power. From the radio story, Suzaku's father took in Lelouch and Nunally as a political arrangement, with the goal that he would married Nunally and become a part of the Britannia royal family (a similar plot for R2); and he didn't cared about the massive lost of Japanese lives as he was hoping that he could secure a safe position for himself in Britannia.

Charles and Mariana, man, those are really f"ked-up parents to have, and quite a pity for Lelouch to know the truth about mommy dearest. As for Kallen, I still don't know the "official" story about her, other than that she is a "half-breed." I was hoping that R2 would explore more about Kallen's background, and how she could be wrong about her parents - I was hoping in the line of 2009 Star Trek, where Spock's father admitted to him that he really loved his human mother, that the relation was not politically. After all, Kallen did have an older brother; if her mother never loved her father, why she didn't have an abortion? (FYI, I did study several courses on Japan in college, and Japan does have a higher percentage of women choosing it compared to US, but I stop here for no further discussion).
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Only point I'd contest is regarding the parents in Fafner. Yeah, there were some real crappy ones (like Kouyou's and Maya's dad), but by and large Fafner was filled with great parents. Yes they had to send their kids out to fight, but they hated every second of it. They tried their best to give them happy lives outside the fighting, and when some of them died their parents were absolutely devastated. I definitely hold Fafner as an example of a mecha show that kicks the bad parents trope mostly out the window.
Wow, I will agree on something with Pedobear North! I think you guys missed this spot big. For one, all population are test-tube babies, so its up to survivors to nurture the younger generation to continue life and survive, so every qualified child has to fight. Shoko's death is still of the most memorable, as she spilled out the harsh truth about her existence towards her mother, and coming to regret it just before she died. But otherwise, most stay together as a big "family" to survive and prevail against the Festrum.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100