Ep. 061 - All The Best Pilots Have Daddy Issues

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 061 - All The Best Pilots Have Daddy Issues

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 061 - "All The Best Pilots Have Daddy Issues"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 132 min., 20 sec. (2:12:20) - 60.6 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:39:01

03. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:39:01 - 0:39:58

04. Extended Segment: "The State of Parenting in Mecha Anime!"
Runtime: 0:39:58 - 2:04:27

05. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:04:27 - 2:05:57

06. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:05:57 - 2:06:27

07. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:06:27 - 2:12:20

The Topic Suggestion Thread strikes again! Mechatalk.net regular, Genese Gundam, submitted a great topic about the varied effects of parenting on the pilots featured in Mecha & Sci-Fi Anime. It lead to an inspired discussion & many props go out to Genese Gundam for the topic suggestion!

After listening to this episode, head on over to AAAPodcast.com - home of the Anime Addicts Anonymous podcast! Hosts and friends of Gundamn, Chiaki & Mitsugi (who appeared in Ep. 40) invited Soul Bro Ryu to join them as a guest host on the latest episode of AAA, where they discussed the latest news in Anime, review different anime series (Video Girl Ai, Paradise Kiss & Arc The Lad), and rap about the horrors/benefits the implementation of 3D visual technology in the medium that we love so much.

Anime Addicts Anonymous
Ep. 51 - 3D in Anime with Soul Bro Ryu from Gundamn! @ MAHQ
Episode Listings - MP3 - iTunes - Forums

Look forward to appearances from AAA on upcoming episodes of Gundamn! @ MAHQ as well as further appearances of the Gundamn crew on their podcast! In the meantime, peep their website, download the latest episode, participate on their forums & subscribe to them on iTunes! Much love goes out to Mitsugi & Chiaki for having me on this episode, and when you visit, make sure to let them know that Gundamn! @ MAHQ sent you!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Dollow

Re: Ep. 061 - All The Best Pilots Have Daddy Issues

I am downloading right now. awesome this has made my day.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Mu La Flaga

Pretty interesting discussion on parents all in all for the series.
I'm surprised you guys skipped over the Zabis and their whole convuluted mess in MSG.
Also Kira and Cagali's mum in SEED was Via Hibiki.
You also missed out on Flay Alster and her father George Alster for one for SEED.

I also noted from 00, you skipped over Louise's parents.
All in all interesting discussion, small audio glitches that made it hard to hear, but not too common in the episode.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/ ... 7color.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/ ... oralt2.jpg

Finally done. Thank you for supplying the background noise. Check out my thread if you want details on the project. =o

Thanks for mentioning ZOE, Chris. And your impersonations are a real highlight of the show.

Ugh, I am so sad about Satoshi Kon. Favorite director..... -_______-
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Taekmkm

Eureka 7:

Eureka's a decent mother, if you ignore the whole "she's the reason they're orphans" thingie....

Godannar:

Anna's mother would be an understanding type, though which is more understanding (piloting a giant robot, or letting the 17 year-old marry the 30 year old) is a toss-up.

Orguss:

Here's another case of a guy accidentally trying to hit on his daughter (Well, time travel bullcrap so not totally his fault).

It seems Super Robot pilots have better chances of good parenting compared to Real robot shows. So ironically giant dinosaurs invading increases your chance of non-orphanage.
Flame-X

XD

Thanks for answering my mailbag question guys!
Bill Whipton (sorry if I spelled that last name wrong) makes AMVs? nice! Does he have like an amv.org profile or youtube page? I'd like to see his works.
mobiusdiablo

loved the episode, and the return of the Emperor. One thing though, if Neo does Yoda, and Chris does Palpatine, who's SBR? I would say whiny Anikien (Soul Bro's man for Star Wars), but Neo's asking those questions...
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
The Fowl Sorcerous

Chris keeps disappearing for long stretches during recording. Is he batman?
[[lorem ipsum]]
mobiusdiablo

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:Chris keeps disappearing for long stretches during recording. Is he batman?
No dude, he's a ninja. A troll-killing, beam saber-toting, mech-riding ninja
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
TakaTahuNuva

02. Intro: "Neo News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:00:00
You forgot to change the time here, SoulBro. It's supposed to be 0:00:43 - 0:39:01. :)
Taekmkm wrote:Eureka 7:

Eureka's a decent mother, if you ignore the whole "she's the reason they're orphans" thingie....
Also in Eureka - Renton's dad, which was a pretty cool guy from what we've seen. And there was the whole saga with Charles and Ray not having a kid of their own, and having Renton fulfill that role. Excellent topic of discussion right there.
ohhhh snap
DepthCharge

I don't know if u had mentioned it but the spiral king in gurenn lagon. He should win daddy of the year bcuz he gave a new meaning " go to your room." aka into ur coffin little Missy.
Genese Gundam

Ooh, I knew you'd have a field day with this topic! :D
That was another great episode guys!
My Stop Motion Animation Videos!

'I wear a Fez now. Fezzes are cool.'
jabman025

great show guys, Live with Emporer Palpatine still creeps the hell out of me, but great show none the less.

Oh and Soul Bro, love the Megas XLR theme song you used in transition, I started sing right along when it came on......the people around me thought I was nuts....but it was still fun
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Strike Zero

Great episode as always, though I was somewhat surprised you guys neglected to talk about Sergei and Andre when you got to Gundam 00's parents. There's some father/son dynamic that could have used a bit of work on their part.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
hotlimit

Great episode guys, but man, I felt like I got trolled when you joked about them making a Perfect Grade Pallas Athene! That was the second model I bought (after The O), and it was awesome! But yeah, probably a bad business move hahaa.
Destiny_Gundam

Only point I'd contest is regarding the parents in Fafner. Yeah, there were some real crappy ones (like Kouyou's and Maya's dad), but by and large Fafner was filled with great parents. Yes they had to send their kids out to fight, but they hated every second of it. They tried their best to give them happy lives outside the fighting, and when some of them died their parents were absolutely devastated. I definitely hold Fafner as an example of a mecha show that kicks the bad parents trope mostly out the window.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
wantfastcars

I just have a question - I'd really like to get into the whole Gundamn! podcast, but are all the episodes this long? I don't have time to watch 60+ 2 hour or more shows. Please tell me this is an exception, and most run 10-15 minutes long. I want to to get into this, and I think it would be really cool, but I simply don't have the time if this is the case.
"The God of Death is BACK FROM HELL!!!!" -- Duo Maxwell, AKA The God of Death
Destiny_Gundam

wantfastcars wrote:I just have a question - I'd really like to get into the whole Gundamn! podcast, but are all the episodes this long? I don't have time to watch 60+ 2 hour or more shows. Please tell me this is an exception, and most run 10-15 minutes long. I want to to get into this, and I think it would be really cool, but I simply don't have the time if this is the case.
I hate to break it to you, but this is actually a shorter episode. Some of the earlier ones would run over 4 hours, but these days most are around 2, maybe 3 hours.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Isn't that the appeal of podcasts? You can listen at your own pace and skip around if needed? It's not a requirement to listen to every minute of Gundamn.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:Isn't that the appeal of podcasts? You can listen at your own pace and skip around if needed? It's not a requirement to listen to every minute of Gundamn.
That is what I figured.
Or you know if your out and about just put it on your music player and listen to it when have the chance.

Although I suppose for some people the length is an issue.